Closed beta app

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
fischsemmel
Snobo
Snobo

Closed beta app

Post by fischsemmel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 pm

1: Please describe your Shadowbane gameplay history. How long did you play Shadowbane? What servers did you play on? Did you play fairly continuously, or were there periods of inactivity? What changes(if any) brought you out of periods of inactivity? Were you a part of the original SB beta program?

I played for a total of probably about 12 months. Started right up on Deception within a week or two of release, if I recall correctly. I played for several months initially, but ended up quitting after than when my real-life friends left the game. Had probably 2 more stints playing the game later, once after Throne of Oblivion was released and then once again about two years ago. No specific changes brought me back to the game though, it was just fond memories of the early months of SB trying new builds and exploring all of the different cities of the world and defending and attacking other player's stuff. I was not part of the original beta.

2: What areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there some mechanic or aspect of the game that you know inside out and backwards? This could be certain classes, or even specific builds, races, or types of characters. This could be more general experience in city building, city management and crafting, guild management, bane offense/defense, lots of experience in specific zones or areas, or any other aspect of Shadowbane that you have a great deal of experience/memory for.

I wasn't too hardcore about SB. It was only my second MMO, and I tended to spend more time just leveling up new characters and farming with friends to make some cash to try to get the runes we wanted and less time in organized PvP or city building. I cannot honestly say that I know about any mechanics of the game inside out and backwards, though the amount of farming I spent doing leveling up a myriad of characters with my friends did, I think, make me quite familiar with a number of zones from the Aerynth map, namely the newbie zones and the two zones on the black isle and, to a lesser extent, the zones in the north-central region of the main land mass... tyranth or something, I believe. I took pride in knowing a lot about all of the game's classes, but without being an expert in any specific builds really, and the knowledge I did have was more applicable to PvE than PvP, odd as that is for a game like Shadowbane.

3: What areas of Shadowbane are you least experienced in? What did you spend little/no time on, or have very little experience or memory with?

I don't remember much of anything about the expansions' content. I had little experience with the grand scheme of sieges or city building. My organized, small-group PvP experience is also severely lacking.

4: A bug with the Dark Knight stun has been reported. Supposedly the DK stun is able to stun people while they still have a stun immunity effect active from a previous stun. Please explain the procedure you would use to verify this bug, show steps you would take in testing to confirm or disprove the bug, and demonstrate how you would document your findings for the rest of the team. Remember that testing will be a team effort, and everyone's work must be understandable and repeatable by other testers/designers/developers.

I'd see about lining up others who has access to each of the game's different stuns to see if the DK stun sticking through immunity is happening all the time, or only after certain stuns have been used. I'd try the DK stun with different durations of the prior stun and stun immunity remaining, focusing especially on trying to land the stun right when the previous stun is wearing off or when the stun immunity is wearing off, but on 1-second intervals inbetween too. Depending on whether the stun is sticking despite the immunity being up, I might see about doing this testing with different buffs in place and on different classes/races as well. Reporting findings would just be a simple numbered list describing the steps taken, the different results and their frequency compared to the number of test runs, etc.

5: The development team has passed the crafting system on to the test team for initial verification. Given a forge or magic shop with a vendor placed, explain the steps you would take to verify whether the crafting system is working correctly. What things would you do to try and break the system and find any errors in the vendor/rolling system?

I honestly am not too sure right now. I had relatively little experience with this stuff, and it has been many years. More might come back to me once I was a bit refreshed by being in game, but I can't say for sure. I would likely use google to look for old articles or blogs or forum posts of people bragging that they broke the system in such-and-such a way back in the day to see if that kind of a thing is a problem still/again. I suppose I'd keep thorough documentation of all the effects that get turned out from my efforts compared with similar documentation of results from back in the day to check for glaring discrepancies, also.

6: Please provide your Age, Location, what languages you speak and amount of time able to dedicate to the project.

28 years old. Michigan, USA. English, but I did take 3 years of German in high school and another 2 in college... my speaking and listening is terrible but I can still read and write passably enough to know what's going on and to get a point across. I could dedicate between 10 and 20 hours per week to the project, perhaps more. This would last at least through early summer, or potentially longer depending on how long it takes me to find a job after I get my bar results back.

I'm probably not prime material for beta testing. I really just look at the screenshots on the state of the bane posts and feel like SB is a drug that I used to be addicted to but haven't touched in years. I want to get back into the game and have some fun, drag some of my friends along and run through our old haunts and build characters from the ground up and erect little huts with guard dogs in the middle of nowhere and sneak into random cities to look for some fun. I'd be happy to work on testing the project and working with other team members along the way, but I certainly wouldn't be able to treat it nearly as much like a job or a duty as a hobby.

Thanks for the consideration :)

Kinslayer
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Re: Closed beta app

Post by Kinslayer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:27 am

How much are you leaning to at least 20 hours of time dedicated to the project?
Scorn GL
I offer you our contempt.
The scorn of genius is the most arrogant and the most boundless of all scorn.

fischsemmel
Snobo
Snobo

Re: Closed beta app

Post by fischsemmel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 am

Once March rolls around, it'll be 20+ hours.

On Feb 28 and 29 I've got the Michigan bar exam, so until then I'm nonstop busy studying and taking care of my son while my wife supports my bum ass. After that I'll still be watching my kid, but likely won't find a job for a couple of months.

Return to “Closed Beta Submissions”