Application for Test Team - APPROVED

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Application for Test Team - APPROVED

Post by zenjah » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Test Team Application

1. Which team are you applying to?
Test
2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
I started on Entropy in 2004. I also played on Wrath, Redemption, Vindication, Braialla, Saedron, and several wipes of Test.
3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
I am experienced in most aspects of Shadowbane, especially the little details. I've built most types of toons and built and maintained a number of cities. I like to experiment with off-the-wall builds and tactics, and this sometimes leads to the discovery of obscure bugs.

I spent considerable time adding content to the Morloch Wiki towards the end of live, as can be seen in the histories of many entries. Halethrane made me an admin of the wiki back then, and I would be happy to help with updates and maintenance again if desired. This sort of drudge work is not for everyone, but I actually enjoy it.

My most valuable asset is my attention to detail and librarian-like approach to information. I work in an academic library IRL doing metadata production, and have also worked as a programmer, database developer, in tech support, and in software quality assurance. My combination of RL skills, obsession with Shadowbane, and inclination to help others to enjoy the game make me a valuable asset for the team.
4. You are going to test a zone. What aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
I'd use the bug report templates and make sure to include server version and specific details (including those found with testing commands, and including screenshots where helpful). I would also search the forums (and elsewhere) for prior discussion of any bugs and add links to gather the information together.
5. How would go about defining a bug, then reporting it?  How would you differentiate between ‘how it should work’ and ‘how I think it should work’?
In order to get at 'how it should work' I mine patch notes, the wiki, old screenshots, prior discussions on these forums, and any other 'evidence' I can find on the internet. Facts are sometimes hard to establish, and so sometimes people's memories are all we have, but it is important to differentiate between well-documented "facts" versus strongly held beliefs. Both are useful so long as the difference between the two is kept in mind.

I've reported a number of bugs in the past, and would provide links as examples but it seems that I don't have access any more to the old "closed beta" bug reports.

Here is an example of a bug report where I follow the appropriate format, include specifics, include a somewhat exhaustive list of links to related discussions, and provide my analysis of what is going on:

refining powers that are required for other powers-RESOLVED
6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
I am mature, friendly, knowledgeable, and a strong supporter of this project.
7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project weekly?
This will vary. At least 5 hours per week, but can be as much as 10 to 20 hours depending on RL and the needs of the team. When there is a need for a big push I can step up for that. I am likely to spend more time actively testing, as opposed to just stumbling across bugs while playing, when there are clear goals.

Thanks!

See also, my application for Closed Beta from 2012.
Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

Candi
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Application for Test Team

Post by Candi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Thank you for your thorough answers on your app :). Myself and the team will review it and I will let you know one way or the other within the week.

Mac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Application for Test Team

Post by Mac » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:17 pm

I approve +1 :cool:
My sig gallery / Working Mac client, tested on Mac OSX 10.6: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89741132/Shadowbane.zip
PSD file of guild symbols for crests: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 ... sFINAL.psd

Candi
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: Application for Test Team - APPROVED

Post by Candi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:33 am

I'm happy to let you know you're being brought aboard as a junior tester. Congrats and welcome aboard zenjah!

Return to “Test Team Submissions”