What about a neph?

Xiathys
Snobo
Snobo

What about a neph?

Post by Xiathys » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Hey folks,

I see most people going Irekei / human / etc. What about neph?

I was just looking at Moco's build, and wondering if I would trade the HoT (it's super low anyways, ticking for 70's in the screenshot) and 165atr from the dual wield, in exchange for flight that can't be dispelled/stunned/snared off by pretty much every toon.

Is this just blasphemy and horrible trade, or not? I'll defer to the more experienced wizard players, thanks :)

Fleetness
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Re: What about a neph?

Post by Fleetness » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Here is my default PL server up neph build. It has just enough in Mystic Bolt and Wizardry to keep perpetual flight and mana up, but at the price of a more complicated macro alternating mage bolt, sorthoth and Mystic bolt and mana drains.

If you want an easier PL macro, take trains out of Sorcery and put them into GM-ing Mystic bolt and take Wizardry higher and just user Mystic Bolt for PVE. This build is also pvp effective as well as pve.

-------The Basics---------

Race: Nephilim
Class: Mage
Profession: Wizard

------Applied Runes-------

Wizard's Apprentice
Brilliant Mind
Tough Hide
Intelligence of the Gods
Traveller
Battle Magus

----------Stats-----------

Strength: 40/140
Dexterity: 10/60
Constitution: 85/85
Intelligence: 190/190
Spirit: 74/75

----------Skills----------

Sorcery 141% (90 trains)
Warding 95% (44 trains)
Wizardry 115% (63 trains)

----------Powers----------

Shielding 40 (Grand Master)
Mage Bolt 40 (Grand Master)
Lesser Mage Bolt 1 (Untrained)
Stun 40 (Grand Master)
Enfeeblement 1 (Untrained)
Weakening 1 (Untrained)
Blood Boil 1 (Untrained)
Spectral Bonds 6 (Beginner)
Cloak of Obscurity 21 (Journeyman)
Translocation 32 (Proficient)
Greater Translocation 1 (Untrained)
Sign of Sorthoth 40 (Grand Master)
Hexgram Ritual 40 (Grand Master)
Mystic Bolt 16 (Adept)
Mystic Backlash 5 (Beginner)
Consume the Will 15 (Adept)
Leech the Will 40 (Grand Master)
Sign of Disruption 40 (Grand Master)
Sign of Glauror 1 (Untrained)
Charm of Binding 15 (Adept)
Charm of Protection 40 (Grand Master)

tooshifty
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by tooshifty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:34 am

nephs dont get used much in pvp as wizards because they have no heal and low hp. The other classess benifits outweigh the neph usually. they make good glass cannons though.
OLDSCHOOL
a.k.a. Shifty
a.k.a. Tenshi
a.k.a. Jin

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:44 am

When I first started playing Skylara was known for being quite a terror with a neph wizard in the desert on veng. Enough to make me roll one very similar to fleetness' build there. It's good.

Irekei is obviously the top pick for soloing since the sd/bp restriction was lifted but the neph is still a great character. You can mess around in people's towns until the guard situation gets too hot, and in small group play the extra atr and heal the irekei gets don't count for much. Plus you can PL your buds.
Now you must build the lies you have told.

Xiathys
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Xiathys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Okay, so neph is definitely viable it sounds.

@Ajushi; That's exactly what I was wondering about. The extra atr/heal doesn't seem like it would count for much, weighed against natural flight.

@Fleetness; How is survivability with low con?

How about something like:

Neph, mage, wiz
- brilliant mind, warlord's page, ? (Healthy as an ox, tough hide, tough as nails) ?

End up with something like:

Con: 140ish
Int: 180
Spi: 40ish

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Def go more con than Fleetness' build. Wizards got a bit of love in the health department late on, you can put points there without it being a futile effort. Tough as nails and tough hide are well worth it. You can switch out your robe for some resist cloth when gvg time comes around and get a very respectable spread.
Now you must build the lies you have told.

Fleetness
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Fleetness » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:07 pm

My build is my PL/Farm build. It can surprise in PvP, but the focus was on macroing turtles on Roc. At server up, you train the pet, then refine it back out as you reach 75. Most of the useful wizzie skills can be trained at the safehold trainers except getting your focus lines up real high.

TaN is certainly worth taking, but wizzies don't get a huge return on con, the build I posted with gear was around 2400-2600 HP from memory. I don't think the stat spread you posted will get more than 3200 hp. With only 40 spirit, you will have trouble keeping perma mana in walk mode, so you will have to use the Mana Dots and Drains more.

You can wreck people with this build, but carry a lot of red potions or group with somebody that can heal. 1v1 you can actually do pretty well except if you get jumped by an assassin and 9 second stunned (wear at least 30% cold and poison resists). Bow scouts can be annoying, but you can either kill them, or double translocate two mini maps away and red potion heal up if the fight goes against you. Even without a heal, a bow scout shouldn't be able to kill you if you play this character correctly.

Xiathys
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Xiathys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Hmm, so for more of a solo or with one/two other people pker, how do you feel about something like:

-------The Basics---------

Race: Nephilim
Class: Mage
Profession: Wizard

------Applied Runes-------

Warlord's Page
Brilliant Mind
Tough as Nails
Intelligence of the Gods
Legendary Constitution

----------Stats-----------

Strength: 40/140
Dexterity: 5/55
Constitution: 135/135
Intelligence: 180/180
Spirit: 37/75

----------Skills----------

Sorcery 137% (92 trains)
Warding 80% (34 trains)
Wizardry 115% (68 trains)

----------Powers----------

Shielding 40 (Grand Master)
Mage Bolt 40 (Grand Master)
Enfeeblement 40 (Grand Master)
Spectral Bonds 2 (Novice)
Stun 40 (Grand Master)
Cloak of Obscurity 20 (Journeyman)
Magic Ward 40 (Grand Master)
Translocation 40 (Grand Master)
Hexgram Ritual 40 (Grand Master)
Charm of Protection 40 (Grand Master)
Sign of H'gaan 40 (Grand Master)
Sign of Sorthoth 40 (Grand Master)
Consume the Will 15 (Adept)

I don't see many people take the damage/magic shields, but getting an extra 750 absorb seems like a plus to me. And I tried to pump up a little more con.

--- edit ---

I keep thinking a mage assassin does it better though :/

Fleetness
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Fleetness » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Sign of Disruption is a better choice for 40 trains than Sign of H'gaan. You can strip, con, dex, def and strength buffs off with it.

Looks decent, but I prefer a bit more spirit than that. You will have to carry blue pots.

Magic ward only helps you against other wizards and sorcery based bards and mage assassins. I never ran into them often enough to take that spell. Depends on the server composition. Also, you will probably want a few more trains in the root.

I generally ended up fighting bow scouts, bow huntresses and mage/rogue assassins the most. This is Rogue Bane after all. A well played shade mage assassin is probably your toughest opponent. That was why I used cold an poison resists, helped against both Hunties and Assassins.

quessy
Snobo
Snobo

What about a neph

Post by quessy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:52 am

Now that its been updated, what does everyone think about the performance? Would you realistically play it now?

Return to “Wizard, Arcane Master”