Bow nuke/proc bard - Fun build

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Bow nuke/proc bard - Fun build

Post by Telemakus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

This is a build I put together before my last hiatus from the game. I was incredibly fond of it. It is not the most efficient or effective (a bow nuke/proc bard likely never will be), but it was the most fun for me to play of any other stealther (Edit: it was the most fun of any toon I've played in SB). Unfortunately I no longer have a screen shot of its completed stats, but I have simulated it on arkanis calc to be as close to the original as possible.

Creation runes:
Human
Rogue
Brilliant Mind
Lucky

Ingame Runes:
Bard
35 int
15 dex

Runecaster
Bounty Hunter
Archer
Black Mask

Final stats:
115 dex
95 con
145 int
31 spirit

--
Trains:

Bardsong - 90
Light Armor - 90
Dodge - 70
Bow - 90
Archery - 45

Ritardando GM
Dread Dissonance GM
Countersong GM
Mighty Countersong GM
ashton Kai's Dance (bard root) 1 train
Pallando's Puns 1 train
Ragnor's Rending 30 trains

Nyth Rune - JM

Equipment:

Peerless of Oblivion Warbow
Vorgrim Chest
Vorgrim Hood
Vorgrim Gloves
Arms/Legs/Boots players choice bardic gear or vorg.
12 int 12 con ring
12 int 12 con ring (option 35 poison prefix and con or int for suffix)
12 int 6 all neck

This set up should net the player the approximate stats of:

3k HP
800 mana
650 stam

59-235 dmg bow
165-543 Dread Dissonance

You should get about 1850 atr on bow in precise and around 1950 on nuke. About 1900 def in defensive stance, 1550ish in precise.

I lived in precise stance on this char since the server was heavily populated with stealthers. Mana is tight so it required some careful management.

Might countersong is a mana hog, so I would save its use for when I knew I could wipe off an ATR debuff.
Countersong is also a mana hog, so I used it only when absolutely necessary to bring a target's defense down, or scare a target away.

The fun with this character came in bursts. Mask casting a DD with a weapon style and getting a lucky proc could net 200(bow) + 450(nuke) + 600(proc) dmg. Heals pop for a pretty solid amount. Run a VoP bot with it for extra fun.

This character was also an escape artist. You can get away from almost anyone.

It was rewarding to play, but never the most ideal toon. It also requires great gear, without those vorg pieces it just isn't solid. Trains are somewhat malleable, you can drop a few points out of ritardando (bring it to 35 or even 30) and some of the skills to work in some of the other toys available to the class and rune combination.

Edit: I used a proc bot, generally a sader. If that wasn't an option, you can squeeze the trains out for undead hunter and drop blackmask. Sucks to not have a teleport though :'(
Last edited by Telemakus on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can run, but you'll die tired.

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Re: Bow nuke/proc bard - Fun build

Post by Khal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 am

Very neat, I like it. I was just thinking about making something like this, but int/con with ua.
Undeadkiller wrote:Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions and shouldn't be told what they can or cannot think and or can or cannot say. It goes against the Human Rights Act.
Rewen wrote:Art thou enraged?

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:07 am

Khal wrote:Very neat, I like it. I was just thinking about making something like this, but int/con with ua.
You'd have an absolute blast on that character I'm sure. The con returns on bard are great. Would you try to go high defense, or just pump up dodge?

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Khal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 am

Was thinking:
Human Con/HR rune
WP
TaN
Brilliant Mind
Traveling Performer
40con
40int

157Con
150int

100% resist bard LA
12con/12int hr rings
12con/6all Ammy
PoObliv KoPs

I keep hearig about resist/proc scouts an rangers, I figured why not make something that can actually make use of int, besides a heal and proc? Could utilize DD for a nice bump to dps, on top of the, nice health, regen, dodge, heals, and resists? Sounds yummy in my head.

Oh, but no glad makes me cry :(
Undeadkiller wrote:Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions and shouldn't be told what they can or cannot think and or can or cannot say. It goes against the Human Rights Act.

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:25 am

Khal wrote:Was thinking:
Human Con/HR rune
WP
TaN
Brilliant Mind
Traveling Performer
40con
40int

157Con
150int

100% resist bard LA
12con/12int hr rings
12con/6all Ammy
PoObliv KoPs

I keep hearig about resist/proc scouts an rangers, I figured why not make something that can actually make use of int, besides a heal and proc? Could utilize DD for a nice bump to dps, on top of the, nice health, regen, dodge, heals, and resists? Sounds yummy in my head.

Oh, but no glad makes me cry :(
I imagine you'll sit at somewhere around 4k hp.

Consider MoO over PoO (you're fighting in O stance mostly, you'll hit the speed cap)

If you go human you can also consider taking blademaster for an extra physical dmg expose.

Stuns will be your biggest enemy. Mages shouldn't be a problem though. Track them while you're in stealth, find where they are approximately. Hit pernicious puns followed by sneak. Now they are DoTed and open for a backstab followed by a stun, then a powerblock, then a stun.

Also, your nuke will get in the way of your weapon power stuns.

cashmoneyflow
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by cashmoneyflow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 am

Holy shit telemakus is alive?
"Heyzeuss"I love playing under CN tags, no drama or at least none that I can understand. Makes playing the game much more enjoyable.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 am

I've made a few bards along a similar idea. I had an UA human and an aracoix version. The difference was that i didnt take dex past min. I also ran with about 160 base con. More like how you posted your 2nd build as. They are definitely fun toons.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:22 am

cashmoneyflow wrote:Holy Skah! telemakus is alive?
Yep, but barely. Long story short I've had almost no time and getting back into shadowbane right now is actually a terrible idea for me.... but I logged into magicbane the other day and got bit by the bug. I don't have time for much atm that isn't just messing around here and there.

I hear you're playing with CR these days so I'm guessing CR still has a solid presence in CB. Glad to hear it!

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:25 am

tooshifty wrote:I've made a few bards along a similar idea. I had an UA human and an aracoix version. The difference was that i didnt take dex past min. I also ran with about 160 base con. More like how you posted your 2nd build as. They are definitely fun toons.
I so want to make an aracoix version of my human def build work, but it seems like it just won't come out with all the same tools. I'd have to drop mighty countersong or countersong at the least. Also mana is tight on the human, it's even tighter on the coix. I can't see myself having the same amount of fun.

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 am

Go tdaggers.. it's a lot more fun!
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 am

Moco wrote:Go tdaggers.. it's a lot more fun!
More procs, more atr, healing resist buff, expose to piercing

less range, no def cut, no atr cut

You are probably right Moco, Tdaggs are a better option, especially for aracoix imo. That being said, the bow was a friggin blast.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm

bow is best in gvg situations, but thats a given.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Khal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Telemakus wrote:
Consider MoO over PoO (you're fighting in O stance mostly, you'll hit the speed cap)

If you go human you can also consider taking blademaster for an extra physical dmg expose.

Stuns will be your biggest enemy. Mages shouldn't be a problem though. Track them while you're in stealth, find where they are approximately. Hit pernicious puns followed by sneak. Now they are DoTed and open for a backstab followed by a stun, then a powerblock, then a stun.

I was kinda counting on that, with PoO I should be close to the speed cap in precise stance, so my low ua/uam/bardsong shouldn't be a big penalty.

N yeah, I was thinking the stun would be an issue; the only thing I could think of was to use not use the wp stuns, and to just use DD every 9 seconds, and drop a PB 2.9 seconds after that. Yes, it'll cut into my lockdown capabilities a bit, but I junk the added dps would be worth it.

Thoughts?

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 pm

tooshifty wrote:bow is best in gvg situations, but thats a given.
I wouldn't recommend this build for most GvG situations, it doesn't offer much there unless you untrained sneak/hide and maybe rune caster, then took song of spring, molto retardando and gmed ragnors. Then it would be a semi support bard but still not ideal.

The toon is built for open cities, raiding cities, rolling leveling groups, and just all around open world solo/duo fun.

Despite viability, I just personally wouldn't enjoy throwing dagger as much as bow..

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Khal wrote:
Telemakus wrote:

I was kinda counting on that, with PoO I should be close to the speed cap in precise stance, so my low ua/uam/bardsong shouldn't be a big penalty.

N yeah, I was thinking the stun would be an issue; the only thing I could think of was to use not use the wp stuns, and to just use DD every 9 seconds, and drop a PB 2.9 seconds after that. Yes, it'll cut into my lockdown capabilities a bit, but I junk the added dps would be worth it.

Thoughts?

I know somewhere you can find the info about where MoO puts you as far as speed cap goes even in precise. I don't think you'll notice a speed dif between the peerless and Morlochs on the KoPs though.

I think the nuke stun problem is just something you'll have to consider situationally. If you don't go sub dancer then I believe you have 1 stun and 1 pb, so start with the weapon power stun, wait about 2 seconds and load up the powerblock, about 2 seconds after power block lands start casting the nuke and if I'm right that nuke's stun should hit just after their immunity drops. You'll have I think 11 seconds of solid lockdown on your target

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Khal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Well I hope that's not the case (not seeing a difference etween peerless ad morlochs), if that's the case d be dissappointed.

N I'm I thought about sundancer, mostly because I <3 Irekie LA with blue hands, but I figured the extra hr/con/trains gave the advantage to the human build. Now if I still had my FC Irekie LA, it's be a different story :P

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:38 pm

peerless breaks speed cap, waste of a prefix

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Khal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Deathmarch wrote:peerless breaks speed cap, waste of a prefix

In precise stance? N by how much? I was ballparking, but I figure in precise it'd be just under speed cap, but with morlochs would be 1-3away, and with no dex or ragnors, and level 25 expose, melee damage will be lacking anyways.

wasrack
Snobo
Snobo

Post by wasrack » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:11 pm

In the vein of this thread, can anyone give me some feedback on this UA Bird Bard? This will basically be my first char on the server. Open world solo / duo, hopefully capable to snag some discs and such.

Creation runes:
Aracoix
Rogue
Brilliant Mind
Traveling Performer

Ingame Runes:
Bard
40 int
35 Con

Runecaster
Bounty Hunter
Black Mask

Final stats:
45 str
55 dex
140 con
135 int
55 spirit

--
Trains:

Bardsong - 90 (131)
Dodge - 90 (136)
UA - 59 (100)
UA Mastery - 19 (60)

Ritardando GM
Dread Dissonance GM
Countersong GM
ashton Kai's Dance 40 trains
Pallando's Puns 1 train

Hide/Sneak 58

Nyth Rune - JM

Leaves 90 trains.... I havent decided yet what do. Mighty Countersong, Dmg chant, Spike UA, pick up 100% LA

I am thinking of running cloth but I am going to have to see how things go. I may drop bardsong, dread, ashton's some to get more of the other skillz.

Amaz
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Location: second star to the right, and straight on till morning

Post by Amaz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 am

Runehunting with no def will be a pain in the ass, even r4 mobs hurt. I would consider the 90 trains in LA and +8 LA, your DEF wont be that exciting, but it will stop 6-8 r4 mobs eating you alive while you try and kill the dropper. Not sure I would GM the nuke, it wont be that exciting damage, and more importantly it has a stun component which will screw up any attempts to lock down your opponent using the Stuns from UA.

With only one proc, since you haven't taken Undead Hunter, I think you will find it a bit weak sauce in the DPS department to be honest. Consider pulling the DD down to 5 trains, take Undead Hunter and train the proc, but the other 15 trains with the other 90 into LA possibly, depending if you want to be defensive.
find / -name \*yourbase\* -exec chown us:us {} \;

Mantis
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Mantis » Mon May 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Telemakus wrote:
Khal wrote:Very neat, I like it. I was just thinking about making something like this, but int/con with ua.
The con returns on bard are great.
This being the case, and bow powers being only level 10, why did you decide to go high def on this toon?

Harvestr
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Harvestr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Howdy all.

I played a bow bard back in the day but didn't know what I was doing. I still loved the toon, and remember hitting decent damage with my bow. Could you guys help a noob understand what are the best build choices and why? I've read a lot of replies here but in the end I'm just curious what the best choices are. I love to stealth and scout, but playing a scout is only fun for those 2 reasons. I want a stealther that offers more, and love playing support. So here I am thinking making Mybard 2.0. I did human for the hella extra trains, but I'm open to other races.

Most of all, I'm curious about the talk of INT vs DEX. I know bard abilities use mana, so like someone said, leave dex at min? I'm just really bad as knowing the right builds as I've never been THAT good at 1v1 or small scale pvp.

Return to “Rogue”