Great Sword

Cools
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Great Sword

Post by Cools » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:58 am

Is there any reason to go any other race besides HG on a greatsword warrior?

My favorite toon ever was my human Bofis clone but humans are severely lacking when it comes to warrior stats.

I like Dwarves and LOVE hone but the absence of Dark Knight is sort of a deal breaker.

And to clarify before the BM/BW crowd chimes in --> I think Dex warriors suck :)
Cools' Real Estate And Mercantile
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

Reaper989
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Re: Great Sword

Post by Reaper989 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 am

Well humans get BM for the stacking expose and atr buff, however, HG get stun/pb immunity along with higher base str/con while getting +10 to GS.

So it's a choice of the following...

BM Expose
BM Atr Buff (Along with possible valk atr buff)
pbAoE to reveal stealthers
Highest str (valk)

or

Higher con/str (without considering valk, since I beleive with valk you get more on a human or a reasonable amount on an aelfborn)
+10 to GS to negate 10 into GS (or 20 if you're into double trains at that point)
HG Rage

If it came down to catching my target or omgpwnsauce atr I'd make an aelfborn but for duels (At least lower def toons) HG.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:41 pm

I had a neph on lore but I would probably go GS mino if I ever made a warrior again.
Now you must build the lies you have told.

coolstream
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by coolstream » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:20 pm

I had an elf BM warrior back in the day when you could use GS powers with a BM sword... you can't now so it's not as good, but still viable.
"If I don't know what I'm doing, my enemy certainly can't anticipate my future actions!"

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Humans get a couple bonuses that help with offensive capabilities: Valk, which helps with atr, and BM, which grants an expose and a damage shield (which you can GM expose for, btw). They lose out a bit on con, but a str-based human warr of any kind is completely viable, GS included.

Would it win head-to-head against an HG? probably not, since it's going to be short 20-30 con. But it could probably give the HG a run for its money versus other builds. Since toughness is granted by class, the only real benefit of HG then becomes the racial rage, which isn't nearly as much of a bonus as 1500 extra health is (which is the reason to pick HG on about every other class they both can choose).

Vlaad
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Vlaad » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:39 pm

minos do it well also

Jomini
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Jomini » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 pm

I liked my mino, but there are better ways to build minos.

I ran a duo with my wife, a GS and a GA dwarf, and the two rocked together. if you have a group, i would make dwarfs with at least two GA for the con strip, and your stuns should come from support.

if this is a solo toon/ dual'r once again there are better ways to go, but a HG will always do the trick

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Dwarfs do it epicly + they win stylebane with a seraph
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

BeanCurd
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by BeanCurd » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Lols yeh on murrays stupid little previews i had a dwarf GS warrior with the Glass 2handed Sword looked so sweet :)

Skippy
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Cools wrote:Is there any reason to go any other race besides HG on a greatsword warrior?
Once the new powers for GS came out i made a GS mino warrior and it was awesome. Personally i think that my mino GS warrior would beat almost any half giant warrior 1v1 regardless of the weapon.
One bonus for going mino is that you can take bloodhorn which gives you stacking bleeds, nice for those pesky stealthers. And the perma stun immune is always a good thing. And to me a mino in DK armor is pretty sexy

Cools
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Cools » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 am

Skippy wrote:
Cools wrote:Is there any reason to go any other race besides HG on a greatsword warrior?
Once the new powers for GS came out i made a GS mino warrior and it was awesome. Personally i think that my mino GS warrior would beat almost any half giant warrior 1v1 regardless of the weapon.
One bonus for going mino is that you can take bloodhorn which gives you stacking bleeds, nice for those pesky stealthers. And the perma stun immune is always a good thing. And to me a mino in DK armor is pretty sexy
Mino doesn't have access to commy and a 24 con hood which is a large disadvantage as far as 1v1'ers ;)

So a mino can get like 20 more str, 24 less con and is stun immune. HG get 20 less str, 24 more con and have (castable) PB immunity. If the hg has his damage chant going, I'd take him over mino any day of the week.

... of course this is not taking into consideration actual skill levels of the participants :)
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

Cools
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Cools » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:53 am

Anyway, back on topic:

I'm probably going to stick with HG... now the debate becomes WARRIOR OR BARBARIAN?

Warrior:
Dark Knight
- Invaluable Stun
- Invaluable Blind

Barbarian:
Rage
- 110 str
- 75 con
- 3500 hp heal
- Unstunable
Drawback is medium armor (not much of a drawback imho) and lvl 20 sword powers, lvl 40 greatsword powers. The slash expose is on the generic sword line :( The str/dex debuff is also on the sword line but -60 to an opponents stats as opposed to -80 at lvl 40 isn't a big deal to me.

So, I think with the weapon level powers, the warrior still looses out to the barb in damage output over time because of +str on rage and increased survivability due to rage. The only way I can think to up the warriors damage is to go dual wield swords but then we get into a real mess considering a dual wielding sword templar or hammer sentinal will do more damage than the warrior and have more interesting powers with the same if not more survivability. I love warriors but even if I make a pure melee dual wielding templar, I would beat my own dual wielding warrior 99 times out of 100. But then again I fucking hate templars!

Shit... maybe I just talked myself into rolling a dwarf sent :(
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 pm

The JM sword power loses both magnitude and duration, so take that into consideration. 1v1 the barb rage is like a "second wind", since you get 40% of your HP back and 75% of your stam back, which overall is quite helpful. I personally like Barbs better for solo play because their tools put them very clearly above warriors during rage, and you should be able to finish a fight before rage goes away. Also the various MAs are way sexier than the HAs (I personally like Vanguard, which is strangely absent from Morlochwiki).

Vengeance doesn't hurt either, although I never really got a chance to play around with it.

Haudrauf
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Haudrauf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:18 am

Cools wrote:Drawback is medium armor (not much of a drawback imho)
its a big drawback for a barb fighting a ha warrior. just calculate the dmg/dps loss because of ha resis. warrior>barb in general. ha + better weaponpowers > a bit more con and rage (healthhealing included).

Beula
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Beula » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Don't forget the barb has an AoE stun so the stun from DK isn't much greater

Siren
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Siren » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 pm

go HG great sword warrior or get OmgWtfPwnt until you learn [/thread]

Cools
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Cools » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 am

Siren wrote:go HG great sword warrior or get OmgWtfPwnt until you learn [/thread]
I suppose you would suggest I use glass too... you seem like that sort of person.
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am

100% better off going templar for a solo build. HG GS Temps aren't too shabby.

Siren
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Siren » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Cools wrote:
Siren wrote:go HG great sword warrior or get OmgWtfPwnt until you learn [/thread]
I suppose you would suggest I use glass too... you seem like that sort of person.

cmon...Seriph

Siren
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Siren » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Ajushi wrote:100% better off going templar for a solo build. HG GS Temps aren't too shabby.
I have a warm feeling when I think of my beloved Templar.

Adron
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Adron » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:07 am

Deathmarch wrote:The JM sword power loses both magnitude and duration, so take that into consideration. 1v1 the barb rage is like a "second wind", since you get 40% of your HP back and 75% of your stam back, which overall is quite helpful. I personally like Barbs better for solo play because their tools put them very clearly above warriors during rage, and you should be able to finish a fight before rage goes away. Also the various MAs are way sexier than the HAs (I personally like Vanguard, which is strangely absent from Morlochwiki).

Vengeance doesn't hurt either, although I never really got a chance to play around with it.
What is this Vanguard armor of which you speak? my handy-dandy spreadsheets of item awesomeness don't show squat on this.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 am

It was the name of the generic MA they brought in at ToO launch but either in beta or not long after it got made into the priest set called Sacrosanct iirc.

Here's a pic

BeanCurd
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by BeanCurd » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:35 pm

That armor is so sexy on dwarf prelate..

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 pm

BeanCurd wrote:That armor is so sexy on a HG Barb..
Fixt
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Cools
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Cools » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Yer all drunk. Vanguard is ugly as shit.
REPEAL THE GOLD CAP!

Deathmarch
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Deathmarch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Moco knows what's up. Don't hate.

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:45 am

Deathmarch wrote:Moco knows what's up. Don't hate.
8-)

goodman
Snobo
Snobo

Post by goodman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Could someone explain me - why go for GS with warrior, especially for mino HG etc? There are no PB or stun on it. Axe for HG or polearm for mino are much better, or no? I suppose there is some kind of trick i donno )).

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:11 pm

goodman wrote:Could someone explain me - why go for GS with warrior, especially for mino HG etc? There are no PB or stun on it. Axe for HG or polearm for mino are much better, or no? I suppose there is some kind of trick i donno )).
Gut Wrencher
"Weapon Power and Ignore Passive Defense"

goodman
Snobo
Snobo

Post by goodman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 pm

That's good power. BM and stats debuff are good too. But no stun, pb and deffcut is headache.
Konik | Clint Eastwood

Return to “Warrior, Soldier and Slayer”