How to play a support mage bard?

sildenafil
Snobo
Snobo

How to play a support mage bard?

Post by sildenafil » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:08 pm

I've never done one of these before but I am asked to roll one so I am giving it a shot.

It looks like I should be cycling through chants and debuffing, rooting, snaring, countersonging, all the while staying alive.

Assuming I have the above right here are my questions -

1. Should I be primarily in defensive stance for the added survivability?
2. Should I bother training dread dissonance? It is such a weak nuke and my bardsong will not be maxed given my need for trains.
3. If I don't train dread dissonance should I replace it with stun? Another resist chant? A regen chant?
4. Do you train any regen chants on a support bad now with all the pots?
5. Is this the type of bard that Eastre played back in the day?

Thank you in advance. The template is a guild provided spec so I don't feel comfortable providing it here...

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: How to play a support mage bard?

Post by tooshifty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:19 am

Youll love support bards.

for buff chants depend on your group spec. Dmg, mana, hpregen, and sos and the important ones. I dont even train the mana or hp regen ones so i can make room for more debuffing.

If u want to go hardcore take mage and play in def stance with hp around the 4k ballpark.

train
str/dex debuff
Int/spir debuff
Countersong
both of the roots
mage stun
Ritardando and molto ritardando

Some people train up and use mage bolt on support bards to get more kill shots...but i find it wastes points when u should focus on control. I take dread dissonence. I also only put a single train in pernicious puns as the dot cripples your ability to control enemy movement.

Note i usually stay in off stance and throw out the occassional nuke or heal, and change to def if a nuke hits me.

you can also go bow on mage for the proc dps while u use control spells. I personally just rock a feather wand for...again....saving more points for control spells. The control from bow is nice too...but at a high price. For bow id make a rogue bard with similar stats.

human or irekei bards are where its at....aracoix and elfborn are close 3rds.

PS. Strip your targets 4 times and hit them with int and dex debuffs..its painful for them. Root anything aproaching you or your priests as well as root any target called...wait for them to break the root and hit them with your seccond root as well as a snare.

constantly change targets and debuff between rooting snar3ing and stunning(dont attempt to stun anything with a hint of def. Your stun atr will be around 1000).
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:32 am

Dont forget to strip allies of roots. Thats pretty key.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

sildenafil
Snobo
Snobo

Post by sildenafil » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 am

many thanks, sounds like fun

Return to “Bard, Keeper of Lore”