How to counter thief/scout/highdef?

discus the finer details of classes and disciplines
yakri
Snobo
Snobo

How to counter thief/scout/highdef?

Post by yakri » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Having huge issues with hoards of thieves and the occasional scout or other high build character crashing my PL party. Mainly because none of my characters can hit the side of a barn wall without a few hundred thousand more gold in trains and gear.

What's a good build to kill thieves/scouts/other high defense characters with minimal training and gear? Ideally I need to actually be able to root the Skah! down and murder them since just driving them off is kind of useless when they can one shot the lowbies. Having issues with pesky bird thieves murdering my alts. Often they can actually be beaten in a stand up fight but it's not like that'll ever happen unless they're stunned the entire time.

Do some of the build suggestions for anti-scout over in the scout forum work as well against thieves?

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Re: How to counter thief/scout/highdef?

Post by Cryfowl » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:39 pm

yakri wrote:Having huge issues with hoards of thieves and the occasional scout or other high build character crashing my PL party. Mainly because none of my characters can hit the side of a barn wall without a few hundred thousand more gold in trains and gear.

What's a good build to kill thieves/scouts/other high defense characters with minimal training and gear? Ideally I need to actually be able to root the Skah! down and murder them since just driving them off is kind of useless when they can one shot the lowbies. Having issues with pesky bird thieves murdering my alts. Often they can actually be beaten in a stand up fight but it's not like that'll ever happen unless they're stunned the entire time.

Do some of the build suggestions for anti-scout over in the scout forum work as well against thieves?
High def is only powerful right now because the server is still only a week old. Def is cheap and easy to get/roll. Give it one month and this will be caster bane.

My Pl neph lock isn't even R7 and I have no problems with a solo thief/scout unless they ground me into mobs. you have infinite flight, two dex debuffs, root, 9 second stun and a great self heal. Fury, wizzy, templar and sent can kill them as well if built/play right. I'm guessing that you are using a druid ? might be time to expand your horizons a little.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

yakri
Snobo
Snobo

Post by yakri » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:13 am

Cryfowl wrote:
yakri wrote:Having huge issues with hoards of thieves and the occasional scout or other high build character crashing my PL party. Mainly because none of my characters can hit the side of a barn wall without a few hundred thousand more gold in trains and gear.

High def is only powerful right now because the server is still only a week old. Def is cheap and easy to get/roll. Give it one month and this will be caster bane.

My Pl neph lock isn't even R7 and I have no problems with a solo thief/scout unless they ground me into mobs. you have infinite flight, two dex debuffs, root, 9 second stun and a great self heal. Fury, wizzy, templar and sent can kill them as well if built/play right. I'm guessing that you are using a druid ? might be time to expand your horizons a little.
Yeah, and most of my builds will at least have less of an issue with it when geared/fully trained, but it's a pain to have to just give up at leveling because a thief walked by.

Using a druid atm (not even a fairly good build, gonna replace it soon), also a PL neph lock.

I have a NS Xbow nuker, and a mage assassin around too. My big problem is that I won't have any of them in decent gear for a few days or a week. None of them have their disc or stat runes yet either, and the highest are low R5.

Those last two should be the most effective against a thief, but I just don't have enough damage yet. IIRC my mage assassin build did like 600 damage per shadow bolt last time I played it and I'm only up to about 200 so far. Pretty big difference.

All that aside, the last time I played this game was also in like 2009 so I also don't have a clue as to what the frack I'm doing.

Even so I could probably kill any dagger thief that was dumb enough to stand around and take it, but usually my lowbies get assassinated first, then they just keep retrying till they manage to burst out my assassin faster than I can kill them. Without shroudborne and full gear he's waaaaay less effective. Since I can't chase them down or burst them to death inside of my stun timer there's almost no way for me to actually kill one atm. I'm definitely just as open to advice on how to use what I've got better than I am too.

My current thought is to make a bird bow scout and pump ATR as hard as possible, then use them to track and reveal scouts/thieves/etc and then double team them with the bird + my mage assassin, usually I can manage two characters at once alright.

Edit: Also considering adding a templar to my team for Sway the Balance, if nothing else, just dropping that and then swapping characters might mage a huge difference for some of my higher levels that have issues hitting high def toons.

Empire
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Empire » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 am

PL with a fury, especially a irekei one with blood prophet, it kills faster than a druid anyway, and you have a blind, stun, root, snare, two dots (one with a stam drain, and one with a atr cut and a snare). Most of the key powers are obtains at quite low level. Once you land the GM blind anything else you should have will hit, and two dots in offensive stance with any DNF you have trained will really spoil his day. If you get jumped by a caster you have a GM defensive stance which makes their attacks tickle while you debuff and dot, then switch to offensive to put the hurt on.

The alternative is to PL with a deflar, sway off his buffs, blind if you have DK, sword dots, other dots, laugh...

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Cryfowl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:53 am

Empire wrote:PL with a fury, especially a irekei one with blood prophet, it kills faster than a druid anyway, and you have a blind, stun, root, snare, two dots (one with a stam drain, and one with a atr cut and a snare). Most of the key powers are obtains at quite low level. Once you land the GM blind anything else you should have will hit, and two dots in offensive stance with any DNF you have trained will really spoil his day. If you get jumped by a caster you have a GM defensive stance which makes their attacks tickle while you debuff and dot, then switch to offensive to put the hurt on.

The alternative is to PL with a deflar, sway off his buffs, blind if you have DK, sword dots, other dots, laugh...
Fury is good advice. The only reason i don't make one at server up is because it takes a little while for the trainers to get in and they only really shine once fully leveled but now that shouldn't be a problem. replace the druid with a fury or lock and the assy with a bow scout and i think you are good to go. That and use a little strategy when choosing your farming spots. Avoid any of the zones with droppers/very desirable discs. Spend 10 minutes actually running somewhere obscure instead of going where it's most convenient. I don't normally have any problems reaching high R5 on this map.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 am

the above things work well. I like templars for the strip and dots etc and in the past have coupled them with scouts. You could also make some class with bm and full melee dps focus and use feint, for your 2nd toon beside your druid.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Return to “In-Depth Class Discussion”