DPS Bow/Xbow Toon

discus the finer details of classes and disciplines
ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

DPS Bow/Xbow Toon

Post by ScrappyDoo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 am

I'm looking for a good DPS bow/xbow toon for solo play that is a viable toon to play. I know I can just go full blown dex monkey and spike bow/xbow for burst damage but then also die if something actually targets me.

I know WW xbow warriors have decent damage. But since this is more for a solo style toon(and I wanted to keep away from the typical SD aracoix scouts) and will lack heals, dmg chants, regens etc, I was thinking fighter base aelf ranger with zerker. I know a fighter base bow huntress will have a higher burst damage but if the fight drags out longer then 30-45seconds I feel that a ranger will have more sustainable damage output, especially with wolfskin as a % heal and the ranger heals.

I'm basically trying to think more outside the box as a counter for the pesky kiting rogues/mages.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: DPS Bow/Xbow Toon

Post by tooshifty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:06 pm

just make an xbow nukestalker :lol:
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 pm

tooshifty wrote:just make an xbow nukestalker :lol:
Already have one and its my preferred solo toon along with my huntress. But I was looking for more of a meat toon. It keeps getting tossed around between fighter bow ranger, bow or xbow aelf warrior, or dwarf xbow warrior.

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Khal » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm a big fan of human rogue dodge/resist/regen bow ranger. Yumm
Undeadkiller wrote:Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions and shouldn't be told what they can or cannot think and or can or cannot say. It goes against the Human Rights Act.
Rewen wrote:Art thou enraged?

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 am

Khal wrote:I'm a big fan of human rogue dodge/resist/regen bow ranger. Yumm
Yeah I like rogue rangers. I actually prefer them over scouts for solo bow toons(obviously they can't reveal but I just like them more) Huntress or xbow NSs are my overall prefferd solo rogue range toon and/or anti-scout toon in the new Scoutbane that we've been playing. I was more or less looking for more base weapon DPS toon that is self sufficent. I rolled up a fighter aelfborn bow ranger and at lvl 31 my max dmg on my bow is 475 and haven't even GMed my dmg buff just yet(only 13 trains). I figure once I get the str/dex buff GMed, the dmg buff GMed, and a dex rune applied I will be around the 600s.

I also have a dwarf xbow warrior that is R4 that does only around 300 max dmg atm. No str rune applied just yet but about 4200hp with no con runes just yet either. Obviously more survivability with HA and the hitpoint pool but so far much lower DPS because I hit for less and the xbow weapon speed is slower then a bow.

Next, after I finish off the two above toons, I guess I will test the difference between bow and xbow aelfborn/human warriors(leaning more towards aelf). I do remember running a vamp xbow warrior once and I have seen a vamp bow warrior in this CB so far. So not sure how a vamp warrior would compare to an aelf warrior. I guess the fort would be nice to have and the racial LA for less dex penalty would be good. But the aelfborn HA or MA would definately give more resist.

Esentially I am looking for an overall toon(outside the typical rogue range toon or scout) that I can play on the side of a spec as additional DPS that can be utilized as a disrupter/control toon that has high weapon DPS and its own utlity that isn't grp dependant for dmg chants etc. If I get focused then that will benefit my side since they will be chasing me around while my spec tees off on a target, if I get hit run off heal up etc. But at the sametime have it be a toon that doesn't get shelved when not in gvg situations and can run around in today's kiting hit and run scoutbane. Now I figure a ranger has all that utility built in, and a warrior can go commy(or knight for a poor man's dmg buff and non-vamp) and go glad for a bleed removal(no real healing but as a warrior has more hp to work with).

Soviet
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Soviet » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Dance around wererat fighter rangers, won't go higher than that.

Kidsmeal
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Kidsmeal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 pm

I enjoy rat bow rangers.

Outside of an xbow nuke stalker of course.

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Soviet wrote:Dance around wererat fighter rangers, won't go higher than that.
I don't know why i never thought about a wererat fighter ranger. I knew that fighter base could use wererat but I always associated them with rogues.

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Balice » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Bow fighter ranger taps hard

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Balice wrote:Bow fighter ranger taps hard

Not much hp compared to the dwarf xbow but I have found with a mino polearm grp around pierce exposing people you can do massive dmg with an aelf bow fighter ranger with zerker rage up. Level 41 on my aelf ranger atm, and with a few tests of base raw dmg and then a mino polearm pierce exposing a priest I was tapping for 500s on average with a few spiked dmg ones in the 700s.

Shade wererat version atm is only lvl 30 so we'll have to see what wererat form adds to the flavor. Both have fairly low con though which is a little bothersome for me since i typically like going high con(but the objective is viable and high DPS). I think the aelfborn will end up with 120con, 155dex and 60int. The shade will be looking at around 105 con with 165dex, 60int. Aelfborn ranger has zerker, archer, blademaster, and for the 4th i am thinking of glad(maybe werewolf but not sure), shade has archer blademaster and wererat, and for 4th rune probably glad.

I have the dwarf xbow that I am liking as well but the attack speed seems so much slower despite only actually being like 4 or 5pts slower. One thing is for sure though the dwarf xbow warrior eats stam even without spamming powers. However much more resists, and hp so more viable within a grp as a spec imo. The rangers would be a nasty outside grp that are leftovers or late comers to the party and are forced together in a small grp that won't have enough to complete the grp with support because they will be thier own support with dmg buff, and heal/regens.

TL;DR

Fighter rangers are nasty ranged DPS for not being a proccer or caster. Short on HP but makes up for it in utility and with glad would have 2 heals and 2 remove bleeds. Extra run buff to help with kiting and % heal with wolfskin. Dwarf xbow warrior decent dps at range, more dependant on support toons to compliment its dps but loads more hp and resists in HA.

Pollarixie
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Pollarixie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Aelf Xbow was always my favorite, but mine was primarily dex, medium con. lol.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Does the dmg chant from were rat work if not in form? I saw a ranger running it the other day while in regular form and not in wereform...is it a bug or is that how it works?

If you can use it while out of form then wererat bow scout just gor more intersting.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:26 pm

if u make the xbow warrior i suggest going wolf form, it will give u a fck load of def and you can sit pretty at 5-6khp and 2k+ def. lets not forget you can stance dance peoples faces off. The dps is fantastic. your armor choice depends on how much def you inevitably get. i always choose more def and dmg over resists.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm

ranger will most likely not survive a wizard
You can run, but you'll die tired.

Lukoi
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Lukoi » Sat May 23, 2015 6:28 pm

I've been gone for years. Can someone give some actual number crunched examples of these toons? I'm an old Ranger fan and building one now (but it's likely already a poor version of what's optimal). Need some help getting back into the swing of things.

Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Sek » Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Lukoi wrote:I've been gone for years. Can someone give some actual number crunched examples of these toons? I'm an old Ranger fan and building one now (but it's likely already a poor version of what's optimal). Need some help getting back into the swing of things.
Right now, melee rangers are better than bow rangers for most things.
TSCCC IC

Lukoi
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Lukoi » Sat May 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Fair enough. I will run melees afterwards (nothing like an MMO to get you into leveling entirely too many alts).

Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Sek » Sat May 23, 2015 11:40 pm

Lukoi wrote:Fair enough. I will run melees afterwards (nothing like an MMO to get you into leveling entirely too many alts).
Lol. True.

If you really want a bow ranger, go for either Shade or Human Wererat version. For Shade both fighter and rogue version is good (I`d preffer a rogue).
TSCCC IC

Return to “In-Depth Class Discussion”