Rogue Archers

sbvera13
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Rogue Archers

Post by sbvera13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Opinion time! Cause I'm stuck. I could use some advice.

No matter how many other classes I try I just dig archers. I know they are not the deadliest around, but I enjoy the range and mobility. So far I've tried thief, ranger, and huntress, and all of them have strong downsides- the ranger is my favorite as a classic archer archetype but it's just not effective. The huntress is deadly but closer to a caster. I played scouts in the old days extensively and want something with more killing power, so I can rule them out. Strongly prefer Rogue Birds, but all things are negotiable.

So, the question in short is: What the deadliest rogue archer for solo/small scale/runehunting play?

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: Rogue Archers

Post by tooshifty » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:24 pm

maybe an xbow nightstalker all nukes, or a huntress. you could always try a rogue bird bard with a bow and pure con/int caster. the strip makes up for the low lvl powers.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Fleetness
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Fleetness » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Pinksofly does pretty well on a bird huntress. I would actually like to know the dex, con and int stat spread on that template.

Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Sek » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 pm

sbvera13 wrote:Opinion time! Cause I'm stuck. I could use some advice.

No matter how many other classes I try I just dig archers. I know they are not the deadliest around, but I enjoy the range and mobility. So far I've tried thief, ranger, and huntress, and all of them have strong downsides- the ranger is my favorite as a classic archer archetype but it's just not effective. The huntress is deadly but closer to a caster. I played scouts in the old days extensively and want something with more killing power, so I can rule them out. Strongly prefer Rogue Birds, but all things are negotiable.

So, the question in short is: What the deadliest rogue archer for solo/small scale/runehunting play?
If you want to use a bow to actually deliver damage, then yes, a ranger would be your best bet.

If not, nukestalker and nuketress are probably slightly better.

Or you can just join the crowd, roll up a bird thief flavour-of-the-decade cookie cutter Skah!.
TSCCC IC

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 am

Bow rangers would give you best straight dps with a bow. If you want something different then go with a vamp double xbow proccing thief. You'll only do about 50-80s in bow dmg but if you go oblivion proc you can hit for 600-700s and with GM powers you'll have a gm def cut, atr cut, ground, snare, bleed, attack speed debuff plus you'll still have your crippling blow, and tons of mobility.

Or if you really want to be different you can try an aelfborn rogue bow barb with valk and commy(for dmg chant). You won't hit harder then a ranger but with rage you'll have a hell of a lot more hp. GM your vengence for the pesky UA/dagger toons and pop the valk atr buff for the high def toons. You'll get a GM offensive stance for more atr and more attack speeed and wear all resist barb MA for decent resists. Pop rage and you are immune to stun and as an aelfborn you can remove snares. You only get lvl 10 powers but you'll also have around 6.5k hp. Its definately an inferior toon compared to other barbs but it could be a fun toon to play.

unfringed
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by unfringed » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 am

Barbarians can't take Archer.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:19 pm

unfringed wrote:Barbarians can't take Archer.
Wiki shows that Barbs get bow at lvl 10 just not archery, but the valk atr buff offsets the lack of archery(probably push about 1900-2k atr with valk buff). They'll lose the grounding ability but will still be able to hit most things accept the really high def toons once thier valk buff wears off.

Like I said its definately an inferior toon but could be fun to play around with.

Sek
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Sek » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:53 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:
unfringed wrote:Barbarians can't take Archer.
Wiki shows that Barbs get bow at lvl 10 just not archery, but the valk atr buff offsets the lack of archery(probably push about 1900-2k atr with valk buff). They'll lose the grounding ability but will still be able to hit most things accept the really high def toons once thier valk buff wears off.

Like I said its definately an inferior toon but could be fun to play around with.
I wouldn`t roll it until I have a few toons that are actually viable.
TSCCC IC

sbvera13
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by sbvera13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I wish barbs got good spear skills, there are so many interesting things to do with that class, but none of them are any good of course ;)

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:18 pm

sbvera13 wrote:I wish barbs got good spear skills, there are so many interesting things to do with that class, but none of them are any good of course ;)

True...but they are fun solely for the shock value of them.

I had a greataxe aracoix rogue barb with skydancer for con/dmg, runecaster for str/resist, and sabatuer for catlike. I would pop catlike and sneak up on people and jump on them with the greataxe. It wasn't amazing damage at all but was funny to see people's reactions.

Loogie
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Loogie » Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 am

If you want an interesting experiment, try a human stormlord stormspear barbarian, that's of course using the stormlord disc weapon specifically. Wear stormcalling jewels, the high trains on the human and equal stat spread will allow you to proportionally raise str, con and INT. Make sure the spear is proccing as well (and all this gear would have to be custom rolled), you can use the stormlord aoe at open trees to pop stealthers in precise. I got 2100 atr and even more when I put up approriate shrines in my old town on Mourning. Those were the days man. Fun novelty toon, you'd lose if you didn't sequence and time your strikes right but it made for great conversations in tells after you won.

Badmoon
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Badmoon » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 am

I think this guys just lookin for a good toon, not a "out of the norm" archer barbarian.
And I know Im late to this party but truth is, rangers are awesome but they only get level 30 bow powers which is retarded.
My scout has still never lost 1v1 to another bow scout. Con/int Aelfborn(or human your choice) war bow proccing scout. 4600 hp, 1300 stam, and just eats every other scout.
Black Crown IC

"Badmooning" - To go afk at a time of importance due to a Skah! wife or cranky children.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Thu May 22, 2014 10:31 am

Badmoon wrote:I think this guys just lookin for a good toon, not a "out of the norm" archer barbarian.
And I know Im late to this party but truth is, rangers are awesome but they only get level 30 bow powers which is retarded.
My scout has still never lost 1v1 to another bow scout. Con/int Aelfborn(or human your choice) war bow proccing scout. 4600 hp, 1300 stam, and just eats every other scout.
Yeah I have a con/int shade build(just cause I like shades), and a con/int human build. Both with proc war bows(one PoO, the other PoT)...both essentially the exact toon but just different accounts to be able to run a scout whenever. I put runecaster, UH, Glad on each and sab on the human(just for giggles with catlike) and I switch around on the shade with black mask for passwall and blademaster for find weakness. The build isn't for raw damage but with a peerless war bow after find weakness and hitting people nearly as fast as a dagger it helps to add some dps.

Loogie
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Loogie » Thu May 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Fighter rangers do only get those lvl 30 bow powers, but if you have a good 110 bow with appropriate pre/suffixes, you'll hit like a freight train with all the selfbuffs rangers get, and a heck of a lot more in wolf form (but I keep that in reserve as a percent heal).

I had an aracoix fighter bow ranger, my namesake toon, and he was great especially when pierce resist wasn't so highly looked after, but the problem with fighter rangers using bow will always be low stam pool. No athletics and expensive bow weap power costs mean you'll be nearly drained in a decently lengthy fight if you're not careful. Of course you get the ranger stam regen, savant if you go bird gives you a stam utility (and sometimes a life saving root). You'll find yourself ducking out of large group v group fights just to take a quick second to sit and stam up. Carry lots of pots.

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:01 am

Loogie wrote:Fighter rangers do only get those lvl 30 bow powers, but if you have a good 110 bow with appropriate pre/suffixes, you'll hit like a freight train with all the selfbuffs rangers get, and a heck of a lot more in wolf form (but I keep that in reserve as a percent heal).

I had an aracoix fighter bow ranger, my namesake toon, and he was great especially when pierce resist wasn't so highly looked after, but the problem with fighter rangers using bow will always be low stam pool. No athletics and expensive bow weap power costs mean you'll be nearly drained in a decently lengthy fight if you're not careful. Of course you get the ranger stam regen, savant if you go bird gives you a stam utility (and sometimes a life saving root). You'll find yourself ducking out of large group v group fights just to take a quick second to sit and stam up. Carry lots of pots.
Fighter Rangers get 35 bow/archery powers and they hit like a sack full of bricks. IMO go human/aelf/shade, take BM, train feint, and laugh as you can hit any toon on the server while still in O-stance.

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Fri May 30, 2014 11:31 pm

if you take wearrat and use teeth of the swarm youll be hitting even harder as i believe it stacks with the ranger damage buff (at least the wiki says so). adding up to +80% damage and off stance damage buff (although i dont know how those all affect damage together, is it a flat bonus or is it +50%, then +30% of that etc.. or is it a flat +80? im assuming the later.) add in a double expose (wearrat expose +find weakness) and youll bit tearing things apart

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am

flyredguy wrote:if you take wearrat and use teeth of the swarm youll be hitting even harder as i believe it stacks with the ranger damage buff (at least the wiki says so). adding up to +80% damage and off stance damage buff (although i dont know how those all affect damage together, is it a flat bonus or is it +50%, then +30% of that etc.. or is it a flat +80? im assuming the later.) add in a double expose (wearrat expose +find weakness) and youll bit tearing things apart

I have a rogue shade wererat ranger and with teeth of the swarm, ranger dmg buff with a PoR saphire bow I hit in the low 700s. A fighter would hit even harder then that in O stance.

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:51 pm

By that logic then fighter rangers would be smacking for low 1,000s.

flyredguy
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by flyredguy » Sat May 31, 2014 4:39 pm

mine is only hitting for ~500 tops unstyled and without teeth of the swarm up..but i also dont have a peerless of ruin bow. i have some bow with normal 150atr and +4max dmg i think. i dont know 1000 may be possible..it certainly is with styles

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Find weakness + Pierce expose + ToTS + Fighter O stance + Ranger zeal

Only downfall is iirc you have to be right on top of them to cast the expose from WR and I do know for a fact you have to be pretty close for FW as well.

Loogie
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Loogie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:15 pm

That sort of negates the idea of a ranged/bow toon then, if FW and the WR expose are so limited by range requirements.

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Loogie wrote:That sort of negates the idea of a ranged/bow toon then, if FW and the WR expose are so limited by range requirements.
Fighter Rangers are still hitting for insane amounts with O-stance. Think rogue ranger with teeth of the swarm up all the time, except slightly better. And you can still go WR and have +118% damage unstyled.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Loogie wrote:That sort of negates the idea of a ranged/bow toon then, if FW and the WR expose are so limited by range requirements.

I thought casting FW in wereform breaks the form.

Return to “Nightstalker, Enemy of the Darkness”