Play style question.

Cardinalsfoot
Snobo
Snobo

Play style question.

Post by Cardinalsfoot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:43 am

I was looking at cast times of the DoTs. Poison, and Fire are 1 sec casting time. Very quick. The Health DoT is 5 seconds. That 5 seconds is a hell of alot of time in a battle. Im thinking in a 1v1, is it better to try and get that third DoT off, or start nuking after the first two DoTs.

Cardinalsfoot
Snobo
Snobo

Re: Play style question.

Post by Cardinalsfoot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 am

Or if you can get your stun off, would it be best to drop all 3 DoTs in that period of time, then nuke? I'm sure it matters in different situations, but for this example, lets say its a HG sader

Apollyon
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Apollyon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:31 pm

It's a non-Aelf 'sader, exploit their #1 weakness (root). Root -> drain -> poison -> burn -> kite as needed/nuke

Stosh
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Stosh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Confessors don't have a stun. I always liked to get three Dots on and then kite and nuke. Theat was before everyone had snare breaks/immunity though.

Cardinalsfoot
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cardinalsfoot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:56 pm

lets say its something i cant root. a mino barb or something

Namosa
5v5 Champion
5v5 Champion

Post by Namosa » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Cardinalsfoot wrote:lets say its something i cant root. a mino barb or something

if you lose to one of those... omai....

SB Character Creator
EXCEL http://www.tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator
Open Office http://tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator-OO

Shadowbane client DL (PW: shadowbane)
Direct Download

Brickk
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Brickk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Mino Barb's just get kited. 5 Seconds for the drain dot isn't too much for what its worth to you.
your stupid an i no it,

JimBeaver
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by JimBeaver » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 am

Brickk wrote:Mino Barb's just get kited. 5 Seconds for the drain dot isn't too much for what its worth to you.
I admire your kiting skills.
JimBeaver - R7 Half-Giant Barbarian
GetOffMyLawn - R4 Minotaur Doomsayer
Erik the Asslord - R5 Aelfborn Prelate

unfringed
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by unfringed » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 pm

obviously a root, wait for break, sprint away for 10 secs, and purg situation.

plus defying the mino's sprint.

Pyetrek
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Pyetrek » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 pm

unfringed wrote:obviously a root, wait for break, sprint away for 10 secs, and purg situation.

Would never think of defying the sprint..... Learn something new everyday.

Brickk
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Brickk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 pm

If you play Confessors alot, but then play something something else, you always note what's at or near the front of the effects window for each class. I suppose Templar players could say the same.
your stupid an i no it,

BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by BazookaTooth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Brickk wrote:Mino Barb's just get kited. 5 Seconds for the drain dot isn't too much for what its worth to you.
Agreed, for a DoT based class there needs to be some variation between cast times to balance things out, the almost instant poison DoT already has a snare.

maxwell
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by maxwell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:17 am

BazookaTooth wrote:
Agreed, for a DoT based class there needs to be some variation between cast times to balance things out, the almost instant poison DoT already has a snare.
Confessors aren't OP, so there need not be any balancing.

Brickk
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Brickk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:07 am

I think he meant that there's a balance between the length of the casting time of the drain dot, and and the brevity of the other two.

Confessors aren't OP for sure. They're one of the best balanced classes in the game.
your stupid an i no it,

BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by BazookaTooth » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:31 am

Brickk wrote:I think he meant that there's a balance between the length of the casting time of the drain dot, and and the brevity of the other two.

Confessors aren't OP for sure. They're one of the best balanced classes in the game.
Yes this^^

maxwell
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by maxwell » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:04 am

Brickk wrote:I think he meant that there's a balance between the length of the casting time of the drain dot, and and the brevity of the other two.

Fair 'nuff.

Hey, I'd like for the drain to be ~2 seconds, because I have fessor love. But that'd probably be OPed.

I'd be against increasing the cast time on the other two DoTs (even if it meant lowering the drain in the process). Even if they were all 3-second casts, that would nerf the confessor greatly, especially in GvG combat, where the drain isn't really needed.

Brickk
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Brickk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:24 pm

maxwell wrote:

Fair 'nuff.

Hey, I'd like for the drain to be ~2 seconds, because I have fessor love. But that'd probably be OPed.

I'd be against increasing the cast time on the other two DoTs (even if it meant lowering the drain in the process). Even if they were all 3-second casts, that would nerf the confessor greatly, especially in GvG combat, where the drain isn't really needed.
All true. Things are right where they are.

Now, if the refresh on the Darksworn Drain was lowered to, say, 16 seconds. I'd be ALL for that. The reason behind using the name Powerthirst for one of my Fessors was to make him a goofy drain machine (hence the higher spirit). The DS didn't work outside of some very limited engagements so I abandoned it, but I in turn found I liked the damage throughput and ATR best on that toon. So I just refined and made him into what I'm forced to say was my best Confessor. Comparing it to my first really good one, called Rapedollars, it was terribly more effective in fights where I had less margin for error, despite the lowered hitpoint pool.

The 3 drain fessor shined best against Assassins. Live through the stun, then mount your comeback. Mind the immunity timer.
your stupid an i no it,

maxwell
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by maxwell » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Brickk wrote:
maxwell wrote:

Fair 'nuff.

All true. Things are right where they are.

Now, if the refresh on the Darksworn Drain was lowered to, say, 16 seconds. I'd be ALL for that. The reason behind using the name Powerthirst for one of my Fessors was to make him a goofy drain machine (hence the higher spirit). The DS didn't work outside of some very limited engagements so I abandoned it, but I in turn found I liked the damage throughput and ATR best on that toon. So I just refined and made him into what I'm forced to say was my best Confessor. Comparing it to my first really good one, called Rapedollars, it was terribly more effective in fights where I had less margin for error, despite the lowered hitpoint pool.

The 3 drain fessor shined best against Assassins. Live through the stun, then mount your comeback. Mind the immunity timer.
Brick: I'm not sure I'm getting the logic of the DS drain. Confessor's class drain has a 4 second case, 5 second recast and a DoT with 5/15. Why the need for a less effective discipline drain (4/30) that doesn't unlock a DoT and works off a different focus line that you probably wouldn't train as high as Thaum?

I'm probably missing something obvious here, or your reason for refining is because you came to the same conclusion I have. Either that, or the "goofy" idea was to open with the DrainOT, then Confessor drain, then DS drain. And yes, that's goofy given the quick casting of the poison/snare and fire DoTs.

Brickk
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Brickk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Oh, I just wanted something that could, 80% of the time, be doing Drain damage, whilst having most of the other attributes I like from Confessors. It was a crazy gimmick that I thought might just be crazy enough to work. Afterall, if you're hitting while you're healing, you're mitigating incoming damage that much better, without too much dropoff in dps.

Your DD can be done every 8 seconds, but it has a 4 second cast timer. So you can cast it, then the DDoT, then the Drain again, then the DS Drain, then another drain. You can space the other 2 dots in there anywhere you like, or when the snare is useful.

It's a gimmick, but it's a fun one. I rather liked wearing down those "I NEVER WANT TO DIE" Crusaders with it. If the recast on DS were changed, I'd play with it again. Not to say it would replace my standard issue Confessor, that'd be a stretch.

And yes, it was refined (rather than thrown away), because while the Darksworn was basically useless, the stat layout I used because of it was more to my liking (resulting, eventually in the 100/160/95 C/I/S). My Confessors before it were 135/160/remainder types seen in abundance. I went with the lower con expecting better mitigation, which the 2 drains certianly are, but not so much the DS. So there's a method to the lower con higher spi madness.

At any rate, I am and always will be all about the "BIG NUMBERS," when it comes to damage, while having just enough to stay alive. Adding stats to gear makes for bigger numbers, but dead confessors do no damage. Powerthirst was my personal final conclusion to the balance of hitting big, and getting away with it, while adding some useful spells and skill to ply for an advantage.
your stupid an i no it,

Pyetrek
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Pyetrek » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 am

Pyetrek wrote:
unfringed wrote:obviously a root, wait for break, sprint away for 10 secs, and purg situation.

Would never think of defying the sprint..... Learn something new everyday.
Brickk wrote:If you play Confessors alot, but then play something something else, you always note what's at or near the front of the effects window for each class. I suppose Templar players could say the same.
So I don't know what sprint you guys were talking about, but regular sprint stacks on the right and so does snare immunity. I don't see you stripping a mino that fast to be able to dispel that shit.

Ragnir
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Ragnir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Honestly Ive played alot of fessors and temps without defy/sway, the classes have so much going for them that its not really needed as much as people think, though its alot handier on a fessor (or 'squishy' human temp) than anything,

NicoMendelev
10v10 Champion
10v10 Champion

Post by NicoMendelev » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:54 pm

If you are going to be in a situation where you're against a high def enemy and don't have multiple def cutters, you will wish you had Defy the Witch. It's the only way to defeat a good deflar, def scout, thief, what have you. Also, if you get rooted, you'll have to cast something damaging to remove it. Better to be able to do that to others, than have it done to you. Also, many snares are on the far left. Staying snared keeps you from doing the ol' DoT and Kite combo.

thetatrick
Snobo
Snobo

Post by thetatrick » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 pm

fessor > all

h338154
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by h338154 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 pm

the first beta, the one that lasted a bit? I rolled a Fessy first. I never considered using the Sword until I found myself running solo and only really casting, and I figured with there being a class Sword based in a Thaum mastery I believe, You could throw trains just enough into sword to unlock the class sword. I believe i took points out of spr and moved them into str which didnt help much (accept with being able to carry a tiny bit more) and having low stam it served mostly to proc while allowing me some weapon powers. Atr got a solid boost as well. I also trained block to get to 100% though I would have settled for a lower % shield if I could have found one with the +3 passive d.

When I first played them the whole idea of when to shoot of the invul illuded me. Usually I'd go for it right away...but I found that it came in handy once especially when I ran oos. Used the invul and managed to get back on my feet and let the ranger run oss while I dotd and nuked him. I've always wanted to put points into the nuke, maybe even gm it, but in reality even one point will get the job done.

How long would the immune last at gm? In a group setting could you be healed by someone else without the invul breaking? If the invul lasted a significant amount of time I wonder if it would be worth jm'in at least to give yourself a chance to catch up mid battle

goodman
Snobo
Snobo

Post by goodman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:03 am

Fortress of Faith
Duration: :10 to :20 seconds (at power ranks 0 to 40)
Konik | Clint Eastwood

Braxis
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Braxis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 am

So what can you, or can you not do during the fessor invuln? I mean, can is pop a potion or just sit down? How does this really work?

ConspiracyTheorist
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by ConspiracyTheorist » Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Braxis wrote:So what can you, or can you not do during the fessor invuln? I mean, can is pop a potion or just sit down? How does this really work?
It's the same as a bard invuln if I am not mistaken. Honestly, I have 1 point in it, and I hate it. :(

h338154
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by h338154 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:42 pm

I remember just sitting.... I think basically anything else breaks it if you cast/activate it but Im still not sure if you would be able to yourself receive heals in a group setting

Mantis
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Mantis » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:03 am

IIRC HoT's still work while you are invuln. And DoTs will still hurt you. It's been like 5 years though, so I'm not certain.

Return to “Druid, Keeper of the Balance”