Human or Aelfborn RA (UA)

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Human or Aelfborn RA (UA)

Post by Chariakin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Hey,
I'm a bit bored so I tried to come up with a build for an RA and I don't know which one to choose. The Aelborn or the Human. I know the Aelfborn as a useful racial, but the human has 58 or so more points which isn't neglectable.

Aelf would be :
Brilliant's Mind
Hearty
Sold to the pits
TaN
Warlord's Page ( I don't know if this one's really good)

Human would be :
Born of the Iryndu
Brilliant's Mind
Healthy as an Ox
Sold to the pits
TaN

Both would be +35int +35 con with 50%LA and UA

Any advice/critic about the race choice and overall build please ?

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Human or Aelfborn RA (UA)

Post by Moco » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Both are very viable for the resist build. I normally go Human due to the extra trains which = 100% la.. which = more resists

Another viable version is Bird due to Savant(root/hot) & of course flight to run people down
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:40 pm

lucky birds get the only heals as RA.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I really liked a past Ara I had and even the stam heal is useful. Having 100% LA would be useful because you'd gain even more attr,dmg for your assy abilites (and of course you'd win the stylebane).

For jewels I'd go Jade of Genius for ring, hood cloth. and Jade of Power for the Amulet but maybe Lapis of Shaper would be better I don't know.

I don't really which values I should aim for in Shadowmastery, UA and UAM.
Last edited by Chariakin on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrought
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Wrought » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Well if you're going bird you can't get a cloth hood.

Of the three; they all have their perks. Obviously the human would come out on top in trains. Aracoix being most survivable/manoeuvrable (but overall, most point tight). Aelf for the snare break/immunity. It boils down to what capabilities you want your build to have.
Exalted

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Wrought wrote:Well if you're going bird you can't get a cloth hood.

Of the three; they all have their perks. Obviously the human would come out on top in trains. Aracoix being most survivable/manoeuvrable (but overall, most point tight). Aelf for the snare break/immunity. It boils down to what capabilities you want your build to have.
I think I'll go Human having already played a bird once or twice. I like having a bit more points on my chars. Having 100% looks like fun so I may be trying this out.

I think i'd go for something like Shadowmantle,Steal breath,Stun,blind,backstab and of course chilling shadow being GMed.

I'd also go for 90 trains in dodge, 70% in UAM, 100% in shadowmastery (maybe more ?) 130ish% in UA.

I'm still not decided on the jewels although I think jade first might be the best a cloth head same as the rings and Morloch's of proc (at least one vampyre).

Anything I should change ?

Wrought
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Wrought » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:02 pm

If your not playing the 'hybrid nuker' type RA, you wont need SM past 97% (enough for Shadow Mantle). You can put 90 points into UA if you want... I personally wouldn't. You'll have a defense debuff and blind so you won't really need the bump in attack rating.

Jewels is up to you. If you want stronger procs go int, con for survivability, and 'of Shadowmastery' for spell ATR (such as Steal Breath/Shadow Touch) without having to blow trough your Blindess just to land a DoT.
Exalted

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah I hesitated taking SB to GM but I'd have to go 50% LA or not have a lot of shadowmastery and just taking the points from UA.

If I keep almost the same build, where would you think the best place for those point would be ? Shadow bolt ?

P.S.: 130ish is more like 80 points since I have Sold to the pits but still

Edit: I just thought of something is the cloth Assy hood mage restricted ? I can't remember.

Wrought
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Wrought » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 pm

I always GM steal breath. It makes things easier when your target is trying to flee while stun immunity is still active. I would advise taking UA to only 110%. The left over points you can do what you want with. I don't really have any information in what build you're trying to go with exactly, so I can't actually give you a solid suggestion.

The Assassin Robes can be taken by rogues, this includes the hood.
Exalted

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 am

Wrought wrote:I always GM steal breath. It makes things easier when your target is trying to flee while stun immunity is still active. I would advise taking UA to only 110%. The left over points you can do what you want with. I don't really have any information in what build you're trying to go with exactly, so I can't actually give you a solid suggestion.

The Assassin Robes can be taken by rogues, this includes the hood.
I shouldn't have abreviated Shadow Bolt by SB since steal breath is also SB. Yeah I meant Shadow Bolt since Steal Breath is not option for me too since I don't have access to running, it's too good.

I already said in my first post my starting runes and ig runes.

I'd have :
97% Shadowmastery
100% LA
90 trains in dodge
110% UA
70% UAM

Backstab GM
Poison Blade GM (Does this need 20 or 40 points ?)
Blind GM
Shadow Touch GM
Steal Breath GM
Chilling Shadows GM
Shadow Mantle GM
Sneak GM
And the usual to one train

I'd still have points to train either the plague or Shadowbolt to 20.

Wrought
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Wrought » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:41 am

Not certain because I haven't played a RA since live (made the switch to MA), but I believe Poison Blade is given with 20 trains.

Shadowbolt isn't really worth training if you're not going to GM it as the damage more than doubles at rank 40. Also, I typically like to see Shadow Mastery at 120% (base) if I intend to be utilizing Shadow Bolt heavily. If you're not going to utilize it that much then don't train Shadow Bolt past 5 or so, if at all. If you are going to make use of Shadow Bolt often, it's going to require going into a slightly different realm. You'll want int/focus gear which means you'll be sacrificing overall staying power (HP, resist). At this point you'll be going into the hybrid universe.

Also I would suggest re-thinking your starting traits. As going human with those traits you'll find your stat points crippled. By Healthy as an Ox I'm assuming you meant Warlord's Page. If you're taking 40's you're going to come up short of your hard-cap. Try re-working to take 35's and putting the rest into Spirit as you'll need all the mana you can get. Even on a rogue.

You can take Unarmed Mastery down to 60% as well. You have Chilling Shadows, you don't need the weapon power attack speed debuff (given at 70% UAM).
Exalted

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for the advices. Yeah I didn't play much of RA (Had one or two birds on different servers), always preferred MA.

Saal
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Saal » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 am

I'm going to advocate Aelfborn here if this toon is ever intended to leave the open tree and hit HZs/guards/mines, simply due to the prevalence of bow scouts and thieves with BH. that + running will leave you in the dirt even after Steal Breath.
Sig by Vervandi
Gooya wrote:This is the most successful troll thread in the whole history of shadowbane.
diesl80 wrote:Please cry somewhere else this game is serious and I take everything here serious.

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:24 am

Saal wrote:I'm going to advocate Aelfborn here if this toon is ever intended to leave the open tree and hit HZs/guards/mines, simply due to the prevalence of bow scouts and thieves with BH. that + running will leave you in the dirt even after Steal Breath.
Yeah it's a tough choice, since I love having a lot of points, but seeing the CB and scouts/thiefs and huntress everywhere I think an Aelfborn could be really useful. I really like having 100% for the style.

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:30 am

Wrought wrote:Not certain because I haven't played a RA since live (made the switch to MA), but I believe Poison Blade is given with 20 trains.

Shadowbolt isn't really worth training if you're not going to GM it as the damage more than doubles at rank 40. Also, I typically like to see Shadow Mastery at 120% (base) if I intend to be utilizing Shadow Bolt heavily. If you're not going to utilize it that much then don't train Shadow Bolt past 5 or so, if at all. If you are going to make use of Shadow Bolt often, it's going to require going into a slightly different realm. You'll want int/focus gear which means you'll be sacrificing overall staying power (HP, resist). At this point you'll be going into the hybrid universe.

Also I would suggest re-thinking your starting traits. As going human with those traits you'll find your stat points crippled. By Healthy as an Ox I'm assuming you meant Warlord's Page. If you're taking 40's you're going to come up short of your hard-cap. Try re-working to take 35's and putting the rest into Spirit as you'll need all the mana you can get. Even on a rogue.

You can take Unarmed Mastery down to 60% as well. You have Chilling Shadows, you don't need the weapon power attack speed debuff (given at 70% UAM).
Thanks for this nice feedback. As I said I want to use 35's. Sorry english isn't my native language, I didn't understand what you meant about my stats points being crippled.Could you explain it differently please ?

Saal
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Saal » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:19 pm

I personally put a point into Shadowbolt as a long range spell interrupt/sprint stutter on fleeing toons. comes in handy occasionally :)
Sig by Vervandi
Gooya wrote:This is the most successful troll thread in the whole history of shadowbane.
diesl80 wrote:Please cry somewhere else this game is serious and I take everything here serious.

Chariakin
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chariakin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:57 am

I wonder if I should use two vampyre procs or just one ? Any take on this ?

Saal
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Saal » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 am

I typically use one, if any. They can help out with survivability quite a bit, but I value the increased dmg of obliv or mental procs more. Personal preference really; try out both and see what works for you.
Sig by Vervandi

Return to “Assassin, Harbinger of Death”