Solo and GvG sent?

Olgrim
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Solo and GvG sent?

Post by Olgrim » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 pm

I used to have a sentinel that I used go solo pvp with and GvG with. It was a pretty solid toon.... The only problem is it was so long ago I don't remember anything about it other than it was Dwarf.

I'm looking for build for a good solo/GvG sent. Should I go Human, HG, Dwarf? Played all the classes... Just don't know much about Sentinels

VorgrimScout
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Re: Solo and GvG sent?

Post by VorgrimScout » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:25 am

Sentinals make lousy soloers. Can't break roots, hit air or deal with high def particularly well. A Templar would serve you much better.

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 am

I agree in that templars are ultimate solo toons. You simply can't beat natural flight and an effect stripper coupled with fantastic dmg output.

I would not, however, turn you away from them so quickly. They can be fun and quite rewarding to play, bringing a good amount of utility to small encounters.

For solo play, I am quicker to support a half giant build over a dwarf due to stat differences and athletics being granted to HG (Also, in an F2P game you might as well have an FM bot). Solo melee sentinels invariably have stam issues. If you are going caster, I would recommend human for the trains and int. HG solo casters can be effective,

A required skill to train is always going to be your AoE snare. It can also be fun to dump a few trains into your sentsprint if you're a melee.

Perhaps if you let me know what your goal is, I could recommend something. Do you wish to be caster? melee? hybrid? high def? 2h? dual wield? hammer and shield? I have built a number of hybrids, casters, supportsents...
You can run, but you'll die tired.

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 am

Psh. GM Sentinel's Charge even on a caster. Now that it's a root break as well as stacking with sprint, it's worth the 40 trains.

Also, I kind of liked Murray's server, where AoEs were cylinders, not spheres. Top-tier sentinel bomb ftw!

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

Deathmarch wrote:Psh. GM Sentinel's Charge even on a caster. Now that it's a root break as well as stacking with sprint, it's worth the 40 trains.

Also, I kind of liked Murray's server, where AoEs were cylinders, not spheres. Top-tier sentinel bomb ftw!
lmao, they made sents charge a root break? When did that happen? I remember it originated as a sprint/deferred single target snare with a tendency to misfire, so they had made it just a sprint.... Are you positive that it breaks snares now? Because that drastically improves melee sentinel viability.

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 am

Telemakus wrote:
Deathmarch wrote:Psh. GM Sentinel's Charge even on a caster. Now that it's a root break as well as stacking with sprint, it's worth the 40 trains.

lmao, they made sents charge a root break? When did that happen? I remember it originated as a sprint/deferred single target snare with a tendency to misfire, so they had made it just a sprint.... Are you positive that it breaks snares now? Because that drastically improves melee sentinel viability.
From the 24.3 patch notes:
Sentinel's Charge changed to a Snare Break and 10 second snare immunity and Run Buff

VorgrimScout
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by VorgrimScout » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:49 am

Snares and roots aren't the same thing.

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am

I thought it was a root break. So shoot me.

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am

VorgrimScout wrote:Snares and roots aren't the same thing.
Can you guarantee me that quote from the patch notes is literal and that it does not break roots?

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:57 am

Go read it yourself if you'd like. It's on the Morlochwiki. I'm fairly certain that it doesn't break both.

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Deathmarch wrote:Go read it yourself if you'd like. It's on the Morlochwiki. I'm fairly certain that it doesn't break both.

:'(

Colest
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Colest » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Telemakus wrote:
Can you guarantee me that quote from the patch notes is literal and that it does not break roots?
I'm 110% sure it doesn't break roots. That was one of the biggest reasons why Sents never saw more GvG play.

TheWhopper
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by TheWhopper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:29 pm

My dual sent hammer int/con procure was the funnest holy toon I ever played

Thorskyl
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Thorskyl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19 pm

TheWhopper wrote:My dual sent hammer int/con procure was the funnest holy toon I ever played
Some big competition there with the notoriously boring Prelate & Crusader :D

I'd still put Nightstalker over sentinel in terms of fun to play, if that counts as a holy toon.

Unknewn: "QFT reported dozens of sotds doing illegal actions such as childish racism, all those accounts permabanned"

Xemise: "I've said this since day 1, Thorskyl is the biggest douche bag I have ever met in this game."

Kidsmeal
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Kidsmeal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Colest wrote:
Telemakus wrote:
I'm 110% sure it doesn't break roots. That was one of the biggest reasons why Sents never saw more GvG play.
Correct, I'm not even sure if the snare break aspect was working with the power.

I tried to teach people how to be kings and all they ever wanted to be was soldiers.

Revised Modern Day Utility Scout Guide

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 pm

I honestly can't say if the Snare Break worked on live. I stopped playing sentinel with the server wipe.

Return to “Sentinel, Scourge of Chaos”