YDD's Test Team App - DECLINED

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
Candi
SBE Team
SBE Team

YDD's Test Team App - DECLINED

Post by Candi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:35 am

I received this app via PM. Please post any feedback here.
YDD wrote:1. Which team are you applying to?
Team as in... specific testing department? I'm not sure, I'm open to whatever though.

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?

I've played SB since live release, as "hardcore", and I've participated in pretty much every aspect of the game. I played on Mourning, Cataclysm, & finished my SB live days on the test server. I stopped playing SB live sometime after elite gear and potions were introduced. There are some parts of the game that I have only recently participated in, and familiarized myself with (mines & specific gear crafting).

I used to have 2-3 cities at any given time, I've done farming, I co-founded possibly the first merchant hut town ever made in SB, and of course I've been involved with every type of PvP the game has to offer. I've been the richest player on the server, I've ran my own guilds, and I've ran with some of the best guilds and players the game has had.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.

My preferred SB play style is what some call a "roamer". So, I'd say that coming up with new builds for various situations (mostly coming up with FOTM killers, and small group killers) is one of my strengths. I like trying out new builds that make no sense in theory; so I have a pretty good chance of finding issues with character spells, abilities, and general mechanics. I have made a couple Fury builds of which are amazing. I am very familiar with & understand how the PvP mechanics work, quite well.

Other than character building, I have strong city building and management skills as well. Making gold in game is something I am very good at.

4. You are going to test a zone. What aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?

Scenario, or fact? There are many, many things I can think of; which could be considered important information; regarding a zone. Water areas which act like land areas, water holes, map holes, object placement (buildings, trees, rocks, towers) & appearance, mob locations (one out in left field somewhere, or out of place), stuck spots, certain areas or scenarios (even settings) which cause low FPS, LOS issues or walk thru walls... I can think of a lot of things!

I suppose I'd need a little more information as to what aspects of the zone I would be testing... but either way, I would basically include pretty much anything and everything. I am good (so I've been told) at making outlines, and relaying information clearly. I will usually go over everything multiple times; to make sure I am getting the information relayed correctly... but also keep the presentation short and simple.

5. How would go about defining a bug, then reporting it? How would you differentiate between ‘how it should work’ and ‘how I think it should work’?

I have some limited programming experience, so I understand that fixing a bug requires recreating the issue.

In defining an ability bug, I would do it similar to this:

A. Version / Date / Time

B. Spell / Class / Race / Level / Zone

C. The issue.
- The nature in which I intended to use the ability.
- What is, or is not happening.

D. A description of how I found the bug.
- Factual circumstances regarding the issue.

E. Any possible circumstances that could have caused the issue.
- Shortly before... Accidentally did this or that; while running and looting at the same time... or popped into or out of either stance / stealth / etc.

As for ‘how it should work’ and ‘how I think it should work’:

I assume you are asking me... Do I understand that my opinion of how something should work, may not necessarily be the way it should work. My answer is yes, I do understand that. For instance...

Scenario / Question -
Shades are invulnerable to blind.
I cast blind on a shade, and see that there is no animation indicating that my blind hit said shade, nor does it seem that said shade is blinded.
Do I report a bug based on whether or not I think shades should be invulnerable to blind... as a preference?

Answer -
No.

Scenario / Question -
Walls are walls, and ceilings are ceilings.
I begin attacking a player.
Player states: OMFG, you glitcher! Why are you abusing LOS??? I was inside a building!!
On my end, as I was attacking said player; I saw him standing right in front of me, as if both characters were outdoors.
Do I report a LOS / Sync bug?

Answer -
Yes.

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?

I am self employed, so I have plenty of time to offer. As to how much time; my answer would be "More than average.". On a professional level; I am able to do things that are required, come up with useful ideas, and solutions to problems without having to be asked. I have a very strong and lengthy back ground in communications & IT, so I am not tech illiterate. Further, I'd like to have something to do... anything that can help me pass time, would be great for me. That said, I think I would be quite beneficial to your efforts.

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project weekly?

See answer to number 6.

Mac
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: YDD's Test Team App

Post by Mac » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:52 pm

I say +1. His SB experience is a bit dated, but his answers are analytically and concise. Also, his limited programming skills may be a valuable asset for the Test Team.
My sig gallery / Working Mac client, tested on Mac OSX 10.6: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89741132/Shadowbane.zip
PSD file of guild symbols for crests: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 ... sFINAL.psd

Candi
SBE Team
SBE Team

Re: YDD's Test Team App

Post by Candi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:07 am

Declined.

Return to “Test Team Submissions”