Application for Development Position

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
wippletitz
Snobo
Snobo

Application for Development Position

Post by wippletitz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:07 am

Hello,
I already PM'd this to the development team so disregard if you've already seen this.

I think with my background in security & reverse engineering I hope I could help out, while not a direct Java developer (I'm a researcher who creates Proof of Concepts in Java for our developers) I do have plenty of experience with it.

1. Which team are you applying to?
Development

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
Played for a few years on and off not so much near the end. Can't remember the servers I played on.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
As a player? I'm pretty run of the mill.

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
Well, testing and design are extremely different, for format I would hope you have some sort of bug/feature tracking software such as jira/bugzilla/github/trac where stories or tickets would be created and tracked.

For designing:
- What is the environment to be like (desert, swamp etc).
- What will the dimensions be.
- What tier and type of mobs.
- Which areas will players be allowed to create cities.

Testing:
- Totally depends on the issue, bug, new feature.

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?
Yes, but mainly in python, a bit of java as part of my day job as a researcher but it's not my language of choice, little c, little c++
You can view some of my repo's at: https://github.com/wirepair/ (Mostly C/C++ and heavily geared toward reverse engineering)

6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
If anything my security and reverse engineering background. I know you guys use MySQL and while most of my knowledge comes from attacking it I've obviously learned a bit about its internals during my research. As for RE'ing, probably best to look at my work on PunkBuster (anti-cheating system) where i pretty much completely RE'd it: https://github.com/wirepair/PunkBusterWiki/wiki

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?
Anywhere from 5-15 hours a week.

While not part of your application, here's a run down from your suggested advanced knowledge:
Sockets - Lots of work here, primarily with asynchronous sockets in C# and python, but shouldn't take me long to learn Java's java.nio package (which I presume you guys use?)
Synchronization - locking/atomic - A bit but by no means an expert.
3D math / vectors - A little
Abstraction - Yes
Encryption - Yes
Compression - Some
MySQL table creation/manipulation - Yes
MySQL stored procedures - Yes
Thread pooling - Not a lot
Caching - Not a lot
Quad Trees - No
Height Maps - Not a lot
Collision Detection - No but I understand the basic concepts.
Optimization - Depends on context
Unit testing - Yes
Assembly Language - Yes
Breaking down binary files - Uhm, breaking down as in reverse engineering? Yes

Return to “Development Team Submissions”