Re: Psiblades

Post by TheWhopper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:18 am

int/con resist proclock?

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:20 pm

mor def/atr for a deflock? Has anyone ever made a successful dps based psiblade lock?
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Psiblade and board with all the warlock trimmings would do ok if you weren't taking life too seriously. Never made one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you pumped str and played it reasonably well. Psiblades are str, right? Haven't made a non BM fighterlock since veng, and that was int/con deflock (gimp).
Now you must build the lies you have told.

Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Zergs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:22 pm

TheWhopper wrote:int/con resist proclock?
No access to UH, bots are for pussies. NEXT!
Moco wrote:mor def/atr for a deflock? Has anyone ever made a successful dps based psiblade lock?
Had 2 full accs of warlocks back on live and I'm pretty sure I had two of these. Basically nothing other professions couldn't do better. One of them was resist huge [fluffy bunnies] bird, that only needed "Gimp inc! Target me!" sign over its head to complete ridiculousness. The other one was high def vamp. Needless to say that one turned to Skah! as well with psiblades being str and all that jazz. You could probably run around with one of these in khar or doovoo and get occasional kill, but beside that there is no reason in building one.

The main point of this thread is uselessness of psiblades. When non-profession weapons are better option you know something is broken. I'd really like to see them turned into something special and with it see fighterlocks back on a bane scene where they belong.

Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Zergs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Ajushi wrote:Psiblade and board with all the warlock trimmings would do ok if you weren't taking life too seriously. Never made one, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you pumped str and played it reasonably well. Psiblades are str, right? Haven't made a non BM fighterlock since veng, and that was int/con deflock (gimp).
Simply compare it with similarly set up templar and you'll quickly realize that there's no real reason to deliberately gimp yourself while there's a profession with perfect synergy. Better stance, far far far superior damage buff, better spells, access to HA, access to toughness race etc etc. The best race for str sword/board build would be Neph, but then you lose helm and ton of good discs, so there's that.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't see how Templars necessarily have better spells in this specific instance. I am not saying one is better than the other, but locks get a debuff dispel, focusline gm heal, a ranged no hitroll 60% snare and an absolutely fine dmg buff if you are going physical dmg, which was what was suggested.

I could make one that would raise a few eyebrows. As I said, it wouldn't win any toon of the year awards, but we are shooting for viable here, right?
Now you must build the lies you have told.

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by TheWhopper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Zergs wrote:

just put the mental proc on your swords and debuff

Siren
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Siren » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Zergs wrote:
Moco wrote:mor def/atr for a deflock? Has anyone ever made a successful dps based psiblade lock?
Had 2 full accs of warlocks back on live and I'm pretty sure I had two of these. Basically nothing other professions couldn't do better. One of them was resist huge [fluffy bunnies] bird, that only needed "Gimp inc! Target me!" sign over its head to complete ridiculousness. The other one was high def vamp. Needless to say that one turned to s*** as well with psiblades being str and all that jazz. You could probably run around with one of these in khar or doovoo and get occasional kill, but beside that there is no reason in building one.

The main point of this thread is uselessness of psiblades. When non-profession weapons are better option you know something is broken. I'd really like to see them turned into something special and with it see fighterlocks back on a bane scene where they belong.
I propose a small amount of mental damage each(EVERY) successful melee strike.

Siren
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Siren » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:43 pm

that way it ties in the debuff and mental buff

Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Zergs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Ajushi wrote:I don't see how Templars necessarily have better spells in this specific instance. I am not saying one is better than the other, but locks get a debuff dispel, focusline gm heal, a ranged no hitroll 60% snare and an absolutely fine dmg buff if you are going physical dmg, which was what was suggested.

I could make one that would raise a few eyebrows. As I said, it wouldn't win any toon of the year awards, but we are shooting for viable here, right?
DK alone makes templar infinitely better as I don't need to train sword as high as you to hit thing, insta cast stun to interrupt casting. This disc allows me less train intensive investments, leaving enough trains for other stuff. I can go for a great sword mastery powers for passive cut and damage debuff, while you need MoGS rune only to get PR20 powers. Templars damage buff also comes with power damage buff thus I lose almost nothing by training them even tho I'm melee oriented toon. Also because of it my drain dot and your heal in toons with 60-ish int are incomparable. The list goes on.

Before writing this post I made one in calc myself. Hopefully once this baby starts chugging, we can put them to test ;)

Still all this is beside the point. Viable or not, this toon fulfills absolutely no role, or at least not one that others can't do better. Fighterlock are also one of the reasons I made Vorg thread since access to CC staff would nudge them a bit nearer towards competent nukers, but not without consequences.
I propose a small amount of mental damage each(EVERY) successful melee strike.
Something similar to this was proposed before, tho suggestion was about making them entirely mental. Unfortunately ppl are usually cautious around this sort of ideas, afraid someone might disturb their precious mino/dwarf balance. Now I wouldn't mind fighterlock's squishiness or psiblades being str based if there was some sort of reasonable compensation or role they can excel at. Consider these ideas:

Increasing melee capabilities through psiblade buff:
- Psi's are fully mental and can deal really big damage after exposing. A channeler of melee classes if you will. Being str based you'd need to go str/off stance, meaning no regular warlock survivability, no high def, and possibly no shield as you would probably want to deliver as much damage as possible. To inspire sort of a fear a charging minos do. Even tho you know they can be dropped in a few swings, unless you stacked mental res, so could you. So you either get help, get away or get Skah!. Sort of a elf defentinel WOAH Skah! SCATTER!!1! effect. :D

Incresing nuking capabilities through psiblade buff:
- Psiblades have 10% power damage/7.5% atr debuff rollable suffix. With ambi you get 20% power damage and 15% atr debuff which would be equivalent to wearing CC staff, but still 20% power damage behind CC wearing magelock. Mages get to keep nuking dominance, no real benefit for mages as they can get the better results with CC staff, and fighterlocks profit with reasonable sacrifice of their survivability.

In both cases it's a trade off between power and survivability while keeping the class basically unchanged and in both cases you wouldn't have to be entirely embarrassed for bringing class you really love to the bane.

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by TheWhopper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Is it possible to make psiblades int based? This way you can't utilize the all of the utilize the warlocks goodies and still do good melee damage. Also I see this as a better solution then making them deal mental damage so you don't have people crying like they do for glass weapons.

Zergs
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Zergs » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:39 pm

TheWhopper wrote:Is it possible to make psiblades int based? This way you can't utilize the all of the utilize the warlocks goodies and still do good melee damage. Also I see this as a better solution then making them deal mental damage so you don't have people crying like they do for glass weapons.
Heh no idea if any of this is possible tbh. :) MEntal damage is way different from glass. When implementing it, devs had just enough wits about them to realize that ranged glass might be a bit too powerful due to range, so they made it deal poison damage which is far easier to counter than bleeding.

See it like this: if you come to a bane high stacked in slash resist and your enemy shows spoting huge [fluffy bunnies] hammers, you either switch gear or get crushed. Same is with glass ranged speces. Once the enemy stacks enough poison resist, you can easily become ineffective even with fury expose. Turning psiblades into mental damage would be even more challenging task as you need to go toe to toe with things tougher and far more survivable than you. In this case your advantage would be superior damage. Well at least until your opponents don't stack mental.

TheWhopper
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by TheWhopper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Zergs wrote:
TheWhopper wrote:Is it possible to make psiblades int based? This way you can't utilize the all of the utilize the warlocks goodies and still do good melee damage. Also I see this as a better solution then making them deal mental damage so you don't have people crying like they do for glass weapons.
Heh no idea if any of this is possible tbh. :) MEntal damage is way different from glass. When implementing it, devs had just enough wits about them to realize that ranged glass might be a bit too powerful due to range, so they made it deal poison damage which is far easier to counter than bleeding.

See it like this: if you come to a bane high stacked in slash resist and your enemy shows spoting huge [fluffy bunnies] hammers, you either switch gear or get crushed. Same is with glass ranged speces. Once the enemy stacks enough poison resist, you can easily become ineffective even with fury expose. Turning psiblades into mental damage would be even more challenging task as you need to go toe to toe with things tougher and far more survivable than you. In this case your advantage would be superior damage. Well at least until your opponents don't stack mental.
yeah im glad i didnt play when glass got the change... but i think int based psi blades would be bad [fluffy bunnies] and make them a viable choice besides to raise atr+def on deflocks.

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 pm

This question haunts me to this day. I keep wanting to make one, but the most i can come up with is a proccer with ~3.8k hp and 1.9k def.

Pisses me off.

It seems viable with GM heal and GM nuke/debuff. Seems like it could do a decent job of hurting people but I just can't get the impression that it will ever be that great. Plus, can't get good parry on the build, end up with 100% at most and at that rate I might rather train the snare or dmg absorber.

only about 140 int. heal will prolly do about 400 or 500. nuke prolly about the same.
You can run, but you'll die tired.

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Twitch: rewenx

Post by Rewen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Yes, fighter Warlocks are hurting. Great defense, but means little without at least decent offensive capabilities.

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Rewen wrote:Yes, fighter Warlocks are hurting. Great defense, but means little without at least decent offensive capabilities.
There has to be a way. What if you went str based high def? Medium armor is based on int/str right?

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Twitch: rewenx

Post by Rewen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:30 pm

There are a lot of ways to get nice damage out of Warlocks, but doing that just begs the question "why am I not just rolling [any other fighter-class]?"

Telemakus
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Telemakus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Rewen wrote:There are a lot of ways to get nice damage out of Warlocks, but doing that just begs the question "why am I not just rolling [any other fighter-class]?"
Yep, well as was pointed out earlier, templar > fighterlock for pretty much anything you would want to come up with.

They could use a power dmg buff I think. If it was linked to parry and required parry at 90% (or something high enough that it wouldn't be terribly feasible for a traditional deflock to go after), I can't imagine it being op.

Anyways, I'd rather figure out how to make one with the current utilities. Here's my brainstorm about it:

Resist based:
Cloth fighterlock that uses the damage absorber and resist cloth combined with spiked parry
MA STR/con sword and board
MA STR/con dual weild (dw)
MA INT/con DW proccer/nuker
MA STR/CON/INT DW proccer/nuker
MA STR/INT vamp DW proccer/nuker

Def based:
MA int/con DW proccer/nuker
MA STR/con DW physical dmg
MA ST/INT vamp DW proccer/nuker

For all of these (unless stated otherwise), I lean towards human as a class (except, maybe, for the cloth fighterlock which could be any race).

zhejiang
Snobo
Snobo

Post by zhejiang » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 am

so stronger

travisdh1
Snobo
Snobo

Post by travisdh1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried just about every variant of psi-blade user.

Just drop a sign on your head "Here comes the gimp! Kill me!"

Gwaehir
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Gwaehir » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:18 am

the easiest fix is this:

1) revert the warlock code to beta.. 3? pre release.

2) make ALL class weapons do their class damage

IE Psiblades did mental, not slashing damage
channy swords did fire damage
assassin daggers did cold damage

etc.....

then we could actually have class wepaons that were worth a damn.

Return to “Warlock, Warrior of the Mind”