Aelf Barb

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Aelf Barb

Post by ScrappyDoo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I wanted to get away from the typical HG, Cent, or Mino barb builds that are mostly cookie cutter.

I was thinking going Aelfborn female. (ballparking all this from memory while at work)

Starting Runes:
TaN
Warlord's Page
Healthy as an Ox

Ingame Stat runes:
30con
30str

Ingame Discs:
Valkry
Runecaster
Zerker
BH(maybe gladiator instead of BH)

Trains would be typical barb trains. Going Greatsword, and thinking of training the runecaster str buff. I was thinking of Glad instead of BH but considering that its an aelfborn it will more then likely not fit with a meat spec filled with minos or cents so maybe having track will be more important.

Any thoughts....

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: Aelf Barb

Post by tooshifty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 pm

i love GS werebear barbs. they have an awsome WP selection.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm

tooshifty wrote:i love GS werebear barbs. they have an awsome WP selection.
Maybe werebear instead of zerker. I just liked the idea of the second rage and the little aoe slash to reveal all the little pesky rogues that occupy every cubic foot of shadowbane these days.

Khal
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Khal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:37 pm

I agree with WB>zerker, but Ive always liked wereforms.

More str please.
Undeadkiller wrote:Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions and shouldn't be told what they can or cannot think and or can or cannot say. It goes against the Human Rights Act.
Rewen wrote:Art thou enraged?

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 pm

I'd rather have a sentinel buffbot and put those trains into the resist buff from RC instead.

Why Aelf over Human? I've rolled both, rarely did I end up using the aelf snare immunity and having all those extra trains on a barb is pretty fun.
You can run, but you'll die tired.

Gahn
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Gahn » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:57 am

only reason to go aelf is because of the snare immunity...

If you are not going to use it Human would be the way to go.

Rucker
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Rucker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:24 am

Aelfs cant be werebears only hg and humans can take it. You might want to keep in mind that GS barbs only get a level 20 slashing expose. I'd recommend werebear GHammer barb if your planning on fighting alot of rogues. That way you've got a def cut , stance removal, stuns and powerblocks not to mention the wereform buffs. If your not into werebear or want to go aelf then Gaxe might be your best bet.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:44 am

i know aelfs cant be bears ^^

i just like GS + Werebear.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Rucker
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Rucker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:27 pm

I was just pointing out because the OP said he wanted to go Aelf.

Bombstrapped
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Bombstrapped » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I like the WB idea. I think bear form grants a movement bonus which is always nice for running people down. I had a buddy who made something similar but went hammer and shield. I always enjoyed that you couldn't tell he carried a shield in wereform. People always got confused why they weren't hitting him. Sometimes even dropping into P stance in their ignorance.

Bole
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Bole » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Should be a fun build

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 am

Bole wrote:Should be a fun build

It is a fun build. I wanted to get out of the typical cent/mino/hg barb templates. With the huge amounts of scouts in the game and other high def rogues the valk atr buff essentially removes their def from the equation. I went Aelfborn with this one at the last phase because of getting snared while the rogues run off. I realize I wasn't going to catch a scout/thief regardless of the snare immunity but it did help in some situations.

This go around I have a human valk GS barb and went werebear with it. I also have a HG GH WB barb as well. However, with the large amount of UA rogues running around I have noticed a lot of people spec towards crushing and piercing resist but not as much with slashing. So ironically my human GS does more DPS then my hg GH does. The valk atr buff is huge also. Typically a UA scout will attempt to jump me, I pop the atr buff and vengence and with the attack speed of a LoA GS I double tap along with the vengence damage that the scout is taking and he's usually nearly dead before he has time to disengage. When he does disengage I AoE stun and finish him off. The HG has a similar chance but lacks the atr to land every shot. The one thing I do like with the GH powers is the stance removal that works just as good as a def cut, but is typically overlooked by the person you are attacking and they forget to reapply the def stance.

Bruskie
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Bruskie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:47 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:

It is a fun build. I wanted to get out of the typical cent/mino/hg barb templates. With the huge amounts of scouts in the game and other high def rogues the valk atr buff essentially removes their def from the equation. I went Aelfborn with this one at the last phase because of getting snared while the rogues run off. I realize I wasn't going to catch a scout/thief regardless of the snare immunity but it did help in some situations.

This go around I have a human valk GS barb and went werebear with it. I also have a HG GH WB barb as well. However, with the large amount of UA rogues running around I have noticed a lot of people spec towards crushing and piercing resist but not as much with slashing. So ironically my human GS does more DPS then my hg GH does. The valk atr buff is huge also. Typically a UA scout will attempt to jump me, I pop the atr buff and vengence and with the attack speed of a LoA GS I double tap along with the vengence damage that the scout is taking and he's usually nearly dead before he has time to disengage. When he does disengage I AoE stun and finish him off. The HG has a similar chance but lacks the atr to land every shot. The one thing I do like with the GH powers is the stance removal that works just as good as a def cut, but is typically overlooked by the person you are attacking and they forget to reapply the def stance.

very cool! i made a procing bird throwing hammers and i am just slaying with him. the stance removal is pretty cool. i think i am going to try out your human GS valk barb this weekend. ill roll one up.
Blood & Iron

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Bruskie wrote:
ScrappyDoo wrote:

very cool! i made a procing bird throwing hammers and i am just slaying with him. the stance removal is pretty cool. i think i am going to try out your human GS valk barb this weekend. ill roll one up.
Yeah the human GS barb is fun. It can't stand toe to toe with a mino barb as well as it can a UA scout though. I have taken out a few mino barbs/warriors and cent barbs with it but they actually pose more difficult then the UA/dagger toons do. I have a +10con +15 pierce dmg hood along with my GM vengeance and they basically kill themselves. After an expose they are hitting themselves for nearly as much dmg as they are hitting me for per hit....I just have 4k more hp then they do plus I am dealing my own damage to them. The lucky rogues that can disengage successfully typically try to wait out your vengeance and/or the atr buff. In which case I typically pretend to recall which usually has them re-engaging me only to kill themselves...the smart ones let the recall go through cause they know that trading that much damage for each successful hit on me they wouldn't survive unless they were a pure regen toon.

Bodlede
Snobo
Snobo

Aelf Barb

Post by Bodlede » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:43 am

Great

I saw all kinds of ideas on the Discord with Bard/Barb/WM or with KC.

But Im not sure a Hin be good for all this. Was thinking Strongheart Halfling with their stat bonuses but ECL 2 :

Return to “Barbarian, Savage of the Northlands”