IV: Character Creation
V: Noob Island
VI: Importance of Guilds
VII: The Mainland
VII: Resources
VII: Epilogue

INTRODUCTION

“I don’t think we’re in Kansas any more Toto !” - Dorothy, Wizard of Oz

Well hello there random internet surfing gamer ! So you stumbled upon Shadowbane and you like the look of what you see here? Want to try your hand at Playing to Crush? I’ll warn you right now - we are an intense bunch. “Play to Crush” isn’t just an idle slogan, here it’s a lifestyle !

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Cryfowl and a pretty darn good Aracoix (birdman) scout. I’ll be an ally for the remainder of this guide should you want, just watch the feathers and don’t touch my bow.

So what’s next? How about : “What is Shadowbane ?.”

Shadowbane is the greatest sandbox PvP oriented MMORPG game in the history of the internet. Players form guilds and carve out cities and empires on an ever changing map. From the moment you step off of the noob island and enter the playing world you will be fair game and it will be fight or be killed. The game is wonderfully diverse and although the learning curve is steep you soon learn to love the competition. There is zero “questing” in Shadowbane and PvE is only used to level up your character. You might even make a few friends along the way but I guarantee you will make an enemy the first day!

If all this sounds too intense then you can always go and check out Hello Kitty. I’ve even provided a handy escape hatch for you right here !

http://www.hellokittyonline.com

If you’ve got what it takes to rise to this challenge then by all means let’s get started !

THE BEGINNING:

“If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious s**t.” -Doc, Back to the Future

Ok, Let’s get the ball rolling. There are a few steps you need to take before you craft your first character and slay some evil PvPers. I’ll lay these out quickly in a step-by-step process for you and then we can delve into the game itself.

1) Create a forum account.

So you found your way into these forums and want to try it out great ! Just click that handy “register” link. Create your desired name and password. Cry’s Helpful Hints #1 : write this down somewhere you will need it later! You’re going to need a real email account too. After verifying the new account through your email start by logging in. Once you are logged in you should read the FAQ as well as the other noob guides out there. One last thing to look at is the “user control panel”. The link is at the top of the page - first line below SBEmu at the far left. From this page you can set up all your personal preferences in the forums. Let’s go on to step 2!

2)Aquire the Shadowbane Client

Every couple of days some noob will post a thread in the forums “where can I find the download ???” It never fails. I know you don’t want to be that guy ! So I am going to tell you how to get that download without having to suffer the disdain and ridicule that that other poor guy will get heaped upon him.

For legal reasons our developers do not distribute the Shadowbane client directly themselves. What you need is the latest patched version of the client. If you google the download you might not get the latest one so just use the search feature right here in the forums. Search “ Client download” and you will return a whole bunch of results listing those words. What you need here is one of the community members who has a link to the latest download in their signature. Thankfully there are many who have it. Just make sure it’s the latest version and that it works with your operating system.

Find one of those members comments in any of their forum postings and follow the link in their signature. Once you’ve downloaded it all Unzip the file and open it up because we have a few adjustments to make before it will work.

Right about now you should be looking at a huge list of the files inside the Shadowbane program. The very first thing you need to do is find the “config” file. Open it then find the ArcaneIP file. Open this file using notepad or any other text editing program when prompted which program to use. Delete everything that is in the ArcaneIP file. Next copy and paste this information into the ArcaneIP file.

SERVER= SB-LS.ShadowbaneEmulator.com
PORT= 6000

It’s important that you get it exact. Even the spaces matter. Once this is done close that file and return to the original Shadowbane file. About ¾ of the way down the list of files you’ll see SB (It‘s actually SB.exe but you might not see that exact name). It has the little axe icon. This is the file you will launch from NOT the regular patcher! Create a shortcut to this file and put it on your desktop for easy access. Double clicking it will start the game and after a few company logo’s and the game movie trailer (pretty cool check it out) you will find yourself on a login screen.

3) Server account

This is where writing down your forum account name and password comes in. Right now your server account information is the same as your forum account! So use the same name and password. Caps - numbers etc. are included so be sure it’s exact or it won’t work! Once you’ve logged into the game step through those cemetery gates and you will be looking at a screen with a number of character slots on it. You will always start from here and can create new toons or, log in existing ones or change from one toon to another from this screen.

Should you desire to create another account if you have filled one up simply add “underscore 2” ( IE:Cryfowl_2) to the back of your name and “viola’” you are in another account. If you’ve gotten this far you are good to go!

BRIEF INTERLUDE

"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."
- Steven Wright

Before you dive right in and roll up your first Shadowbane toon let’s take a moment to relax and take a deep breath. There is an old poker adage that states: “If you sit down at a poker table and you don’t know who the sucker is, your it.” Again, I don’t want you to be that guy so with my help you might still be a noob but perhaps you won’t be a helpless noob.

There is a huge diversity of available races, classes, disciplines etc. available to play in Shadowbane. If you take into account the multitude of different combinations of different ways to build all of those toons you realize that the total possibilities are endless. That’s NOT to say that all of those toons are good or in the least bit viable characters that will survive more than 10 seconds in any conflict. So let’s use this time to browse the forums and look into some of the different classes you might want to play.

Let’s start with you. If you have played other MMORPG games in the past you know the basics about the different base classes: fighter, healer, mage, rogue. You should definitely start with what you enjoy playing. Next chose your desired class. You should do a little reading first though and try to pick out one of the classes that are at least a little noob friendly. Here is a quick list of a couple in each of the base classes that I would suggest for a beginner. For the most part these are probably some of the more survivable and less complex toons in the game.

Rogue: Thief, Scout, Ranger
Healer: Prelate, Crusader, Druid
Fighter: Warrior, Ranger, Barbarian
Mage: Wizard, Channeler, Necromancer

You should definitely stay away from the support classes such as priest and bard - not only are they NOT designed for offensive abilities (meaning you will have one hell of a time trying to kill anything with them and thus struggle to level them alone) but they are also extremely complex toons to build and play effectively. For that matter there are several other classes in game that are difficult to master. I’d stay away from Mage Assassins, Fury, Doomsayer and a few others until you get a little game experience.

If for some strange suicidal reason you absolutely have your heart set on trying a support class right off the bat then you should check out my personal Introductory guide to those :

http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/forum ... f=15&t=224

Hopefully that will scare you away from going down that hard road.

Great ! You figured out which toon sounds cool for you. Now you should next do some more reading in the forums about that class. There are two places to go. First look in the “GUIDES” section. Many of the more popular classes have entire guides written for them. Here is an example for the Scout:

http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/forum ... f=15&t=540

If you can’t find one for your toon then the next place to go is the “CLASSES” forum. Here you will find at least a few threads containing builds and discussions about every toon available in game. As a last resort you could also go to the MorlochWiki (Yup! This game has it’s very own wiki !) and find a few generic templates there.

A template is what you’re after here. Write it down, copy and save one or scribble it in crayon on your desktop - just be sure to save it. This template will be the basic foundation and guide for you while leveling, building and training your toon. It will help you stay at least within sight of the proper path and in the end you will have at least a playable character instead of just randomly assigning training/stat points picking out skills and ultimately tossing out that toon later because you realize it was laughable. Don’t believe me? Trust me we all did it (myself included :roll: ) and there are even threads in the forums all about the hilarious toons every noob first tries to build. Cry’s Helpful Hint’s #2 - Be sure to notice the age of the template you’ve chosen. Try to find a modern one if at all possible. The game has evolved greatly over the years and what might have been awesome in 2004 will likely be utterly useless now.

One last thing to do here and we can build that toon! Definitely look at the Morlochwiki sections that begin to explain some of the mechanics of the game. You don’t need to memorize it all but you should learn what does what and why this stat affects that. The roles of defense and Attk Rating, and especially starting traits!

CHARACTER CREATION

“Let’s kick the tires and light the fires !” - Old Air Force saying

Let’s go back to that very first screen with in the game with those new character tabs on it. Click on one and let’s go through building the Shadowbane you!

The very first thing that will pop up is “select starting world” - in other words which server do you want to be on. SBEmu will likely only be running one server so that’s not a hard choice. If “TEST” is available you probably don’t want that one unless you know someone who is already playing there. Cry’s Helpful Hints #3: Assuming you have friends and that one of those tipped you off about this awesome game; if there are more than one server available you need to know which server your friend(s) play on. Each server is it’s own independent world and there is no way to transfer toons from one to another. So click on the server of your choice and let’s build a toon!

Now go to the upper left corner and click on name. This one’s straightforward enough choose a name and the sex of your character. Note: Some classes of toons are sex restrictive: Fury, Huntress must be female. Warlocks can only be male. You can also change the server you selected from this tab as well. Once you’ve finished the toon this will be permanent though. Cry’s Helpful Hints #4: Choose your name carefully. Do not choose anything with Cry in it or I will hunt you down and kill you repetitively just on general principal !

Next choose your race. Consult your template here. All of the different races have a stat point cost but also come with some cool racial abilities. Race will also affect the classes available. IE: Centaurs cannot be Rogues.

Now you need to choose your base class. Again consult your template. Below the classes available for the race you’ve chosen is a list of available professions your toon will be able to promote to so be sure what you want is available on that list. Again not every race can choose every profession even if they can choose the base class. IE: Irekie can be mages but not Necromancers. Lastly click on the “starting traits” button and let that menu pop up. Don’t choose any just yet we’ll come back to it in a second.

I guess It’s time we talk about Stats. On the upper right side of the screen you see the starting stats for your character. In case you didn’t notice they were changing around while you were choosing race, class etc. But now that you’ve chosen those it’s time to play with the stat points. “What are those ? ? “you ask. Sorry. I guess I am getting ahead of myself and forgetting you are brand new to the game. Let’s cover the basics of those.

Like other online games Shadowbane uses Stats. They cover your toon’s abilities. We have Strength(Str) , Dexterity(Dex), Constitution(Con), Intelligence(Int), and Spirit(Spr). These stats affect a wide range of things about your toon and it is vitally important that you build these right. Once again consult your template. You will notice that the template probably calls for you building up only two of those stats and ignores the rest. This is pretty typical. The reason for this is that those other stats simply don’t help that type of toon so they are ignored. Here is a basic break down of some (not all though) of what each of the stats do:

Strength: Primary stat for damage and attack rating for any weapons that use STR as base. Dictates amount of weight a toon can carry.
Dexterity: Primary stat for damage and attack rating for any weapons that use DEX as base. Primary influence on maximum Defensive rating.
Constitution: Determines the amount of health and stamina your toon has.
Intelligence: Affects the maximum damage of all spells. Also affects the maximum level you can train skill to as well as raises the level of all skills.
Spirit: Determines the minimum spell damage and total amounts of mana your toon has.

I suppose a detailed example is need here so you get an idea of the “Why” behind stat points and your template. Suppose you have chosen to make an Aracoix Scout who will use a bow. The template will probably call for lot’s of DEX with a little bit into INT and the rest of your points into CON. The reasons are this. The Aracoix scout will likely rely on a fairly high Defensive rating to survive. He’s also using a bow and both of those are dictated by a high DEX number. All characters will have to put at least a little bit into INT in order to raise up the training levels to desired levels. Putting the remainder of the stat points into CON gives that bird scout more health and stamina and thus more survivability. That aracoix would have absolutely no reason to put any points into STR or SPI as they would not help that character at all. Let’s get back to rolling that toon.

Notice the + and - signs next to each stat. You can remove up to 5 points from each and you can add as many as you’d like to each. There is a small pool of stat points you have available to spend at the bottom of that box. Each race is going to be different. I would suggest you remove 5 from all stats. You will be using these stat points to “buy” your starting traits. Consult your template again here ! It might conveniently say something like “take 5 from all but STR”. If so by all means do what it says.

Now that you have adjusted your stat points you can “buy” those starting traits. Starting traits are essential to your toon. Some of the abilities here are awesome and can be gotten no where else in the game. Others are complete garbage. Your template should have which traits you’ll need. Read each of them and decide which you want for your toon. Try to stay with the ones that increase your main stats as they are the most valuable. After you’ve picked your starting traits you might have left over stat points. You can use them right now by adding them to a stat or you can leave them. Any extras will carry over in game and you can spend them later. One last thing to do and we can get in game! Cry’s Helpful Hints #5: You really do need to do more research and reading regarding stats and starting traits in the near future. These are vitally important for any toon and it’s impossible for me to cover them all here. Hopefully you have a basic understanding on how they work and that’ll do for now.

Lastly choose your looks. Whatever you like works here the only vital one is gear. Choose whatever weapon you plan on using later on. All set? ? Click finished and the comp will check to see if your name is available. If so you are all done and the comp will return you to the character selection page. Notice the server status to the right of your toon if the server is up you can click on your toon and then enter world.

NOOB ISLAND

“No boats, no lights, no motor car, not a single luxury, like Robison Caruso it’s as primitive as can be. . . “
- Gilligan’s Island Theme

Congrats ! You’ve come a long way, You’re doing well. So you find yourself standing around in a new town wondering what’s next. You can relax You are safe for now. All new characters start off on Noob Island and there is no PvP here. Once you get up to level 20 you will be forced to go over to the mainland and life will get a lot harder but for now you are safe.

Take a moment to play with the buttons on screen and learn what they do. You need to know that the “ESC” button on your keyboard is default to bring up the games master menu. If you accidentally close out an onscreen window and want it back you can retrieve them from “ windows” in that master menu. Take a quick look at the various options in that menu and then play around with buttons in your “hotbar” If you desire you can drag these out onto your screen. The important ones are trade and powers you will use those the most. At this point you might also want to take a moment to set up our screen layout. There is a link to a tutorial video all about this in the resources section below.

You will notice a bunch of tutorial windows popping up for a while. I suggest you read them as they will cover a lot of the games basics. I’ll try to give you a few pointers to make this easier for you as well.

In this town you will notice a variety of NPC’s standing around. They all do different things. Some are trainers for the classes. Others are vendors for items and you can sell loot to them or buy /repair gear. The other important NPC in town is the Runemaster and they are always located in the center of town. The runemaster allows you to teleport to other towns around the map and this is essential. Cry’s Helpful Hints #6 : DO NOT go over to the mainland just yet ! Consult the map and stick to noob isle for now. If you do port over to the mainland you can always teleport back to noob isle if you are under level 20.

You will be leveling up your toon by killing monsters (mobs). The first few are just outside of town. Each time you level up you will receive more stat points to spend and also training points. You can spend the stat points by bringing up you player stats on screen. You should do this immediately because by plunking stat points into your main stats you will immediately start doing more damage. The training points must be spent at a trainer in town.

So run outside of town a find a few mobs to kill! Notice each kill gives you Experience points. Be sure to loot your kills for gold and items. The gear you find on them can be sold for more gold. As you get higher in the levels the mobs you kill will change color in your targeting bar. Once they turn white they are too low for you and no longer give up exp when killed. You’ll have to find a new camp with tougher mobs. You will be continuing on this way until you hit level 20 and must go to the mainland.

I have a few advanced strategies for you on noob Isle.

1) Most folks on Noob isle are friendly. Sure, you might run into a few elitist jerks but most will be nice around here. All the veterans just want to get through noob isle as quickly as possible. Chat with as many people as you can and be sure to join groups! Exp points are shared with all members in groups so groups are vital if you want to level up quickly!

2) Upon reaching level 10 you will be prompted to go back into town and promote to a profession. DON’T. You can actually stay put and kill more mobs while gaining exp. Notice your exp bar will run into negative numbers. You can bank up to 3 levels worth before the exp stops. When it does stop then go back to town and promote. In order to promote to a specific profession you need to find that trainer. From now on you will always go back to that class trainer for all your needs. Promoting to a profession is permanent and can not be changed once done! Now go outside of town and kill 3 mobs and magically gain 3 more levels !

3) Spend as little gold as possible. You need to save up as much as possible from level 1-10 to buy a couple critical items that will help make the second half of noob isle easier. The only thing you should spend on is taking your main weapon up to 25% (no further for now) or your main spell if you are a caster. Don’t be tempted to buy weapons or armor you can loot what you need off of mobs. Need a bow? Kill mobs sporting bows ! Once you need to promote go the capital city on noob isle (it’s the bigger one on the map and it’s centrally located) to find the class trainers. Also in the capitol you can find a potion vendor. You want a “greater concoction” potion. This potion is huge and will allow you to breeze through noob island with all the buffs it gives you. If you have a little cash left over there is one more thing that will help. Teleport over to “Sea Dogs Rest” It’s on the mainland but it’s a NPC safe zone city (you must be level 10 or higher). Just don’t go outside of town. Once there find the cloth vendor. They sell hats that will also give you a great stat bonus and require no training to wear. The speedy shoes are good to have on noob isle as well if you have enough gold. Now hurry back to noob island and level up to 20!

4) Upon hitting 15 you gain “stances” read all about them and use them they are vital during combat! Stances and their affects are different for each toon but they are awesome in terms of buffing things like accuracy, damage output and defensive rating.

5) Going from 13-20 is the hardest part of noob isle. You definitely want a group for this. Finding the higher level mobs is tougher too. Consult your map (M key on keyboard by default) and notice the level ranges for the various zones go there to finish off your last few levels. Once you hit 20 you will automatically be kicked out of your noob island guild and forced to go to the mainland. Cry’s Helpful Hints #7: If you make that little side trip of to Sea Dog’s Rest (SDR) then you can also pledge to them. Drop your current guild and pledge to SDR at the runemaster. If you are under level 20 you can still port back over to noob isle. Without mainland guild tags you will be kicked out to “errant status” upon hitting 20. You can avoid this by using SDR guild tags (or a player owned guild) and stay on noob island for a few more easy levels without ever being forced to go errant.

So now you are level 20. AWESOME! :D It’s time to experience what Shadowbane is all about. On to the mainland - but first let’s talk about guilds.

IMPORTANCE OF GUILDS

“Say hello to my little friend . . . !!!!” - Scarface

Joining a guild is absolutely essential in Shadowbane. While you could play this game solo to do so would be missing out on the most important aspect of the game; Warfare! Playing the game solo is also more than twice as difficult. A guild is your family and your home town. It provides you a base of operations and support system in the game. As a new player, your guild will also help you with the steep learning curve and speed up your Shadowbane education. Your solo adventures can always come later in your Shadowbane career. You should definitely join a guild at your first opportunity.

“How do I do that?” you ask.

Well, I suppose that I should give you a few tools in your quest for a guild. First off upon reaching the mainland you might be entirely guildless. This is called errant and you don’t want this. Being errant (solid gray shield icons) reduces your gained exp by ½. Definitely not good. To start with you can go to any NPC owned town on the mainland. King’s Cross and Sea Dog’s Rest are two such towns but there are others. These NPC towns are safe zones so you can’t be killed in town. You can pledge to any of these NPC towns at the runemaster and you should do so if you are errant. This is a good start but you need a real guild ASAP! The public guilds are NOT a family and can not siege other towns nor be sieged although you can possibly find groups of other low toons to go out and level with. Just be careful ! The only public guild available once you reach lvl 40 is SDR.

Ideally you want a real guild. There are many things you can do. The first thing is talk with other players in game starting off on noob island! Always be up front with your beginner status and never outright beg for guild membership but a polite “Is your guild recruiting new players?” is always acceptable. You can also flag yourself in game with a “Looking for guild” icon. This will let others know you have no home guild and would like one. Guilds who have recruiters in game will look for players tagged “looking” first and will probably send you a tell.

Another way to find a guild is to actively search for them. They advertise in several places. The first is in game. Using the search player “who” button in game (on the hotbar of keys) you might see a players name who has “recruiting” flagged behind their name. They represent a guild looking for people so by all means send them a tell ! The other place guilds advertise is in the “guilds” section in the forums. You can read all about them and if they recruit new players there on the forums. If you find one send them a message via the forums or attempt to contact them in game by searching for a player in that guild. There are usually one or more guilds that will openly recruit anyone - DRAGONSCALE has been around forever and while they probably are not the best guild in the game they are a good place for a beginner to call a first home.

One last option you could take is to make your own guild. This is a pretty ambitions path. A guild charter can be purchased from vendors and you can be your very own guild leader. Start recruiting people to join you and then pledge your guild to a NPC town for a home base. The next step is to dive into the political fray because you’ll need the support of an established guild / nation in order to lay siege to and capture a town of your own. In Shadowbane we have a term for the political warfare that is unending in the forums: “ForumBane.” This is a huge part of the ever shifting alliances in game and could very well determine the fate of your fledgling guild.

All guilds in Shadowbane will use a VOIP program such as Ventrilo. You will need a headset but these programs are free. Speaking with your guild mates in real time is essential if you want to compete at any serious level and you will make friends quickly as you spend time together. Any serious guild you join will likely require to you join them with Ventrilo as well as give you access to their website.

Should you be a guild leader (GL) you could even build a city if you are playing at server start up or if a nation destroys a city. There are a limited number of city slots per zone on the map and they will always be full (except at server start up) so the only way to plant your own tree of life (TOL) is to raze someone else’s city ! You must own a city in order to be able to siege( bane) other towns or claim resource mines. At first glance this might seem like a catch 22 but all you need to do is pledge your guild to an existing nation / guild with a city. Be careful though. The map is ever changing and exists 24 hours a day. There is no pause button in Shadowbane and what you’ve taken be taken from you just as quickly. The taking and holding of resource mines on the map is essential in order for your guild to obtain the resources necessary for building, expanding and crafting items. Most likely you would ally your guild to an established nation at least temporarily in order to get a good start.

Ultimately the main focus of Shadowbane is warfare. Guilds form up and make nations and nations team up and war against each other for politics, territory, resources, sometimes just for the hell of it. You will definitely remember the first bane you attend. There is nothing like witnessing 100 players running around a battlefield trying to capture / defend someone’s city. This is the endgame. Your toon exists for no other purpose other than to reach level 75 (the max level in SB) and participate in one way or another in the carnage whether 1v1, group vs.. group or nation vs. nation. Once you have completely leveled up a toon they will likely never PvE again unless farming. Cry’s Helpful Hints #8 While any guild is better than no guild , and most times better than a public guild you should opt for one that already has a home city. Joining a guild whose GL is 12 years old, has 4 total members and no home town is going to be a challenge.

The Mainland

“Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of . . . Inevitability. That is the sound of your death.”
- Agent Smith, The Matrix

Well you have certainly come a long ways. You’re making good progress. Now that you are on the mainland you should be looking for a guild to call home. But there are still things to do.

Like my movie quote at the beginning of this section says, your death will be inevitable. It’s going to happen. Don’t let it upset you. Some folks in this game actively prey on lowbies like yourself. Use the rage you feel when that level 75 scout kills your level 32 to fuel your desire to learn the game. Just make a note of their name / guild and get them back eventually ! :lol:

Number one is keep leveling. Ultimately you want to hit level 75 that is the cap. You can continue leveling by going to the different zones and killing more mobs. The only safe zones on he mainland are inside the NPC cities. EVERYWHERE else is full contact pvp so watch out! You can travel around the map in several ways. Friends can summon you. You can always run. You can also Port to cities with the rune masters at the ToL. All of the NPC safe cities will be available to you and there may even be a few player owned merchant cities available as well (those will always be PvP zones so beware) You can also travel via the rune gates although to use the gates full potential you need the Discipline Traveler.

As you level up you are going to keep an eye out for upgrading your gear as well as acquiring the other important things you need towards building your toon like Discipline and Stat runes. Almost everything in the game can be looted off of mobs but the very best gear is referred to as “resource rolled” and can only be crafted. You will from time to time loot odd things like resources, offerings, vendor contracts, discipline or stat runes etc. If it’s not something you’ve seen commonly you should bank it immediately. Some things are quite valuable and fetch millions in gold. Cry’s Helpful Hints #9: Vampire Tailor, Bounty Hunter, Gladiator, Traveler, blocks of Obsidian, Godly Int, Godly Con, +5 Int (can only be found on noob isle), and most elite gear items (Vorgrim LA and Bellaugh MA) are all some of the items worth over a million so bank them quickly!

You will find that some things such as Discipline runes and the elite armor are rare and hard to find. These items will drop only from one specific mob at one location. You can find these locations through morlochwiki. Some of them will also be hotly contested and when attempting to get them you are sure to find an opponent waiting for you. Be ready to fight for the more popular ones.

Another benefit of guild membership is access to the forges and crafting system. The best gear can be tailor made at forges but they require a recipe of resources. There is also an active economy here in Shadowbane. Sea dog’s Rest is the outdoor flea market in the world of Shadowbane. Cry’s Helpful Hints #10: Never! - I repeat - Never! Accept an invitation to group from anyone you don’t know while in SDR. You will be mugged! This is an old, old con that preys on newbies like yourself.

Players buy and sell almost everything by standing around and shouting out their wares. There are also player owned merchant cities (all will be PvP zones) open to the public to shop at. Be aware this is going to be an expensive route. A cheaper alternative to resource rolled gear is the elite gear which can only be looted and most is equal to if not better that rolled gear. It will always be contested though so be prepared for a fight.

Don’t forget to repair your gear after you die. Once on the mainland anytime you leave a safe zone your inventory is at risk. Should you die, anything you carry (not equipped) will fall on your tombstone upon death. This is the huge attraction for PvP so bank often and always loot that tombstone when you win a fight.

Keep looking for a guild. Keep working to finish your build as outlined by your template. Learn what skills your toon has to survive and kill. From 20-75 on your first toon is going to be one huge learning experience. Cry’s helpful Hints #11: Do try to stick to your template and don’t wander too far from it. In the end you may very well decide to scrap that first toon and build lots of others. Leveling up your toons is ridiculously easy in Shadowbane compared to other games. Once you are established in a guild and know a little bit about the game you can usually level toons up to 75 in a matter of days or even hours. There will always be time to experiment with all the builds your heart desires after you have learned the game.

Resources

“The Internet . ? ? Is that old thing still around ? “
- Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Here are a few handy links for reference.

Morloch wiki main page: http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/i ... =Main_Page
Morloch Wiki Elite Gear reference: http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/i ... lite_Armor
Morloch Wiki game formulae: http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/i ... e=Formulas
SBEmu class forums:http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/forum ... m.php?f=18
SBEmu Discipline forums:http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/i ... e=Formulas
SBEmu Guild forums: http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/forum ... m.php?f=19
SBEmu Guides forums:http://www.shadowbaneemulator.com/forum ... m.php?f=15
Rivkah’s Shadowbane notes: (a very old site and very broken however still has some interesting reading)
http://www.anybrowser.org/shadowbane/
Shadowbane Character Calculator: Pyetrek’s Calc: http://www.anybrowser.org/shadowbane/
Ventrilo homepage:http://www.ventrilo.com/
YouTube video on making a Shadowbane screen layout:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH4ip0Og87c

Epilogue

“Listen to the whispers
and the teardrops in the rain.
This evening’s ripe with memory
mixed with a little ,bitter pain.

See the soft moonlight
slipping through the trees.
And as this rain keeps falling down,
it all start coming back to me.”
- author, untitled preface

Copyright - 1991

Well friend, it’s time we parted ways. Our journey together has reached it’s end. Hopefully we will meet again on the battlefield. Perhaps as friends, Probably as foes. I tend to wander the wilderness’ and wild places in search of rare and valuable items so you can always look for me there. I am often times noob friendly so shouting out: “I read your guide and loved it!!! “ exuberantly just might save your life - then again it might not.

Cry’s Helpful Hints #12: Always learn from your losses and use the rage upon defeat as fuel for the learning. Someday you too will be among the ranks of veteran Shadowbane killers.

- Cryfowl

JohnCoffey
Snobo
Snobo

Re: Newbie Guide, by Cryfowl

Post by JohnCoffey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 pm

This was a great guide and was highly informative, made my first few weeks when I first got my term very easy when I was in the yard.

IC of tsf
first level 75 on Braialla

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Amazing guide. This is how it should look like. Still would be good to explain tracking system (otherwise running blind after leaving newbie island most likely equals death). There should be a note about banking your items immediately after leaving the newbie island (for their sake). Another small note is that blue font on the grey background hurts my eyes. Anyway great work!!!

Ridem
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Ridem » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Great Guide!
Wish i had read it bevor i started playing.
- i made a balanced build, trained this and that
- joined a group at SDR :shock:
- tried to solo on mainland
- almost got a heart attack the first times i got killed :roll:

ah memories

regards

Ridem

RaWqR
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RaWqR » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 pm

8Shade wrote:Amazing guide. This is how it should look like. Still would be good to explain tracking system (otherwise running blind after leaving newbie island most likely equals death). There should be a note about banking your items immediately after leaving the newbie island (for their sake). Another small note is that blue font on the grey background hurts my eyes. Anyway great work!!!
This! Superb guide otherwise!
Maybe we should try to find an easier way to download the client for noobs than clicking peoples signatures though...
I have a signature.

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Cryfowl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Many thanks to all who enjoyed my work. I am glad you think it's worthy and I hope that it will help future newbies to owr beloved game.

I do wish I had the power to edit it and put in a few of these suggestions (yep that blue font really does hurt the eyes) alas I cannot.

-Cry
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

MikeDizzle
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by MikeDizzle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Also congratz to you Cryfowl, your guide was well deserved and hopefully people can look at both our guides and can get different perspectives about the game. My favorite are your helpful hints I know if I was a noob these hints would be the center focus of me not being a newbie.

Namosa
5v5 Champion
5v5 Champion

Post by Namosa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 am

Fantastic guide.

SB Character Creator
EXCEL http://www.tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator
Open Office http://tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator-OO

Shadowbane client DL (PW: shadowbane)
Direct Download

Daggertime
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Daggertime » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:28 am

For legal reasons our developers do not distribute the Shadowbane client directly themselves. What you need is the latest patched version of the client. If you google the download you might not get the latest one so just use the search feature right here in the forums. Search “ Client download” and you will return a whole bunch of results listing those words. What you need here is one of the community members who has a link to the latest download in their signature. Thankfully there are many who have it. Just make sure it’s the latest version and that it works with your operating system.

Find one of those members comments in any of their forum postings and follow the link in their signature. Once you’ve downloaded it all Unzip the file and open it up because we have a few adjustments to make before it will work.

Right about now you should be looking at a huge list of the files inside the Shadowbane program. The very first thing you need to do is find the “config” file. Open it then find the ArcaneIP file. Open this file using notepad or any other text editing program when prompted which program to use. Delete everything that is in the ArcaneIP file. Next copy and paste this information into the ArcaneIP file.

SERVER= SB-LS.ShadowbaneEmulator.com
PORT= 6000

It’s important that you get it exact. Even the spaces matter. Once this is done close that file and return to the original Shadowbane file. About ¾ of the way down the list of files you’ll see SB (It‘s actually SB.exe but you might not see that exact name). It has the little axe icon. This is the file you will launch from NOT the regular patcher! Create a shortcut to this file and put it on your desktop for easy access. Double clicking it will start the game and after a few company logo’s and the game movie trailer (pretty cool check it out) you will find yourself on a login screen.

yo, some people cant just do it that way... They have win 7 or something messed up like that... they will have to click and drag the config file to windows screen, and edit it there, then move it back into the file after its saved..
I NEEDS A SIG HALP MEH!!!!!
BACON STRIPS!
BACON STRIPS!
MORE BACON STRIPS!
WE CANDY THAT Skah!!
BECAUSE ITS SMART!!!!

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 am

This is something I found at old ubi forums. It should be useful too. (from Angelmar's Comprehensive guide):

SB slang:
evac = needs to be summoned asap
rfs = ready for summon
Inc = incoming summon or sometimes incoming enemy
Ot = enemy on track
Ds = death shroud
Imo = in my opinion
Imho = in my humble/honest opinion
omw = on my way
brt = be right there
kite = engaging a target without actually ever allowing them to close to melee range, through the use of snares
buffbot = a character that has nothing trained except buffs.
coord = map coordinants
R1= Character that is between level 10-19
R2= Character that is between level 20-29
R3= Character that is between level 30-39
R4= Character that is between level 40-49
R5= Character that is between level 50-59
R6= Character that is between level 60-69
R7= Character that is between level 70-75
gimp = a character build or a player that isn't very good
pb = powerblock
nuke = direck damage spell
DoT= damage over time
PL = powerlevel
plbot = character designed only to power level.
pks = hostile players
mob = any killable npc
stack = large number of players in one small area
Zerg = A very large number of people (who outnumber another group)
atr = attack rating
disc = discipline
grp = group
RoC = Rise of Chaos expansion island. Refers to the island Maelstrom on the map.
Oblivion= throne of oblivion expansion island usually refers to the island itself.

Memnon
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Memnon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:01 am

Outstanding job Cryfowl.

v/r,

Mem

Namosa
5v5 Champion
5v5 Champion

Post by Namosa » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 pm

JohnCoffey wrote:This was a great guide and was highly informative, made my first few weeks when I first got my term very easy when I was in the yard.

[ Image ]

this man is hilarious, he should post more often.

SB Character Creator
EXCEL http://www.tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator
Open Office http://tinyurl.com/sbcharcreator-OO

Shadowbane client DL (PW: shadowbane)
Direct Download

Danijaldd
Snobo
Snobo

Hi

Post by Danijaldd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:36 am

Does anyone of you know when sb server will be up?

JimBeaver
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by JimBeaver » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 am

Memnon wrote:Outstanding job Cryfowl.

v/r,

Mem
Agreed.

love,

Jim

[Let's not post profanity, thanks]
JimBeaver - R7 Half-Giant Barbarian
GetOffMyLawn - R4 Minotaur Doomsayer
Erik the Asslord - R5 Aelfborn Prelate

Pinothyj
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Pinothyj » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:04 am

8Shade wrote:This is something I found at old ubi forums. It should be useful too. (from Angelmar's Comprehensive guide):

SB slang:
evac = needs to be summoned asap
rfs = ready for summon
Inc = incoming summon or sometimes incoming enemy
Ot = enemy on track
Ds = death shroud
Imo = in my opinion
Imho = in my humble/honest opinion
omw = on my way
brt = be right there
kite = engaging a target without actually ever allowing them to close to melee range, through the use of snares
buffbot = a character that has nothing trained except buffs.
coord = map coordinants
R1= Character that is between level 10-19
R2= Character that is between level 20-29
R3= Character that is between level 30-39
R4= Character that is between level 40-49
R5= Character that is between level 50-59
R6= Character that is between level 60-69
R7= Character that is between level 70-75
gimp = a character build or a player that isn't very good
pb = powerblock
nuke = direck damage spell
DoT= damage over time
PL = powerlevel
plbot = character designed only to power level.
pks = hostile players
mob = any killable npc
stack = large number of players in one small area
Zerg = A very large number of people (who outnumber another group)
atr = attack rating
disc = discipline
grp = group
RoC = Rise of Chaos expansion island. Refers to the island Maelstrom on the map.
Oblivion= throne of oblivion expansion island usually refers to the island itself.
Do not forget srfs (summoner ready for summons)...

Monky
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Monky » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

Cool

skigoboom
Snobo
Snobo

Post by skigoboom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm

still reading and reading and reading! will help me out alot. Thanks!

Cryfowl
Snow Terror
Snow Terror

Post by Cryfowl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 pm

skigoboom wrote:still reading and reading and reading! will help me out alot. Thanks!
Then it was all worth it. if your in CB shout out to me and ill throw in some powerleveling
*** DEMOLITIONS EXPERT *** LOOKING FOR GROUP *** GOOD WITH WALLS ***

ymazaki
Snobo
Snobo

Post by ymazaki » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:23 am

upup :lol:

Jaroo
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Jaroo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:23 pm

nice, all is said

gavinshang1
Snobo
Snobo

Post by gavinshang1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 am

:D happy to see the guide, much help 4 me, ta

LDY
Snobo
Snobo

Post by LDY » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:17 pm

ymazaki wrote:upup :lol:
:ugeek:
ELITE OF NZSP 雷电

tzlqcb
Snobo
Snobo

Post by tzlqcb » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:23 pm

+2 :lol:

Anno
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by Anno » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Great guide, but the negative EXP (at level 10) doesn't work . Well last time i was on anyway.
***///TOP SECRET///*** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbloUQrDLw ***///NOTHING FOLLOWS///***

DyingMoon
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by DyingMoon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:46 am

Awesome guide!
Just the noob island strategy is not up to date anymore. Conc pots do only cost 1k yet.

Static
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Static » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:13 am

nice, good work

Loogie
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Loogie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:28 am

might be beneficial to recommend some starter builds for newbies. Like for example a centuar spear huntress, good survivability, good loot capacity, high speed, and the natural track ability. Good way to begin fresh on a server as a money maker toon. Not sure about pvp-ing with one... melee pvp with medium armor without the benefit of dex? Eh... anyone got a better suggestion?

crat753
Snobo
Snobo

Post by crat753 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Thank you very much for posting this! Extremely helpful.

mthoodlum
Snobo
Snobo

Post by mthoodlum » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Awesome guide. Thank you for the time you put into it.

UmbraSprite
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by UmbraSprite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Dude. Stop necro'ing 3 year old threads!

Return to “New Player Q&A”