Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Ghromdur
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Ghromdur » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Granted it is not a dwarf......


However, centaurs' base con is good and base spr is decent. Naturally you have improved speed.



Thoughts?

Ghromdur
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Ghromdur » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 pm

I should be more specific...


I am trying to determine the bast path for each of the two prelate races:

Dwarf (resist / HP buld) : sounds like CON and INT to me....

Centaur ( Kite / Mana pool / improved min DMG Buld) SPR , INT and CON.

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Cryfowl » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 am

Ghromdur wrote:I should be more specific...


I am trying to determine the bast path for each of the two prelate races:

Dwarf (resist / HP buld) : sounds like CON and INT to me....

Centaur ( Kite / Mana pool / improved min DMG Buld) SPR , INT and CON.
Unfortunately like so many other of the healer classes you can make good ones with other races but currently Dwarves are the best. Clanwarden's +15% pwr dmg buff more than makes up for lower casting numbers dwarves suffer from due to lower INT.

To answer your question concerning cents I'd probably go max INT rest into con and not worry much about SPI. SPI is fairly easy to neglect in today's version of SB. Concs alone make for more than adequate amounts of mana. IMO you are better off hitting for higher total max numbers (int build) than constant lower min numbers (spi build)

Considering the prelates role in a group - that of direct casted damage provider. I really wouldn't go with SPI builds. they are more suited for support builds such as priest or doomy.

Yes a cent's strength will be that of a kiting toon. But how important is that going to be on a casting group prelate?
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***
Image

Nehemia
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Nehemia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:22 am

Its a Protonix choice, so extremely unadvised.
Image
Come, unstoppable eraser rain.
novice bot
Societas Daemonica
http://www.soul-pk.de

BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by BazookaTooth » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 pm

I really wouldn't go with SPI builds. they are more suited for support builds such as priest or doomy.
Yes they have offensive abilities but I would still put prelates into the support slot.
Image

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Etalbyn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:34 pm

BazookaTooth wrote:
I really wouldn't go with SPI builds. they are more suited for support builds such as priest or doomy.
Yes they have offensive abilities but I would still put prelates into the support slot.
I disagree with you there. The vast majority of prelates are primarily nukers (especially in holy groups, prelates are the main source of damage), with support as a pretty well-defined secondary role. Prelates are the most offensive of all the holy casters IMO, and can easily outnuke their counterparts. Even in a rag tag group of randoms, a prelate's main focus should be nuking, only with the occasional PoM thrown out if the priest needs a hand.

Relating this to the OP, endgame I ran with about 40 base spirit, and with ideal gear, I had a little over 1100 mana, which was almost always enough except during the rare occasions when a fight lasted a ridiculously long time, or I got drained by a doomy. In the former situation, it was a small matter to run a short distance away from the immediate battle and plop down for several seconds to regen several hundred mana and get back in the fight; in the latter situation, I was thoroughly screwed until the drain ended, although I can tell you that even if I had double my base spirit, it wouldn't have made a lick of difference against a good doomy. Thus, I wouldn't worry much about spi. Get it in the 40-50 range then focus the rest of your points on maxing out int and con as high as possible.

Other than that, Cryfowl covered the main points in the dwarf vs. centaur argument: Dwarves have better overall survivability, whereas centaurs are the better kiters and have slightly better damage output (due to higher int). Personally, I prefer dwarves because the extra damage output of centaurs equates to little if you don't survive long enough to get off enough censures to down your foe, and while kiting is useful against melees who can be a real pain to deal with (particularly unstunnable minos), it has no impact whatsoever against bows/xbows and casters, and can easily be negated by roots, snares and stuns. On the other hand, extra HP benefits you no matter what you're up against.

That being said, both are completely viable options.
Image
Prelate Advocate from 5/8/08 to 7/1/09

R.I.P. (until SBEMU Launch, when you shall be reborn!):

Etalbyn Hammerfist - Dwarf Prelate
Harkon the Immortal - Dwarf Warrior
Leetzor Uberson - Half-Giant Barbarian

BazookaTooth
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by BazookaTooth » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Different playstyles is all, if I was on a healer class when I wasn't casting a damage spell I was casting Prayer of mending unless the group was taking no damage whatsoever in which case nuke,aoe,nuke.
Image

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Cryfowl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:16 pm

BazookaTooth wrote:
I really wouldn't go with SPI builds. they are more suited for support builds such as priest or doomy.
Yes they have offensive abilities but I would still put prelates into the support slot.
Perhaps i should have used better punctuation and then there wouldn' tbe this conufusion. In the sentance of "support builds" I was specifically referring to SPI builds in general and their use on doomys and priests. i do not think prelates are support toons in any aspect other than secondary supplimental...................
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***
Image

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Protonix » Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Nehemia wrote:Its a Protonix choice, so extremely unadvised.
zing :(
Image

ISH 5-1

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Protonix » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 am

I would just like to add that I dominated preview on my horse.

And Loginserver Down helped too.
Image

ISH 5-1

BeanCurd
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 933
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by BeanCurd » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Protonix wrote:I would just like to add that I dominated preview on my horse.

And Loginserver Down helped too.

I was grouped up with you for awhile that pony was pretty good.
Image

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Protonix » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:27 pm

BeanCurd wrote:
Protonix wrote:I would just like to add that I dominated preview on my horse.

And Loginserver Down helped too.

I was grouped up with you for awhile that pony was pretty good.
Thanks! Who were you on?
Image

ISH 5-1

ymazaki
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by ymazaki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 am

:o :o :o

kayethanx
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by kayethanx » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Cryfowl wrote:
Ghromdur wrote:I should be more specific...


I am trying to determine the bast path for each of the two prelate races:

Dwarf (resist / HP buld) : sounds like CON and INT to me....

Centaur ( Kite / Mana pool / improved min DMG Buld) SPR , INT and CON.
Unfortunately like so many other of the healer classes you can make good ones with other races but currently Dwarves are the best. Clanwarden's +15% pwr dmg buff more than makes up for lower casting numbers dwarves suffer from due to lower INT.
Isnt clanwarden priest only?
Image

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2197
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: New York City & Phoenix, AZ

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Moco » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:56 pm

kayethanx wrote:
Cryfowl wrote:
Ghromdur wrote:I should be more specific...


I am trying to determine the bast path for each of the two prelate races:

Dwarf (resist / HP buld) : sounds like CON and INT to me....

Centaur ( Kite / Mana pool / improved min DMG Buld) SPR , INT and CON.
Unfortunately like so many other of the healer classes you can make good ones with other races but currently Dwarves are the best. Clanwarden's +15% pwr dmg buff more than makes up for lower casting numbers dwarves suffer from due to lower INT.
Isnt clanwarden priest only?
it is indeed.
Image
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Cryfowl » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 am

kayethanx wrote:
Cryfowl wrote:
Ghromdur wrote:I should be more specific...


I am trying to determine the bast path for each of the two prelate races:

Dwarf (resist / HP buld) : sounds like CON and INT to me....

Centaur ( Kite / Mana pool / improved min DMG Buld) SPR , INT and CON.
Unfortunately like so many other of the healer classes you can make good ones with other races but currently Dwarves are the best. Clanwarden's +15% pwr dmg buff more than makes up for lower casting numbers dwarves suffer from due to lower INT.
Isnt clanwarden priest only?
Only the priest can take it however it's a group chant so any dwarf grouped with that priest gets the bonus too hence a dwarf prelate in a holy group is going to have it - negating any advantage the cent might have had due to higher INT.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***
Image

kayethanx
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by kayethanx » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 am

Are we talking only gvg? Because I use to solo with my prelate a lot. Most of the time you aren't going to have a support priest going from tree to tree with you.

Ill compromise and say dwarf is overall better in gvg but cents seem more flexible in solo because of their aptitude for kiting....not to mention the importance of stylebane.
Image

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Etalbyn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:10 pm

kayethanx wrote:Are we talking only gvg? Because I use to solo with my prelate a lot. Most of the time you aren't going to have a support priest going from tree to tree with you.

Ill compromise and say dwarf is overall better in gvg but cents seem more flexible in solo because of their aptitude for kiting....not to mention the importance of stylebane.
Well if we're talking stylebane here, then yea, dwarf DEFINATELY wins! It doesn't get much sexier than a dorflate in a sombrero or a pointy magician hat my friend... 8-)
Image
Prelate Advocate from 5/8/08 to 7/1/09

R.I.P. (until SBEMU Launch, when you shall be reborn!):

Etalbyn Hammerfist - Dwarf Prelate
Harkon the Immortal - Dwarf Warrior
Leetzor Uberson - Half-Giant Barbarian

Hugues
Icy Troll
Icy Troll
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Hugues » Wed May 01, 2013 12:42 am

Cent prelate ftw nothing beats a scout thinking hes not gonna get hit until you hit him with your dot and censure and watch him run away as fast as he can.
Image

Lumen
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Lumen » Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Am I the only one that goes human?

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Protonix » Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Yes, without a doubt.
Image

ISH 5-1

Lumen
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Lumen » Sun May 19, 2013 8:42 am

I get that dwarf gets toughness and centaurs have speed, is there another reason?

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Cryfowl » Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 pm

agiuliano8 wrote:Am I the only one that goes human?
As with all the other healer classes humans can make very good ones but not the best.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***
Image

Koryphaia
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New York City

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Koryphaia » Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 pm

agiuliano8 wrote:I get that dwarf gets toughness and centaurs have speed, is there another reason?

Both have better Survivability. and Prelate is probably the last class that could effectively use the extra human trains...

That being said: I'm a fan of any Human Healer. Higher Block and Resto make for a mean combo.

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1032
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Cryfowl » Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 pm

kayethanx wrote:Are we talking only gvg? Because I use to solo with my prelate a lot. Most of the time you aren't going to have a support priest going from tree to tree with you.

Ill compromise and say dwarf is overall better in gvg but cents seem more flexible in solo because of their aptitude for kiting....not to mention the importance of stylebane.
If you are building your prelates for solo pvp then feel free to do whatever your heart desires on that build cause you are the only solo prelate i've ever seen or heard of. And most of the time I did have a priest with us even if just tree hopping for pvp. A priest after all is almost mandatory for any group consisting of three toons or more that expects pvp.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***
Image

Koryphaia
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 am
Location: New York City

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Koryphaia » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

LOL

Any viable Solo Prelate would be my hero.

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Protonix » Mon May 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Koryphaia wrote:
agiuliano8 wrote:I get that dwarf gets toughness and centaurs have speed, is there another reason?

Both have better Survivability. and Prelate is probably the last class that could effectively use the extra human trains...

That being said: I'm a fan of any Human Healer. Higher Block and Resto make for a mean combo.
How high?
Image

ISH 5-1

Protonix
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1506
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Protonix » Mon May 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Koryphaia wrote:LOL

Any viable Solo Prelate would be my hero.
I'm proud to be your hero.
Image

ISH 5-1

Etalbyn
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Etalbyn » Fri May 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Cryfowl wrote:
kayethanx wrote:Are we talking only gvg? Because I use to solo with my prelate a lot. Most of the time you aren't going to have a support priest going from tree to tree with you.

Ill compromise and say dwarf is overall better in gvg but cents seem more flexible in solo because of their aptitude for kiting....not to mention the importance of stylebane.
If you are building your prelates for solo pvp then feel free to do whatever your heart desires on that build cause you are the only solo prelate i've ever seen or heard of. And most of the time I did have a priest with us even if just tree hopping for pvp. A priest after all is almost mandatory for any group consisting of three toons or more that expects pvp.
Haha ok, I'm gonna have to back up kaye and Proto on this one. Are solo prelates common? No. Are they the best choice of class to run with solo? No. But I would love to hear someone's argument for why they are not "viable". I'd say a solo prelate's biggest shortcoming is his lack of some form of tracking, the same curse that plagues all solo caster toons. Furthermore, I would not hesitate to say that a solo prelate is just as viable as MOST other solo casters, if not more so than some. You have nice damage output, nice heals, nice survivability, a stun, an AoE for revealing stealthers, a DoT for preventing restealthing, etc. All of these things factor in to making you a VIABLE force to be reckoned with in quite a few situations.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my prelate is death incarnate, capable of wiping entire groups and cutting a bloody swath across Aernyth, burninating all in his path. Sure, some types of toons will just steamroll you if they are of at least mediocre skill, like a mino doomy, and you can be severely negated by someone wearing heavy holy res, and a prelate can't compete with say, a regen ranger in terms of solo play. But people seem to have this ridiculous stereotype that prelates are worthless outside of a group setting, and that is quite simply not the case. If it is for you, then you're playing your prelate wrong, end of story.

Also, "solo-viable" by definition to me anyway, means 1v1. If you're running around with a heal priest, or anyone else for that matter, it then becomes "small-scale GvG" in my book, as is most tree-hopping PvP.
Image
Prelate Advocate from 5/8/08 to 7/1/09

R.I.P. (until SBEMU Launch, when you shall be reborn!):

Etalbyn Hammerfist - Dwarf Prelate
Harkon the Immortal - Dwarf Warrior
Leetzor Uberson - Half-Giant Barbarian

Omnius
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:50 pm
Location: Crusader Advocate

Re: Is Centaur a decent Prelate Choice??

Post by Omnius » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Proto had a very viable cent prelate on wrath. We had a pretty epic crusader vs prelate battle in the field while we were both out pking solo. After we both failed to kill each other, we went killing other people. A prelate is viable solo despite the lack of track and an excellent template to run around with.

Post Reply

Return to “Prelate, Keeper of the Faith”