Minotaur Barbarian and int?

DeadManSade
Snobo
Snobo

Minotaur Barbarian and int?

Post by DeadManSade » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:06 am

I am working on a minotaur warrior and am confused by int. How does int work when it comes to training and what is a decent number to expect to put into it on order not to be gimped? I am looking this up online as well so as not to waste too much of your time. I just hope for more direct insight here.

DeadManSade
Snobo
Snobo

Re: Minotaur Barbarian and int?

Post by DeadManSade » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:25 am

The most relevant data I found so far was this,
{Strength Based Fighter - For most strength based fighters you will want to have very high constitution, since stamina will be your key need. You will also want to raise your strength fairly high, but it may not be as critical to you as con. Int probably should be 60-70 to allow you to train your focus skills to a decent point.}

I also found this,

{However, it is recommended that melee characters have at least 40 intelligence. This will allow you to train your basic skills to 100 for use of 100%-quality weapons and armor. If you get 60 Intelligence you can put 90 trains into your skills. That allows you to train a skill as long as you get +1 Skill for each train. As you get +20 skill points for the first 10 trains, you aktually get +100 to your skill. That way you get better attack rating and defence.}

Still trying to understand the idea of SB training..

DeadManSade
Snobo
Snobo

Post by DeadManSade » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:43 am

=_= Just deleted my char, but possibly too soon. I realized the template I just found was not quite what I sought. At least I will have a better idea this time around, anyway. Still going for mino barb. I feel like Tough as Nails is a good trait..but unsure.

UmbraSprite
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by UmbraSprite » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:04 pm

First you put this in the barbarian forum.

You will get several opinions on this but it is also very build dependent. Personally I typically put 50-55 INT on my non INT focused characters. INT raises your skills overall but more importantly impacts how high you will be able to raise skills you are training before they begin to cost 2 trains for 1 skill point.

This site is a bit out of date but there is still a lot of good content. The recommendation here is 60-70 INT.

http://www.anybrowser.org/shadowbane/stats.html

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 am

Basing a mino barb arround int isnt the easiest thing to do...but u can.

I would take wizards apprentice and brilliant mind at the start. It sucks that you cant take undead hunter or wyrmslayer...or rune caster for that matter...though that would make an op toon.

Take stats to
con 145
int 120
str 90

then us bloodhorn and a fast weapon via greatsword.

Another option is to go ambidex at start and use duel swords or unarmed.
Wear con/int jewlery and u still only run 155int total on that build but u have more proc sources.

either way it will fall short of other races going int/barb. Human works best in that respect.
I have made a high int human rogue spear werebear barb that sported def. Funny toon but....oddly powerful.

For a sure thing though just make an ua con/int human rogue. One of my fav toons and it is very competative vs fighter barbs. If u have dual vamp procs u will beat the best of other barbs. Oddly enough take away a vamp proc and barb 1v1s can go either way.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Mantis
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 pm

DeadManSade wrote:I am working on a minotaur warrior and am confused by int. How does int work when it comes to training and what is a decent number to expect to put into it on order not to be gimped? I am looking this up online as well so as not to waste too much of your time. I just hope for more direct insight here.
Just go with 60 int and a lot of strength and con.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:29 am

Mantis wrote:
DeadManSade wrote:I am working on a minotaur warrior and am confused by int. How does int work when it comes to training and what is a decent number to expect to put into it on order not to be gimped? I am looking this up online as well so as not to waste too much of your time. I just hope for more direct insight here.
psshh thats not helping the creative process of making viable builds no one uses.

The duel proc sword weilding, 85 int base, con/int jewlery, focusedmino barb is sounding fun right now. The plus is bloodhorn will hit way harder and eviscerate def toons some.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Mantis
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Mantis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:04 am

tooshifty wrote:
Mantis wrote:
psshh thats not helping the creative process of making viable builds no one uses.

The duel proc sword weilding, 85 int base, con/int jewlery, focusedmino barb is sounding fun right now. The plus is bloodhorn will hit way harder and eviscerate def toons some.
But he said "what is a decent number to expect to put into it in order to not be gimped" :D

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 am

Mantis wrote:
tooshifty wrote:
Mantis wrote:

But he said "what is a decent number to expect to put into it in order to not be gimped" :D
psshh i read very carelessly....fcking dislexia...

U win....60int is all u need on it for pure str dmg.

mycats breath smells like cat food.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Bonham
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Bonham » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Solo play, 60 int is pretty good. It makes a more well rounded character.

I like 42 int for GVG on centaur, and I go even lower for races with better stat spreads. Use the extra points for str, not con. Here is why:

Str is productive. You get return on every swing. In gvg situations , stam is not an issue. If you are targeted and die, it should not be because you needed an extra 1k hps, it should only be because the incoming dmg was greater than your groups ability to heal.

Furthermore, Shadowbane is a game of pressure. Constitution does not create pressure. Only take it as high as you NEED to. This ties into int.

You suck at fighting rogues, get used to it. Atr debuffed, no matter how high your int, you arent going to hit that well built rogue. Some, you wont be able to hit without any debuffs on you. So why invest in a stat that gives you less dmg or hp/stam per point?

As a great prophet once said "Get big!"
Shepherd - Teclus - NeilYoung - LedZepp - Zeppelin

Bruskie
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Bruskie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Bonham wrote:Solo play, 60 int is pretty good. It makes a more well rounded character.

I like 42 int for GVG on centaur, and I go even lower for races with better stat spreads. Use the extra points for str, not con. Here is why:

Str is productive. You get return on every swing. In gvg situations , stam is not an issue. If you are targeted and die, it should not be because you needed an extra 1k hps, it should only be because the incoming dmg was greater than your groups ability to heal.

Furthermore, Shadowbane is a game of pressure. Constitution does not create pressure. Only take it as high as you NEED to. This ties into int.

You suck at fighting rogues, get used to it. Atr debuffed, no matter how high your int, you arent going to hit that well built rogue. Some, you wont be able to hit without any debuffs on you. So why invest in a stat that gives you less dmg or hp/stam per point?

When I roll out solo or with friends I don’t all ways have access to heals or bard bots. I think the more well-rounded you build your barb the more productive you will be. Not to mention the more fun you will have.

I doubt Bonham goes to open trees solo, I also doubt he smashes down mines and or walls or banes with his barb. his barb is a cold hearted killer that is what it is designed to do. but he rat holes himself in 1 role and is left useless in other different kinds of situations. once his priest is down he will follow behind shortly or run off to fight another day.

As for High int I am totally for it, the higher the atr the more you hit. Solo, It is not much help if you are atr DE buffed but during Mines and pvp there are enough classes out there that can def cut the target called. And I do not need to switch into offence stance as often.
Blood & Iron

Bonham
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Bonham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Like I said, 60 int will round you out. Any more than that and you are investing 2 for 1 and probably giving up more efficient trains in something else.

I still have around 1300 atr, but solo, with higher int, a 26% def cut and p-stance still isnt going to be enough without some help from an alternative debuffer.

Things I cant fight that most non aracoix cant either:

Castlars
High defense rogues - if you lose to a barb you are pretty bad.
Perma flyers

That is pretty much all anyone plays solo. So good luck spiking int to improve your solo play.

Bonham
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Bonham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Bruskie wrote:
Bonham wrote:Solo play, 60 int is pretty good. It makes a more well rounded character.

When I roll out solo or with friends I don’t all ways have access to heals or bard bots. I think the more well-rounded you build your barb the more productive you will be. Not to mention the more fun you will have.

I doubt Bonham goes to open trees solo, I also doubt he smashes down mines and or walls or banes with his barb. his barb is a cold hearted killer that is what it is designed to do. but he rat holes himself in 1 role and is left useless in other different kinds of situations. once his priest is down he will follow behind shortly or run off to fight another day.

As for High int I am totally for it, the higher the atr the more you hit. Solo, It is not much help if you are atr DE buffed but during Mines and pvp there are enough classes out there that can def cut the target called. And I do not need to switch into offence stance as often.
Also, I would love to meet your barb and show you how useless mine is.

Bruskie
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Bruskie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Bonham wrote:
Bruskie wrote:

Also, I would love to meet your barb and show you how useless mine is.
all i am saying is you are geared for 1 thing and that is the most dmg u can put out.

sorry if came off that way. i was just trying to point out the differences between your build and mine.

Try vengeances with them pesky rogues, works very well.
Last edited by Bruskie on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blood & Iron

Bruskie
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Bruskie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Bonham wrote:Like I said, 60 int will round you out. Any more than that and you are investing 2 for 1 and probably giving up more efficient trains in something else.

I still have around 1300 atr, but solo, with higher int, a 26% def cut and p-stance still isnt going to be enough without some help from an alternative debuffer.

Things I cant fight that most non aracoix cant either:

Castlars
High defense rogues - if you lose to a barb you are pretty bad.
Perma flyers

That is pretty much all anyone plays solo. So good luck spiking int to improve your solo play.

Castlars or deflars it has been a 50 50 fight, once they fly it is over....but if they stay on the ground i tend to get them.
rogues with high def give me problems but with vengeance it has helped enough for them to run from me

also higher the int is not just for solo play, as i stated before bro i do better out of spec groups with little not no heals.

to each his own i was not trying to flame you.
Blood & Iron

xilic
Snobo
Snobo

Post by xilic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:40 am

DeadManSade wrote:I am working on a minotaur warrior and am confused by int. ...
that pretty miuch says it all
play to crush! - Pyn/LB

Return to “Barbarian, Savage of the Northlands”