Free's Priest Guide

Free
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Free's Priest Guide

Post by Free » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 am

Free's Guide to Playing a Priest

Before getting into the guide I should explain what this guide will accomplish and won't accomplish. This guide will give you some tips and give you some idea of how to play a priest. This guide will NOT give you a priest build nor will it give you a straight forward answer on how to successfully play a priest. These are things that you will have to learn through experience.

Shadowbane is an ever changing world and with that you need to learn to be versatile. If you think there is only one way to create any single class then you will fall behind so you need to get that mentality out of your head before going any further into this guide.

By and large there are two types of priests in respect to stat layout. There are the intelligence based priests and there are the spirit based priests. Both good in their own right and I will give an example stat layout for each.

Table of Contents:

I. Possible Races
II. Possible Traits
III. Possible Disciplines
IV. Required Skills
V. Possible Skills
VI. Possible Stat Layouts (Dwarf)
VII. Equipment
VIII. Stun Immunity/Shadowmantle removal:
IX. Tips


I. Possible Races:

Aelfborn - The Aelfborn race has the advantage of having a snare break/immunity.
Aracoix - The Aracoix is the only race that can fly which can be advantageous for certain specs.
Centaur - The Centaur has a very good constitution and is also the fastest race.
Dwarf - The Dwarf is by and large the most common because of its advantages. They are given +10 Slashing/+10 Piercing/+5 Crushing physical resistances as well as toughness. They are also given access to the clanwarden and forgemaster disciplines. Having a super high constitution is always another plus.
Elf - Lowest con, make sure to make up for that with +con traits and tough as nails
Human - Decent stats and also given +60 trains
Irekei - Were created so Irekei charters within the lore servers had access to a priest. They can punch things, doesn't really help for being priest though.

II. Possible Traits:

Born of the Gwendannen - Human sub race rune. +5 con/+10 max con. A possible option if you feel like you need more con. These runes give a 50% penalty for applying them. I wouldn't use them unless you NEED the constitution.
Born of the Irydnu - The intelligence version of the rune above. Same thing as above.
Born of the Ethyri - Spirit version of the above human sub race runes.
Brilliant Mind - +10 int/+10 max int for +12 creation cost. This trait can be useful if you need a higher intelligence or need it for access to be able to stack intelligence runes.
Clever - lesser version of Brilliant mind +5 int/+5 max int for +6 creation cost. You can only use either Brilliant mind or Clever not both.
Faith of Ages - Spirit version of Brilliant Mind.
Healthy as an Ox - Constitution version of Brilliant Mind.
Hearty - Constitution version of clever.
Priest's Acolyte - Apprentice rune. This rune should only be used if necessary to stack runes later on. It is highly inefficient as you use 13 points to gain +10 spirit.
Scion of the Dar Khelegeur - Intelligence elf sub race rune. It is much more useful to pick the con version of this.
Scion of the Gwaridorn - Constitution elf sub race rune. This rune helps to ease the pain in order to stack con runes for elves which have a very low natural low constitution.
Taint of Madness - If you are feeling like you are in need of more mana then this rune is very useful and also gives you an extra 20% mana recovery rate.
Tough as Nails - If you can find the points then you should definitely consider grabbing this rune. For ten points you gain +200 health. This is a more efficient rate then putting ten points into constitution.
Tough Hide - Tough Hide is another rune that you should always consider taking. For twelve points you gain +5 in each physical resistance. Dwarves cannot take tough hide.
True Faith - This is a +5 spirit rune.
Warlord's Page - Inefficient rune cost wise but if you feel the need for a higher constitution for your priest.
Wizard's Apprentice - Very inefficient rune for you'll be using eighteen points to get extra ten intelligence. However it is necessary for dwarf priests that want to stack runes for higher intelligence.

III. Possible Disciplines:

Clanwarden - Dwarf only. Clanwarden gives access to a grounding shot, holy resistance debuff and the biggest reason for it is the +15% power damage buff.
Commander - Commander gives access to a group stun dispel.
Darksworn - This rune allows you to do some damage I guess.
Forgemaster - Dwarf only. Forgemaster gives access to Harden Armor which gives +5 to all physical resistances that you can apply to any piece of armor.
Sanctifier - Sanctifier gives access to a percent heal + death shroud remover. This spell can only be used if you are in their group. Also cannot be taken along with commander, I recommend commander over sanctifier.
Traveler - Gives you easier access to the world.

IV. Required Skills:

The following skills I feel are required when you are playing a priest.

Skills:

Medium Armor: 100%
Block: 90 trains - possible point sink.
Theurgy: 90% - minimum theurgy required in order to get Incantation of Renunciation
Restoration: 90% - possible point sink.
Benediction: 69% - for access to summon.

Required Powers:

Tend the Wounded: 40 - One of your two main spells as a priest. It is your best single target heal.
Incantation of Renunciation: 40 - Your other main spell. It allows you to remove any single target's debuffs.
Grasp of the All-Father: 40 - A root, it allows you to stop someone in their tracks until they take damage or it is removed.
Sanction: 40 - The spell is necessary to keep yourself stun immune and can kill any target in an instant if they rely on passive defenses to stay alive.
Sacred Healing: 8 - single target %heal
Sacred Rejuvenation: 8 - single target %stamina heal
Benediction of Healing: 1 - group %heal
Benediction of Rejuvenation: 1 - group %stamina heal

V. Possible Powers:

Simeron's Song: 20 - Dwarf only, gives a +15% power damage buff.

Harden Armor: 20 - Dwarf only, gives +5 physical resistances on any piece of armor.

Divine Recovery/Prayer of Recovery - Heal over Time spells. Some people live by them, I never felt they fit my play style. You only really need one priest in the group that can use them since they don't stack. Also the first tick goes through Shadowmantle(I'd rather just remove the Shadowmantle…). You will need to raise restoration to 115% if you want to train the group HoT.

Prayer of Mending - I find it more useful spending the time it would take casting this spell using Tend the Wounded or Incantation of Renunciation. It can be useful especially up against AE specs, but as most guilds in Shadowbane target one target at a time, it makes the spell ineffective. If you do train it, you only really need to spend 19 points on it. (19 on Blessed Mending and you automatically get this).

Blessing of Health - Automatically granted at 20. If you find yourself fighting doomsayers often then it is highly useful to get your constitution back or you can keep it at 20 points which is a +40 con buff without training at all. (Keep this at the ready even you don't decide to train it so that you can rebuff yourself if you get green deathed).

Blessed Purity - Might consider training it if you find yourself getting stripped of it a lot.

Sacred Healing/Benediction of Healing - These powers are worth thinking about Grand Mastering if your guild plays in meat groups often since these spells will heal for more and can be used more often at higher levels.

Other then these skills you can sink extra points into block or restoration. Also toughness is a possible point sink if you are a dwarf.

Priests aren't hard on points, they only seem that way for people that want to train everything or think everything is necessary at any given point. You can refine your priest based on what the current situation within Shadowbane is like.

VI. Possible Stat Layouts (Dwarf)

Possible layouts include but are not limited to:

Intelligence Based Dwarf:

Creation Runes:

Wizard's Apprentice
Clever
Tough as Nails

In-game Runes:

Great Intelligence - 25
Amazing Constitution - 15

Stats at 75:

Strength: 40
Dexterity: 20
Constitution: 150
Intelligence: 110
Spirit: 88

Spirit Based Dwarf:

Creation Runes:

Taint of Madness
Tough as Nails

In-game Runes:

Legendary Constitution - 35

Stats at 75:

Strength: 40
Dexterity: 20
Constitution: 175
Intelligence: 70
Spirit: 100

VII. Equipment

Helm: Your best choice here is the elite healer helm. It gives + resistances as it is medium armor and also give +100 mana and +10 restoration.
Boots: the elite boots are nice here because they give +4.5 piercing +4 slashing windlords. This is the only way to get those type of stats on armor now.
Gloves: if you find yourself in need of mana then the elite healer gloves are useful because they will give you an extra 100 mana. However it is also useful having a +10 resistance set of gloves in your bank depending on the situation.
Pants: This gear should be +10 resistance gear so you have more control over what resistances you are wearing.
Sleeves: The same as pants.
Chest: +10 resistance gear
Rings: +45 resist rings or +30 resist + 10(12) con or +20(24) con depending on the situation you are in.
Necklace: Charmed of the Gods or Charmed of Resist.
Scepter:Resist of Gods or Resist of Resist or Atr of Gods or Atr of Resist are all viable depending on what you believe your shortcomings are going to be.
Shield: +30 resist/+3 passive defense.

VIII. Stun Immunity/Shadowmantle removal:

The most important thing you can do when playing a priest is to stay stun immune. This cannot be stressed enough, if you let your stun immune down chances are high that you will die. Getting stunned means that you will lose your passive defense which is vital in your survivability. It also means a sizable amount of your groups support composition is compromised.

Secondly, most people consider priests as healers. They are in fact most vital as debuff removers. Shadowmantle could be easily considered the anti-priest spell. Priests are also the most efficient at getting rid of this spell. Most the time shadowmantle is buried behind other debuffs like weakening, enfeeblement, etc. Have your ally that is debuffed with shadowmantle call it plus however many other debuffs are ahead of it on their effect bar. Once it is removed make sure they tell you that it is clear. This way you can start healing them as quickly as possible.

IX. Tips

1. Make your hot keys easy to reach and memorize them.
2. Make your interface nice and easy to see everything. Don't put things in the way of your field of view.
3. When you're not moving, go into walk mode.
4. Keep yourself stun immune at all times.
5. Your survivability is the key to winning a fight, if you die your group dies, don't sacrifice yourself for one person.
6. Keep yourself stun immune at ALL times.
7. Learn how your group plays and how you play and evolve your build and play style around it.
8. Repetition, the more you play a priest the more things will become natural for you.
9. Use your group window to target the people who need heals, if you want you can enlarge the window to make it easier to tell who needs heals and is also easier to click on group members names this way.
10. If your targeted, move, don't stand there and just let them attack you, run around your ally priests so that they can keep healing you, don't just run away make sure you always stay within range of heals.
11. Keep stun immune, it can be useful.
12. Refining costs 1000g per train. That makes it very cheap to entirely alter your priest. Take advantage of that and build your priest for the situation you're in.
13. Your guild should have a well defined support system/plan in place, if they don't help them develop one. Ex. Where priests are in relation to the rest of the group, how people should be calling for heals etc.
Last edited by Free on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Image

Kidsmeal
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kidsmeal » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:11 am

I like this. Good info for beginner priest players.
Image

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 am

All I'll say is that you might want to note that 115% resto is required for the group HoT, which most guilds do want trained on every priest.

adonis
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by adonis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:42 am

Deathmarch wrote:All I'll say is that you might want to note that 115% resto is required for the group HoT, which most guilds do want trained on every priest.
meh on the grp hot

Kris
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kris » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:46 am

adonis wrote:
Deathmarch wrote:All I'll say is that you might want to note that 115% resto is required for the group HoT, which most guilds do want trained on every priest.
meh on the grp hot
I agree, it is definitely not necessary on every priest.
Image

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 am

Not saying it's necessary on every priest, but generally it's one of those things that you want at least one priest in the group to have, and a new player might like being able to read this guide and know that they need an extra 25 trains into resto if they want it.

Kris
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kris » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 am

Deathmarch wrote:which most guilds do want trained on every priest.
Deathmarch wrote:Not saying it's necessary on every priest
That is in a round about way exactly what you said. :D
Image

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Kris wrote:
Deathmarch wrote:which most guilds do want trained on every priest.
Deathmarch wrote:Not saying it's necessary on every priest
That is in a round about way exactly what you said. :D
Well I'm simply saying that I'd figure that most guilds, if they don't know what priest is going to be on, would rather have most of the guild priests have the HoT so that they can assure at least one priest has it whenever they fight.

When it's a good guild, and a good priest player, obviously the player will have multiple priests for every situation, but only 49% of guilds in SB can be above average, so...

Free
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Free » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Kidsmeal wrote:I like this. Good info for beginner priest players.
Xemise wrote:Well done, Free. This is an excellent guide.
Thank you guys :D.
Deathmarch wrote:All I'll say is that you might want to note that 115% resto is required for the group HoT, which most guilds do want trained on every priest.
I edited it in.
Image

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Morduskull » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Nice write up.

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah I guess I didn't say this already, but I do really like the write-up. So quick to criticize, so slow to praise, lol.

Vivitron
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Vivitron » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Nice guide. I especially like your mention of priests as debuff removers. I think that most priests aren't casting their dispel enough.

MaGnuS
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by MaGnuS » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Vivitron wrote:Nice guide. I especially like your mention of priests as debuff removers. I think that most priests aren't casting their dispel enough.
+1
Nice guide Free and good to see something that is worth reading!!!
Image

Free
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Free » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, it did take me a little while to write it all up.
Image

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Cryfoul » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Deathmarch wrote:Not saying it's necessary on every priest, but generally it's one of those things that you want at least one priest in the group to have, and a new player might like being able to read this guide and know that they need an extra 25 trains into resto if they want it.
I for one do like to train both hoT's because the single target and group stack with each other That's not to say you should GM either of them but if you are the type of priest that single target heals more than group heals then this is definately a strong strategy.

To the OP - a good guide. my .02 on a couple of topics:

* I did notice you neglected to mention "crowd control" any where in the guide and that disappoints me as that is huge portion of a priest's role in today's shadowbane.you could begin by listing your root in the needed skills section.

*you should not underestimate the Disc sanctifier. while commy is a great and imortant rune Sanc has several useful spells and should not be overlooked. Odds are you will have at least one or two other toons in group with commy anyways (on a mino meat toon is awesome). I for one do not mind letting them have the group stun break responsibility - one less thing for me to have to do.I will keep myself immune either way. Sanc nets me an additional % heal (works with or without deathshroud) ANd the ability to heal up my guild's mine in between attack waves and throw a small siege dmg buff on the building too.
All good additions towards group utility with no loss provided someone else has a commy (in years of playing I've yet to priest for a group where not one other toon had commy)

*clanwarden's "grasp of Thurin" needs 5 trains - you can now ground any flier natural or casted. this is far more essential than taking forgemaster (which i think is a waste of trains on an actively played priest leave it for the bots) Actually I would take giant killer for the castable snare before forgemaster

*Priests can take undead hunter which gives you two usefull resists (cold - unholy)that can be situationally refined into your build if when needed

*the Bell elite shield is nice to have whenever you are going into a situation where you do not have a good idea exactly which type of resists you need.(Hz's - mines) the bonus to resoration is great . seeing your enemy showing up with necro's while you have holy resist on your shield is a bummer.
Image

Kidsmeal
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kidsmeal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am

Cryfoul wrote:That's not to say you should GM either of them but if you are the type of priest that single target heals more than group heals then this is definately a strong strategy.
I do like the double HoT but I still don't think it should be substituted or relied upon outside of TTW (this is an exception against zergs and bad guilds.) Most good guilds target one person regardless. At one point in a war where targeting was so intense and the kiting was so well played we actually had to choose two targets then quickly switch over to one. Now that was competitive PvP.
Cryfoul wrote:*you should not underestimate the Disc sanctifier. while commy is a great and imortant rune Sanc has several useful spells and should not be overlooked. Odds are you will have at least one or two other toons in group with commy anyways (on a mino meat toon is awesome). I for one do not mind letting them have the group stun break responsibility - one less thing for me to have to do.I will keep myself immune either way. Sanc nets me an additional % heal (works with or without deathshroud) ANd the ability to heal up my guild's mine in between attack waves and throw a small siege dmg buff on the building too.
All good additions towards group utility with no loss provided someone else has a commy (in years of playing I've yet to priest for a group where not one other toon had commy)
I for one would rather not lose a player to a stun rather than have to summon and sanc. Outside of an Assassin a priest is the target that should least likely be stunned, just simply due to Sanction's immunity. Having a nearly completely stun immune (now this is consider a decent player is involved) player it is vital too have a stun break. It wastes less mana from dispelling. On top of that I really don't want to to wait that long to cast a 30% (iirc) percent heal; rather send a couple TTW's there way.

Oh, and Mino, sir, cannot take commander.
Cryfoul wrote:*clanwarden's "grasp of Thurin" needs 5 trains - you can now ground any flier natural or casted. this is far more essential than taking forgemaster (which i think is a waste of trains on an actively played priest leave it for the bots) Actually I would take giant killer for the castable snare before forgemaster

*Priests can take undead hunter which gives you two usefull resists (cold - unholy)that can be situationally refined into your build if when needed

*the Bell elite shield is nice to have whenever you are going into a situation where you do not have a good idea exactly which type of resists you need.(Hz's - mines) the bonus to resoration is great . seeing your enemy showing up with necro's while you have holy resist on your shield is a bummer.
These last three are completely situational, which are used in uncommon events. As you can see by the guides first few characters this is a broad, unrestrictive, short guide. Going into playing priest mechanics is like writing a boring 20 page paper. If you play priest you soon will know the tricks and tips, especially if you are playing with decent players.

Not trying to poop on you or anything but get your priest facts straight :) I played with the masters.
Image

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

Free
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Free » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 am

Cryfoul wrote:* I did notice you neglected to mention "crowd control" any where in the guide and that disappoints me as that is huge portion of a priest's role in today's shadowbane.you could begin by listing your root in the needed skills section.
"This guide will NOT give you a priest build nor will it give you a straight forward answer on how to successfully play a priest"

I think it is important for people to be able to learn from experience and figure out how things work for them, this guide would be too long if I wrote in detail how to play the priest and honestly it would detract from the current write-up as it would overload the new players in which the guide was intended for.
Cryfoul wrote:*you should not underestimate the Disc sanctifier. while commy is a great and imortant rune Sanc has several useful spells and should not be overlooked. Odds are you will have at least one or two other toons in group with commy anyways (on a mino meat toon is awesome). I for one do not mind letting them have the group stun break responsibility - one less thing for me to have to do.I will keep myself immune either way. Sanc nets me an additional % heal (works with or without deathshroud) ANd the ability to heal up my guild's mine in between attack waves and throw a small siege dmg buff on the building too.
All good additions towards group utility with no loss provided someone else has a commy (in years of playing I've yet to priest for a group where not one other toon had commy)
Commander is in all accounts superior to sanctifier in terms of battle strategy. Not much else to say about it, if you want to heal mines, summon a bot in I guess.
Cryfoul wrote:*clanwarden's "grasp of Thurin" needs 5 trains - you can now ground any flier natural or casted. this is far more essential than taking forgemaster (which i think is a waste of trains on an actively played priest leave it for the bots) Actually I would take giant killer for the castable snare before forgemaster
I forgot about the grasp of thurin and can no longer edit my guide.

edit: I think I should reword my opinion on forgemaster since I'm not against having forgemaster on a hone bot, I was just tired when I wrote my response. What I was trying to say is that there are six pieces of armor that can be honed and it can be bad thinking that everything has to be left to a bot. Twenty trains is not that much and the duration of a hone is 30 minutes. It can get annoying to summon a hone bot out just to hone a piece of armor. The +5 physical resists are actually much more substantial than most people think.

That isn't to say I'm against hone bots so I thought I should clarify. Neither of the dwarf disc powers are actually required as you can also make yourself a VoP bot and buff yourself with that all the time as well. When I wrote the guide I wasn't taking into account bots simply because I don't like to 5 box.
Cryfoul wrote:*Priests can take undead hunter which gives you two usefull resists (cold - unholy)that can be situationally refined into your build if when needed
This is a free slot so I would definitely say go for it, there is nothing wrong with doing this if you know that you are going to use it going into the fight.
Cryfoul wrote:*the Bell elite shield is nice to have whenever you are going into a situation where you do not have a good idea exactly which type of resists you need.(Hz's - mines) the bonus to resoration is great . seeing your enemy showing up with necro's while you have holy resist on your shield is a bummer.
The shield comes down to preference, I like to try and keep myself stacked on as much resist as possible, especially depending on the server diversity. I played on lore so I knew what type of charters were active at any given point and stacked my resists as such. If you like the Elite shield than use it but you should definitely make sure you have other shields in your bank in case you need resists.

Thank you for your 2 cents, they always help when trying to write a big guide and help the newer players to see the different opinions of other priest players.
Last edited by Free on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

Vivitron
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Vivitron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Some interesting contributions, Cryfoul, I think your right to point out that Commander has an opportunity cost.

Re: Commander, I would add that thinking of it as a group stun break is missing half the point. It is more frequently useful as an instant stun break. It helps to have it on as many characters as possible.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Cryfoul » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 am

perhaps I need to clarify my position a little.

By no means do I consider Sanctifier a superior choice to taking commy. Nor do I feel commy is unilaterally a better choice because the respective values of each Disc lie in completely different directions as well as situations. I simply wanted to point out that Sanctifier is a valuable (and perfectly viable with little strategic loss to the group) alternative for a number of reasons. I have played both builds in the past and truely do not favor one over the other. I usually have two active priests (one with each) to use situationally[in all honesty i usually build 5 or 6 maybe more].

In short the reasons I feel Sanc is useful:
-the added % heal that can be used anytime
-the ability to buff against siege damage and heal assests
-Action allowing, the ability to summon in and wash troops (extreemly valuable in large scale encounters)
-The group will most likely have multiple players with commy and thus still be able to dispell a stun if the priest does not take it however the reverse is not true. A group will seldom have a sanctifier unless the priest has it.

The fact that commy is so important because the priest is the one "unstunnable" toon in every group that can take commy is mitigated by the fact that the priest is the toon most likely to be targeted by a stun. It should never happen but sometimes we all slip up and a stun will land. with commy the priest is helpless and it's a disaster.At best you can shout for help in vent and someone will have commy but they won't be expecting to use it and you have lost valuable time. with Sanc (and my group members Knowing this) all i have to do is shout in vent and I'm back in action 1 second later because they expect to use the abilities on commy not rely on their priest for it. .

A group with one (or more) meat toon and a bard both with commy and the priest with Sanc (we ran this frequently) is just as strong strategically because the two toons with commy will seldom be close together on the battlefield and both are far lower priority stun targets than the priest so the group still has the commy abilities yet has also gained all that Sanc has to offer. With deliberate group design you can indeed substitute Sanctifier on the priest with little added risk and several valuable abilities added.

@kidsmeal
Yup on the mino my bad. Keep forgetting that one.
Image

Free
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Free » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:46 pm

Sanctifier can easily be taken by a crusader or any other healer classes whose job isn't to stay stun immune. Part of the reason Commander is better is because of the synergy between keeping yourself stun immune and being able to keeping everyone else stun immune with use of the commander rune. Simply put, I'm not discrediting Sanctifier as a rune but because of the ability to stay stun immune on priest, commander is much better overall. Sanctifier can easily gain more utility on other healer classes whose job isn't to stay stun immune.
Cryfoul wrote:mitigated by the fact that the priest is the toon most likely to be targeted by a stun.
PS: I disagree with the fact that priest is the only class likely to be targeted by a stun; that is unless you are in a Minotaur group in which case only the priests will have access to commander anyways. There are plenty of targets that are likely to be stunned. Any squishy target, namely mages and rogues are very likely to be targeted quickly by a stun, anything that uses passive defense to survive will be targeted by a stun and the list goes on. I do understand that you said most likely to be targeted but the way you argue the case afterwards is as if it is the only class targeted by a stun.
Image

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Thorskyl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:00 am

Cryfoul wrote:mitigated by the fact that the priest is the toon most likely to be targeted by a stun.
You must have fought great guilds.
Image

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

VorgrimScout
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by VorgrimScout » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:32 am

Stuns have player caps. I think optimally you would have your priest with Sanc and everyone else that can take commy, does.
Image

Free
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Free » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:19 am

I mean, I have already argued my opinion more times than I should have for a guide in which I stated that there isn't one correct way to build a priest. In my experience, commander is better, I have been more successful with it over the past three or four years that I have played a priest. That said if something works for you, use it. I am not here to change your opinion, just to help the people who have never played a priest to get some idea of how to build and play one.
Image

Kris
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:30 am

Cryfoul wrote:I have played both builds in the past and truely do not favor one over the other. I usually have two active priests (one with each) to use situationally[in all honesty i usually build 5 or 6 maybe more].
I don't understand why people make so many priests, I made two throughout the Saedron, one human and one centaur(I only made a centaur because you can't have a human in a centaur charter).
Cryfoul wrote:In short the reasons I feel Sanc is useful:
-the added % heal that can be used anytime
-the ability to buff against siege damage and heal assests
-Action allowing, the ability to summon in and wash troops (extreemly valuable in large scale encounters)
-The group will most likely have multiple players with commy and thus still be able to dispell a stun if the priest does not take it however the reverse is not true. A group will seldom have a sanctifier unless the priest has it.
1. That is one nice utility to sanc.
2. I actually like commanders siege utility better simply because I don't like to spend my money on siege wands constantly.
3. compared to losing allies in the first place because of a stun, I don't think it makes up for it.
4a. You want to make sure your group has zero downtime due to a stun, you want people to be able to pretty much spam a dispel stun whenever possible like Vivitron said. Not to mention Incantation costs more mana and most importantly costs valuable time in keeping the target alive since you have to actually find the target instead of just clicking the dispel stun. Also other people get sidetracked killing and whatever else their job entails, your specific job is in keeping others alive, make it as easy as possible on yourself.
4b. Maybe if all you play are meat specs but there are plenty of people who bring crusaders for sac or other healer classes out there that are also capable of taking and using sanc, let them do it if they want to.

On a side note, there is a reason why A LOT of people take commander on most classes they play, its because it is THAT useful.
Image

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Cryfoul » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Kris wrote:
Cryfoul wrote:I have played both builds in the past and truely do not favor one over the other. I usually have two active priests (one with each) to use situationally[in all honesty i usually build 5 or 6 maybe more].
I don't understand why people make so many priests, I made two throughout the Saedron, one human and one centaur(I only made a centaur because you can't have a human in a centaur charter).
Cryfoul wrote:In short the reasons I feel Sanc is useful:
-the added % heal that can be used anytime
-the ability to buff against siege damage and heal assests
-Action allowing, the ability to summon in and wash troops (extreemly valuable in large scale encounters)
-The group will most likely have multiple players with commy and thus still be able to dispell a stun if the priest does not take it however the reverse is not true. A group will seldom have a sanctifier unless the priest has it.
1. That is one nice utility to sanc.
2. I actually like commanders siege utility better simply because I don't like to spend my money on siege wands constantly.
3. compared to losing allies in the first place because of a stun, I don't think it makes up for it.
4a. You want to make sure your group has zero downtime due to a stun, you want people to be able to pretty much spam a dispel stun whenever possible like Vivitron said. Not to mention Incantation costs more mana and most importantly costs valuable time in keeping the target alive since you have to actually find the target instead of just clicking the dispel stun. Also other people get sidetracked killing and whatever else their job entails, your specific job is in keeping others alive, make it as easy as possible on yourself.
4b. Maybe if all you play are meat specs but there are plenty of people who bring crusaders for sac or other healer classes out there that are also capable of taking and using sanc, let them do it if they want to.

[/quote]
who knew I would stir up such emotion lol :)

I build multiple priests for a couple of reasons. I will build one for small scale Gvg and an entirely different one for large scale warfare. the priest I want for a zergfest (constructed more towards group heals)is in no ways built/played the same as the one I want to take out to HZ with a couple of friends (single target healer all the way) Of course I personally like human priests so I'llprobably roll up two of those as well as dwarf just cause I like playing them.Add to this one or two specialty priests (aracoix for a flying spec? Irekie to counter a fire spec?) then there is always one or more novelty priests (sundancer, UH proc priest). and there is always the "what if I did it like this- hmmmmm i wonder if that would work" wacky builds just like every other toon lol

3- there is no "choice of" here. the group is not going without commy it's just not the priests who's sporting it.
4a. again, the priest isn't taking off the stuns - no incantation required. It's just a different toon in group sporting commy.
4b. certainly there are others that can take/use sanc but in all honesty unless the spec was built around them how often do you get druids / prelates / saders just tagging along ? That's why I stand by my original statement. IMO upwards of 80% of the time your priest is the only healer toon in group.
Image

Kidsmeal
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kidsmeal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

There are VERY FEW situations where sanctifier would be worth it. I'd say 90% of the time a commander is more useful. Summoning and sancing is a difficult task while in combat. I think you are underestimating the power of stuns, especially sanction. When a character is stun immune most of the time it is played then, yes, they should take a commander just due to the fact you will ALWAYS be ready to break plenty of stuns.

Commanders stun break takes down the casting time, is a group stun break, and costs 25 stam versus 100 mana. Overall it's the better rune, on a priest.

You already, admitted that commander was the more optimal rune, not exactly sure why you continue to argue different situations where sanctifier would be better.
Image

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Cryfoul » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Kidsmeal wrote:There are VERY FEW situations where sanctifier would be worth it. I'd say 90% of the time a commander is more useful. Summoning and sancing is a difficult task while in combat. I think you are underestimating the power of stuns, especially sanction. When a character is stun immune most of the time it is played then, yes, they should take a commander just due to the fact you will ALWAYS be ready to break plenty of stuns.

Commanders stun break takes down the casting time, is a group stun break, and costs 25 stam versus 100 mana. Overall it's the better rune, on a priest.

You already, admitted that commander was the more optimal rune, not exactly sure why you continue to argue different situations where sanctifier would be better.
i still don't think I am getting my message accross here.

I'm advocating that sanc is a perfectly viable alternative to taking commy on a priest IF AND ONLY IF YOUR GROUP IS STRUCTURED ACCORDINGLY By having the bard and meat toons take commy (and expecting to have to use it when necessary) and the priest with sanc your group has gained the utilities of Sanc and still retains the use of commy.The group still relies on commy for stun removal, It's just that the priest isn't the one stripping off the stuns.

I feel that the value in each lies directly with your playstyle as a priest. Commy does fit better on a single target healer while IMO Sanc is more valuable on a group healer. I use both discs and playstyles situaionally. To be honest I probably lean more towards group healing in any situation where it's 10v10 or larger. I do understand the power of stuns and again the group deals with them normally (via commy) it's just not the priest that has it.

Summon and wash are extreemly powerful abilities and should not be underestimated. generally the larger the encounter the easier it becomes. It is definately a possibility any time you are running with two priests and with practice you can even do it hot while in the stack and not duck back.

Ultimately I guess it's personal preference - if you are not comfortable relinquishing commy to the meat/bard (yes this carries some risk but it's not huge) and prefer to have it in direct control of the priest then yes you should absolutely take commy always. I'm just trying to illustrate that there is a perfectly viable alternative.
Image

Kidsmeal
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1772
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Kidsmeal » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 pm

Oh, no I understand perfectly.. It is a situational disc and commander is superior in most cases. I have said that a few times.
To be honest I probably lean more towards group healing in any situation where it's 10v10 or larger.
This shouldn't be necessary against better guilds. Most will only go on to one target, a group hot will take care of the rest of your team. Sure, in the 20 versus 50+ beginner players group heals are going to be necessary.
Image

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

etakit
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by etakit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:30 pm

What about dropping the hots and getting 115 theurgy to train empowered healing? Never mind I just read the recycle timer fuck that

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Free's Priest Guide

Post by Deathmarch » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Lol HoTs are the main source of heals for everyone who isn't a called target (we all know not everyone can get on target, and it would be really embarrassing to have a group member die to a single person without HoTs.

Post Reply

Return to “Priest, Servant of the Divine”