Language of the Black

Atone
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Language of the Black

Post by Atone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Here is something that Loeg dug up a few years back. I remember originally seeing it on the Fraternitas Orthanathos boards, but judging by dates, I think it predates that.
Language of the Black
Post by gtuffli on Nov 28, 2004, 4:09pm

The elf Ithriana and the sword Shadowbane were swept away by the Firstborn vampire Ghorghor upon Ithriana's defeat into the whirling darkness of Oblivion. Ithriana's realm was surrounded then not by water, but by the Void itself, and all within that realm were corrupted, twisted, reborn into the will of the Null until that day upon which the realm would be fractured and return to the scattered shards.

Long centuries of isolation mixed with those joining to the ranks of Oblivion who were not elves, either those before the coming of the Thirteen, or those afterwards such as Drangor and Straeglind. The language of the Black has its roots in the elvish of Ithriana's and the Thirteen's time, but since then it has evolved far from those roots, and is one more of the bindings that ties those whose hearts dwell in the Null.
Re: Language of the Black
Post by gtuffli on Nov 28, 2004, 4:45pm

OFFICIAL SHADOWBANE LEXICON

Belgosch (Zealots of Bealgor; Osch = Zealots)
Calid (Serpent)
Dar (High)
Drannok (Soldiers of Drangor; Ok = Soldier)
Elind (Mother; Khele'Elind = Mother of Winter, a.k.a. Freykka)
Ga/Gur (Lord/Lords)
Gallorach (Field)
Ghorgoi (Fiends/Beasts of Ghorghor; Goi = Fiends/Beasts)
Ghorreghul (Necromancy; Ghor = Death, Reghul = Sorcery; although Elvish customarily puts the adjective after the word it modifies, it is evident from context that this formulation may not, in fact, followed with this word; this reversion is also thus assumed for the word "Moraenarth")
Gwerg (Dream)
Hed (Fire, Hedril = Fiery)
Hennan (Sorrows)
Istolliath (Book/Tome)
Khele (Ice)
Mandrae (Chosen)
Moraenarth (The Black Thorns; Narth = Thorn, Mor = Black)
Strigoi (Fiends/Beasts of Straeglind; Goi = Fiends/Beasts)

NAMES OF THE LORE OF SHADOWBANE

The Thirteen
Ghorghor (first of the Thirteen to become a vampire; also known as "The Queen of Blood"; creator of the sign of the three thorns that has come to mean "Death")
Baelgor (second of the Thirteen to become a vampire; gave Ghorghor the keys to the Void; formerly a priest of Saedron; the only one of the Thirteen who did not retreat into sleep or the Void, but instead stayed in the world to plot the others' return)
Morte (first of the Thirteen to reawaken)
Aemarth (tried to open a portal to the Void to allow the Null to consume the world)

Other Servants of the Null
Drangor (thirdborn into the ranks of the vampires arising out of the War of Shadows; originally a human who had resisted the efforts of the Deathless Empire to turn him into a minotaur)
Straeglind (originally an aelfborn woman; founder of one of the four great bloodlines of vampires; considered a rebel and mad)
Ithriana (liche queen of the Isle of Oblivion; stole Shadowbane)
Post by gtuffli on Nov 28, 2004, 5:09pm

Greetings & Farewells
Hysen (Greetings)
Iarneshew (Goodbye; Iarne = "Bye")

People & Positions
Oyaba (Warleader)
Ghor'ga (Lord/Lady of Death)
Ghor'gur (Lords/Ladies of Death)
Orghor'ga (Shadowlord)
Orghor'gur (Shadowlords)
Orghor-gwerg'ga (Shadowlord of Visions)

Locations
Inerpia (Big Ice Island)
Ghorach (Undead Island)
Morach (The Isle of Oblivion)

Other Words
Draeg (Blood)
Goi (Fiends/Beasts)
Gorrok (Killer, Murderer)
Ka (You)
Ki (Your)
Ok (Soldiers)
Orghor (Shadow of Death/Death Shroud)
Osch (Zealots)
Osor (The Void)
Osor'gur (The Lords of the Void; The Null)
Oyon (Soul)
Tira (Night)

Expressions (verb + object + subject)
Osor ki oyon! (Your souls for Oblivion!)
Post by gtuffli on Nov 28, 2004, 8:33pm
Post by fillmore on Nov 28, 2004, 7:22pm

Ghorreghul (Necromancy; Ghor = Death, Reghul = Sorcery; although Elvish customarily puts the adjective after the word it modifies, it is evident from context that this formulation is not, in fact, followed wit this word; this reversion is also thus assumed for the word "Moraenarth")

One could argue that it is followed with this formulation. Death is the noun, sorcerous modifies it, so it is sorcerous death, rather than deathly sorcery.

With Moraenarth one could make the same claim that Black is the noun, and that thorn modifies it, so that it is not a black thorn, but rather thorny blackness.

I view Death and the Black as viable objects to be modified rather than modifiers for other objects, but maybe that's just me
Yes, I thought about that too, and it could well be you're right. However, the firstborn vampire, the "Queen of Blood" is "Ghorghor". This is obviously alliterative duplication, linguistically, but if the word order was not flipped, then that means her name literally means "Sorcery". I think it much more likely that her name was to mean "Death", under the circumstances, and this makes more morphological sense for the Black Thorns as well.

Unless Meridian or Ashen comes out and says one way or another, it could be either, but I'd be willing to bet it was flipped; more to the point, I'd bet Meridian most likely just forgot the word order he was using for elvish. If that's the case, it still works - linguistic drift over how many centuries between the War of Shadows and the current era is not hard to buy.

Atone
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Atone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Morte (first of the Thirteen to reawaken)
Aemarth (tried to open a portal to the Void to allow the Null to consume the world)
I have not heard of these stories/characters. Does anyone know where I could find them?

surbear
Snobo
Snobo

Post by surbear » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am

???

Marksman
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Marksman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Not what I expected lol.

Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Sek » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 pm

You BC guys are really too much into that goth stuff.
TSCCC IC

Atone
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Atone » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:14 am

If I had my way, we'd still be a shade RP guild :D

Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Zergs » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Atone wrote:If I had my way, we'd still be a shade RP guild :D
Man that's been my dream since.. ever! I wanted to call it Shades of Grey. Maybe limit number of guildies to 50...

Vikapolyak
Snobo
Snobo

Language of the Black

Post by Vikapolyak » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Seeing as the Klingon language evolved from grunts to a full-fledged language thanks to die-hard trekkies I'm pretty sure that Quarian can become a "real" language too.

Return to “Lore & RP”