Post by ZooksSBE » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:10 pm

.. Could have been so much more.

Dadoomsong
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Re: This class

Post by Dadoomsong » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm

im interested to know? tell on

Who says Carebears aren't tough? That much love and happiness would kill a normal person.

Thoron
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Thoron » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:33 pm

I wish pets did not suck. How cool would it be to summon up a skeleton from a dead foes grave to fight by your side!!
~Retribution~

Atlanis
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Atlanis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Thoron wrote:I wish pets did not suck. How cool would it be to summon up a skeleton from a dead foes grave to fight by your side!!
If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times. Nevertheless, I'll say it again: pets should be buffed.

Atlanis
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Atlanis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Thoron wrote:I wish pets did not suck. How cool would it be to summon up a skeleton from a dead foes grave to fight by your side!!
If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times. Nevertheless, I'll say it again: pets should be buffed. Will that magically fix/OP all classes with pet abilities? No, but it'd be a step forward.

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:26 pm

the pet thing is sad.
But... how much better could you really make a class before everybody would start using them? stealth up to someone, Gravechill, debuff and obliterate. yeah, you don't get to chain wipe buffs. Gotta wait 150 whole seconds for your class defining power to refresh. OTOH, you have the best mana management of any solo mage with the exception of mage bard (you all chuckled, didn't you?) with the Void. So you might still win a fight before gravechill is ready again... just from that.
AOE debuff for a ranged AOE nuke... doesn't suck. not overpowering...but nice. AOE ranged snare with healing resist? geez. greedy bastards!
Really, the only glaring problem is every mage needs a dot. the one bleed from dagger powers isn't really sufficient.... so you usually have to go shade for that.

Colest
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Colest » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:29 pm

ZooksQFT wrote:.. Could have been so much more.
Are you high? This class is absolutely amazing. This power is arguably the single best debuff in the game.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Adron wrote:the pet thing is sad.
But... how much better could you really make a class before everybody would start using them? stealth up to someone, Gravechill, debuff and obliterate. yeah, you don't get to chain wipe buffs. Gotta wait 150 whole seconds for your class defining power to refresh. OTOH, you have the best mana management of any solo mage with the exception of mage bard (you all chuckled, didn't you?) with the Void. So you might still win a fight before gravechill is ready again... just from that.
AOE debuff for a ranged AOE nuke... doesn't suck. not overpowering...but nice. AOE ranged snare with healing resist? geez. greedy bastards!
Really, the only glaring problem is every mage needs a dot. the one bleed from dagger powers isn't really sufficient.... so you usually have to go shade for that.
just FYI every mage in the game already gets a castable DoT including necros: "Blood boil" it's cheap to get too only 22 sorcery (which you're gonna pass to get enfeeblemnt and weakening anyways) and 1 into the skill. the only problem wih most mages is unless it's a sorcery build the ATR is going to be hideous even in precise. Necro's however have one small advantage here though with gravechill -mage debuffs - precise stance - blood boil. granted it's not a very versatile skill as it is pretty much bound to only being castable immediately after gravechill and pretty much no other time. but it's beats the hell out of trying for the dagger alternative. IMO the necro is one mage who should land the DoT almost every time.

While I'm not trying to downplay gravechill's value you must admit that it is extreemly easy to counter especially for a melee toon who can undercast a pot and still be dealing you damage. Granted a stun is going to slow the process down some but if they undercast within 2 seconds of noticing that they are gravechilled -9 second stun - 5 second cast time on the pot ? then they get 136 seconds of combat with their buffs back on before the whole process starts over. That's just not enough time for most necro builds to put them down before their buffs come back up. Necro's are not one of the top tier nukers in SB despite gravechill and a pwr dmg debuff (primarily because of their inferior Attk stance) You also need to consider that they have somewhat longer cast times on thier direct damage spells. The shortest is 3 seconds unholy terror is a 4 second cast. Compare this to a sorcery built wizzy nuker who can sling a mge bolt every 2.5 seconds or lessers with instacast. I realize that necro's cast times are not way out of line compared to other mage classes. overall they are pretty comparable but most other mage classes are far more efficient with their direct damage spells (ie:double debuffs etc.) than necro's

It's been laid out in detail before in other threads so i'll not do into it here but I think the best ultimate goal would be for them to overhaul all pets in such a fashion that pet builds become viable meaning that one must choose to invest significant points down that road precluding an uber pet / nuker necro. It can obviously be done look at the bard. It's impossible to get a melee - nuker bard that can run all of the buffs too they don't have the points for it. Pets could be done this way too.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. After all it's pretty sad that all necro's in the game can't even begin to live up to the original conception for he entire class. Worse yet their class defining role is a pathetic neutered joke. As it is they are doomed to be a subpar direct damage mage that can be made into a spec toon, novelty solo toon or a bot.

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Cryfoul wrote:
Adron wrote:the pet thing is sad.
just FYI every mage in the game already gets a castable DoT including necros: "Blood boil" it's cheap to get too only 22 sorcery (which you're gonna pass to get enfeeblemnt and weakening anyways) and 1 into the skill. the only problem wih most mages is unless it's a sorcery build the ATR is going to be hideous even in precise. Necro's however have one small advantage here though with gravechill -mage debuffs - precise stance - blood boil. granted it's not a very versatile skill as it is pretty much bound to only being castable immediately after gravechill and pretty much no other time. but it's beats the hell out of trying for the dagger alternative. IMO the necro is one mage who should land the DoT almost every time.

While I'm not trying to downplay gravechill's value you must admit that it is extreemly easy to counter especially for a melee toon who can undercast a pot and still be dealing you damage. Granted a stun is going to slow the process down some but if they undercast within 2 seconds of noticing that they are gravechilled -9 second stun - 5 second cast time on the pot ? then they get 136 seconds of combat with their buffs back on before the whole process starts over. That's just not enough time for most necro builds to put them down before their buffs come back up. Necro's are not one of the top tier nukers in SB despite gravechill and a pwr dmg debuff (primarily because of their inferior Attk stance) You also need to consider that they have somewhat longer cast times on thier direct damage spells. The shortest is 3 seconds unholy terror is a 4 second cast. Compare this to a sorcery built wizzy nuker who can sling a mge bolt every 2.5 seconds or lessers with instacast. I realize that necro's cast times are not way out of line compared to other mage classes. overall they are pretty comparable but most other mage classes are far more efficient with their direct damage spells (ie:double debuffs etc.) than necro's

It's been laid out in detail before in other threads so i'll not do into it here but I think the best ultimate goal would be for them to overhaul all pets in such a fashion that pet builds become viable meaning that one must choose to invest significant points down that road precluding an uber pet / nuker necro. It can obviously be done look at the bard. It's impossible to get a melee - nuker bard that can run all of the buffs too they don't have the points for it. Pets could be done this way too.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. After all it's pretty sad that all necro's in the game can't even begin to live up to the original conception for he entire class. Worse yet their class defining role is a pathetic neutered joke. As it is they are doomed to be a subpar direct damage mage that can be made into a spec toon, novelty solo toon or a bot.
I can't believe I read the whole thing but anyway I agree with cry
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 am

i'm totally baffled on how you think someone will conc back up.
1) if you move while conc is trying to apply, it is interrupted and lost
2) if you take damage while conc is trying to apply, it is interrupted and lost.

see my comments about necros needing dots. gravechill, dot. no conc. not now, not ever. lets say you didn't go shade, tried bloodboil and missed that thief, even w/o their buffs on them. they still can't conc up if they're a dagger thief (if...haha). so take 2 steps back every few seconds, and they will have to forego dmg to conc up.

as to dps of a necro, what the hell are you smoking? you are comparing them apparently to furies? well that means all nonfuries are worthless then. only a fury gets you to -100%. everybody else is happy to get to -50. Unholy is still a less-resisted type of dmg, mostly because nobody in their right mind takes the priest unholy buff instead of SOS. Necro unholy nuke has the same dps as wizard mystic bolt or mage bolt. unholy blast: 26-59/3.6 sec. mystic bolt: 26-59/3.6 sec. mage bolt: 16-39/2.5.

you'll have to describe what mages you use during sieges for me to have an idea if necros should be included. Personally, i love the two aoe debuffs for a feint and redirect of concentrated fire on the real target (SM incoming after the necro debuffs the group). I love gravechilling dwarf priests. makes my whole week.

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I think there were exploits that allowed you to cast conc pots when you weren't supposed to be able to.

VorgrimScout
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by VorgrimScout » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Necros are probably the most effective single class mage spec.
Pet necros are lacklustre, but that's true of ALL pet based builds, except bow/pet hunties at CN banes.
They make great open tree gankers too, if that's your cup of tea. Not much else makes someone rage more than having all their buffs stripped and getting hit for 1kish unholy blasts between being rooted and snared.

Pets need buffing across the board. Make it happen.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Adron wrote:i'm totally baffled on how you think someone will conc back up.
1) if you move while conc is trying to apply, it is interrupted and lost
2) if you take damage while conc is trying to apply, it is interrupted and lost.

I'm not trying to pick an arguement here. I've never been a big mage fan but necro's are without a doubt my personal favorie mage in game. I normally would graechill from stealth - apply both mage debuffs - stun - then the rest of my debuffs before nuking. The problem is that the stun only buys you 9 seconds + 2-3 seconds reaction time on the player to notice his buffs are gone. Like I said it's really easy to undercast a pot. Any ranged toon will also be able to deal out damage while doing it. It's not exploiting IMO and most veterans know how to do it adeptly. I think upon conception gravechill was a far more powerful tool , then pots came along. If the person is quick their pot will be back up before you have finished casting the remainder of the debuffs.

IMO furies, wizzys and channys are all capable of nuking for much higher amounts on average then necros so that makes then around the middle of the stack or average in the world of mages. But hey they have bards and doomys both beat :)

Sure shades make for great necro's. IMO the self heal is the nicest thing about shroudborn. Sure the DoT is slightly better damage wise but how are you going to get an appreciable higher amount of ATR on it compared to Blood boil ? Dump lots of points into Orthantos ? Just pointing out that non shades do have an available DoT.

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 am

shades get +35 orth on application of shroudborn, which is 245 atr before precise. quite a bit easier to hit with, and you get a few points better healing to boot if you toss in 10 2 for 1 points. far better dmg than blood boil too.

since nobody will say how you get the conc working with a dot on you, i'm going to ignore that part. new server and all that..no guarantees. screenshot or it never happened :)

Would I play shadowbane if i hated arguments? convince me.

Kidsmeal
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Kidsmeal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:26 am

I really don't think Necros are that bad off. They just are underplayed, like a variety of current SB classes. The effects bar patch changed PvP quite a bit, imo.

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Thorskyl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:29 am

Adron wrote:shades get +35 orth on application of shroudborn, which is 245 atr before precise. quite a bit easier to hit with, and you get a few points better healing to boot if you toss in 10 2 for 1 points. far better dmg than blood boil too.

since nobody will say how you get the conc working with a dot on you, i'm going to ignore that part. new server and all that..no guarantees. screenshot or it never happened :)

Taking damage once interrupts 1 potion and 1 potion only. That should be big enough a hint :)

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 pm

Thorskyl wrote:
Adron wrote:shades get +35 orth on application of shroudborn, which is 245 atr before precise. quite a bit easier to hit with, and you get a few points better healing to boot if you toss in 10 2 for 1 points. far better dmg than blood boil too.

Taking damage once interrupts 1 potion and 1 potion only. That should be big enough a hint :)
I hate saying this but TY thorskyl.

@ adron : I was wondering why you were putting so much value on necro's needing a DoT. You can see now how a veteran can pot right through any DoT in a necro's arsenal. IMO they really are only good for combating rogues sneak. If you havn't gotten it via Thorskyl's hint send me a PM and Ill describe it in detail for you. Buff strippers in general took a heavy blow witht he invention of conc pots but necro's most of all as theirs is the best buff stripper in game and the necro's offensive capabilities were balanced around it where as other buff strippers in the game just have it as an available ability but do not need to rely on it. I used to use this trick all the time on my scout when faced off against solo bards, fessors or templars all of which would DoT you before hand (templars and fessors ALWAYS) little did they know they were just wasting time and mana. With a single buff stripper it's even easier to undercast the pot -just wait until they've casted 3-4 times then do it. If you are on a ranged melee toon (like a bow scout) then you can undercast the pot while returning fire AND IT EVEN HIDES THE POT'S CASTING ANIMATION !

I hadn't realised they get a bonus to ortho. That is a nice feature. I often built vamp necro's for the gorgoi flight (and the transformation spell was a hilarious bonus that was a wonderful snare) of course shades and humans are also pretty darn good. I even did a t-dag proccing elf once which turned out suprisingly effective once i mastered undercasting while chucking the dags.

Don't feel bad about not knowing the pot trick. We all learn something new each day right? I hate to confess this but it took me years to figure this spell out: (and in my defense no one I ever asked in game knew what it did either and i am sure i asked dozens of players)

Draw Back the Shadows
"Single Target Dispel Unholy"
requires Necromancy Skill ( 29 )

Granted: Level 13
Power Rank: 40 ( Grand Master)
Focus Skill: Necromancy
Flagged As: Spell (Cancels effects which are canceled by Spellcasting).
Mana Cost: 60
Casting Time: 2 seconds
Recycle Time: 0.0 seconds
Generates Hate: High
Power User Requirements: Player must not be moving when he activates this power.
Mode Required: Either Combat or Non-Combat Mode
Requires Hit Roll: No
Target and Range: Monsters or Players (100 Units)
Can affect caster and group members.
Removes Effect:

Removes effect with "Unholy" dispel tag.

My personal hang up was well what good is that ? there is no such thing as an unholy DoT ? ? ? ? ? lol - eventually i figured it out.

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

thanks for the info on concs.
yes, the dispel unholy ensures the target doesn't have any pesky 50/60 unholy resist spells on them. I think the nightstalker protection vs unholy is still good though. not that anyone goes past 1 train in it... unless the NS is a proc bot. you can also just toss your gm holy resist buff on them, since it goes right over the top of anything and you don't use holy :)

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Adron wrote:thanks for the info on concs.
yes, the dispel unholy ensures the target doesn't have any pesky 50/60 unholy resist spells on them. I think the nightstalker protection vs unholy is still good though. not that anyone goes past 1 train in it... unless the NS is a proc bot. you can also just toss your gm holy resist buff on them, since it goes right over the top of anything and you don't use holy :)
Using "Dim the light" is a good idea. I think you are right about the NS buff also (at least according to MW- i never tested it ). At least the NS buff is self only and you won't see too many of them at a bane . still it's good to know. The only hang up i have is having to invest the 40 trains into dim the light (which I only refined situationally). The other one is granted at 40 free.

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm

the 50 holy comes in very handy on yourself as a shade...or vamp. but yeah, extremely situational. much more important in a mine/siege group situ to have bard SOS on ya. more a solo thing... all those damn UH rogue proccers...

Ward the Dark protection rune is single target. i.e. bot fodder. tested for truth. but broken at the moment...yar.

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Morduskull » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:58 am

VorgrimScout wrote:Necros are probably the most effective single class mage spec.
Pet necros are lacklustre, but that's true of ALL pet based builds, except bow/pet hunties at CN banes.
They make great open tree gankers too, if that's your cup of tea. Not much else makes someone rage more than having all their buffs stripped and getting hit for 1kish unholy blasts between being rooted and snared.

+1 :)

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

Morduskull wrote:
VorgrimScout wrote:Necros are probably the most effective single class mage spec.

+1 :)
^ :D
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Thorskyl wrote:

Apparently this isn't a big enough hint for me... I took 10 concs out, buff stripped myself, dotted myself, clicked about 9 of the 10 concs quickly....and never got my conc buffs as long as the dot ran on me. Decided I was being too frugal, bought up to 15 concs, dotted myself, stubbornly clicked on a conc every 1.5 seconds, cycling through all 15...never got the buff. Then tried clicking same conc through the dot...5 charges used..no conc buff as long as a dot was on me. Then tried mixing in other types of pots such as stam/mana/health regens. These would sometimes apply if the timing coincided with the 5 sec break in dot dmg, but sometimes not. In no cases did the conc ever apply.
So..either this server does not operate as the old...or I am missing your point.

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Thorskyl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Adron wrote:
Thorskyl wrote:

Apparently this isn't a big enough hint for me... I took 10 concs out, buff stripped myself, dotted myself, clicked about 9 of the 10 concs quickly....and never got my conc buffs as long as the dot ran on me. Decided I was being too frugal, bought up to 15 concs, dotted myself, stubbornly clicked on a conc every 1.5 seconds, cycling through all 15...never got the buff. Then tried clicking same conc through the dot...5 charges used..no conc buff as long as a dot was on me. Then tried mixing in other types of pots such as stam/mana/health regens. These would sometimes apply if the timing coincided with the 5 sec break in dot dmg, but sometimes not. In no cases did the conc ever apply.
So..either this server does not operate as the old...or I am missing your point.
That's odd, either you were doing it wrong (just assign a hotkey to it IMO) or the server is indeed operating differently. Wish I could try it out but I'm no fancy schmancy tester.

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Adron wrote:
Thorskyl wrote:

manually clicking on them will not work (and if you are only seting one off every 1.5 seconds then you must be trying to mouse click them) that's far to slow and you will simply break one pot for another and then the one running is wiped by the DoT. Instead assign hotkeys. I used to be able to fire off 4 or 5 diferent pots (stam, health, mana, greater - whatever) simultaniously and if using stam ,health or mana those pots would stack. you could quite literally go from complete 000's to a full bar by triple tapping a stam pot and sitting in about 15 seconds. Or you could tap stam,health,and mana and all three would run simultaniously. Or any combo there of. Greater concs work the same way just double tap one while dot'd to test it. This most certainly did work on live and if it doesn't any longer then it's the server.

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Cryfoul wrote:
Adron wrote:
Thorskyl wrote: Taking damage once interrupts 1 potion and 1 potion only. That should be big enough a hint :)

manually clicking on them will not work (and if you are only seting one off every 1.5 seconds then you must be trying to mouse click them) that's far to slow and you will simply break one pot for another and then the one running is wiped by the DoT. Instead assign hotkeys. I used to be able to fire off 4 or 5 diferent pots (stam, health, mana, greater - whatever) simultaniously and if using stam ,health or mana those pots would stack. you could quite literally go from complete 000's to a full bar by triple tapping a stam pot and sitting in about 15 seconds. Or you could tap stam,health,and mana and all three would run simultaniously. Or any combo there of. Greater concs work the same way just double tap one while dot'd to test it. This most certainly did work on live and if it doesn't any longer then it's the server.
I know on Murray's server you could also sit after casting conc (but before it went off) as long as you cast hp/stam/mana at the same time, and the conc would just go off and stand you back up. Not sure if this was available on Live, but it should work on the current Emu server as well.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Deathmarch wrote:
Cryfoul wrote:
Adron wrote:
I know on Murray's server you could also sit after casting conc (but before it went off) as long as you cast hp/stam/mana at the same time, and the conc would just go off and stand you back up. Not sure if this was available on Live, but it should work on the current Emu server as well.
It worked that way on live also. You could sit down, then when the greater pot went off you would auto stand while casting then when it finiished auto sit again ! :lol:

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cryfoul » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:29 am

BTW - This should also work with a recall scroll. Triple tap one and see if you can recall through a DoT. 8-)

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:22 am

Could not reproduce. followed advice and did a 'use selected item' hotkey. also put that on a macro to spam it faster than fingers... no conc, no recall through a dot. I'm sure you users and abusers will come up with a new way... :)

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Thorskyl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:53 am

Adron wrote:Could not reproduce. followed advice and did a 'use selected item' hotkey. also put that on a macro to spam it faster than fingers... no conc, no recall through a dot. I'm sure you users and abusers will come up with a new way... :)
That sucks, since both used to work.

Return to “Necromancer, Master of the Dead”