Looking For Spear/DoT Huntress

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Looking For Spear/DoT Huntress

Post by Blackwine » Sat May 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Wanting to build a huntress to probably main on; does anyone have some decent templates/builds for spear dot huntresses? If not, where should I focus in terms of stats? I would prefer to do decent damage all around instead of being a one trick pony. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I definitely want to be aracoix, and some form of regen would be ideal.

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Re: Looking For Spear/DoT Huntress

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 12:58 pm

well if you wanted to do hybrid damage youd have to drop points into int and dex to at least 100 (im assuming the spear is dex based?) but if you wanted to go hr too youd have to bring con over 100 as well..you would be trying to be a 3 trick pony at this point and i dont see that working well. id either commit to being all hr and int or all hr and dex (go either cloth or bring ma to 100 and wear all resist) or to be a hybrid like you said bring int and dex up a decent amount and forgo the hr rings for either int or dex rings, go la and high def. im not sure you can get good hr, dex, and int at the same time. youll have to choose between 2 of those. i can work out the stats better on the calc if you want to commit to trying one

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Blackwine » Sat May 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Lol yeah, I'm kind of asking for a lot aren't I... I'm working on Pyetrek's calc right now, messing around with stats and everything to see what I can work with. Spear is str and not dex btw, so that's yet another problem. If I forgo raising str (and thus dropping spear max damage), would more int/con help to boost dot damage and let me focus on hr? Would this work? (this is my first posted template, please be easy on me D:)

-------The Basics---------

Race: Aracoix
Class: Rogue
Profession: Huntress

------Applied Runes-------

Tough as Nails
Hunter
Hearty
Constitution of the Gods
Heroic Intelligence
Savant
Gladiator
Wyrmslayer

----------Stats-----------

Strength: 45/115
Dexterity: 55/120
Constitution: 150/150
Intelligence: 115/115
Spirit: 47/85

----------Skills----------

Spear 137% (51 trains)
Wear Armor, Medium 100% (64 trains)
Way of the Gaana 115% (79 trains)
Parry 136% (90 trains)
Spear Mastery 70% (34 trains)

----------Powers----------

Amazon's Endurance 40 (Grand Master)
Grace of the Panther 1 (Untrained)
Vashteera's Blessing 40 (Grand Master)
Call the Sky's Fury 40 (Grand Master)
Phaedra's Fury 40 (Grand Master)
Embrace of the Overmind 1 (Untrained)
Strength of the Many 20 (Journeyman)
The Stare 20 (Journeyman)
Litany of Serenity 20 (Journeyman)
Hide 18 (Journeyman)
Sneak 40 (Grand Master)
Last edited by Blackwine on Sat May 31, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 2:12 pm

yeah i was afraid the spear would be dex. Looks pretty decent actually but a few changes could be made. first id drop precise and take a different rune at creation. huntresses generally have good atr and precise doesnt help that much. I take it sometimes but i prefer clever for the little bit extra int.

next, id drop parry down to ~90 trains at least, maybe 70. put at least 25 of those into spear. you want good atr on that weather you take precise or not.

Drop Skyfire ward unless you plan on fighting alot of huntresses. put those points into Vashteera's Blessing.

the stare you kindof train to your own flavor. it works fine at 1 train, works fine at 20. i put 10 in, sometimes one. you just have to decide what you feel is best for you. it doesnt make or break the build

Embrace of the overmind: put one point into this

Litany of serenity: if you plan on nuking youll want to jm this as i believe it stacks with the conc's mana recovery buff. mana is tight if youre nuking on a huntress which with 125 int you will be.

other than that it looks good! I prefer Rogues personally but this should work fine and it should be pretty easy for someone new to the game to learn. im sure i missed something here so i hope someone comes and finds my mistakes!

edit: oh, as for gear you trained medium armor so youd go full resist ma most likely. you cant wear a cloth hood on an aracoix. the robe is an option if you want to go full HR but id only do that if you went HG. i prefer the resist. but for jewels youll take either 24 con/hr rings or 12 con/12 int/hr rings (if those are rollable im not sure atm but i think they are). youll also want to get gladiator for treat wounds which adds 100% hr for a certain amount of time and it removes bleeds

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Blackwine » Sat May 31, 2014 2:32 pm

Precise: I had this originally as Lucky, but seeing as I wasn't going to focus on def at all, I did a quick and dirty edit and changed it. Would Hunter work better?

Parry: So many excess points, I didn't know what to do with it. I'll do as you suggested though and move a lot of those points into spear.

Skyfire Ward: Didn't even think about it that way. Makes more sense, though... who would use lightning against a huntress?

The Stare: I originally planned to put it at 1 to ground flyers, but I had excess and was generous to it.

Embrace: Oh! I thought it gave sr, not actual stamina. Definitely putting a point there, thank you.

Litany of Serenity: I would prefer to stay away from nuking like the plague. With SBEmu's lag, pretty much any consistent spellcasting just pisses me off.

Gear: Seems good to me. I definitely want to use robe w/ full hr, if not just as personal flavor. 24 con/hr seems to be what I'll go with, as I don't like nuking.

Starter Class: I went with fighter because it mentioned something about getting more bonuses to the dot style. Looking at stances and stats though, rogue looks better and I'll rework that into temp as well.

EDIT: I changed the temp post to reflect these changes.

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 3:02 pm

if youre switching to rogue youll need to find the 48 points to train sneak and youll have to take black mask and find 20 points to put into backstab. ill roll up a temp similar to yours with those and post it. also youll move your points in parry to dodge as a rogue. which is good because dodge is much better than parry

edit: oh youll want to take wyrmslayer on a spear character. it gives another dot you can use

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Blackwine » Sat May 31, 2014 3:07 pm

flyredguy wrote:if youre switching to rogue youll need to find the 48 points to train sneak and youll have to take black mask and find 20 points to put into backstab. ill roll up a temp similar to yours with those and post it
Could drop some of those spear points, a couple from The Stare, and even drop parry some more too if I need to, but quite frankly I definitely don't want to use sneak or backstab. Not a big fan of stealth in general. Maybe sneak for making a grand entrance, but I'd NEVER use backstab. Never ever never.

EDIT: Temp post edited again to show spear, hide, and sneak changes. Should I move points into spear from parry, or is the passive defense more useful?

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Blackwine wrote:
flyredguy wrote:if youre switching to rogue youll need to find the 48 points to train sneak and youll have to take black mask and find 20 points to put into backstab. ill roll up a temp similar to yours with those and post it
Could drop some of those spear points, a couple from The Stare, and even drop parry some more too if I need to, but quite frankly I definitely don't want to use sneak or backstab. Not a big fan of stealth in general. Maybe sneak for making a grand entrance, but I'd NEVER use backstab. Never ever never.
if you dont want to use stealth or backstab then you definitely want to go fighter, not rogue and that template looks pretty good. the reason youd go fighter is you get fighter offensive stance which would boost your damage whereas rogue off stance just gives a small boost to weapon speed and atr. make sure to grap wyrmslayer for the extra dot. however, i would recommend rogue for this as you'd get stealth, and backstab which will grant pellegorn (damage over time taking off % of health each tick as well as negating all health recovery). id probably go half giant or centaur for fighter but if youre sold on coix for savant go for it. that template should work pretty well

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Blackwine » Sat May 31, 2014 3:27 pm

flyredguy wrote:
Blackwine wrote:
if you dont want to use stealth or backstab then you definitely want to go fighter, not rogue and that template looks pretty good. the reason youd go fighter is you get fighter offensive stance which would boost your damage whereas rogue off stance just gives a small boost to weapon speed and atr. make sure to grap wyrmslayer for the extra dot. however, i would recommend rogue for this as you'd get stealth, and backstab which will grant pellegorn (damage over time taking off % of health each tick as well as negating all health recovery). id probably go half giant or centaur for fighter but if youre sold on coix for savant go for it. that template should work pretty well
Well, these were what I was looking at as I was choosing between fighter/rogue:

Fighter-------
Rank 40 Naargal's Bite
Rank 35 Offensive Stance (huge damage bonus)
Sapper (Balefume - alternative to Pellegorn's hr debuff, though lesser)
Higher str/con

Rogue-------
Rank 40 Precise Stance (huge atr bonus, which enticed me bc i hate high def enemies)
Stealth
Higher int

I would personally prefer the fighter pros in general, but damn would it feel good to sneak around w/ a fucking spear.

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 3:38 pm

fighters still get a lvl 35 precise stance which should be plenty to hit most toons plus fighters get lvl 40 spear powers vs lvl 30 for rogue. the only bad thing about spear is lack of an def cut. only reason i usually prefer rogues. however if you can get in range the two dots (huntress and wyrmslayer) i believe are both auto hit

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Blackwine » Sat May 31, 2014 3:58 pm

Looks like the best of the relevant bonuses would be coming from fighter... ugh, either I go fighter and end up with a more viable toon, or go rogue and sacrifice viability for finesse...

I think I'll go rogue. Being as this will (hopefully) be my main in the future, I want to play something more "me". If it gets to the point of me absolutely needing more of an edge, I always have extra slots to roll another. Thanks for the help! Time to crush :3

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 4:04 pm

have fun :)

oh and i forgot about this. id recomend taking 12 con/ ganna rings. the ganna gives extra atr. and then a 12 con/ 6 all necklace

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Just a tip, the hunty spear is strength based. If you're still into a speartress for DoTs, you'll be wanting a con/int procing build. Going strength for your spear's raw damage will cripple your DoT ability. Wyrmslayer's a must, and I see you included it.
Consequentially, since your int will be high, you'll be able to nuke. And with bow scouts every square inch, even though you want to avoid it, train the lightning nuke. With your con/ganna gear you'll have a great ATR with it.
Best of luck.

Blackwine
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Blackwine » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:19 am

Steffa97 wrote:Just a tip, the hunty spear is strength based. If you're still into a speartress for DoTs, you'll be wanting a con/int procing build. Going strength for your spear's raw damage will cripple your DoT ability. Wyrmslayer's a must, and I see you included it.
Consequentially, since your int will be high, you'll be able to nuke. And with bow scouts every square inch, even though you want to avoid it, train the lightning nuke. With your con/ganna gear you'll have a great ATR with it.
Best of luck.
Yeah I mentioned the spear being str based a couple posts back. As for the bow scouts, Call the Sky's Fury (which I have GMed) is the lightning nuke you're refering to I assume? Instead of putting points into str, I did move excess into spirit for the extra mana in case things get rough. Con/int is what I'm going for, so I'll be picking up a proc on probably the huntress ice spear at some point. Just wondering though, what would the alternative to rolling a proc? If at all possible I would prefer consistent dps rather than hoping to get a couple lucky procs in...

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Blackwine wrote:
Steffa97 wrote:Just a tip, the hunty spear is strength based. If you're still into a speartress for DoTs, you'll be wanting a con/int procing build. Going strength for your spear's raw damage will cripple your DoT ability. Wyrmslayer's a must, and I see you included it.
Best of luck.
Yeah I mentioned the spear being str based a couple posts back. As for the bow scouts, Call the Sky's Fury (which I have GMed) is the lightning nuke you're refering to I assume? Instead of putting points into str, I did move excess into spirit for the extra mana in case things get rough. Con/int is what I'm going for, so I'll be picking up a proc on probably the huntress ice spear at some point. Just wondering though, what would the alternative to rolling a proc? If at all possible I would prefer consistent dps rather than hoping to get a couple lucky procs in...
Your other option is going rogue defense bow (Dex/con), you'll need an archer for optimal weapon powers like a 2 defense cuts and a ground/stun.
Or you could go str/con fighter spear. Half-giant fighters work well with this. You can still keep the robe for regen purposes.

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Blackwine wrote:
Best of luck.
Your other option is going rogue defense bow (Dex/con), you'll need an archer for optimal weapon powers like a 2 defense cuts and a ground/stun.
Or you could go str/con fighter spear. Half-giant fighters work well with this. You can still keep the robe for regen purposes.

Badmoon
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Badmoon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:00 am

If your going for a dottress, then just go dottress/nuketress.
If you want regen, aracoix isnt the best way to go. I have a human con/int bowtress and my poison and bleed dots usually do the most damage, and then I just nuke the rest, and my health regen keeps me up with little issue.
But, if your dead set on an aracoix, then I would spike con/int, wear all 5/5 resist gear, and not go high def. Your already going to be insanely point tight being a bird huntress, and to go high def on that would just make you even more point tight. Dont give yourself a ton of spirit either, its a waste. The spirit returns on a rogue/fighter are garbage. You would pellegorne, then throw up your 3 dots(poison, wyrmslayer, bleed) and that would give 4 dots, which with high int would kill pretty fast. The one issue with this toon is your only def cut is in cat form, and you cant take valkyr on a bird. So, if you want me opinion, Id make a human for the extra points and use of a valk so you dont need a def cut.
Black Crown IC

"Badmooning" - To go afk at a time of importance due to a bitchy wife or cranky children.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

im sure by parry u mean dodge of course.

if your aracoix go bow you'll find it more convenient. and you'll have to spend more points in it but, you can compensate by going 50%ma sides and cloth robe and hood. i reccomend going full nuke and wearing some int/mana robes.

try and get your mana pool to around 800 with gear.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Marksman
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Marksman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Always liked this combo.

Return to “Huntress, Champion of the Amazons”