TheDestroyer (gerbilOFdoom)

Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
TheDestroyer
Snobo
Snobo

TheDestroyer (gerbilOFdoom)

Post by TheDestroyer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:02 am

1. Which team are you applying to? Development

2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on? Started on Mourning halfway through the server's life, kept playing ever since.

3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player. I am most experienced in theorybane - my main was a spec scout for Mourning. From there I started experimenting with various builds but my favorite is the elf ranger bw defgod even though the build is a tad weak compared to some others.

4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information? Analysis of valuable areas, area distances, loot desirability, location relative to runegate/cities/resources and other information detailing the likelyhood of PvP in the area and ways to improve it.

5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have? I have extensive skill in web server management - I've been coding on/running my own little web box since I was 10. In the past few years I've experimented with a linux box and I was the first person at my community college to be Security+ certified - ever. I studied Java programming solving various example problems but I've never really been able to commit due to lack of motivation - working alone gets lonely. I've spent time working on 0 A.D. with minor contributions to the user experience module and management of the website upgrade including all necessary code changes. My primary marketable skill is computer repair/resident tech-wizard.

6. What sets you apart from another applicant? I don't know the qualifications of other applicants, so I couldn't give you a truly accurate answer. If I had to guess, I would say it is my ability to focus on one particular problem in exclusion of all else and solve it in the best way possible.

7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project? Every night when I get home from work (around 1-3AM) I game and such until about 7 or 8 am. I'll dedicate a chunk of that time every night so I don't get burnt out and so I put out consistent work.

The secondary reason for my application is that I have an idea that would make the quality of life a lot easier for the community - an idea that I can implement. Even now, SDR is a relative lagfest because of the afk'ers/WTB/Sers. I'd like to move that particular element to the web.

The primary reason for my application is that I have learned volumes from the time that I first thought to apply when shadowbane first went down. Unless I miss my guess, the code is mature enough that I could spent my time hunting down bugs and extending elements of the code and in doing so improve my skill level beyond the basics of programming. I know the syntax and several advanced concepts, such as creating a RESTful API... yes I've been doing some web development :P

Daymar
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: TheDestroyer (gerbilOFdoom)

Post by Daymar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi TheDestroyer. We've recently had a lot of applicants and have added a bunch of them. We'll have to put your application on hold for now but I'll keep you in mind for later.
The secondary reason for my application is that I have an idea that would make the quality of life a lot easier for the community - an idea that I can implement. Even now, SDR is a relative lagfest because of the afk'ers/WTB/Sers. I'd like to move that particular element to the web.
What do you mean by the bolded part?

TheDestroyer
Snobo
Snobo

Re: TheDestroyer (gerbilOFdoom)

Post by TheDestroyer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:11 pm

My idea is to create a marketplace in the forum for trading goods. The forum already appears to have a link to the game accounts so expanding that link to include access to the vault shouldn't be a problem. From there a WTB/WTS/WTT directory with some well-designed filters. Could have several setups for selling such as public-offers (comment style, I'll give you x for that lumber) or bids. Buying could have a reverse-bid setup where sellers bid the lowest they are willing to go. Trades would probably be offer-based with a trade-it-now sort of option.

So long as I have a hook into player vaults in the database I can create an API then integrate it into the forum. If the API is made public then the community could start working on fan sites for trading with more potential functionality.

Plus this way I could do some tradebane while at work :D

Return to “Development Team Submissions”