Test Team Application

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
JayG
Snobo
Snobo

Test Team Application

Post by JayG » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:09 pm

1. Which team are you applying to?
Test Team

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
I played extensively during the original launch on Death server. I've been a member of the Mithril Warhammers guild since about 2002. We all played on Death until the ultimate demise of the server. After Death, we spent a good bit of time on Corruption. Between Corruption and now, we all took some time off the game and came back periodically over the years, bouncing around between the various worlds and phases as the game had it's ups and downs. I would definitely describe my SB experience as more 'oldschool' since I didn't play extensively after the expansion packs came out.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
Been thinking about this one and I can't say I have any dominant skill over another. I suppose I'd consider myself to be a well-rounded player. That being said, I have little to no experience with the finer level tree and city management features.

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
As a product manager, my job is to write detailed reports, product specifications, feature requirements, test cases, and manage the team to communicate effectively. My specs are detailed down to the last pixel. Study your objective, define the requirements of the report, and provide every bit of necessary information in order for the intended reader to have everything they need to execute. In the case of writing reports on testing a zone in Shadowbane, it would depend on specifically what I was testing, but in general you're likely looking for overall performance (loading, lag, spawns), correct details (# of camps, # of mobs per camp, correct mobs, mobs not bugged, mob drops are accurate, mob powers are accurate, mob spawn rates, disc droppers are spawning, disc droppers drop discs, etc.) etc. etc. "Test a zone" is a bit unclear - the first thing I'd do is ask for a more detailed and specifics objective. OR, if that were truly the task, I'd break it down into a large number of sub-tasks and go from there. Either way, the "test a zone" report is going to be enormous.

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?
I'm in charge of product development at my company, so I lead the programming and test teams. I have extensive experience communicating between teams, writing test cases, feature/product specs, and bug reports, as well as communicating efficiently to developers.

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
I really appreciate what you guys are doing because I know how hard it is. Our company took over another company's product and have spent the last two years working through foreign code and trying to make sense of it and ultimately release a stable and desirable product. It's god damned difficult. The bottom line is I think my skills could be of use and may be a help to the project. I've been a huge SB fan since original release so it would be fun to help make this project successful.

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?
I will err on the side of caution and say that I could probably help 2-6 hours per week. Sometimes quite a bit more, sometimes none.

Whether you need another guy on the team or not -- just wanted to say you guys are doing a great job. I've been playing in Closed Beta with MWH and we're all having a great time, regardless of the server issues. A project like this is always an uphill battle but hopefully it continues.

Return to “Test Team Submissions”