Superb Wizard Templates

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Re: Superb Wizard Templates

Post by 8Shade » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Dyson wrote:
RaWqR wrote:
Dyson wrote:abysmal, which unfortunately is the opposite of superb. change your thread title, it's quite misleading.
Good enough to kill you repeatedly in the previews with, which i admit, doesnt mean much. More on topic, Ive used these kinds of builds for several years with success, they are superb and you are wrong.
Haven't died to you in any preview. Templates are bad.

title change plz
agree...

They are definitely not superb, I probably woudn't even try any of them...

Pollarixie
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Pollarixie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Superb! Oh yes!
SIMPLY THE BEST!
Definitely quite better than all of the rest!
Dyson claims they're bad,
which makes Rawqr real sad,
because in reality they are a Tad bit bad.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:26 am

Well, claiming something is bad, a tad bit bad or just abysmal without any argument to why that is so is a common argumental technique used by children or underdeveloped adults. You may of course stick to this if you feel more at home with it, or you may try to explain why you think they are bad. If you try to explain why, then you risk looking like a fool when I explain why you are wrong, so its a bit risky, especially when you know that you are not quite sure that your statement is correct.

I challange you (3 of you) to a theorybane on wizards, in particular, I challange you to explain why these builds are bad!

P.S
Im quite sure ive killed you Dyson(=Skitzers?), but there is a possibility that I havnt if you are one of those who wont leave safezone without the comfort of 9 other players.
I have a signature.

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 am

Change your thread title and I'll consider making you a better player.

And yes, I am infact Skitzer. RIP Dyson.
Crazy Talk GL

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Dyson wrote:Change your thread title and I'll consider making you a better player.

I killed you 5 times on the 2nd playtocrush preview, but yes, practise makes perfekt, so you might actually make me a better player. I need to shorten the time I need to kill you, while wearing stylebane gear, drinking whiskey and playing blindfold with one hand. That might make me better as it offers somewhat of a challange.

Your avoidance from touching anything specific in my templates reveals that you have no clue what you are talking about. Stick to your bird scouts while hiding in a group, you might actually survive running into me one day that way.
I have a signature.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:47 pm

I will take up the gauntlet, drunk, from memory without actually looking at your templates.

You spread yourself too thin on points. No GM stun, root or mage debuffs.
Training fire resist on a character with a fire dispell? What are you worried about, fessor and channy DDs?

Other than that it's little things that suggest you haven't really sat down and thought about how wizards are most efficiently built, and presumably played, points seemingly thrown here and there etc. I haven't used someone else's template for anything since about 05, but I bet 2/3 of the guys critiquing your build here would come up with almost exactly what I would produce for a solo wizard. Idiosyncrasies and aesthetic bias aside.

Basing this off the impression I had when reading the OP a few days ago, but didn't feel the need to post then.

edit - What a mean and wordy drunk I am. :lol:
Now you must build the lies you have told.

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:26 am

RaWqR wrote:
Dyson wrote:Change your thread title and I'll consider making you a better player.

I killed you 5 times on the 2nd playtocrush preview, but yes, practise makes perfekt, so you might actually make me a better player. I need to shorten the time I need to kill you, while wearing stylebane gear, drinking whiskey and playing blindfold with one hand. That might make me better as it offers somewhat of a challange.

Your avoidance from touching anything specific in my templates reveals that you have no clue what you are talking about. Stick to your bird scouts while hiding in a group, you might actually survive running into me one day that way.
I didn't play any of the playtocrush previews. The only preview I played was this last one, for about an hour. I've never actively played a bird scout, I'm a much much more knowledgeable player than you, and I'm willing to help if you admit that you need it.

Abysmal Wizard Templates, then I'll rip them apart for you. kdeal?
Crazy Talk GL

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 am

RaWqR wrote:I challange you (3 of you) to a theorybane on wizards, in particular, I challange you to explain why these builds are bad!
Ajushi said some things, that I had in mind, but there are other, which not everyone knows and I want it to stay like that (I made a promise to one of the most skilled wizard I've ever played with). Judging by the builds Dyson created so far, I respect him as a very experienced template builder. He is a type of person, who actually shares his knowledge with others, so you should take his criticism seriously and you could learn a thing or two.

Anyway on thing I can say, using procs on irekei wizard is not a very good idea, I would strongly advise +15 bleeding resist on a weapon (at least on the offhand). Wizard has no problems with doing dmg, so I don't see why you sacrifice his survivability for it. As a mage (especially without GM stun and GM root), you want to stay at max range from your target as much as possible and using does is quite the opposite.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:55 am

Ajushi wrote:I will take up the gauntlet, drunk, from memory without actually looking at your templates.

You spread yourself too thin on points. No GM stun, root or mage debuffs.
Training fire resist on a character with a fire dispell? What are you worried about, fessor and channy DDs?

Other than that it's little things that suggest you haven't really sat down and thought about how wizards are most efficiently built, and presumably played, points seemingly thrown here and there etc. I haven't used someone else's template for anything since about 05, but I bet 2/3 of the guys critiquing your build here would come up with almost exactly what I would produce for a solo wizard. Idiosyncrasies and aesthetic bias aside.

Basing this off the impression I had when reading the OP a few days ago, but didn't feel the need to post then.

edit - What a mean and wordy drunk I am. :lol:
Maybe you should actually read the templates: I have stun, root and mage debuffs. I have 20 points over from the builds to put into what you want, for example GM stun or root. Why I usually dont go all the way to 40 points in stun and root has been explained in this thread.

Yes fire DD or fire DoT when your dispell is on timer isnt exactly uncommon, but if you think its a waste of 19 points by all means atleast put a single point to get +11 fire resist.
8Shade wrote:
RaWqR wrote:I challange you (3 of you) to a theorybane on wizards, in particular, I challange you to explain why these builds are bad!
Ajushi said some things, that I had in mind, but there are other, which not everyone knows and I want it to stay like that (I made a promise to one of the most skilled wizard I've ever played with). Judging by the builds Dyson created so far, I respect him as a very experienced template builder. He is a type of person, who actually shares his knowledge with others, so you should take his criticism seriously and you could learn a thing or two.

Anyway on thing I can say, using procs on irekei wizard is not a very good idea, I would strongly advise +15 bleeding resist on a weapon (at least on the offhand). Wizard has no problems with doing dmg, so I don't see why you sacrifice his survivability for it. As a mage (especially without GM stun and GM root), you want to stay at max range from your target as much as possible and using does is quite the opposite.
Dyson isnt Dyson, its Skitzer. I recall a bird scout that I killed over and over with all kinds of builds, but apparantly Im mixing him up with someone else since he claims that he doesnt play scouts. Just so you dont mix him up with Dyson, R.I.P.

I have never gotten my hands on bleeding resist throwing daggers with >=+150% atr , and I use throwing daggers if i can wield weapons in both hands. 2 weapons is ofcourse for +atr, allowing me to hit everything in off stance (+50%dmg) after my 2*0.2 sec debuffs, and what I like about throwing daggers is that you can actually kill things with it. If you are low on mana, just hit him with your daggers and he goes down. Trust me, its more useful than you think (Ive had this argument before about proccing throwing daggers and I showed them how useful it actually is).

Resist khans on irekei wizard is also a good choice, depends what you use him for, small scale PvP, GvG or solo PvP and of course it depends on what gear you get your hands on. If i feel like I should opt for more safety I look for resists, but... I almost never feel that way.

What you dont seem to understand is that a wizard played properly is not like any other mage. If you try to stay "as far away as possible" you will get kited and wont get much done. A wizard needs to get to medium distance to land debuffs, SoS and 2 nukes, then get out of there and if the target isnt dead, repeat. A wizard has a little something called teleport. 2 of them. And invisibility (only PR 20 now so bleh...).

"You should take his critizism seriously and you could learn a thing or two" - yes Im sure I can extract alot of information from statements of the sort: "your builds are abysmal, Im better than you". Since Im an adult, I kindly asked him to refrain from childish pickering and explain with any sort of argument that actually touches any of my templates. He just kept going like a child so I dont think he is much to listen to. BTW, I dont think anyone is much more experienced than me in creating templates, Ive done it extensively since 2004, played in many good guilds and used them with success.
Dyson wrote: I didn't play any of the playtocrush previews. The only preview I played was this last one, for about an hour. I've never actively played a bird scout, I'm a much much more knowledgeable player than you, and I'm willing to help if you admit that you need it.

Abysmal Wizard Templates, then I'll rip them apart for you. kdeal?
Grow up kid.
I have a signature.

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 am

RaWqR wrote:BTW, I dont think anyone is much more experienced than me in creating templates, Ive done it extensively since 2004, played in many good guilds and used them with success.
RaWqR wrote:Template 1:
Dark Whispers
Sorcery 137% (91 trains)
Charm of Protection 40 (Grand Master)
Cloak of Obscurity 40 (Grand Master)
Weakening 10 (Adept)
Enfeeblement 13 (Adept)
Spectral Bonds 11 (Neophyte)
Stun 11 (Neophyte)
Greater Translocation 6 (Beginner)
int/con charmed necklace
int/con/sor clothes
RaWqR wrote:Template 2:
Taint of Chaos
Flame Ward 20 (Journeyman)
Spectral Bonds 21 (Journeyman) <--- points can be removed
Weakening 9 (Apprentice) <--- points can be removed
Enfeeblement 9 (Apprentice) <--- points can be removed
Stun 31 (Proficient) <--- points can be removed
Consume the Will 40 (Grand Master)
Word of Power 20 (Journeyman) <--- points can be removed
Conjure Familiar 21 (Journeyman)
Incantation of Augmentation 1 (Untrained)
Incantation of Rejuvenation 1 (Untrained)
Sign of Sorthoth 1 (Untrained)
+int/wiz//spi mana regen clothes
RaWqR wrote:Template 3:
Dark Whispers
Precise
Dagger 45% (2 trains)
Embrace of the Phoenix 20 (Journeyman)
Spectral Bonds 30 (Competent)
Weakening 3 (Beginner)
Enfeeblement 3 (Beginner)
Consume the Will 10 (Adept)
River of Life 1 (Untrained)
+int/fire res/spi mana regen rings
+int of Gods necklace
2 x +atr daggers with proc
+int/sor/spi mana regen clothes
maybe not much more experienced, just much much better. i'm sure you make blood clan proud though.
Crazy Talk GL

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:38 am

Dyson wrote:
RaWqR wrote:BTW, I dont think anyone is much more experienced than me in creating templates, Ive done it extensively since 2004, played in many good guilds and used them with success.
RaWqR wrote:Template 1:
Dark Whispers
Sorcery 137% (91 trains)
Weakening 10 (Adept)
Enfeeblement 13 (Adept)
Spectral Bonds 11 (Neophyte)
Stun 11 (Neophyte)
Greater Translocation 6 (Beginner)
int/con charmed necklace
int/con/sor clothes
RaWqR wrote:Template 2:
Taint of Chaos
Flame Ward 20 (Journeyman)
Spectral Bonds 21 (Journeyman) <--- points can be removed
Weakening 9 (Apprentice) <--- points can be removed
Enfeeblement 9 (Apprentice) <--- points can be removed
Stun 31 (Proficient) <--- points can be removed
Consume the Will 40 (Grand Master)
Word of Power 20 (Journeyman) <--- points can be removed
Sign of Sorthoth 1 (Untrained)
+int/wiz//spi mana regen clothes
RaWqR wrote:Template 3:
Dark Whispers
Precise
Dagger 45% (2 trains)
Embrace of the Phoenix 20 (Journeyman)
Spectral Bonds 30 (Competent)
Weakening 3 (Beginner)
Enfeeblement 3 (Beginner)
Consume the Will 10 (Adept)
River of Life 1 (Untrained)
+int/fire res/spi mana regen rings
+int of Gods necklace
2 x +atr daggers with proc
+int/sor/spi mana regen clothes
maybe not much more experienced, just much much better. i'm sure you make blood clan proud though.
I feel dirty after reading those.

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:47 am

Ajushi wrote:I feel dirty after reading those.
As well you should. When I looked at Dark Whispers I was like, ok maybe he's just bad... then I saw Sorcery at 91 trains and was like oh, he troll.

maybe he's just a test player, who knows
Crazy Talk GL

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:56 am

Dyson wrote:
As well you should. When I looked at Dark Whispers I was like, ok maybe he's just bad... then I saw Sorcery at 91 trains and was like oh, he troll.
91 points add still a percent for one point in ARKANIS calc (after that it costs 2), so if it's different ingame, then the fault could be in the calculator.
Dark Whispers is actually a good rune for at least one type of wizard I know. Anyway he uses it on a vampire, that actually doesn't need stat points that much after maxing con/int and he needs skill points, so I wouldn't say it's actually that bad.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:04 am

Dyson wrote:

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:17 am

8Shade wrote:
Dyson wrote:
91 points add still a percent for one point in ARKANIS calc (after that it costs 2), so if it's different ingame, then the fault could be in the calculator.
Dark Whispers is actually a good rune for at least one type of wizard I know. Anyway he uses it on a vampire, that actually doesn't need stat points that much after maxing con/int and he needs skill points, so I wouldn't say it's actually that bad.
He's took Dark Whispers while only using a 15 Con. He's only 91 (90) trained Sorcery and 29 trained Warding. There's evidence that he's trying to be efficient here, but what he's effectively done is traded 8 usable stat points for 15 trains which as most decent templaters will know is... wait for it... abysmal.

Worse yet he's missing out on Tough Hide at creation because of this, then proceeds to GM his damage absorber. Tough Hide and resists in general are superb on Vampires due to them coming into play after your fortitude. Missing this out at creation and going with "int/con/sor clothes" is... wait for it...
Crazy Talk GL

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:42 am

Dyson wrote:
8Shade wrote:
Dyson wrote: As well you should. When I looked at Dark Whispers I was like, ok maybe he's just bad... then I saw Sorcery at 91 trains and was like oh, he troll.
He's took Dark Whispers while only using a 15 Con. He's only 91 (90) trained Sorcery and 29 trained Warding. There's evidence that he's trying to be efficient here, but what he's effectively done is traded 8 usable stat points for 15 trains which as most decent templaters will know is... wait for it... abysmal.

Worse yet he's missing out on Tough Hide at creation because of this, then proceeds to GM his damage absorber. Tough Hide and resists in general are superb on Vampires due to them coming into play after your fortitude. Missing this out at creation and going with "int/con/sor clothes" is... wait for it...
I didn't study the build closely (so I missed the 15 con rune), because I have other things on my mind (exams tomorrow). About the Tough Hide, thanks for that, I've never thought about that on a vampire, probably because I mainly used them for gvg and we usually were a ranged support group and we were targeted mostly by spells, but it does make sense.

EDIT: There is still a tradeoff for the vamp, if he picks warlord's page and TaN, then he can choose from Tough Hide, Brilliant Mind, Healthy as an Ox (or clever + hearty) or his choice Dark Whispers. I think it depends what you intend to do with the build, physical resists are situational, but you for example BM +10 int you use everytime.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:24 am

8Shade wrote: I didn't study the build closely (so I missed the 15 con rune), because I have other things on my mind (exams tomorrow). About the Tough Hide, thanks for that, I've never thought about that on a vampire, probably because I mainly used them for gvg and we usually were a ranged support group and we were targeted mostly by spells, but it does make sense.

EDIT: There is still a tradeoff for the vamp, if he picks warlord's page and TaN, then he can choose from Tough Hide, Brilliant Mind, Healthy as an Ox (or clever + hearty) or his choice Dark Whispers. I think it depends what you intend to do with the build, physical resists are situational, but you for example BM +10 int you use everytime.

Exactly.

First off, welcome to some sort of adult argumentation Dyson (Skitzer, use ure own damn name). You almost pass for a grown man.
Next, you think that tough hide is better than Dark Whispers, Brilliant Mind or Healthy as an Ox. Tough hide??! +5% melee resists on a wizard who shouldnt get hit by any melee to begin with and if backstabbed or jumped on has the 75% melee resist up?? Thats just plain stupid.

Ive seen this discussion before about taking Dark Whispers, just face it, training points > stat points. Especially if you are really point tight, which mosts builds are if built correctly.
I have a signature.

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 am

RaWqR wrote:you think that tough hide is better than Dark Whispers, Brilliant Mind or Healthy as an Ox. Tough hide??! +5% melee resists on a wizard who shouldnt get hit by any melee to begin with and if backstabbed or jumped on has the 75% melee resist up?? Thats just plain stupid.
lulz
RaWqR wrote:training points > stat points.
derp
RaWqR wrote:Especially if you are really point tight, which mosts builds are if built correctly
trash builds that feel the need to dump trains into garbage become pretty point tight too
RaWqR wrote:Skitzer, use ure own damn name
you first, colest
Crazy Talk GL

Starfish
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Starfish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:44 am

1) Dyson is Dyson
2) I'm Skitzer
3) I didn't play the PTC previews, so you most definitely did not " kill me 5 times "
4) I respect your attempts at creating some templates and sharing them with the community. Kudos to that and I welcome anyone to do the same, it creates some fun discussions. However, randomly sullying my name isn't so nice! And for the record, I don't particularly think any of the templates are good - if requested I can point out as to why I came to that conclusion, but that's up to you.

Pollarixie
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Pollarixie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 am

This whole skitzer being nice charade is boring.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 am

Starfish wrote:1) Dyson is Dyson
2) I'm Skitzer
3) I didn't play the PTC previews, so you most definitely did not " kill me 5 times "
4) I respect your attempts at creating some templates and sharing them with the community. Kudos to that and I welcome anyone to do the same, it creates some fun discussions. However, randomly sullying my name isn't so nice! And for the record, I don't particularly think any of the templates are good - if requested I can point out as to why I came to that conclusion, but that's up to you.
Starfish is skitzer? I just cant keep up with everyones names and aliases. I didnt mean to offend or sullying anyones name (as you should have understood) and it is pretty obvious who im talking to/about from the context (i.e. the person in front of the keyboard and logging in as "Dyson").

I welcome all critizism, tell me why and what you dont like about the templates, but please, read what has been discussed previously so I dont have to repeat myself... Ok, you probably dont have the energy to do that so ill just point it out:

1) GM stun and root is not nessesary imo.
2) Debuffs are good enough to hit everything, but yes, to be on the safeside you can put some more points into enfeeblement and weakening. They are 0.2 sec debuffs and generally I recommend that you GM them. Its easier that way but not nessesary.
3) Dark wispers saves up training points, and I trade stat points for that every day of the week on these builds. Just do the math, training points is way more effective in terms of dmg, atr etc than point in int for example.
4) Only retards waste 12 points on tough hide on a wizard. No offense Dyson, thats a complement for you.
5) There are 20 points missing from the builds that you can put into whatever you like.
I have a signature.

jbroo18
Snobo
Snobo

Post by jbroo18 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Seems best against melee classes, but looks as though it will falter versus any good caster DPS.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:44 pm

jbroo18 wrote:Seems best against melee classes, but looks as though it will falter versus any good caster DPS.
Wizards eat mage assys, if thats what your talking about. If you want, you can opt them vs casters, i just never saw the need. Get the jump and you win, if the other person gets the jump, tele out. To survive the 9 sec stun you use resists and a decent HP pool. On the irekei you got a HoT, put some cold resists on and you're golden.
I have a signature.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 am

Not sure that HoT is going to be a lot of use vs a MA. If a non stun immune wizzy gets caught in anything but D stance by a reasonably decent MA, they should be waking up at their ToL in a few moments, unless they are running around with 50+ to cold.

Pollarixie
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Pollarixie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Lol. Cold damage mage assassinz.

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Shade, son. You stay away from me with that filthy elf talk.

Pollarixie
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Pollarixie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:45 pm

I was going to bring my awesome witty poems over here, but I'm too lazy.

Shades are cool. Elves are better.
Assassins are too, but bards always will be my favorite.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Ok, build them anyway you want, build em as "Dyson" suggests and struggle, learn, and reroll, or build them as I suggested and have fun and rule. Make a mage assy if you like shadowmantling, they are nice too, but dont challange a wizard built as I build them.
I have a signature.

Pollarixie
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Pollarixie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:06 pm

You have mage stealth trained. You're obviously not trying to have fun.

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:04 am

Pollarixie wrote:You have mage stealth trained. You're obviously not trying to have fun.
Make a channy or a fury pollarixie :)
I have a signature.

Return to “Wizard, Arcane Master”