Best Fights?

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Best Fights?

Post by Vandarr » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:59 am

What's the fight you enjoyed the most that you wish you'd of recorded - but didn't?

Sig by Dubanka - winning Vandarr entry for team sig contest, October 2013.

Hunt
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Re: Best Fights?

Post by Hunt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:35 am

Vandarr wrote:What's the fight you enjoyed the most that you wish you'd of recorded - but didn't?
this one in skool xo

coolstream
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by coolstream » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:41 pm

scouts never have interesting fights... they just stand and shoot arrows until one runs off and then dies to bleed...
"If I don't know what I'm doing, my enemy certainly can't anticipate my future actions!"

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Cryfowl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:24 pm

There is only one fight I wish i had recorded and it was against a bird dagger thief while I was on a bird bow scout out in AB.

I won round 1. Stammed out and lost round 2 went back for round three and kited him all the way to the coast then flew out over the water. 8-) Unfortunately for him he followed me which was his fatal mistake. Never enter into combat over water if you lack grounding shot and your opponent has it ! :o
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

Rotard
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Rotard » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Cryfowl wrote:There is only one fight I wish i had recorded and it was against a bird dagger thief while I was on a bird bow scout out in AB.

I won round 1. Stammed out and lost round 2 went back for round three and kited him all the way to the coast then flew out over the water. 8-) Unfortunately for him he followed me which was his fatal mistake. Never enter into combat over water if you lack grounding shot and your opponent has it ! :o
HAHA watery death!

Lakemen
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Lakemen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 am

On Malog, a SotD elf scout kited my Sapphire around for days with his Horwathi at my Phaedra's Prize Vorgrim spawns. Keep in mind that the area was a bunch of small islands in a lagoon, which made for some really awkward chasing. After what seems like forever, I finally got some pressure on him and had him badly hurt. I began to blow stamina in earnest to finish him off, but he escaped my range in the water and I was too fatigued/hurt to follow any longer. I thought he got away, but thankfully, he died a little while later. I don't remember if it was the bleed or water. Helped assuage my ego a little bit; after all, I just nearly got my ass handed to me by an ELF bowscout. Wish I remembered his name, very nice guy.

The same can't be said of all his guild-mates. In another incident, 3 SotD scouts came to Phaedra's Prize about 15 minutes before the Vorgrim hood dropper was due. Once again, I don't remember any names, but one of the characters was the SotD capitol/nation leader. I asked if any of them wanted to 1v1, but all refused. I would have gladly conceded the spawn if any of them had the courtesy to partake in some friendly competition, but still they refused. At this point I was mad, just KNOWING that if the situation was reversed these people would be the same ones complaining about no-skill numbers-dependent opponents. So I engaged them repeatedly and kited out until only 1 was left chasing, and fought the 1 until he ran back to his group.

I kept my eye on the spawn timer with the intent to ninja the corpse. Timing was very critical here; a few seconds too early and they'd just drive me away before starting on the mob, a few seconds too late and they'd finish it before I got close. As it turns out, I got there just a tad too early; the mob was at over half health. I quickly powered a few shoots at the mob, clicked active dodge as the scouts turned on me, and ran up next to the mob, which was still a good 4 or 5 hits from death. I stood there shooting slowly at the mob as they unloaded on me, stopping combat when the mob was down to a couple of bleed ticks. I tabbed to my other client, cast evac, and prepared to loot. Everyone bent down. The hood was on the corpse! (10% drop chance) I then proceeded to spam Nyth rune until the tunnel came. Checked my inventory, and there it was: Victory. And it was that much sweeter because I knew they had seen it.

Purg
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Purg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 am

Wow, Lakemen. I don't know why that name sounds so familiar, but I'm pretty sure we played together way back when. Probably on War. This forum is a constant blast from the past for me.
Purgatory - Purg - Purge - Purges - etc.
- Kills people.
Purity Council, Fallen Angels, Dark Carnival, Order of the Pink Pansies, Weapons of Mass Destruction, China Town, Probably a few others I forget...

Lakemen
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Lakemen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:12 am

A story from War Server:

I made my first scout about a month into my Shadowbane journey. Not knowing any better at the time, I followed the famous Crowsnest template from beta: Irekei, 190 Dex / 85 Con. The problem was that this recipe called for a Godly Dex, but every time one dropped, it would go into the hands of some scrub or another. At one point I remember thinking that I was surely due, but when the next Godly Dex dropped, it went to an especially bad player named Betty? (or something? from Purity Council, you might remember her). Boy was I peeved. And being the weird person that I am, I didn't want to waste a lesser rune by applying one, only to replace it with a Godly later. So for weeks upon weeks, I ran around with 150 Dex / 85 Con and 45 unused stat points.

One day I was in Khar when BigMac, probably the best scout player in The Fallen Angels, started shouting that he'd give 5 million gold to any scout that could beat him (TFA and GoDsWrathClan were duping, so they had boatloads of cash). Godly Dex was worth about 10 million at the time, so I eagerly took him up on his challenge. We fought, and somehow I narrowly edged him out. He says he was laggy (and I believe him, because although I think I was good, noone is good enough to overcome having 45 unused stat points vs a legitimate opponent in the low stat era before conc pots), but nonetheless, was sufficiently impressed and just flat out gifted me a Godly Dex. Wow!

However, I didn't even apply it. By this point I had figured out that the Crowsnest template was garbage. I sold it and rerolled an Aelfborn of my own design, which lasted throughout the remainder of War and then Entropy.

brandun69
Snobo
Snobo

Post by brandun69 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 am

With my elf fury, vs half giant barb. Over blade weaver drop. He came after me, first mistake :) Stun insued. blind, fury of wind, double lighting debuff -100%.. so sexy :P stun wears off soon after the last lighting debuff lands.. the giant aproached my face, his atr being dust would swing and miss a barn, my blade weaving swords of lighting coming down on his anus.. double proc..a nuke or two.. shortest fight iv ever fought. And one of the most satisfying :) I relive this fight in my dreams sometimes.. and it never gets old :D

Purg
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Purg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 am

Ah, thats why I remember Lakemen. We were in Purity Council together. You might remember me, I was aa Half Giant sheild/hurlbat barb, Purgg the Vicious I believe. I remember your scout well.

I spotted Crowsnest on this forum a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen that name pop up since he and his wife stopped playing right before PC was burned. I also borrowed his template way back when, to build an irekei thief I believe, before I knew any better. You can't really blame him, people really didn't know what they were doing back then. Still, he essentially tainted an entire generation of scouts on War. So many low con builds without the defense to support it. I almost miss the naivety. We used to hold regular Barb duels and my shitty shield/chucker barb was the undefeated champ for a solid year. It took forever for people to figure out you could stun another barb's rage.

Regardless, it's good fun to see old faces.
Purgatory - Purg - Purge - Purges - etc.
- Kills people.
Purity Council, Fallen Angels, Dark Carnival, Order of the Pink Pansies, Weapons of Mass Destruction, China Town, Probably a few others I forget...

maxwell
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by maxwell » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:50 am

Lakemen wrote:On Malog, a SotD elf scout kited my Sapphire around for days with his Horwathi at my Phaedra's Prize Vorgrim spawns. Keep in mind that the area was a bunch of small islands in a lagoon, which made for some really awkward chasing. After what seems like forever, I finally got some pressure on him and had him badly hurt. I began to blow stamina in earnest to finish him off, but he escaped my range in the water and I was too fatigued/hurt to follow any longer. I thought he got away, but thankfully, he died a little while later. I don't remember if it was the bleed or water. Helped assuage my ego a little bit; after all, I just nearly got my Skah! handed to me by an ELF bowscout. Wish I remembered his name, very nice guy.

The same can't be said of all his guild-mates. In another incident, 3 SotD scouts came to Phaedra's Prize about 15 minutes before the Vorgrim hood dropper was due. Once again, I don't remember any names, but one of the characters was the SotD capitol/nation leader. I asked if any of them wanted to 1v1, but all refused. I would have gladly conceded the spawn if any of them had the courtesy to partake in some friendly competition, but still they refused. At this point I was mad, just KNOWING that if the situation was reversed these people would be the same ones complaining about no-skill numbers-dependent opponents. So I engaged them repeatedly and kited out until only 1 was left chasing, and fought the 1 until he ran back to his group.

I kept my eye on the spawn timer with the intent to ninja the corpse. Timing was very critical here; a few seconds too early and they'd just drive me away before starting on the mob, a few seconds too late and they'd finish it before I got close. As it turns out, I got there just a tad too early; the mob was at over half health. I quickly powered a few shoots at the mob, clicked active dodge as the scouts turned on me, and ran up next to the mob, which was still a good 4 or 5 hits from death. I stood there shooting slowly at the mob as they unloaded on me, stopping combat when the mob was down to a couple of bleed ticks. I tabbed to my other client, cast evac, and prepared to loot. Everyone bent down. The hood was on the corpse! (10% drop chance) I then proceeded to spam Nyth rune until the tunnel came. Checked my inventory, and there it was: Victory. And it was that much sweeter because I knew they had seen it.
You sir (or madam) have my respect.

Why am I not surprised that SotD wouldn't even bother dignifying you with a response to a 1v1 challenge? I suppose they prefer wizard v. noob group scams in SDR. It's not that they're obligated to accept (by no means are they), but a response would be decent.

BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by BazookaTooth » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Lakemen wrote:On Malog, a SotD elf scout kited my Sapphire around for days with his Horwathi at my Phaedra's Prize Vorgrim spawns. Keep in mind that the area was a bunch of small islands in a lagoon, which made for some really awkward chasing. After what seems like forever, I finally got some pressure on him and had him badly hurt. I began to blow stamina in earnest to finish him off, but he escaped my range in the water and I was too fatigued/hurt to follow any longer. I thought he got away, but thankfully, he died a little while later. I don't remember if it was the bleed or water. Helped assuage my ego a little bit; after all, I just nearly got my Skah! handed to me by an ELF bowscout. Wish I remembered his name, very nice guy.

This is from the script for Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow.

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Vandarr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Loved the post until I got to this part:
I tabbed to my other client, cast evac
Yuck.

If you have a second client up, you should be on another scout! :)

The fight I most wish I had recorded was a fight against a CN scout at the Gladiator dropper in the Orc camp from Vindi. I was on Ambuscade awaiting the dropper, while I played on a second client at the trav rune on Vandarr. As I wait, alt-tabbing back and forth, a CN scout pops onto track at each spawn. A few seconds later, both spawns occur. Rather than engaging both the spawns, I put my detect up, alt-tabbing back and forth on my ancient PC (3-4 second delays where my screen went black between each alt-tab). I then clicked record on both clients. Unfortunately, only the second recording kept. Apparently because I was recording from a single client install, it couldn't write two of them at the same time. I ended up killing both scouts within a few seconds of each other, and snagging a rune on each toon.

I really wish I could've made a video blending the two fights back and forth.

Sig by Dubanka - winning Vandarr entry for team sig contest, October 2013.

Citizendildo
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Citizendildo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am

My best memories of Shadowbane were on my scout, because they were my favorite and I revolutionized them the most.

Fist was on Veng during the huge PKI vs KGB fight or shortly before it ( I started on veng btw) when I made the con/ressist bird bow scout and just PvPed to lvl since low r4. I belive I was about lvl 46 at teh time and what I was told was the scout advocate got killed several times during bane pushes in which we won ( was with PKI (HoE) at the time). Also that character didn't as far as I remember ever lose to any rogue with less than 1:3 odds and didnt' lose many of those.

Also when I came back, not sure which server, maybe malog, I played with(against) Lakemen and he showed me about his human RC build which beat my bird reincarnated, I then set out and made an aelfborn full con/proc with RC and stam regen which never died once. Incredibly drawn out fights, and not a good grp toon because it could just get forced to kite away by multiple toons, but would just kite and kill any rogues it encountered.... eventually. I did shortly thereafter play a little DotA with lakemen and he ditched me cuz I sucked and had only played like 3 hours prior to that ever( I should add. heh).

Those were really the best SB moments(any video game moments) for the most part that I ever had, there were several other key member(priest, or bane leader) moments that I had fun with in a sandbox MMO, cuz i also dabbled in RTS and Wow arenas, heh ofc. But I of course always come back to troll you fools when I'm drunk cuz this is still by far the best game ever. Yo Nickuz

BoneBender
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by BoneBender » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

Irekei UA scout & ranger jumped me while I was on my gimp-as-shit pve axe&shield mino warrior.
They timed their pellgorn's quite well but dramatically underestimated the DK blind and axe def cut. Once I overcame surprise (was drunk and comfortable farming with, like, 8 boxes open) and got into a rhythm bleeding them I cut them down like a gangster.
I don't know why they didn't disengage and try again but I put a point in the win column so I don't really care.

Edit: I thought of another. My brother and I were hitting the gladiator spawn with a thief ot(bird thief, Kunivah and he was tagged to BoneCrunch's merchant tree... 4th of July I think it was). He was on a bow scout and I was on a cent druid. Well I tell my brother just to keep the thief bled and I'll worry about the spawn. He fails miserably and the thief completely sneaks me for the rune as soon as I pick it up. We managed to def cut and grass diaper him so he died on his evac.
I hit my evac bot, managed to port to 4th of July and loot his grave before he got back. Hate tells ensued.
Jim Reifinger wrote:If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, its all because your tactics suck.

Ceska
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Ceska » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Lakemen wrote:A story from War Server:

I made my first scout about a month into my Shadowbane journey. Not knowing any better at the time, I followed the famous Crowsnest template from beta: Irekei, 190 Dex / 85 Con. The problem was that this recipe called for a Godly Dex, but every time one dropped, it would go into the hands of some scrub or another. At one point I remember thinking that I was surely due, but when the next Godly Dex dropped, it went to an especially bad player named Betty? (or something? from Purity Council, you might remember her). Boy was I peeved. And being the weird person that I am, I didn't want to waste a lesser rune by applying one, only to replace it with a Godly later. So for weeks upon weeks, I ran around with 150 Dex / 85 Con and 45 unused stat points.

One day I was in Khar when BigMac, probably the best scout player in The Fallen Angels, started shouting that he'd give 5 million gold to any scout that could beat him (TFA and GoDsWrathClan were duping, so they had boatloads of cash). Godly Dex was worth about 10 million at the time, so I eagerly took him up on his challenge. We fought, and somehow I narrowly edged him out. He says he was laggy (and I believe him, because although I think I was good, noone is good enough to overcome having 45 unused stat points vs a legitimate opponent in the low stat era before conc pots), but nonetheless, was sufficiently impressed and just flat out gifted me a Godly Dex. Wow!

However, I didn't even apply it. By this point I had figured out that the Crowsnest template was garbage. I sold it and rerolled an Aelfborn of my own design, which lasted throughout the remainder of War and then Entropy.
This is by far my favorite story. <3 it. I know that it is an essential part of SB, but I really hate dual boxing. It has always thrown me off. Don't know why, it has just always felt a bit unnatural to me.

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:04 am

I wouldn't say best but most fun fight was on Saedron. A guild AoA there had controlled all bog isle mines. So since one of my towns was on bog I decided to burn them all down & after doing that logged in 2 of my many scouts, I ran out to all 3 zones to claim the mines. By the time I got back to TM they had a fg OT. It was mixed of mino meat & mage doomies/channies with 2 scouts. I was successfully able to lure both of the scouts in between Thollock & Black Bog while running my other scout in to save the first which I lured them with, I ended up killing both of them fairly quickly after that. I then ran back to TM and proceeded to pick off there casters/meat one by one but while I was doing that one of the scouts ran out to Saveth Meere and ended up claiming the mine but logged? or SB'd before the windowed closed. So because the window stayed open for the next hour at SM I continued to pick them off consistently until they finally ran a priest out. About 2 minutes before the window ended I went on a suicide run and successfully got a ninja claim off. I received plenty of hate tells and was accused of cheating for simply out-playing them for about an hour and change. I received a rock a day later then laughed even harder when they failed to take my town.

I wish I recorded that because it would have made one hilarious video :(
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

TheWhopper
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by TheWhopper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:14 pm

thief stories>scout stories

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Cryfowl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:11 pm

TheWhopper wrote: STEAL thief stories>scout stories / thief stories

fixed that for ya

routinely crashing other peoples banes just to steal: standard
Killing a scout while on a steal thief: good
Killing both side's scouts while on a steal thief : very cool
Stealing a scout's weapon while he 's proccing up the thing: awesome
Stealing all the meat toon's rolled weapons while they are bashing the stone : priceless
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:16 pm

The best fight I had was against a vamp scout who first tried to kite me, then when he realized that wouldn't work he took off running and died as I pounded his face in. I beat an elf scout to death in a similar manner at the gladiator spawn, but I only won by 400hp because I was a noob and didn't take glad.

Return to “Rogue”