The Powerthirst Build with Instructions.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

The Powerthirst Build with Instructions.

Post by Brickk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:09 am

With talk of builds and templates all over, I've decided to put my Confessor build, as accurately as I can, to paper.

Powerthirst:

Creation Runes Applied:
Born of Irydnu (Human Int Rune)
Brilliant Mind
Tough As Nails

At creation, your spread should look like this:

STR 35/100
DEX 25/100
CON 50/100
INT 60/120
SPI 43/100

I put the remainder in SPI, as I will be raising this stat quite a bit. The decision on these runes, while ineffecient is done for a variety of reasons, but chief of those is it's 1 point more efficient on this build than wizards apprentice at creation and 5 points more efficient than it come end game. I desire 160 INT on this build, so the Human Int rune is the lesser of two evils. At 75 the stats look like this:

STR: 35/100
DEX: 25/100
CON: 100/100
INT: 160/160
SPI: 94/100

The alternate of this is to go 150 INT, skip the Human INT rune and raise SPI higher, using a +5 SPI rune, wherein your CON will be 100, INT 150 and SPI 104. Both work. I like the INT a touch better, you can also go 94,160,100 C/I/S if don't mind being even lighter on HP than this build already is. I've done all of the above and really, again, I prefer the 100/160/94 CIS.

Focus Trains:

Benediction: 84% (37 Trains)
Restoration: 124% (77 Trains)
Block: 100% (58 Trains)
Med. Armor: 100% (58 Trains)
Thaumaturgy: I raise this as high as I can. Using the Prytrek Calc, it says I can dump 150 Trains here for 159%. I don't believe it because I'm not sure I ever natively got my Thaum up that high. I got to 150% and stoped there. Using the calculator, that would be 117 Trains, which sounds about right.

This should leave me with 357 Trains to play around with. NOT MUCH, AMIRITE??

The spells:

Blessed Mending: 2 Second Heal, Restoration Based. This is my heal, besides drains, it's the only pillar which holds aloft my meager pool of hitpoints. 39 Trains, as 1 is granted.

Purge Wickedness: If'n I'm nuking, I might be nuking with this. Fire is universally resisted, but drains cannot be. While even a resisted Brand The Wicked might have a touch more Oomph, the Drain has a secondary effect of healing me. If I've taken damage, or I have some kind of positioning issue (I may explain this later) Purge will be my nuke. 40 Trains.

Purgation: Poison DoT. One of my 3 dots, and unless I'm fighting a vamp, or an assassin, or worse, a vamp assassin, this might be the first thing I introduce you to. It does pretty dern fair damage and has a 60% snare tied to it. Not to mention it has a very short cast time and a comfortable recast timer - this might actually be the confessors most used spell of them all. 40 Trains.

Contrition: Health Drain Over Time. I wish this was a better spell, but as it is - it's plenty good. The cast time is long, its range short, the recast not as warm and cuddly as the other DoTs but it's another drain... and the actual goal of this toon is to support itself with drains. Lots of them. So this DoT is indispensable. GM it with 40 Trains, Purge Wickedness is a req. for this spell.

Uvoriels Judgement: Fire Damage Over Time. It's powerfull and quick. I call it Vamp's Bane personally. Or Vamp-Be-Gone. It's pretty badass and is usually the second dot you cast, unless of course it's against a vamp... then it's the first. GM'd. 40 Trains.

Defy The Witch: This is your Duct Tape. This is your WD-40. This is what you use when ****'s not working... give 'er a good whack Earl. This is a Dispell Effect. Both buffs and debuffs can be dispelled with this and thus it needs be GM. If you're snared, use it on you. If you can't hit someone, or that someone is a Templar or something... use it on them. Use it on friends family and party members when you want to piss them off. Assign a series of hotkeys to Target Self -> Defy -> Target Previous. This helps with breaking snares quickly, the last part is if you're forgetfull and you end up dotting yourself! GM, 40 Trains.

Steadfast Soul: Personal Damage Absorber. If you're in a guild with me, say you're new, I'll probably "pull you aside," and tell you that you'd better not have any GMed Personal Damage Absorbers. I swear to god if I find out you've got a GMed personal damage absorber I'll kick your ass from here to next Friday. 39 trains in this is good enough for most, but waaaaay too much for me. I train it only enough to get the Group version... which is why I don't want anyone else overwriting my GENEROUS and SELFLESS Group Damage Absorber. It costs a lot to get that DA, so you'd better not **** it up. 15 Trains ONLY. Use it as a backup when the bigger, better Group DA breaks.

Steadfast Congregation: Group Damage Absorber. It. Works. Better. Than. Any. Damage. Absorber. In. The. Game. Don't overwrite it. Inadvertantly, this is also a kind of Vamp-Be-Gone. GM, it's why Benediction is 84%. Expensive, and most people will just log a bot for this. I figure, if'n I'm going to be logging bots, I'm going to be logging in Doomy bots to make me kick more ass... not to keep me from dying. I can afford this, so WTH! 40 Trains, though really it's sooo much more.

Fortress Of Faith: I'll wager only JackalOPP ever GMed this. It would be a nice toy to have, but 1 train is enough.

Brand The Wicked: You can GM this or you can put remainder trains into it. I sometimes GM it, because I like to get Killshots. I'm not going to lie. Really, I do refine this all the time. It's a good nuke. A hard nuke. But it's just a ****ing nuke. If I wanted to nuke I'd play a prelate. 20 Trains are required for Uvoriels Judgement. 20 is enough.

Saint Malorns Wrath: AoE. POINT BLANK AoE. Underpowered Point Blank AoE. Underpowered Highly Resisted Point Blank AoE. Anything more than 1 train is a waste of trains. Use it to maybe pop stealthers or to help guildmates kill mobs. You won't be farming with this toon because any mob worth a damn to grind can in fact kill it. I'm not ****ting you.

Sanction Of The Temple: The ****ing cross to bear. This is your root. GM your boring root so you don't die and you can help your guild too. It's of the utmost importance, but I have always hated spending points on boring basic crap like roots. Universally usefull, always important and yet... well... yawn. 40 Trains.

Inspiration Of The Zealots: Not trained. If you can sit, sit. Pots are usefull too.

There's a Vamp Power Block you can trade the AOE for, they're both very circumstantial powers and not totally usefull. If I didn't occasion on said circimstances, I'd leave them BOTH untrained and raise my Fire nuke. Same can be said of Inspiration of the Zealots really. This build has more SPI than most, so it's not a totally nessisary spell, albeit handy in a real pinch.

There's other really nice group utility spells, but I don't **** with those. I'm sure I'm a bad person for not using them.

Now on to GEAR! Ubargear!

Head: +12 INT, +100 Mana, +35% Mana Regen Clensing Flame Brothers Hood. (+3 too Thaum is the clencher IMO)

Sholders (chest): +5 Slash, +5 Pierce Confessor MA Brestplate.

Knees (legs): +5 Crush, +5 Slash Confessor MA Leggings.

and Toes (Feet): +5 Slash, +15% Movement Confessor MA Boots.

also; Hands: +5 Pierce +5 Crush Confessor MA Gloves.

and Arms: +5 Pierce +5 Slash Confessor MA Armguards.

Proving for a total of something like (guesstimation) 47% to slash and Pierce and 37 to crush. FM Hardens help, but the DA is a good part of your resists. I once had 6 of my many selfsummoning dwarf bashers logged as FM bots. :)

Ammy: Charmed of Thaumaturgy (20% resist to Fire, Lightning, Ice and +10 to Thaum)
Ring 1: Abominations of Thaumaturgy (35% Resist to Holy, +10 Thaumaturgy)
Ring 2: Apostates of Thaumaturgy (35% Resist to Unholy, +10 Thaumaturgy)
Gilded Scepter: Peerless of whatever the Poison res is called (+165 ATR, 17% Atk Speed & 15% Poison Resist)
Shield: Magic! Magic! (35% Magic Resist, 15% Magic Resist)

The point here is ATR, and balanced resists based on a long study of what the hell was ****ting in my cherrios all the time. Poison resist might seem peculiar, but don't let that damage type fool you. MANY people deal in poison and MANY are either popular or potent or both. I have no dispell for poison, personally, and I'm not about to call for a dispell for just that. Assassins, Confessors, Furies and Druids deal a lot of the stuff, and glass bows are a bother. On Malog, I purposefully refined my Fessor "Awesome" to be gimpy by way of training the Poison Resist Buff. It actually worked out amazingly, since CN had sooo many Glass Bows.

Magic is another type that pissed me off one too many times. NO MORE. 50% is the minimum I carry around.

I sometimes sport a "Protection From Unholy" buff - usually in GvG where Necros can be expected. Wearing a little extra never hurt. Holy debuffs come from Sentinels and I know pretty well how to keep away from easily rooted Sents. 35% is enough.

Elemental Damage is serious business, as a Confessor I know this well. Charmed is the most efficient add one can get on an ammy, and I accept no subsitutes. Bards can make of the rest of my resists on this front, but when away from the group - it's imperitive to know you've only got 20 to each, so play accordingly.

The spread isn't amazing, but time has tested it and with the environment as it was at the games closing, I found that gear to be best for my purposes.

I also kept sets of FULL resist gear, even a Bel-Nug Wiener Helm for more serious engagements... odds were, if the situation was that dire, I wouldn't be on my Confessor at all anyway (contrary to popular belief, I did have other toons!)

Closing Points:

I keep CON as low as I can be comfortable with because I see CON, particularly on a caster, like an engineer might see weight on a performance car. The less "weight" I am carrying the better I'll perform. The limitation is simply at how I can mitigate damage, avoid and escape damage and recieve heals. Props to my boys in Concordia, Strad and Dally in particular, good priests make me look better. With moderately high RESTO, like I have, I can heal quickly and efficiently. The Drains also keep me alive where other casters might die. Confessors who don't drain as much won't need so much spirit, and would like more CON.

The high spirit is, chiefly, for higher average DPS. Being a DoTer/Drainer the benefit from higher spirit is very much noticeable. Over time, my DPS is better than any other 160 INT Confessor. My ATR is also appreciably higher, much to the dismay of many rogues and other high DEF toons. With Rank 1 Boons both Human and Fessor, my ATR is in the nighborhood of 2200 in O-Stance. (Guesstimate). Beyond that, the higher SPI provides me with lots of Mana. My attitude to IotZ is reflected in this. I find that spell less important because I have more mana to work with, and less health to sacrifice for that matter.

The INT at 160 is simply a power grab. 150 is just fine, but I just really really like hitting harder and with greater reliability than anyone else. I play to be a problem for our enemies, not just extra DPS. I play to become an issue, which is often why I'm out in the auxiliary of a fight, not in the main "fist" if you will. 160 INT is indeed garish, and really unnessisary to be a good confessor, but I don't want to be just "good."

DoTs are your bread and butter, and casting them just once is not enough. They'll get dispelled, and snares don't last too long. I rarely let them run their course, unless I am confident they're not being dispelled. Read and React is the way you have to play this toon, and you've got to know when to press your advantage and when to give it up and run.

Drains are handy, they mitigate damage but being on the outside of fights often pits me against Assassins. Drains will save you where nothing else will. I've toyed with Darksworn as a tool to this end as well and the trains just aren't there. Also, the recast timer is a total letdown.

The Discs I take on this generally don't get trains.

Commander: Stun break and command siege engine are free and handy.
Undead Hunter: Cure Disease is free... I had a spare UDH laying around so I applied it.
Traveler: There have been times where I have refined out the AOE and IoZ to use this, as it's a good deal more practical than those two spells by and large.

Disciplines are NOT important to the Confessor, however Commander should be taken if the toon is used often in GvG. Can't have too many stun breaks (not as though you don't already have one with Defy The Witch).

/Wall of Text.

(EDITED: I reduced Restoration to accomodate Brand The Wicked to pass the Req. for Uvoriels Judgement. Also, got rid of Inspiration of the Zealots. Numbers of trains, and %'s changed accordingly).
your stupid an i no it,

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: The Powerthirst Build with Instructions.

Post by Adron » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:58 pm

You do not need 20 trains in brand the wicked to take uvoriel's judgement. There are no requirements for uvoriel's judgment. http://morloch.playtocrush.net/index.ph ... s_Judgment

I also refined BtW a lot. if you're paired with a fire channie and a fury, wahoo! otherwise, pass.

Steadfast Congregation has the highest resistance modifier of any dmg absorber (95%'s), but the lowest total absorption (720 compared to 750 for personals). It was certainly easier to spike your resists to 75 after 41% weapon debuff (30+95-41=84), so generally it did stay up longer, unless you were just being peppered by no-dmg-type debuffers (bows,xbows, druids) or had respectable resist cloth, in which case you would have an unfairly poor opinion of the old 'congregation.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:59 pm

I copypasta'd this from the PTC forums, and there are some inaccuracies, as you pointed out. I was going to edit it, but I figured I'd let people "Where's Waldo," that shit. Steadfast has served me well, and I will continue to use it. Granted, I'll always play around with out it, to see "what I can get away with," but odds are, my fessors will likely have the GDA trained and on.

Brand The Wicked might be my most refined spell of all, for what it's worth. It fluctuates from GM to very little frequently. If nothing else, it'll keep people on their toes... but I like to play around with other more circumstantial powers from time to time.
your stupid an i no it,

Reaper989
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Reaper989 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:08 am

The AoE requires 2 points into Brand the Wicked, always has and shouldn't change.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm

I shouldn't have reposted this, as the build with the corrections made later in the old thread is posted on the Wiki. But yes, you're right.

I have a question though, somewhat related to confessor... we can still undercast right? I mean, we'll be able to right?
your stupid an i no it,

Reaper989
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Reaper989 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Brickk wrote:I shouldn't have reposted this, as the build with the corrections made later in the old thread is posted on the Wiki. But yes, you're right.

I have a question though, somewhat related to confessor... we can still undercast right? I mean, we'll be able to right?
It was removed for a reason, so probly not?

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 am

Boourns. It's been too long now....
your stupid an i no it,

Jomini
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Jomini » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:52 pm

those were exactly my stats on my fessor back in the day

loved that guy

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Jomini wrote:those were exactly my stats on my fessor back in the day

loved that guy
Well played then!
your stupid an i no it,

Immaculate
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Immaculate » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:06 am

Possibly, if not, damn close to my exact build as well. Fessor was the one toon I steadily played from beginning to end in some capacity

Azrael
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Azrael » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 pm

really close to my stats, i went with 150 int and added the difference into con.

Ukinator
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Ukinator » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 am

POWERTHIRSTTTT
"This isn't no contest, this is Michael Phelps, bong hits and gold metals mother [censored]."-BizArr
"It's not your guild Granto, it's those Trash Talk guys, they talk to much [censored]."-Hattrack

ManAgainstTime
10v10 Champion
10v10 Champion

Post by ManAgainstTime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:59 am

Similar to my MAT build, but I do it a little differently. Less spi, more con. My casters always had low spi because I always had support bards and necro power cost buff. 1 train in the root. GM KoM because it is mean and ignores mantle. I had less trains in Thaum, IIRC, and put the remainder in BTW. Elite helm and gloves for cheap mana and MR. The character has been gone so long that I may have messed something up, but I think that's right. The Reptilians also had OrangeRabbit, a Resto support confessor that was invaluable in GvG with casters -- he may have dropped a DoT to get the mana transfer on top of everything else.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:58 pm

You probably used that Fessor differently than I generally do. The KoM is very nice, but isn't in the range of things I do usually. If it were, the stat layout and gear choice and other trains would be allocated differently. I would definitely went with lower SPI and higher CON if I used that spell on Powerthirst.

Mine is built for high dmg throughput, utilizing roots frequently (thus GMing it to lower recast timer), snare often (a greater need for mana, as spamming dots is hell on mana) and keep the psychology of damage on the target elevated. Dots and everything I do can be dispelled, but it's in the dispelling I find use. I can always reapply seconds later. It's a tax on time and resources. Obviously, there's a pack of mino's or such in their grill, making said time and resources more precious.

Basically, I play like an assassin, but far less effective in actually assassinating people. The auxiliary function is to land Much Mas Killshots on any that break stacks to kite out DPS, thus maintaining our stack. Against casters, I do more dispelling and rooting than actual damage, and serve more as an aggro-sack.

... amongst other things.
your stupid an i no it,

Chaotic
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Chaotic » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:31 am

I usually like finding the trains for SoR, I know its costy but its also pretty helpful, aspecially in an open field battles. 50 damage shield, I usually find the points. Fire is highly resisted, but far less on melees so that doesn't make much of a difference. It could be replaced by the druid's DS which is also 50 but its even more highly resisted, aspecially among melees. I see you mentioned you skipped it, but it is a nice group utility overall. I don't really remember where I took the points from on my confessor, I didn't play too much on it but I would recommand it if anyone asks.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:49 am

Chaotic wrote:I usually like finding the trains for SoR, I know its costy but its also pretty helpful, aspecially in an open field battles. 50 damage shield, I usually find the points. Fire is highly resisted, but far less on melees so that doesn't make much of a difference. It could be replaced by the druid's DS which is also 50 but its even more highly resisted, aspecially among melees. I see you mentioned you skipped it, but it is a nice group utility overall. I don't really remember where I took the points from on my confessor, I didn't play too much on it but I would recommand it if anyone asks.
I skipped it because I don't get wailed on that much by melee (i.e. all resist on shield as opposed to extra block). The points needed for it were not useful to me or my group, in my opinion. Since it's something that a bot can handle, (yes same can be said for the DA), I would be hard pressed to take it.
your stupid an i no it,

ManAgainstTime
10v10 Champion
10v10 Champion

Post by ManAgainstTime » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 am

Oh, I wasn't criticizing -- more like a compliment. The thing about confessors is that there is not a single way to tweak the stats and trains for them to be effective, but there are a few essentials. This type of confessor combined with a health battery/mana battery support confessor is a mean team for caster groups. It's too bad SB is meleebane now.

maxwell
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by maxwell » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:58 am

Interesting build. I don't see the value of 40 trains in root.

I was always partial to cloth fessors, but I played with some damn good priests. Training MA to 100 and bumping Restoration that high is really making you more of a support toon than a damage dealer. That's fine, depending on your needs.

Ironically, I go for more survivability in terms on CON and less in terms of Restoration and MA. But I think a quality argument can be made for MA.

The fire nuke should be GMed. The trains can be found. Even if they're resisting fire, you have a better casting time and that resistance is greatly reduced once the bard is gone/silenced.

I also believe that 1 point each can be spared for: Inspiration of the Zealots (you can't always sit) and the vamp power block.

My final stats:

35 STR
25 DEX
125 CON
160 INT
66 SPI

Or, with Warlord's Page taken at creation:

Obviously, much depends on your needs and who you're rolling with. I just find it strange that you're into survivability in some weird ways (MA, Restoration), bumping SPIRIT beyond where (I feel) it needs to be (arguing for more DPS even though you're doing a lot of support work), and sacrificing CON.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Resists are essential to keep dealing the damage. I often run with other kiters, or if not, must kite well on my own. The lowered recast timer on the gm root is useful. I'd investigate timer v train efficiency, but for me, it can't ever refresh soon enough.

Recent changes also add +1 Thaum to each piece of confessor hardware you wear. 3 for hoods. That's a +8 to thaum, where Hood/Robe is only +6. The benefit of Med. Armor resists mitigates damage so much better than that of cloth (I've tried cloth confessors) that I wouldn't go without armor. I however wear a cloth hood, again... the adds are better for me personally.

The support work often hinges on the dots and drains meaning something. The more I can be ignored, the less effective I am. Like the Joker said of the Batman. If we don't take care of him now... soon, little.. "Gamble," won't be able to get a nickle for his grandma. I need to snare, and root and refresh other dots A LOT. This costs mana. Spirit helps in all of these fields. Since the trains are tight and the CON low, IoZ is less an option.

In anycase, the difference in HP from 100 to 135 is insubstantial. The survivability gained from MA is worth that much HP and more. IMO. You know that old philosophy of damage. If you're losing more HP than you can refill, you're going to die. Doesn't matter if you've got 10k HP or 2k.
your stupid an i no it,

maxwell
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by maxwell » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Brickk wrote:Resists are essential to keep dealing the damage. I often run with other kiters, or if not, must kite well on my own. The lowered recast timer on the gm root is useful. I'd investigate timer v train efficiency, but for me, it can't ever refresh soon enough.

Recent changes also add +1 Thaum to each piece of confessor hardware you wear. 3 for hoods. That's a +8 to thaum, where Hood/Robe is only +6. The benefit of Med. Armor resists mitigates damage so much better than that of cloth (I've tried cloth confessors) that I wouldn't go without armor. I however wear a cloth hood, again... the adds are better for me personally.

The support work often hinges on the dots and drains meaning something. The more I can be ignored, the less effective I am. Like the Joker said of the Batman. If we don't take care of him now... soon, little.. "Gamble," won't be able to get a nickle for his grandma. I need to snare, and root and refresh other dots A LOT. This costs mana. Spirit helps in all of these fields. Since the trains are tight and the CON low, IoZ is less an option.

In anycase, the difference in HP from 100 to 135 is insubstantial. The survivability gained from MA is worth that much HP and more. IMO. You know that old philosophy of damage. If you're losing more HP than you can refill, you're going to die. Doesn't matter if you've got 10k HP or 2k.
Fair enough. I'll still take a (slight) net loss to HP at 10,000 HP than 2,000 any day. In GvG play, with dedicated healers, having a greater cushion really matters.

Of course, it's all about playstyle. Who you run with, what you're doing, all matters when resolving these differences in preference. I've done both cloth and MA, and see the advantages of both. In mine/bane GvG, I don't see enough of a benefit to MA. It doesn't help you against casters, and (at best) can buy you some time if you're targeted by melee. Sure, that time means you can keep dealing the damage (and provides some margin for error for your priests to keep you alive), but so does HP. And the HP helps no matter what's attacking you.

As for mana, I believe I was around 1,000 and never had a problem unless I forgot to put myself in walk. And I was WAY below where you are in SPI. It's a question of marginal utility for me. The excess SPI may bring up the low end damage/heals a bit, but at what cost? If you're willing to play with the low HP, then it's worth it. If you'd like to be a bit more survivable on that end, great.

Going MA for the resists, if I recall correctly, forced me to bring Restoration way down and sacrifice a few other things. I was able to do it and still keep all 3 DoTs and the fire nuke GMed, but I may have had to take points out of Thaum and definitely couldn't sink points into something like traveler.

Vuringrath
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Vuringrath » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:48 pm

maxwell wrote:Fair enough. I'll still take a (slight) net loss to HP at 10,000 HP than 2,000 any day. In GvG play, with dedicated healers, having a greater cushion really matters.
I think you're missing his point here, once you're targeted and your healers are on you it doesn't matter if you have 10k or 2k because either the incoming heals are higher than the incoming damage and you survive or they're not and you die, if you have an extra 500 HPs or whatever 35 con comes out to be you'll die slower but if you have the resists you give yourself a better shot at staying alive.

Sure the extra hitpoints are good to have when you're initially targeted giving your healers some extra time to target you but after that it's moot.

maxwell
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by maxwell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:53 am

Vuringrath wrote:
maxwell wrote:Fair enough. I'll still take a (slight) net loss to HP at 10,000 HP than 2,000 any day. In GvG play, with dedicated healers, having a greater cushion really matters.
I think you're missing his point here, once you're targeted and your healers are on you it doesn't matter if you have 10k or 2k because either the incoming heals are higher than the incoming damage and you survive or they're not and you die, if you have an extra 500 HPs or whatever 35 con comes out to be you'll die slower but if you have the resists you give yourself a better shot at staying alive.

Sure the extra hitpoints are good to have when you're initially targeted giving your healers some extra time to target you but after that it's moot.
How exactly are we disagreeing?

1. Yes, a negative HP rate (taking more damage than getting back in heals) means you'll die eventually.

2. Going MA with resists MAY alter that rate. And it may not. The MA will resist slash/crush/pierce, and that's it. Targeted by casters? No luck. Glass/vorg? Nada.

3. You also recognize the utility of extra hitpoints buying your healers time. You're going to take focus fire BEFORE the healers can get HP back to you. Very low HP, as this build has, is a liability. Hence my 10,000 HP "joke." I'd rather have the mega millions jackpot and a negative burn rate (spend $5,000 / year more than I earn) than $50 in the bank and be a thrifty saver. Even if I'm smart with my money, it just takes one instance of bad luck to bankrupt me, while the idiot who wins mega millions can make tons of mistakes and still be solvent. Yeah, it's a stupid analogy. And yes, it's probably only ~500 HP (someone should run the numbers). But if you're glassy, the extra HP keep you alive that much longer -- even if you take heavy damage that outdoes your healers -- by giving you options (run, heal yourself, cast the HP drain, root/kill your attackers).

4. I'd argue that, given the situation, the HP is even more valuable. You're resisting melee damage, which you can see (in most cases) coming at you. When those dwarves or minos start charging, you KNOW you're being targeted before you've even taken damage. And the healers can see it, too. You'll have a HoT, a group HoT, and possibly a drain pumping up your HP before the meat arrives, and then your priests have you targeted for direct heals as you get hit. You can even kite with the root or the poison snare, allowing the rest of your group to take down their targets as a pack of polearms chases you around. Against casters, who you're NOT resisting (for the most part), you take MORE damage and it happens remotely, giving priests less time to react.

I'll take the HP.

Granted, I'd like to see the numbers. The resists are nice, and I think it's possible to have it both ways without totally gimping damage output or ATR. But if I had to choose between the MA resists and 500 HP on a toon with a melee damage absorber, I take the HP.

Vuringrath
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Vuringrath » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:39 am

The resist vs hitpoint debate has been hashed out countless times over the years and isn't going to come to a conclusion here so to each his own.

Arkanis' calc has the extra 35 con giving you 390 hps and the extra 25 about 280 those should be pretty accurate numbers.

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Resists + More Thaum! Robe/Hood is 6 Thaum, Hood and MA = 8! Heh.
your stupid an i no it,

Ceska
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Ceska » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:00 pm

None of you are special enough to get my fessor build, except for maybe Maxwell.

maxwell
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by maxwell » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 am

Vuringrath wrote:The resist vs hitpoint debate has been hashed out countless times over the years and isn't going to come to a conclusion here so to each his own.

Arkanis' calc has the extra 35 con giving you 390 hps and the extra 25 about 280 those should be pretty accurate numbers.
Thanks for the numbers. You have a download site for that app?
Brickk wrote:The 2 points in Thaum are virtually meaningless. Getting MA to 100 requires a LOT of trains over going cloth, and some of those trains are usually (not always, but usually) going to come out of Thaum. Plus, if you're that worried about your ATR, tack +10 on a ring or something, or go precise temporarily. High-def rogues are always problematic on a fessor (unless someone blinds them, or you strip away their buffs one at a time), but other than that, most GvG toons aren't that affected.

The resists vs. con debate is very much alive, and I appreciate the value of the resists. But the +2 thaum argument is irrelevant given the trains sacrificed. Trying to convince me that you're gaining offense when you can't gold your focus skill (or, in Brickk's build's case, can't gold your nuke) is a bit silly.
Ceska wrote:None of you are special enough to get my fessor build, except for maybe Maxwell.
I believe I remember that toon. 2008-ish on Thurin, right?

Ceska
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Ceska » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:57 am

maxwell wrote:
Ceska wrote:None of you are special enough to get my fessor build, except for maybe Maxwell.
maxwell wrote: I believe I remember that toon. 2008-ish on Thurin, right?

Yup. Morrigain Penndragon. Actually, I played her on Fear, Vengence, Treachery, Mourning and Thurin. But the game (and as a consequence my build) substantially changed upon Thurin, so she was altered quite a bit. For example... Conc pots confused me and threw me off :P Ominous helped me a lot with that build.

Vuringrath
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Vuringrath » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:22 pm

It's a spreadsheet but it works great.

here's the excel version- http://www.tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator
and the open office version- http://tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator-OO

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Preference is what it is. My way isn't the only way, and I'm liable to change things depending on server climate as needed to my play style. I couldn't do without MA for what its worth, last I played.
your stupid an i no it,

Brickk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Brickk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Ceska wrote:

Yup. Morrigain Penndragon. Actually, I played her on Fear, Vengence, Treachery, Mourning and Thurin. But the game (and as a consequence my build) substantially changed upon Thurin, so she was altered quite a bit. For example... Conc pots confused me and threw me off :P Ominous helped me a lot with that build.

Morrigain Penndragon is no kind of name for a proper confessor. It's common knowledge that names like Rapedollars, WhiskeyTrigger and Powerthirst are all more appropriate.
your stupid an i no it,

Return to “Doomsayer, Devotee of Chaos”