Melee priest.

Beula
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:06 am

Melee priest.

Post by Beula » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:21 pm

I have my own little build that I like to play as a melee priest. Yeah I know its a novelty at best but it can put out some decent damage. anyone have any builds tucked up their sleeve? not looking for specifics, just ideas.

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Morduskull » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:50 am

Irekie sd proc priest great fun but low atr.

coolstream
Snow Terror
Snow Terror
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:50 pm
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: Melee priest.

Post by coolstream » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:26 am

Elf BW proc priest...
dwarf spear priest
Image
"If I don't know what I'm doing, my enemy certainly can't anticipate my future actions!"

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Deathmarch » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah I know Irekei SD priests can work. You might even be able to get away with making a direct damage def priest due to the 50% damage buff you get.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:00 am

coolstream wrote:dwarf spear priest
I can see how this might work for a STR built mele and with the +10 to spear skill on the wyrmslayer at least their weapon powers will not be too abysmal.

I had tossed around the idea of a variation on this going with a shield/t-axe proccer or even a great axe damage build. Giant killer grants gaxe mastery. What level are dwarves axe skill at by default?
Image

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Adron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 am

there are no racial axe powers by default. the default priest powers of axe, axe mastery, and great axe are 0. the power levels given by giantkiller are also 0.
Wyrmslayer priests will have only drakes's breath for powers. all other powers = 0.
Image

Beula
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:06 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Beula » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:33 am

Never did get around to trying the spear priest. Might have to try it out sometime. Guessing you dot them, hit a few heals on yourself and try to proc? what type of atr can you get on them?

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Beula wrote:Never did get around to trying the spear priest. Might have to try it out sometime. Guessing you dot them, hit a few heals on yourself and try to proc? what type of atr can you get on them?
I never did build any offensive priest other than sundancer but this spear dwarf looks promising. I assume you could get at least decent ATR through maxing spear, building INT up to a 35 rune, and clanwarden has a +130 ATR buff spell. Should be decent atr in the end. I think I'd go with speed, ATR and a holy proc on the spear and use UH for another proc. CW also has a power dmg buff and a holy expose so the thing might actually get up to some pretty good proc numbers for damage.

I had also considered shield/t axe or great axe with giant killer. It's disappointing to find out thier weapon levels are 0 but it might still be feasable as a proccer. On great axe It'd probably be a dmg build but with crap for weapon powes I don't know if I'd be too happy with the end result.
Image

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Greataxe dwarf melee priest would do about as much unstyled damage as a rogue ranger, so there's that.

Beula
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:06 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Beula » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Cryfoul wrote:
Beula wrote:Never did get around to trying the spear priest. Might have to try it out sometime. Guessing you dot them, hit a few heals on yourself and try to proc? what type of atr can you get on them?
I never did build any offensive priest other than sundancer but this spear dwarf looks promising. I assume you could get at least decent ATR through maxing spear, building INT up to a 35 rune, and clanwarden has a +130 ATR buff spell. Should be decent atr in the end. I think I'd go with speed, ATR and a holy proc on the spear and use UH for another proc. CW also has a power dmg buff and a holy expose so the thing might actually get up to some pretty good proc numbers for damage.

I had also considered shield/t axe or great axe with giant killer. It's disappointing to find out thier weapon levels are 0 but it might still be feasable as a proccer. On great axe It'd probably be a dmg build but with crap for weapon powes I don't know if I'd be too happy with the end result.
Thats my problem, the crap weapon powers. Without an expose on a melee ranged weapon I feel as though my dps will be lackluster.
Giantkiller might be a decent option, toss on a Great axe and con debuff whoever wants a go. Would the con buff make up for no expose or 150% wep powers though? idk.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Beula wrote:
Cryfoul wrote:
Beula wrote:Never did get around to trying the spear priest. Might have to try it out sometime. Guessing you dot them, hit a few heals on yourself and try to proc? what type of atr can you get on them?
I never did build any offensive priest other than sundancer but this spear dwarf looks promising. I assume you could get at least decent ATR through maxing spear, building INT up to a 35 rune, and clanwarden has a +130 ATR buff spell. Should be decent atr in the end. I think I'd go with speed, ATR and a holy proc on the spear and use UH for another proc. CW also has a power dmg buff and a holy expose so the thing might actually get up to some pretty good proc numbers for damage.

I had also considered shield/t axe or great axe with giant killer. It's disappointing to find out thier weapon levels are 0 but it might still be feasable as a proccer. On great axe It'd probably be a dmg build but with crap for weapon powes I don't know if I'd be too happy with the end result.
Thats my problem, the crap weapon powers. Without an expose on a melee ranged weapon I feel as though my dps will be lackluster.
Giantkiller might be a decent option, toss on a Great axe and con debuff whoever wants a go. Would the con buff make up for no expose or 150% wep powers though? idk.
I think it's certainly worth trying (someday . . . *sigh*) Yes the weapon power ranks are a craptastic 0 which ultimately means your expose is going to be a whopping 1% (along with all those other debuffs we all love) almost not worth the stam cost. however . . . . It still has enough toys to make it worth trying:
* giantkiller's castable snare
* giantkiller's Con dispell power
* forgemaster nets you the hone for more dmg.
* axe weapon powers give you a 4 second powerblock
* great axe power "carnival of gore " nets you a 3 second stun. Although this is useless outsid eof the Dmg bonus cause the priest class gets you a 9 second one.
* Priest class' "holy righteousness" get's you +50% dmg (GM'd - which I'd be doing in a heartbeat.
*priest class gives you a great castable root.
* despite the fact that your debuffs will be 1% those same weapon powers still carry a fixed +% damage bonus. So they might even be worth using just for the DPS.

I think I would try for max STR/con min INT on the G-axe version and if I went with the shield/t-axe it'd be Dex/Int and a proccer.
Image

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Adron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:02 am

Cryfoul wrote:
I think it's certainly worth trying (someday . . . *sigh*) Yes the weapon power ranks are a craptastic 0 which ultimately means your expose is going to be a whopping 1% (along with all those other debuffs we all love) almost not worth the stam cost. however . . . . It still has enough toys to make it worth trying:
* giantkiller's castable snare
* giantkiller's Con dispell power
* forgemaster nets you the hone for more dmg.
* axe weapon powers give you a 4 second powerblock
* great axe power "carnival of gore " nets you a 3 second stun. Although this is useless outsid eof the Dmg bonus cause the priest class gets you a 9 second one.
* Priest class' "holy righteousness" get's you +50% dmg (GM'd - which I'd be doing in a heartbeat.
*priest class gives you a great castable root.
* despite the fact that your debuffs will be 1% those same weapon powers still carry a fixed +% damage bonus. So they might even be worth using just for the DPS.

I think I would try for max STR/con min INT on the G-axe version and if I went with the shield/t-axe it'd be Dex/Int and a proccer.
um...zero level weapon powers means no buttons. no axe weapon powers. no powerblock. no carnival of gore. nothing in powers list. nada.
Image

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Morduskull » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 am

Don't they get level 5 wp ?

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Adron wrote:
Cryfoul wrote:
I think it's certainly worth trying (someday . . . *sigh*) Yes the weapon power ranks are a craptastic 0 which ultimately means your expose is going to be a whopping 1% (along with all those other debuffs we all love) almost not worth the stam cost. however . . . . It still has enough toys to make it worth trying:
* giantkiller's castable snare
* giantkiller's Con dispell power
* forgemaster nets you the hone for more dmg.
* axe weapon powers give you a 4 second powerblock
* great axe power "carnival of gore " nets you a 3 second stun. Although this is useless outsid eof the Dmg bonus cause the priest class gets you a 9 second one.
* Priest class' "holy righteousness" get's you +50% dmg (GM'd - which I'd be doing in a heartbeat.
*priest class gives you a great castable root.
* despite the fact that your debuffs will be 1% those same weapon powers still carry a fixed +% damage bonus. So they might even be worth using just for the DPS.

I think I would try for max STR/con min INT on the G-axe version and if I went with the shield/t-axe it'd be Dex/Int and a proccer.
um...zero level weapon powers means no buttons. no axe weapon powers. no powerblock. no carnival of gore. nothing in powers list. nada.
I'd like you to double check that. Why does the MW list those weapon powers as 1% at rank 0 then if they were not usable - do not appear and do not exist? Going from memory here but i once had a spear necro and i think the weapon powers did show up and were usable just sucked ( WS might grant skill in spear though . . .). for that matter i seem to remember having the axe powers show up on my dwarf heal priests (which never trained axe and only had it because of race.). Lets look at an example:

Northman's Fury


"Weapon Power and Defense Debuff"
Requires: Axe Skill (60)

Granted: Level 1
Casting Time: 0.2 seconds
Recycle Time: 20.0 seconds
Generates Hate: Moderate
Power User Requirements: Requires Axe weapon in right hand.
Mode Required: Combat Mode Only
Requires Hit Roll: No
Target and Range: Self/No target
Stackability: Cannot be stacked with other effects of type 'WeaponMove' (0)
Duration: 10 seconds

On Next Combat Swing Apply Power:
Casting Time: 0.8 seconds
Generates Hate: No
Target and Range: Monsters or Players (10 Units) -- Can affect caster and group members
Applies Effect(s):
Duration: 8 to 15.6 seconds (at power ranks 0 to 40)
Stackability: Cannot be stacked with other effects of type 'DefenseDebuff' (0)
Defense Penalty: – 1% to 41% (from power rank 0 to 40)
Dispel Tags: Debuff, Effect


Seems to me that all I need is Axe to 60, and axe in right hand to get this one and it even has listed debuff values for power rank 0 =1% for 8 seconds

Morduskull wrote:Don't they get level 5 wp ?
I had thought this originally however Adron says no. Actually I see this on the dwarf page of MW : "Level 1: Granted Skill Axe: +10 point bonus"
and while i know that they get 10 training point bonus to axe because of it i do not know for certain if they get wp levels for it as well. WS has pretty much the same language concerning spear: "Grants Points: +10 to Spear skill " and general concensus here in this thread seems to intrepret this as granting 10 to the WP lvlvs so i simply do not know.
Image

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Adron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 pm

I doublechecked by creating one on rich's server.. not a single weapon power button appeared on my dwarf priest giantkiller axe meister, not at 100% axe, 100% great axe mastery. yes, i logged out/in to be sure. Wyrmslayer dorf at 100% spear and spear mastery had exactly 1 weapon power...drakesbreath. The listed powers in morloch wiki are not always right...heck..they're wrong at least a third of the time... but they're right about being = 0 in these cases.
Image

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Thorskyl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:27 am

I wasn't gonna say anything so these guys woulda wasted time making some awesomely terrible toons.
Image

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Morduskull » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:35 am

How about a sundancer priest ?

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Adron » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:15 pm

SD priest gets 0 unarmed, 0 unarmed mastery, and level 5 sundancer powers. lots of little stuns and powerblocks. it's actually quite nice if you can your rhythm. and if you can solve stamina issues... level 5 powers are expensive!

fyi you can get awesome atr on a sd priest if you go int/proc. doesn't mean you can hit, since you have a level 5 def debuff... but against certain foes you can dispel their atr debuff and you always have precise stance too.
Image

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Morduskull » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Adron wrote:SD priest gets 0 unarmed, 0 unarmed mastery, and level 5 sundancer powers. lots of little stuns and powerblocks. it's actually quite nice if you can your rhythm. and if you can solve stamina issues... level 5 powers are expensive!

fyi you can get awesome atr on a sd priest if you go int/proc. doesn't mean you can hit, since you have a level 5 def debuff... but against certain foes you can dispel their atr debuff and you always have precise stance too.
2 stam heals and lots of pots should do ok :)

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2197
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 pm
Location: New York City & Phoenix, AZ

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Moco » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Morduskull wrote:
Adron wrote:SD priest gets 0 unarmed, 0 unarmed mastery, and level 5 sundancer powers. lots of little stuns and powerblocks. it's actually quite nice if you can your rhythm. and if you can solve stamina issues... level 5 powers are expensive!

fyi you can get awesome atr on a sd priest if you go int/proc. doesn't mean you can hit, since you have a level 5 def debuff... but against certain foes you can dispel their atr debuff and you always have precise stance too.
2 stam heals and lots of pots should do ok :)
you would thing thw stam heals would be ok ;p stack up on those pots for sure lol
Image
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Adron wrote:I doublechecked by creating one on rich's server.. not a single weapon power button appeared on my dwarf priest giantkiller axe meister, not at 100% axe, 100% great axe mastery. yes, i logged out/in to be sure. Wyrmslayer dorf at 100% spear and spear mastery had exactly 1 weapon power...drakesbreath. The listed powers in morloch wiki are not always right...heck..they're wrong at least a third of the time... but they're right about being = 0 in these cases.
TYVM it's good to know for certain. These melee priests just became even more of a novelty toon. now i don't regre only ever having tried the SD version.
Image

Beula
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:06 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Beula » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Cryfoul wrote:
I think it's certainly worth trying (someday . . . *sigh*) Yes the weapon power ranks are a craptastic 0 which ultimately means your expose is going to be a whopping 1% (along with all those other debuffs we all love) almost not worth the stam cost. however . . . . It still has enough toys to make it worth trying:
* giantkiller's castable snare
* giantkiller's Con dispell power
* forgemaster nets you the hone for more dmg.
* axe weapon powers give you a 4 second powerblock
* great axe power "carnival of gore " nets you a 3 second stun. Although this is useless outsid eof the Dmg bonus cause the priest class gets you a 9 second one.
* Priest class' "holy righteousness" get's you +50% dmg (GM'd - which I'd be doing in a heartbeat.
*priest class gives you a great castable root.
* despite the fact that your debuffs will be 1% those same weapon powers still carry a fixed +% damage bonus. So they might even be worth using just for the DPS.

I think I would try for max STR/con min INT on the G-axe version and if I went with the shield/t-axe it'd be Dex/Int and a proccer.
Why dex/int on a shield/t-axe proccer?

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Thorskyl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:40 am

Cause he's rather terrible.
Image

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Morduskull
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Morduskull » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:15 am

Thorskyl wrote:Cause he's rather terrible.
:lol:

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Beula wrote:Why dex/int on a shield/t-axe proccer?
Because last I knew throwing weapons were dex based although it's been ages since i built one with T-axes but i had thought they were also. If not then STR it'd be. If they are Dex based then it's nice cause I'll get fairly high (for a healer toon) def. I'd go T-dags would be my first choice but I don't see how to get those on a dwarf priest. Regardless, a dwarf priest cannot dual wield so It's a shield and one T-axe. Taking the Int ladder and building INt will increase the self healfs and damage numbers on the procs.
Thorskyl wrote:Cause he's rather terrible.
Thanks for your ever constructive criticism from the sidelines. Do you even play support toons? I wouldn't think you'd troll the priest forums but yet here you are! Don't worry Thorskyl I'll remember to puts lots of Necromancy on all my jewlry just cause now I know it's one of your leet trade secrets :lol: After all we can all only try to be as good as you.
Image

VorgrimScout
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by VorgrimScout » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:37 pm

I remember some jokers messing around on SD priests. That or an elf is your best bet for anything that won't be 100% gimp since SBG, for whatever reason, decided it would be a good idea to give every class some weapon powers on both as well as removing the AM/BP restrictions.
Image

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Thorskyl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Cryfoul wrote:
Beula wrote:Why dex/int on a shield/t-axe proccer?
Because last I knew throwing weapons were dex based although it's been ages since i built one with T-axes but i had thought they were also. If not then STR it'd be. If they are Dex based then it's nice cause I'll get fairly high (for a healer toon) def. I'd go T-dags would be my first choice but I don't see how to get those on a dwarf priest. Regardless, a dwarf priest cannot dual wield so It's a shield and one T-axe. Taking the Int ladder and building INt will increase the self healfs and damage numbers on the procs.
Thorskyl wrote:Cause he's rather terrible.
Thanks for your ever constructive criticism from the sidelines. Do you even play support toons? I wouldn't think you'd troll the priest forums but yet here you are! Don't worry Thorskyl I'll remember to puts lots of Necromancy on all my jewlry just cause now I know it's one of your leet trade secrets :lol: After all we can all only try to be as good as you.
So much fail in one post. I'm looking forward to seeing your toons ingame.
Image

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Cry is actually one of the better players on these boards atm.

Cryfoul
Snobo
Snobo
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Cryfoul » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Thorskyl wrote:
Cryfoul wrote:
Beula wrote:Why dex/int on a shield/t-axe proccer?
Because last I knew throwing weapons were dex based although it's been ages since i built one with T-axes but i had thought they were also. If not then STR it'd be. If they are Dex based then it's nice cause I'll get fairly high (for a healer toon) def. I'd go T-dags would be my first choice but I don't see how to get those on a dwarf priest. Regardless, a dwarf priest cannot dual wield so It's a shield and one T-axe. Taking the Int ladder and building INt will increase the self healfs and damage numbers on the procs.
Thorskyl wrote:Cause he's rather terrible.
Thanks for your ever constructive criticism from the sidelines. Do you even play support toons? I wouldn't think you'd troll the priest forums but yet here you are! Don't worry Thorskyl I'll remember to puts lots of Necromancy on all my jewlry just cause now I know it's one of your leet trade secrets :lol: After all we can all only try to be as good as you.
So much fail in one post. I'm looking forward to seeing your toons ingame.
...because idle discussion and brainstorming on completly useless novelty toons is such a great reflection on one's playing skills. As I said we can all only hope to be as leet as you.

@ deathmarch
TYVM but i try to keep that low key lest I actually make a name for myself. TBH once they actually get the game up and running (someday , , , , i hope :roll: ) I will most likely quit posting on the forums all together.
Image

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

Re: Melee priest.

Post by Thorskyl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 am

Cryfoul wrote:...because idle discussion and brainstorming on completly useless novelty toons is such a great reflection on one's playing skills. As I said we can all only hope to be as leet as you.

@ deathmarch
TYVM but i try to keep that low key lest I actually make a name for myself. TBH once they actually get the game up and running (someday , , , , i hope :roll: ) I will most likely quit posting on the forums all together.
Don't worry, you'll quickly make a name for yourself if you make a defensive dexbased axechucking priest.
Image

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Post Reply

Return to “Priest, Servant of the Divine”