1. Which team are you applying to?
2. Please describe your Shadowbane game play history. How long did you play Shadowbane? Which servers did you play on?
I started in 2003 and played on Fear, Death, Vengeance, Test, Mourning, Wrath, and Vindication
Years played was probably about 2003-2005, hiatus, 2006, and some sporadic activity between 2006 and 2009
3. Which areas of Shadowbane are you most experienced in? Is there a mechanic of the game that you are more knowledgeable in than others? Please explain your most valuable asset you believe you have as a Shadowbane player.
I'm very skilled at class/discipline/combat mechanics. City building, the resource system, and siege system are probably my weakest points
4. You are going to either test/design a zone. Which aspects would you include in your report and how would you report the information?
I'd make a note of buildings, mobiles, how they're setup, how many there are, and I'd post the information in the appropriate forum using the bug report guidelines
5. Do you have any skills in IT or programming, and how much experience do you have?
I make extensive use of SQL and am very experienced with querying and making/manipulating tables - I understand and use indices, keys, etc but I'm definitely a data user/owner and not a DBA or anything.
I've never used MySQL specifically but have worked a lot with TSQL, PL/SQL, and Teradata
6. What sets you apart from another applicant?
I was originally intending to just ask for an export of some tables or select privs but I was told this may be something worth posting here.
I have a very specific focus and interest in putting together some data visualization stuff using SBE logs and tables - I tend to rely on old tools that I already know and this seems like a fun project to play around with new things that I've been meaning to learn
I've been scraping info from PvP chat with the hope of producing some basic stuff but to do it well I'd like to have access to server logs and guild->nation relationship tables (I tried using /who macros and Google's tesseract OCR engine but that was pretty disappointing).
As a start, what I'd really like to put together is a network graph showing kill/deaths relationships between nations. Another thing I think might turn out well is some visualizations based on class (k/d by class, class distribution, etc)
This isn't at all publication quality but I thought it worked as a proof of concept - this is kills x deaths by guild from one of my logs. The bubble size in this is determined by kill/deaths but I'd like to have it be a function of nation size.
7. How much time will you be able to dedicate to the project?
A few hours a week on average - more during the winter and less during nicer parts of the year
Forum for posting recruitment applications. Only the authors and team members can see submissions.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
+1 from me. There's been talk of having this type of information available on the website as a fun/interesting thing for our users and this could be a cool interim step. I don't know if there necessarily needs to be a position created for it but it wouldn't use up developer resources if limited access or snapshots could be made available