Always Wanted One

Post Reply
Skippy
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 am
Location: Phoenix, Az

Always Wanted One

Post by Skippy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:03 am

Doomy is a class that I have never quite figured out. Everytime I try and build one I gimp the toon. I would prefer to use minos for surviveability but dont know how to compensate for the lack of int. Anyone have a decent build I can work off of or have some useful tips for a doomy noob?
Image

Morduskull
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Morduskull » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:02 am

Skippy wrote:Doomy is a class that I have never quite figured out. Everytime I try and build one I gimp the toon. I would prefer to use minos for surviveability but dont know how to compensate for the lack of int. Anyone have a decent build I can work off of or have some useful tips for a doomy noob?
High spirit so your get good consistent drains.

Thorskyl
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Thorskyl » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

High strength so you can carry more potions that you loot off people you kill.
Image

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

VorgrimScout
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by VorgrimScout » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:09 pm

What do you want to use it for exactly? I can almost guarantee that you will be disappointed with a mino doomy outside of GvG. You can still kill plenty of people on a doomy specced for that purpose, but it's not where Doomies really shine.

Mino doomys are one of my favourite utility builds. Debuffing, mana destruction, supplementary heals and a big sign over your head that says kill me. Not that you need one because their priests will be screaming in vent if you do your job right. I had the DD drain for the occasional killshot when it was obvious we won, but if you go into a fight dropping DoT drains on everything, you might as well have brought a real dps.

I can provide you with a good build for either, but for GvG you will probably need to talk your guildies into the idea first. Some guilds don't use them at all.
Image

Vivitron
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 342
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Vivitron » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Max con and int, experiment with the trains.

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by TheWhopper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:56 am

your better off going neph healer.. minos shine at banes and they lost alot of their sex appeal ever since stylecasting got nerfed.

Skippy
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 am
Location: Phoenix, Az

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:01 am

VorgrimScout wrote:What do you want to use it for exactly? I can almost guarantee that you will be disappointed with a mino doomy outside of GvG. You can still kill plenty of people on a doomy specced for that purpose, but it's not where Doomies really shine.

Mino doomys are one of my favourite utility builds. Debuffing, mana destruction, supplementary heals and a big sign over your head that says kill me. Not that you need one because their priests will be screaming in vent if you do your job right. I had the DD drain for the occasional killshot when it was obvious we won, but if you go into a fight dropping DoT drains on everything, you might as well have brought a real dps.

I can provide you with a good build for either, but for GvG you will probably need to talk your guildies into the idea first. Some guilds don't use them at all.
I was looking for a utility build like you were saying. Something to distract meat toons and give them a hard time. Also to drain mana from casters and healers lol.

Since i havent played doomies i dont know how the play style differs from neph to mino doomies.
Image

BeanCurd
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by BeanCurd » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:34 am

Skipp you've seen me make my doomy Aids on the lil previews we had. It was pretty fun i always loved the spi build mino doomy for pvp but if you where wanted to do more with killing mobs neph for sure.. but i love the cow..
Image

NinetyL
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by NinetyL » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:55 am

Morduskull wrote: High spirit so your get good consistent drains.
About that, I was wondering... since Doomy drains min damage is the same as max damage, is it really that useful to train spirit? According to Morloch Wiki the damage scales from 10 to 20, as in 10-10 to 20-20 so I wonder how that would work

VorgrimScout
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by VorgrimScout » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:05 am

You are probably better off making the int version now in damage terms. The spi version was a workaround because minos couldn't get to 85 int for rune stacking. Not saying the spi version isn't viable, but it's not optimal for drain dps.

That said I only played spi versions, didn't make one after the change.
Image

Beula
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:06 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Beula » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 am

NinetyL wrote:
Morduskull wrote: High spirit so your get good consistent drains.
About that, I was wondering... since Doomy drains min damage is the same as max damage, is it really that useful to train spirit? According to Morloch Wiki the damage scales from 10 to 20, as in 10-10 to 20-20 so I wonder how that would work
But int raises the max damage of a spell so while it scales the same at 0 int when you have higher int your max damage is raised higher than your min damage. If I remember correctly that is.

Cools
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: CREAM Headquarters

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Cools » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:05 am

Int raises your max damage higher and faster than spi raises your min. Spi builds on any caster are crap imo. It's like an elf great hammer warrior maxing dex because he can't get high enough str.



.... Just my humble opinion :)
Cools' Real Estate And Mercantile
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by TheWhopper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:23 pm

VorgrimScout wrote:You are probably better off making the int version now in damage terms. The spi version was a workaround because minos couldn't get to 85 int for rune stacking. Not saying the spi version isn't viable, but it's not optimal for drain dps.

That said I only played spi versions, didn't make one after the change.
wow i didnt know they made that change

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Adron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 am

Cools wrote:Int raises your max damage higher and faster than spi raises your min. Spi builds on any caster are crap imo. It's like an elf great hammer warrior maxing dex because he can't get high enough str.



.... Just my humble opinion :)

What he said. Not an exact metaphor, since dex on a warrior doesn't increase your stamina pool, like spr does for casters, but for doomies it works. On some casters, the higher mana pool from spirit would compensate somewhat for the worse DPS. On a doomsayer, where you gulp down your opponent's mana anyway to cut them off at the knees, having 1600 mana is overkill.

Also, high int means higher base focus skills.. You'll eek out an entire other power trained to gm with the difference between a spr and int based mino doomie (or just have them trained much higher...whatever floats your boat).
Image

Sisma89
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:22 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Sisma89 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 pm

I think that min damage builds arent viable because spi ( casters ) and dex ( str weapon meleers ) and str ( dex weapon meleers ) give the same bonus to min damage. Problem is that min damage is usually much lower than max damage so i assure you is a waste of points. Moreover like Adron said u will lose focus skill ( casters ) and attack rating. Losing focus skill is why spi builds on casters are crap. Answer is that u have to balance your mana pool accordingly to the build ( for example a debuffer build will spend a lot of mana ) trough spirit, jewelry and cloths.

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by TheWhopper » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:58 am

Sisma89 wrote:I think that min damage builds arent viable because spi ( casters ) and dex ( str weapon meleers ) and str ( dex weapon meleers ) give the same bonus to min damage. Problem is that min damage is usually much lower than max damage so i assure you is a waste of points. Moreover like Adron said u will lose focus skill ( casters ) and attack rating. Losing focus skill is why spi builds on casters are crap. Answer is that u have to balance your mana pool accordingly to the build ( for example a debuffer build will spend a lot of mana ) trough spirit, jewelry and cloths.

You are wrong to say it's not viable . It might be better to go int these days now that it's possible but I've been the main reason my team has won a ton of fights on my spirit mino. But yeah Now that u can go int based there is no reason not to.

Sisma89
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:22 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Sisma89 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:19 pm

TheWhopper wrote:
Sisma89 wrote:I think that min damage builds arent viable because spi ( casters ) and dex ( str weapon meleers ) and str ( dex weapon meleers ) give the same bonus to min damage. Problem is that min damage is usually much lower than max damage so i assure you is a waste of points. Moreover like Adron said u will lose focus skill ( casters ) and attack rating. Losing focus skill is why spi builds on casters are crap. Answer is that u have to balance your mana pool accordingly to the build ( for example a debuffer build will spend a lot of mana ) trough spirit, jewelry and cloths.

You are wrong to say it's not viable . It might be better to go int these days now that it's possible but I've been the main reason my team has won a ton of fights on my spirit mino. But yeah Now that u can go int based there is no reason not to.
I was talking about min damage builds ... I was stating that, beside having a decent mana pool for the purpose of the build, spirit based for casters are subpars.

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by TheWhopper » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:24 pm

Sisma89 wrote:
TheWhopper wrote:
Sisma89 wrote:I think that min damage builds arent viable because spi ( casters ) and dex ( str weapon meleers ) and str ( dex weapon meleers ) give the same bonus to min damage. Problem is that min damage is usually much lower than max damage so i assure you is a waste of points. Moreover like Adron said u will lose focus skill ( casters ) and attack rating. Losing focus skill is why spi builds on casters are crap. Answer is that u have to balance your mana pool accordingly to the build ( for example a debuffer build will spend a lot of mana ) trough spirit, jewelry and cloths.

You are wrong to say it's not viable . It might be better to go int these days now that it's possible but I've been the main reason my team has won a ton of fights on my spirit mino. But yeah Now that u can go int based there is no reason not to.
I was talking about min damage builds ... I was stating that, beside having a decent mana pool for the purpose of the build, spirit based for casters are subpars.
I agree it just didn't always used to be that way because Minos couldn't get 85 int to stack runes

Wrought
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Wrought » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:24 pm

If anything they're good for VOP'ing your comrades before engaging.
Image
Exalted

Cools
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: CREAM Headquarters

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Cools » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Wrought wrote:If anything they're good for VOP'ing your comrades before engaging.
VOP a mage proccer and queue the LOL's
Cools' Real Estate And Mercantile
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Vlaad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Back before the throwing nerf I have an elf BW vamp proc tdag doomy with 160 int and decent con. It was fun. The procs hit from 600-1k plus casting drains the whole time. I used it to pass the time when I was bored.

Siren
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 am
Location: Incoming

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Siren » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I thought for drains that spi was the max limiter and int was the min. Just for drains though.

Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:14 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Vlaad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Siren wrote:I thought for drains that spi was the max limiter and int was the min. Just for drains though.
not as far as Ive noticed. I remember on mino doomies the min being higher than the max because of the low int and high spi

BeanCurd
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by BeanCurd » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeh thats how it used to be high Spi would make ur minimum damage like 349 and ur max 347 it was funny
Image

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Adron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 pm

yep, spi had more effect on min and int on the max, just like any other DD. tested on old and new servers for truthiness.
Image

Kidsmeal
Ice Drake
Ice Drake
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Always Wanted One

Post by Kidsmeal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Doomies seemed to be outshined on the most recent servers due to melee bane.

On Saedron though, you saw a decent amount of them depending on what charters were floating around. Doomies and Warlocks seem to be overlooked by people when looking for support. If SBEMU balances out somethings, once it is live of course, you could see doomies popping up again.

I remember when I first started playing there was an Elf Archmage Doomy from Dissent. That thing was viscous, this was before open tree PvP became lame so you saw a wide variation of characters.

Just know this.. if you roll a doomy it isn't the easiest character to master and it is generally targeted first outside of an assassin. Work on your kiting skills, calling for heals properly, and stun immunity and you are slightly less of a glassy mage.
Image

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

Post Reply

Return to “Doomsayer, Devotee of Chaos”