Noob tips and a decent base template

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Noob tips and a decent base template

Post by Steffa97 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Title says it all. Always wanted to roll one and have the gear to do it now. Anyone got any tips? I consider myself pretty experienced so I'm not a complete noob, I know game mechanics.

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo

Re: Noob tips and a decent base template

Post by Etalbyn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:03 pm

I could probably whip something up for ya, or at least find a suitable template to pass along, but the biggest question you'd have to answer before I do that is what race did you intend to play as? Dwarf and centaur are the most common options, dwarf having greater survivability and centaur having better kiting capabilities, though elf, human and aelfborn are valid options as well, as elves have the highest dps capabilities (albeit at the cost of the lowest survivability), humans provide some very useful bonus trains, and aelfborn are cool too, though in all honesty they seem to be the least common and other than that dispel snare racial ability I think they still have, I'm not overly familiar with their particular strengths or weaknesses. Also, I assume this prelate isn't specifically for a bane spec? It's just more of a "My First Prelate" build your looking for to try the class out, maybe for like mine fights and the like?
Prelate Advocate from 5/8/08 to 7/1/09

R.I.P. (until SBEMU Launch, when you shall be reborn!):

Etalbyn Hammerfist - Dwarf Prelate
Harkon the Immortal - Dwarf Warrior
Leetzor Uberson - Half-Giant Barbarian

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:27 pm

It's a centaur and you're correct. Just exploring the class.

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Etalbyn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:45 am

Ok. I apologize for my slow responses haha, graduating in like a week and a half so that's been a pretty time consuming endeavor... But anyway, give me a day or two and I'll whip up a basic cent prelate template.

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Thank you and I've got my own end of year things to take care of so don't feel bad.

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 pm

prelates are easy to make and play.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:47 pm

basic shit to know is

Gear
-resist prelate gear (derr)
-con/con hood, int/liturgy jewlery

starting runes
-brilliant mind
-tough as nails
-Wizards aprentice
- -5 to spir/str/dex

Stats
-160con (40 con rune)
-140int (35int rune)
-58spir

Training Points
-Aid to Injured -GM
-Prayer Mending -GM
-Mark of All father -GM
-Condemnation -GM
-Censure -GM
-Sacred healing -JM or GM
-MA -100%
-Block -130+
-Benediction -70%
-Restoration -115%+
-Liturgy -130%+

Disc
are sort of pointless for the most part

if you want more mana put on a runed of genius hood or a runed/lit ring.

all you need to do is stun, nuke, heal allies, and dot enemies. You also have a poison remove to get rid of huntress and druid dots and the like. Some people say the holy dot is garbage...but they are simpletons. -40int/-40spir and a 250dmg average tic is a game changer. They reduced its cast time so its very practical now.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Etalbyn » Fri May 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Truthfully tooshifty is right, the class is for the most part relatively straight forward unless you're trying an unorthodox build or something. I would also agree with his basic stat/skill spread, and ESPECIALLY stand by him on the importance of training "Mark of the All-Father" (the holy DoT int/spi debuff), it's just too useful to ignore.

The only major changes I would make is training Touch of Saint Wend over Aid to the Injured, (their average healing-per-second is about the same, but ToSW is faster meaning it's less likely to get interrupted), and I would definitely take some disciplines, such as Sanctifier so you can dispel DS and Traveller to help you get around easier and Recall to Runegate negates the need to ever carry scrolls of recall. As for other disciplines, most are indeed crap, but if you're going to be doing any running without full resist buffs and you have some spare points you may want to consider taking Undead Hunter, as the single target cold resist is more valuable than prelate's unholy resist buff IMO, though it's not a big deal if you choose not to take any discs beyond Sanctifier and Traveller. Oh, and although it's kind of implied, just bear in mind that in order to GM Prayer of Mending you have to take Blessed Mending to 20 (but don't train it beyond that, ToSW is vastly superior).

As for minor changes I'd make, benediction only needs to be at 69% to use summon, so that frees up one point for you haha, which I would advise putting into Invocation of Saint Nemmorane to be able to AoE mesmerize npcs (i.e. necro minions or huntress pets) for 21 secs, effectively removing them from the fight with a single insta-cast spell. Also I would only train Sacred Healing beyond 8 points if you really have the points to spare, 8 is sufficient and unlocks Benediction of Healing (group % heal) which is worth dropping at least 1 point in, or more if you can spare them. Oh, and I also typically try to drop about 7 or so points (enough for several ticks of the stamina % HoT, though feel free to put in more if you so desire) into Saint Victor's Vigor, it's a good utility spell, meat toons will love you and it's great to toss on yourself if you get stamina drained in an effort to prevent you from being able to kite. Lastly, if you can afford it try to pick up the elite healer MA gloves, which are +100 mana/+25% regen and some bonus resist stats, so they will help boost your mana pool.

As a final note, I wrote a generic "Prelate Battlefield Strategy Guide" (essentially a list of combat tips for prelates) awhile back, and while a few sections of that guide are devoted specifically to dwarf prelates and in particular a unique solo-pvp oriented dorflate build I created, most of the tips within can be applied to prelates of all races, so I'd recommend at least browsing it. The link to it is as follows: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12068&p=283892#p283892
Last edited by Etalbyn on Fri May 02, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steffa97
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Steffa97 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 pm

Thank you both for the tips. Hopefully getting a few levels this weekend while I have the chance.

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Etalbyn » Fri May 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Np, and if you have any more questions as you level, feel free to ask!

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Protonix » Thu May 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Please take Touch of St. Wend, not Aid to the Injured. Don't bother with the silly DOT, you don't want to stand around for 5 seconds casting it. Use the points for lit/block/resto. I personally would take commander over sanct/traveller but they're not bad options.

ISH 5-1

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Cryfowl » Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Protonix wrote:Please take Touch of St. Wend, not Aid to the Injured. Don't bother with the silly DOT, you don't want to stand around for 5 seconds casting it. Use the points for lit/block/resto. I personally would take commander over sanct/traveller but they're not bad options.
Just because i love to instigate this topic:

Just how many times in all of your years of Shadowbane do you think you've actually used Commy's stun break while on a prelate? 5 ? 10 maybe ? ever ? And i know how much you love that horse prelate. :D

Prelate is the first and foremost group toon I'd take Sanc on. Far more useful given the prelates group role than yet another redundant commy.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Protonix » Sat May 17, 2014 12:37 am

Truthfully I've used it quite often. I have no problem with people taking sanct; I think it can make a huge impact but it works better the more people that have it and usually they're sparingly applied in my experience.

I do love my horse but I actually played a dwarf for once this round of beta...although I haven't been able to log in for awhile now bc of computer issues and my inability to gather up the gumption to fix them.

ISH 5-1

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Mon May 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Sometimes the client misbehaves and reads 69 ben as 68. Ive found my summon randomly untrained in the past...thus as a safety measure I put ben at 70. That shit is not pleasant to realize when your bringing bros in mid fight or evaccing....and bam...summons doesnt go off...because the client untrained it.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Etalbyn » Fri May 23, 2014 5:52 pm

tooshifty wrote:Sometimes the client misbehaves and reads 69 ben as 68. Ive found my summon randomly untrained in the past...thus as a safety measure I put ben at 70. That Skah! is not pleasant to realize when your bringing bros in mid fight or evaccing....and bam...summons doesnt go off...because the client untrained it.
Lol wow, yea, that would be a nasty surprise... fair enough then.

Also, don't be swayed by Proto's lies, train the holy DoT, it's pretty freakin' awesome!

@ Proto: Haha I just don't understand how you don't like it man, especially because as a cent you're vastly more capable at kiting than my dorflate, and DoTs are pretty ideal for kiting, whittling away your foe little by little over time. I understand it's a longer casting time, but honestly man, it's only 1 second longer than Saint Lorne's Ire! Lol granted, all that being said, I doubt I'll ever sway you at this point... =P

Zergs
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Zergs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:35 pm

tooshifty wrote:prelates are easy to make and play.
qft you get to pick diff race but there's only one build for Prelates. You build it and that's the build...

jaice2004
Snobo
Snobo

Post by jaice2004 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi guys, returning prelate from live. Havent played in ages...just hit my character select screen. I kind of vaguely remember what I used to do as a prelate, and it was more off-heals with nukes. I kinda want to be a bit more self sufficient when outside of a group and am really interested if you guys can think of a melee prelate build that work nicely. I still wanna be able to support and nuke, but also be able to use melee effectively and fight with nukes +weapon. Any help is appreciated. Gonna just try out some random builds until I see if anything works =D Thanks! My in game

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Protonix wrote:Please take Touch of St. Wend, not Aid to the Injured. Don't bother with the silly DOT, you don't want to stand around for 5 seconds casting it. Use the points for lit/block/resto. I personally would take commander over sanct/traveller but they're not bad options.
ya my post was before prelate changes. I say take both touch of st wend and aid to injured to gm. Aid to injured is quite usefull and touch of st. wend will be you main single target heal.

Dot = boss. let me put it this way...if two prelates fight and the only difference is one has the dot and the other doesnt. The one with the dot will win guaranteed. Ive been fighting toons and loosing, then i hit them with the DOT and i instantly start winning.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Return to “Prelate, Keeper of the Faith”