Hybrid NS Quesiton

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Hybrid NS Quesiton

Post by ScrappyDoo » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:11 am

I typically either play a pure con/dex def stalker or a pure nukestalker. But has anyone tried an in between build. Was thinking of 140dex/con with 90-100int. Standard trains just spike LA and maybe 120-125ish in dodge.

Any thoughts on how this might play out?

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: Hybrid NS Quesiton

Post by tooshifty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 pm

def would be too low methinks for its dps and heal strength.

PS...i had a human NS with 165int/90con/rest dex that had decent def and rediculous dps. Bring back the glassy Skah!!
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Badmoon
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Badmoon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm

I mean, it could work, but the only way its going to work is going Xbow.
With UAs, you have no ATR cut. The Xbow gives you the only ATR cut. Your def will be lower than the normal defstalker, so your going to need the ATR cut to keep bros from hitting you.
And you will be stance dancing like a mother. But, it can definitely work, I just dont see it as working as well as 1 or the other.

Nightstalkers my favorite class, its incredibly fun and I could theorybane on it forever, but, if one were to go this route of a hybrid I would make sure your rocking vorg hood/chest, and 9def/NS LA arms/sleeves/boots/12dex9def gloves for maximum def.

I would also go Xbow on a hybrid so you can snare the opponent, so if need be you can get away.
I would ALSO look into going GM(40) in hide and 21 in sneak. 40 in hide for insta hide, and 21 in sneak so you can still only be revealed by Scouts. The reason for my madness here, is so that way if you do become in danger, with a lower con than the norm, you can cast your HoT, insta hide and sit down for each tick of the heal for huge heals. Dont forget to bleed/dot whoever your fighting so they cant hide as well. Make sure you have a necro bot too, Your gonna need to spam dispell debuffs for those def cuts and atr cuts. Last but not least, try to remember to use your hot at the right time. If you get stunned out of it, its GG. With UA, its easy, just PB then HoT, but with Xbow its harder. Grounding shot into a Hot works, but the timings off slightly. So take very good care in doing it.
Black Crown IC

"Badmooning" - To go afk at a time of importance due to a Skah! wife or cranky children.

Mantis
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Mantis » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 pm

I've been running with a sort of hybrid build and I like it. Something to the tune of 120 Dex, 86 Con, 140 Int. With the 150 def buff love, you can get pretty high defense that's not as dependent on stance. My NS has 1600+ def in normal and precise and 1900+ in def stance(no vorg, +8 def stuff). All that takes is Lucky, 90 trains in LA, and a GM def buff. I usually just fight in normal stance, but it's nice to have the option of switching to def or off stance if the situation calls for it.

I can't claim that it's an uber leet NS build, as I haven't played them all that much, but it's definitely viable. Here's my reasoning. There are a lot of builds out there that will not struggle with Defense. Any bow scout, huntress, thief, whatever. But there are a number that kind of do struggle, like most casters (druids, templars, notably). Even a few seconds to cast a blind, miss a spell, or whatever, can give you the edge you need to win, especially with stuns and powerblocks thrown into the mix. Also:

--Many builds will need to be in precise stance to hit you. With your damage/power damage debuff combined with the lower DPS that accompanies precise stance, it will be that much easier to outheal your opponent.
--Higher Dex means greater and more consistent DPS. Most of the points that would would have put into con are useless anyway, because you have such a strong HoT.
--Not having an atr cut is far from optimal, however, with the RiF changes, def cuts and atr cuts have been reduced to 10s durations, so they are less of a factor. If the situation calls for it, you can often get by with a clever use of stuns, pb's, and debuff removal. As I said, some classes struggle vs. high def and some cut through def easily. When you go int/con, though, you can't take advantage of builds with lowish atr or that lack debuffs.
--You can go into def stance and bail if you need to. NS's aren't thieves by any means, but I'm sure there are situations where this build could get away but other NS builds couldn't.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am

Mantis wrote:I've been running with a sort of hybrid build and I like it. Something to the tune of 120 Dex, 86 Con, 140 Int. With the 150 def buff love, you can get pretty high defense that's not as dependent on stance. My NS has 1600+ def in normal and precise and 1900+ in def stance(no vorg, +8 def stuff). All that takes is Lucky, 90 trains in LA, and a GM def buff. I usually just fight in normal stance, but it's nice to have the option of switching to def or off stance if the situation calls for it.

I can't claim that it's an uber leet NS build, as I haven't played them all that much, but it's definitely viable. Here's my reasoning. There are a lot of builds out there that will not struggle with Defense. Any bow scout, huntress, thief, whatever. But there are a number that kind of do struggle, like most casters (druids, templars, notably). Even a few seconds to cast a blind, miss a spell, or whatever, can give you the edge you need to win, especially with stuns and powerblocks thrown into the mix. Also:

--Many builds will need to be in precise stance to hit you. With your damage/power damage debuff combined with the lower DPS that accompanies precise stance, it will be that much easier to outheal your opponent.
--Higher Dex means greater and more consistent DPS. Most of the points that would would have put into con are useless anyway, because you have such a strong HoT.
--Not having an atr cut is far from optimal, however, with the RiF changes, def cuts and atr cuts have been reduced to 10s durations, so they are less of a factor. If the situation calls for it, you can often get by with a clever use of stuns, pb's, and debuff removal. As I said, some classes struggle vs. high def and some cut through def easily. When you go int/con, though, you can't take advantage of builds with lowish atr or that lack debuffs.
--You can go into def stance and bail if you need to. NS's aren't thieves by any means, but I'm sure there are situations where this build could get away but other NS builds couldn't.

Does the NS def buff stack now with the conc pots?

I have refined my stats a bit with 140dex 110con and rest in int (~120-125). Right now only lvl 40 but has 1600def with only 2 items that are +8def and the rest is the +5def gear. Int still isn't maxxed and trains aren't maxxed but with Warlord of Fire and Warlord of Truth graces the base DPS isn't to bad and the proccs aren't terrible(I would prefer oblivion or vamp procs). My nukes still need help but exorcism is only at like 110 right now and I only have 60 in int atm because I raised dex and con first.

Mantis
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes, the def buff stacks now, so def is much more viable for nightstalkers than it used to be. And with the nerf to def and atr cuts, not having an atr cut isn't so bad.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 am

Mantis wrote:Yes, the def buff stacks now, so def is much more viable for nightstalkers than it used to be. And with the nerf to def and atr cuts, not having an atr cut isn't so bad.

Haven't gotten a chance to play this toon much but I got it to lvl 55. Currently have 140dex/110con/105int in def stance with buff and in +8def NS gear with 10dex/10exo ring, 10int/10exo ring, 10dex 5all neck...I have 2170def, 1427atr, using Warlord of Slaghter and Warlord of Butcher Graces and then I proc them. Typical average damge per hit based on 25 hits vs my thief, with 32 crush resist and not using any weapon powers, is 94dmg...with a 138 high and 61 low out of the 25 landed shots. Nuke range is 109-311 and procs vary from 400-600 pending on target.

So far, the random times I've played it, I like it a lot. Decent def, GM powers, good heals, decent atr in def stance well over 2k atr in precise. When facing a UA scout that I can't get away from I just wait for the stun then pop a heal, pop evasion, go in precise and spam nukes while dishing out decent melee dps.

It doesn't pop out those nice numbers from nukes and the heals aren't as high as my nukestalker's and the procs haven't gone over 700 yet, but the melee dps is about an average of 20-30dmg more per hit and melee atr is higher so more shots are actually landed and surprisingly the procs go off a lot more.

ScrappyDoo
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by ScrappyDoo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:28 am

I am really liking this build. I surely don't nuke as hard as my nukestalker and the heals don't tick as much. However, at level 67 I have 2008def and can remove any def debuff on me almost immediately, and in def stance my nuke atr is 1437atr and melee atr is 1397atr. My procs don't hit for a ton but maybe 400-500s and my nukes are for 200-250ish my melee damage is 65-102dmg per hand. I fought a xbow clothstalker last night that was level 73 and he barely got me below 75%. I kept the def cut off me forcing him into precise stance which essentially removed his xbow dps from the fight because of the slow attack speed on an xbow and my PBs and Stuns kept him from spam nuking on me. Meanwhile I was able to just tee-off on him with melee/procs/nukes almost at will.

Its definately not the burst dmg output of a nukestalker nor the survivability of a defstalker. But in solo situations and even in small grp fights he's very effective, and very self sufficient. Unlike a true clothstalker nuker he's not a one stun and done toon cause of his def and resist.

Return to “Nightstalker, Enemy of the Darkness”