Cannot find a book. need help

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Wife is trying to find a book from when she was younger. can't figure out the name, but have found 2 other people looking for it on forums. Here are the two descriptions if anyone by chance would know what it was.

Image
and
An old woman/spirit/witch has the ability to move into new bodies or "shells" in order to stay alive forever. In the book, a teen girl meets an older woman and the old woman moves into her body to take it over as her new shell before the old woman's body dies. The teen girl may be adopted or newly part of this old woman's family for some reason.

I don't remember if they switch bodies (young girl into older body) or share the young girl's body for a period of time. I also don't remember if the younger girl overcomes the takeover of her body or not. There is also a young male character.

I read this book over and over in the '90s. I had a paperback copy. The cover art showed an old woman with a young girl's face sitting in a chair, possibly a rocking chair. The girl's face looked shocked.
Image

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Bump. Finding this will end with great reward.
Image

CheckYoTrack
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by CheckYoTrack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:55 pm

I am on this for you Balice.
Image

Image

Going After Your Sons-Winners of pre-December 2012 Closed Beta Dalgoth

CheckYoTrack
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by CheckYoTrack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Do you know around when it was published?
Image

Image

Going After Your Sons-Winners of pre-December 2012 Closed Beta Dalgoth

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:26 pm

The guess is late 70s to earlier 90s
Image

Nefastus
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Nefastus » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Sounds a bit like Fallen with Denzel Washington. :P
Image
2nd Chapter GL of Warrior Nation
Founder of Dead Eternity
GL of Enclave
Nefastus | HolyCircle | SutsafenPL | Faldron

cashmoneyflow
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 4:29 am

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by cashmoneyflow » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Sounds kinda like the Skeleton Key...
Image
"Heyzeuss"I love playing under CN tags, no drama or at least none that I can understand. Makes playing the game much more enjoyable.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by tooshifty » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 am

The old testament!
Image
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

ConspiracyTheorist
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by ConspiracyTheorist » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:26 am

Balice wrote:Wife is trying to find a book from when she was younger. can't figure out the name, but have found 2 other people looking for it on forums. Here are the two descriptions if anyone by chance would know what it was.

[ Image ]
and
An old woman/spirit/witch has the ability to move into new bodies or "shells" in order to stay alive forever. In the book, a teen girl meets an older woman and the old woman moves into her body to take it over as her new shell before the old woman's body dies. The teen girl may be adopted or newly part of this old woman's family for some reason.

I don't remember if they switch bodies (young girl into older body) or share the young girl's body for a period of time. I also don't remember if the younger girl overcomes the takeover of her body or not. There is also a young male character.

I read this book over and over in the '90s. I had a paperback copy. The cover art showed an old woman with a young girl's face sitting in a chair, possibly a rocking chair. The girl's face looked shocked.
I shall assist.

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:43 am

ConspiracyTheorist wrote:
Balice wrote:Wife is trying to find a book from when she was younger. can't figure out the name, but have found 2 other people looking for it on forums. Here are the two descriptions if anyone by chance would know what it was.

[ Image ]
and
An old woman/spirit/witch has the ability to move into new bodies or "shells" in order to stay alive forever. In the book, a teen girl meets an older woman and the old woman moves into her body to take it over as her new shell before the old woman's body dies. The teen girl may be adopted or newly part of this old woman's family for some reason.

I don't remember if they switch bodies (young girl into older body) or share the young girl's body for a period of time. I also don't remember if the younger girl overcomes the takeover of her body or not. There is also a young male character.

I read this book over and over in the '90s. I had a paperback copy. The cover art showed an old woman with a young girl's face sitting in a chair, possibly a rocking chair. The girl's face looked shocked.
I shall assist.
You were the main reason i posted this here. Thank you.
Image

Vervandi
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 6544
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Anti-Scout Advocate

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Vervandi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 am

I tried and ironically, the only thing I came across was your wife (I'm assuming) looking for the book on another forum about 3-4 days ago. I thought it would be easy to find something like this by just googling the basic plot, but it is actually very difficult.
“some days, some nights, some live, some die, in the way of the Jen'e'tai, some fight, some bleed, sun up to sun down, the sons of a battlecry ”

"Every day I worry all day, about what's waiting in the bushes of love."

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:49 am

Vervandi wrote:I tried and ironically, the only thing I came across was your wife (I'm assuming) looking for the book on another forum about 3-4 days ago. I thought it would be easy to find something like this by just googling the basic plot, but it is actually very difficult.
Yes. It has been messing with me, because I thought I was master googler.
Image

ConspiracyTheorist
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by ConspiracyTheorist » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Ok this is a pain in the ass. Is there a name or city or anything particular to the story to search for?

Gooya
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1109
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Gooya » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Seems a lot like the movie Skeleton Key

ConspiracyTheorist
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by ConspiracyTheorist » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm

I found posts from her from 2014! Good lawrd!

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:53 pm

The skeleton key is about voodoo. Also, the other people become like semi paralyzed and can't speak, and die after a little bit of time. Also, no adoption in that movie and it's a couple.
Image

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm

I don’t remember. Those two reviews you posted were exactly what the book is about. The only thing I could add is that I THINK the lady was ancient Egyptian and that in the end the little girl realized after she was switched to the old lady body that she now had the ability to switch to someone else and did.

Kim
her e-mail to me
Image

zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Cape Breton

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by zenjah » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:34 pm

A powerful, spooky and disturbing novel, full of dark twists and turns, from the author of The Great Blue Yonder. Eleven-year-old Carly is lonely. She's short with red hair and freckles, and she'd love to be different - like Meredith, the new girl in her class. But although Meredith is tall and willowy, and quite clever and a talented actress, there's something not quite right about her. Meredith is an orphan who lives with her elderly granny. But Meredith is clearly in charge. And when Carly finds herself chatting to Meredith's wrinkly granny one afternoon, she hears a story that she cannot bring herself to believe. A story about an old witch and a willowy young girl - a young life stolen; an eleven-year-old trapped in an elderly body. 'Meredith' is not Meredith at all. Meredith is stuck in Granny's body - and needs Carly's help to escape...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Stolen-Alex-S ... 0333968158

Image

That it?

EDIT: Looks like this was first published in 2003, so I guess that would seem to rule it out. But it sure seems similar.
Image
Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:55 pm

That's not it, but yeah, seems close.
Image

CheckYoTrack
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by CheckYoTrack » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm

I've been looking. I have turned up absolutely nothing.
Image

Image

Going After Your Sons-Winners of pre-December 2012 Closed Beta Dalgoth

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:16 pm

CheckYoTrack wrote:I've been looking. I have turned up absolutely nothing.
Well thanks for nothing.
Image

CheckYoTrack
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by CheckYoTrack » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:05 am

yw m8
Image

Image

Going After Your Sons-Winners of pre-December 2012 Closed Beta Dalgoth

78206
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by 78206 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:13 am

Who been diddling kids?

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by tooshifty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:50 am

Vervandi wrote:I tried and ironically, the only thing I came across was your wife (I'm assuming) looking for the book on another forum about 3-4 days ago. I thought it would be easy to find something like this by just googling the basic plot, but it is actually very difficult.
as it started i thought it was gonna be a dig. lol.
Image
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2959
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by tooshifty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:56 am

can u remember any character names? What about locations in the book? so far theres bupkiss for people to use in searching imo. At first glance i just assumed its a troll post with some kind of underlying joke mocking a known text.
Image
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

ConspiracyTheorist
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by ConspiracyTheorist » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Sorry, dude. She's gotta come up with something more descriptive like a name, place, author, publisher, anything! I've spent hours obsessing over it, lol, but found nothing even remotely comparable to her descriptions.

I need a hobby...

CheckYoTrack
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by CheckYoTrack » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:28 pm

ConspiracyTheorist wrote:Sorry, dude. She's gotta come up with something more descriptive like a name, place, author, publisher, anything! I've spent hours obsessing over it, lol, but found nothing even remotely comparable to her descriptions.

I need a hobby...
Me too. I looked at like thousands of YA horror book covers on the nets to see anything matching the cover description.
Image

Image

Going After Your Sons-Winners of pre-December 2012 Closed Beta Dalgoth

Magma
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Magma » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Obviously it never existed.
Image

"To join SOTD, you have to be an immature irresponsible racist obsessed maniacal retard, they're all like one another and believe in defecating on futures of our children." - KonradKnox

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by Balice » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Magma wrote:Obviously it never existed.
TROLL
Image

CheckYoTrack
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1801
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Cannot find a book. need help

Post by CheckYoTrack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:45 pm

At this point I think Balice has been setting this up as a troll to send us looking for a non existent book for hours on end.
Image

Image

Going After Your Sons-Winners of pre-December 2012 Closed Beta Dalgoth

Post Reply

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”