Post by maxwell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Cryfowl wrote:
maxwell wrote:
Cryfowl wrote:On a solo playing PvP vamp rogue :
Strigoi= ~+25% DPS bonus
or
Summon in help.

And the debate here is?
3. Your 25% doesn't apply to the vamp drain (or, at best, it applies at a lower rate, since passive defense kicks is only 50% as effective against spells and drains). It also doesn't account for the vamp drain being a two-for-one (transfer of health vs. mere DPS). So great, the passive-defense scout dodges 25% of my attacks. It's far less likely to dodge my 600 pt. drain, which is a 1,200 pt. net DPS.

Yes Pd works at 50% (dodge only) against spells including drain however in all reality if you are solo PvPing a veteran bow scout you won't land enough drains to matter as he will stun you out of them with a quickness. You will likely be running in search of mobs to drain. This is one of the reasons I'v enever personally cared much for playing a vamp scout.
Stun you out of them with a quickness? I don't think the 1-second stun that a bow scout has is really that big of a concern, unless there is some power I'm not accounting for?

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Re: Vamp Bow Scout

Post by Vandarr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:12 pm

If you kow how to time it, you can stun the drains, using grounding shot as an interrupt.

Sig by Dubanka - winning Vandarr entry for team sig contest, October 2013.

maxwell
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by maxwell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Vandarr wrote:If you kow how to time it, you can stun the drains, using grounding shot as an interrupt.
Good point.

Cryfowl
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Cryfowl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Vandarr wrote:If you kow how to time it, you can stun the drains, using grounding shot as an interrupt.
This. Grounding shot has a baked in 1 second stun that burns the drain cast if it lands before you complete it which really sucks because your still hurting, failed to drain, your drain is now on timer, took additional damage and you stopped putting out DPS 3-5 seconds of the fight. Hense my comment about running in search of mobs to drain but thats a problem too because you better believe a veteran will force this fight AWAY from any mob camps and you will be bled and snared as well.

A stronger move playing the vamp scout is to actually use grounding shot on your opponent immediately before attempting the drain. This buys you one second and you will likely get that drain off however this trick is really only good once a fight because it's an instant telegraph the second time you try it in the same fight and you can still be stunned out your drain even when you do this because of relatively long cast time /annimation on your drain.

A sneakier way to get that drain off is to undercast (mask cast) it with auto attack. Get the rythm of your opponents attk speed and right after his attk right click on the ground in front of you to break your current attk and then in the micro second before he slings his next arrow cast your drain. If you are still in attk stance you will auto attk back (while still casting the drain) and the animation of you firing your bow will overwrite the drains cast annimation. If you do this well enough he'll never see the drain coming. BTW you can also do this with pots (good to know against buff strippers like templars) The bonus to this is obvious as you are now multitasking and putting out DPS while casting a drain. The only limitation is you cannot use any weapon power or other spell during the process or they will break your drain cast.

I never had a problem going up against vamps. They are really limited in playstyle once you know the class well.
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

Nehemia
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Nehemia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Well, mask casting the drains is pretty much a must, as any competent player will attempt to interrupt them. Same goes for Feral Fury & Forts (If there's one lovable opponent stripping them). Feral fury is more simple with that 2 second cast time of his, but Forts take 4 seconds to cast, and if fighting NS (Which one wouldn't want to fight anyways) they still have a 60 second recycle timer, which is more than your forts have, but the problem is NS will most likely attempt to interrupt the fort from being casted.
Come, unstoppable eraser rain.
novice bot
Societas Daemonica
http://www.soul-pk.de

maxwell
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by maxwell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:38 am

Cryfowl wrote:
This. Grounding shot has a baked in 1 second stun that burns the drain cast if it lands before you complete it which really sucks because your still hurting, failed to drain, your drain is now on timer, took additional damage and you stopped putting out DPS 3-5 seconds of the fight. Hense my comment about running in search of mobs to drain but thats a problem too because you better believe a veteran will force this fight AWAY from any mob camps and you will be bled and snared as well.

A stronger move playing the vamp scout is to actually use grounding shot on your opponent immediately before attempting the drain. This buys you one second and you will likely get that drain off however this trick is really only good once a fight because it's an instant telegraph the second time you try it in the same fight and you can still be stunned out your drain even when you do this because of relatively long cast time /annimation on your drain.

A sneakier way to get that drain off is to undercast (mask cast) it with auto attack. Get the rythm of your opponents attk speed and right after his attk right click on the ground in front of you to break your current attk and then in the micro second before he slings his next arrow cast your drain. If you are still in attk stance you will auto attk back (while still casting the drain) and the animation of you firing your bow will overwrite the drains cast annimation. If you do this well enough he'll never see the drain coming. BTW you can also do this with pots (good to know against buff strippers like templars) The bonus to this is obvious as you are now multitasking and putting out DPS while casting a drain. The only limitation is you cannot use any weapon power or other spell during the process or they will break your drain cast.

I never had a problem going up against vamps. They are really limited in playstyle once you know the class well.
I had been thinking about this before you answered, and figured that casting the grounding shot, at minimum, shortens the window the opponent has to interrupt the drain.

I also considered bleed followed by grounding shot followed by drain. The opponent will probably already have their finger ready for a gladiator (1 sec.) or rune caster (2 sec.) heal. It would take added awareness and a really quick decision to change up right after such a brief stun and stun back. If they heal first, they have < 1.8 sec. to prepare and execute a grounding shot. Hitting them with attack speed debuff will increase the odds of success.

The mask-cast seems a bit shady, as the animations should reflect what the character is doing. I'd support removing the 1 second stun from grounding shot, and perhaps placing it with a longer-lasting "no fly" effect (e.g., 10 seconds).

Perhaps I never played against good scouts on my vamp, or perhaps my memory is foggy, but I can't recall my drains ever being interrupted via a scout stun.

Cryfowl
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Cryfowl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:55 pm

maxwell wrote:
Cryfowl wrote:

I had been thinking about this before you answered, and figured that casting the grounding shot, at minimum, shortens the window the opponent has to interrupt the drain.

I also considered bleed followed by grounding shot followed by drain. The opponent will probably already have their finger ready for a gladiator (1 sec.) or rune caster (2 sec.) heal. It would take added awareness and a really quick decision to change up right after such a brief stun and stun back. If they heal first, they have < 1.8 sec. to prepare and execute a grounding shot. Hitting them with attack speed debuff will increase the odds of success.

The mask-cast seems a bit shady, as the animations should reflect what the character is doing. I'd support removing the 1 second stun from grounding shot, and perhaps placing it with a longer-lasting "no fly" effect (e.g., 10 seconds).

Perhaps I never played against good scouts on my vamp, or perhaps my memory is foggy, but I can't recall my drains ever being interrupted via a scout stun.
I don't know how wll the bleed would help you there. During scout fights i commonly let my opponents bleed tick 2 or more times before casting the heal (Glad only here for a bleed as RC does not stop them )so that's more of a personal play style thing. against me me it wouldn't help your causebut i have seen many players who spam that glad heal ASAP after the 1st tick so that might be more effective vs them. Easy enough to tell the idfference once the fight has begun.. The attk speed debuff is a better option although it's not going to buy you much more than .5 additional seconds. Just remember that using grounding shot alone (against a non flying opponent while on a vamp) is telegraph enough in the eyes of a veteran player.

The 1 second stun on grounding shot was incorporated precisely for what we are discussing otherwise Vamp scouts could drain with complete immunity as there are no other stuns available to scouts.

Understanding mask casting is nothing more than advanced knowledge of the game mechanics that are available to everyone. There is nothing shady about it.

Farah3
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Farah3 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 am

Which scout better aracoix or vamp

NicoMendelev
10v10 Champion
10v10 Champion

Post by NicoMendelev » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:44 am

Farah3 wrote:Which scout better aracoix or vamp
Group Support - Aracoix - Reasons - Flight for speed to catch anything in the game and snare it for your team to catch up. Extra Con and persistent damage from Sky Dancer rune. Also Rune Caster heal to preserve yourself at times and Gladiator heal to restealth.

1v1 Fight - Strigoi Vamp - Reasons - Vampire Drain, Passive Defense ignore from Strigoi, Spamming powers due to costing health instead of stamina, Fortitude, and excellent procs (especially with a Glass Bow)

Darkseid
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Darkseid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 am

NicoMendelev wrote:
Farah3 wrote:Which scout better aracoix or vamp
Group Support - Aracoix - Reasons - Flight for speed to catch anything in the game and snare it for your team to catch up. Extra Con and persistent damage from Sky Dancer rune. Also Rune Caster heal to preserve yourself at times and Gladiator heal to restealth.

1v1 Fight - Strigoi Vamp - Reasons - Vampire Drain, Passive Defense ignore from Strigoi, Spamming powers due to costing health instead of stamina, Fortitude, and excellent procs (especially with a Glass Bow)
Except if you have a good scout player who knows how to stun the vamp out of his drain.
No drain = small chance of winning, imo.
And a glass bow can definitely be a difference maker if they're not wearing resist jewels.
Get Good or Get Got

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 am

Wouldn't you just get used to juking out grounding shots with fake casts if you played a vamp?
Now you must build the lies you have told.

zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by zenjah » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am

Ajushi wrote:Wouldn't you just get used to juking out grounding shots with fake casts if you played a vamp?
Hmm. Never thought of that. Start the cast then move to stop it without triggering the cooldown?
Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Vandarr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:19 pm

zenjah wrote:
Ajushi wrote:Wouldn't you just get used to juking out grounding shots with fake casts if you played a vamp?
Hmm. Never thought of that. Start the cast then move to stop it without triggering the cooldown?
Yeah - it's a pretty common tactic among duellist scouts who only play in SDR.

NicoMendelev
10v10 Champion
10v10 Champion

Post by NicoMendelev » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes, I mean I played the Vamp 2500 def scout pretty well if I may say so myself and with a glass XBow, regardless of resists you can win the fight because that proc from the glass XBow is what's really golden about it Darkseid. Healing yourself for 1/4th of your max health is a big deal. And juking for the Grounding shot is very common. Like I've said in other threads though, a bird scout can still just run away if he wants. I'm only stating that in a duel where you both stand and fight, the vamp should win.

Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Starfish » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Vandarr wrote:
zenjah wrote:

Hey now!

Vampire and Aracoix are your general top of the line scouts.

Aracoix will dominate a vampire in a 1v1, and most other (non veteran) scouts. If it's a properly outfitted veteran, it'll stalemate. There are very few of those said scouts around however, so Aracoix is still your best bet.

For disc or vorg hunting, Vampire is your best bet. For dealing with small groups vampire is also pretty strong. However, this is for belgosch only; if you make a strigoi scout officially you would be better as an aracoix.

None of the other races serve any purpose in the field besides novelty or if you don't want to follow the "masses", though UA scouts can kill more characters than a bow scout can - running into a good bow (aracoix) scout will get you killed on such a toon and that's a likely occurance.

Humans are gr8 for duels or evaccing though
a bird scout can still just run away if he wants. I'm only stating that in a duel where you both stand and fight, the vamp should win.
A vamp shouldn't come close to winning a duel versus a competent bird!

Cryfowl
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Cryfowl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Starfish wrote:
Vandarr wrote:
zenjah wrote:

Hey now!

Vampire and Aracoix are your general top of the line scouts.

Aracoix will dominate a vampire in a 1v1, and most other (non veteran) scouts. If it's a properly outfitted veteran, it'll stalemate. There are very few of those said scouts around however, so Aracoix is still your best bet.

For disc or vorg hunting, Vampire is your best bet. For dealing with small groups vampire is also pretty strong. However, this is for belgosch only; if you make a strigoi scout officially you would be better as an aracoix.

None of the other races serve any purpose in the field besides novelty or if you don't want to follow the "masses", though UA scouts can kill more characters than a bow scout can - running into a good bow (aracoix) scout will get you killed on such a toon and that's a likely occurance.

a bird scout can still just run away if he wants. I'm only stating that in a duel where you both stand and fight, the vamp should win.
A vamp shouldn't come close to winning a duel versus a competent bird![/quote]
At first I was going to have to strongly disagree with you here however i can let it slide. Over the years i think i have built and actively played every conceivable scout build in the game and the single greatest, most all around powerful build i found was the human (or aelf) con/int pure proc build. I used it for just about everything including duels and went undeated on it (against pierce dmg toons) for the last 9 months the server was up. It's not glamorous, but you win (through attrition) every time This certainly qualifies as "novelty"(albeit a very strong one) and it's certainly not a toon for the masses. But in the end it wins.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm

A decent bird scout with a glass bow should be able to beat any human or aelf build that isn't rolling around with 60 poison, and is better suited for general use tackling non scout builds, too.

Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Starfish » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Any half decent player can make a runecaster scout and attempt to conserve stam, which is pretty much what every top tier scout duel is about. If you're on a human or aelfborn bow scout, there's no way you should be dying in a duel to another scout period. But again, worthless statement because in the field it's a worthless character

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Can we just assume any build being discussed is a real build, one that goes out and does scouting for more than 10 min stints because of not relying on safehold parked buffs?

Remember that lakeman guy who beat every scout with his human proccer on some server and it was posted all over the forums? I dueled him on my elf thief right after that (I had been watching them) and he just fell over, literally died inside a PB. Dueling toons are not worth discussing.

Cryfowl
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Cryfowl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Ajushi wrote:A decent bird scout with a glass bow should be able to beat any human or aelf build that isn't rolling around with 60 poison, and is better suited for general use tackling non scout builds, too.
]

I commonly ran with 50 poison resists once glass bows became fairly common out in the field. And no - the bird will stam out every time against the human con/int proccer if played well. I have beaten many and can tell you exactly how the fight will go blow by blow. Ultimately the bird reaches around the 200 stam mark and i'll have 3k health and half my mana still. That's normally when they start to reconsider the fight.

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Vandarr » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Starfish wrote:Any half decent player can make a runecaster scout and attempt to conserve stam, which is pretty much what every top tier scout duel is about. If you're on a human or aelfborn bow scout, there's no way you should be dying in a duel to another scout period. But again, worthless statement because in the field it's a worthless character
I could not disagree with this statement more.

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Vandarr » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Ajushi wrote:Can we just assume any build being discussed is a real build, one that goes out and does scouting for more than 10 min stints because of not relying on safehold parked buffs?

Remember that lakeman guy who beat every scout with his human proccer on some server and it was posted all over the forums? I dueled him on my elf thief right after that (I had been watching them) and he just fell over, literally died inside a PB. Dueling toons are not worth discussing.
He even made a video about it on youtube. Zero trains in run.

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Vandarr » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Starfish wrote:Vampire and Aracoix are your general top of the line scouts.

Drivel. :)

Cryfowl
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Cryfowl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Starfish wrote:Any half decent player can make a runecaster scout and attempt to conserve stam, which is pretty much what every top tier scout duel is about. If you're on a human or aelfborn bow scout, there's no way you should be dying in a duel to another scout period. But again, worthless statement because in the field it's a worthless character
How can you possibly think this when 90% of the fights out in the field when playing a solo scout are "duels" ? Of course i am not taking this build to a mine fight, GvG or for bane recon but i assure you it works for everything else a scout does.

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:20 pm

yup im definitely still the best

also im pretty sure that lakemen guy lost to birdiee and cried about it, prompting the other decent players on the server to not waste their time with him
Crazy Talk GL

Starfish
SBE Team
SBE Team

Post by Starfish » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:32 pm

How can you possibly think this when 90% of the fights out in the field when playing a solo scout are "duels" ? Of course i am not taking this build to a mine fight, GvG or for bane recon but i assure you it works for everything else a scout does.
Goodluck fighting 2+ characters at once

Goodluck picking off one or two characters from a levelling group - an Aracoix will do it faster, smoother and with less risk

90% of your fights in the open field are not 1v1s, that's insane. Aracoix will give you superior speed and ability to kill other characters quicker, whilst also improving general survivability by becoming incredibly hard to deal with by needing a ground to be affected by melee characters (or being immune to them), and by being faster than other scout races in optimal situations.

Disagree all you like, but it's the truth. With poison resist, Runecaster and non-brain deadness you can ensure the other scout just doesn't have enough damage to ever kill you. It's simple. When the highlighting point of your build is killing people that don't know what they're doing, and stalemating against veterans, it's a bit pathetic really. Scout duels are simple, pick up a human and stalemate, or win if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing.

Drivel.
Aracoix and Vampire are the superior scout races in most real situations. Aelfborn can definitely be viable, but not optimal when compared to the other 2. Vampire bring unique utility and the ability to turn any 1v1 into a 2v1; it's an auto win against any other class/race or scout in the game, and the Aracoix brings unparralled killing ability whilst also being the only viable flyer --> suddenly melee toons and thieves aren't a threat.

Goodluck dealing with those 2 UA scouts you just ran into on your human, or infact any combination of opponents (with one melee) when you are revealed and snared. Even in 2v2+ situations, Aracoix will be superior due to flight - they need too much attention to lock down and kill, whilst retaining the highest reliable damage output, and highest (optimal) speed.

Vandarr
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Vandarr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Starfish wrote:Disagree all you like, but it's the truth. With poison resist, Runecaster and non-brain deadness you can ensure the other scout just doesn't have enough damage to ever kill you.
Only if you're willing to evac. As I've said elsewhere, I build my scouts to kill.
Aracoix and Vampire are the superior scout races in most real situations. Aelfborn can definitely be viable, but not optimal when compared to the other 2. Vampire bring unique utility and the ability to turn any 1v1 into a 2v1; it's an auto win against any other class/race or scout in the game, and the Aracoix brings unparralled killing ability whilst also being the only viable flyer --> suddenly melee toons and thieves aren't a threat.

Goodluck dealing with those 2 UA scouts you just ran into on your human, or infact any combination of opponents (with one melee) when you are revealed and snared. Even in 2v2+ situations, Aracoix will be superior due to flight - they need too much attention to lock down and kill, whilst retaining the highest reliable damage output, and highest (optimal) speed.
The vamp's 2v1 is overstated with the recent changes to vamp summon timers. I can kill many vamps before the other guy gets into the zone. You're absolutely correct on the Aracoix's "get away" abilities with flight and the sped boost, but it doesn't make it superior to the damage output a wererat can put out, or a sundancer on a group based toon, just as a few examples.

Fallen13
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Fallen13 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:17 am

Starfish wrote:
Goodluck fighting 2+ characters at once

Goodluck picking off one or two characters from a levelling group - an Aracoix will do it faster, smoother and with less risk

90% of your fights in the open field are not 1v1s, that's insane. Aracoix will give you superior speed and ability to kill other characters quicker, whilst also improving general survivability by becoming incredibly hard to deal with by needing a ground to be affected by melee characters (or being immune to them), and by being faster than other scout races in optimal situations.

Disagree all you like, but it's the truth. With poison resist, Runecaster and non-brain deadness you can ensure the other scout just doesn't have enough damage to ever kill you. It's simple. When the highlighting point of your build is killing people that don't know what they're doing, and stalemating against veterans, it's a bit pathetic really. Scout duels are simple, pick up a human and stalemate, or win if your opponent doesn't know what they're doing.

Drivel.

I haven't seen any vamp scout last more than 30-45 sec vs my human or shade wererat spec'd scout's, even when they have a 20 lvl advantage and get the jump.

Aracoix of course have an advantage to any melee toon, but there dmg output is much lower than wererat's and I've been able to down higher lvl thief/scout birdman combo's by killing the bird scout faster than they could have anticipated and playing the stealth kite game on the thief after the scout was dead. The dmg a wererat can put out with glass bow and LA vorg is truly awe inspiring to behold.
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

BigDaddy
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by BigDaddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:21 am

Fallen13 wrote:I haven't seen any vamp scout last more than 30-45 sec vs my human or shade wererat spec'd scout's, even when they have a 20 lvl advantage and get the jump.
You obviously did not meet Durham then. In the last phase she used her Belgosh to continually re-summon her fessor bot and thus always ran with 60 or 70 poison resists. Anyone with a glass bow ended up running, unless they had others with them. Admittedly I won't be able to do this in the next phase, due to one-boxing, but you won't have your Glass bow either by the look of it, so good luck with that higher damage output vs my fort. :D

Fallen13
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Fallen13 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:09 pm

BigDaddy wrote:
Fallen13 wrote:I haven't seen any vamp scout last more than 30-45 sec vs my human or shade wererat spec'd scout's, even when they have a 20 lvl advantage and get the jump.
You obviously did not meet Durham then. In the last phase she used her Belgosh to continually re-summon her fessor bot and thus always ran with 60 or 70 poison resists. Anyone with a glass bow ended up running, unless they had others with them. Admittedly I won't be able to do this in the next phase, due to one-boxing, but you won't have your Glass bow either by the look of it, so good luck with that higher damage output vs my fort. :D
I started with a vorgrim and upgraded to glass every preview, so yes I will have a poison based bow within 1-3 days and glass within 5-7.

I just want to take a moment to seriously laugh at the fact that you bragged about what your build did with botted buffs. Something even the most feebly built and incompetent player's can do. The fact that you didn't feel secure enough about your scout build to roll without a full time bot speaks volumes about your pvp skills.

But grats on needing other classes support to succeed on your scout, sounds like a superior build to me. LMFAO!
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Return to “Scout, Master Pathfinder”