In-Game Rules and CCR Discussion

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Twitch: rewenx

In-Game Rules and CCR Discussion

Post by Rewen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Inhabitants of Aerynth, this is your world. It was abandoned by its original creator and host, but you adopted it. You pay it your time and your thoughts, and you deserve a say in how we, as your team, manage it for you.

Content and balance patches have a specific process involving community advocates who gather, refine, and run with your suggestions on how to improve the game's mechanics. This process is similar to how Wolfpack decided on changes, and we think it has worked well so far for us. We want to again involve our community with the issue of CCR's or Community Care Representatives, or game masters.

As we stand at the precipice of Open Beta, we must decide how CCR's will work. We must come to a consensus on what they can do to help you have fun, and how to help you do so on an even playing field. What we don't want is for any user to feel like they are subjected to arbitrary, biased, or under-thought policies. We want to be able to enforce any rules with the majority of you at our backs.

In this thread, I want everyone to think back and remember something someone did in the game at any point in the past that you thought shouldn't be allowed, or some in-game error that put you out, and when a CCR should intervene. We will collect the most common responses and come up with a list of things that you do not want to see in game. After that, we can discuss what reaction the team should take, but for now, let's focus on the basics.

Feel free to use some of the old policy material from live that you liked, but remember that we're not live, we're not Ubisoft, and we're not Wolfpack. The aim of this CCR project is to come from the ground up and build a new set of policies which reflect your feelings from this decade, not the 2000's.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thenebrosity
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Re: In-Game Rules and CCR Discussion

Post by Thenebrosity » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:40 pm

great.. it's CCR_Mindworm all over again...

The only thing I would say should be a Bannable offense is duping.. and should carry other consequences such as losing your capital city or something and/or especially permanent IP bans... IMHO duping was the only reason Shadowbane died. New players who didn't know how to dupe or honest players/nations who refused to cheat all were immediately at a disadvantage and many players old and especially new were disenfranchised by this and left.

Skah! you if you dupe, you'll only ruin the politics and economy of the game, ultimately thwarting any possible growth of our community.

Thor
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Thor » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 am

I've always felt if you lose items (resources, weapons, etc) due to a bug that can be replicated multiple times, you should be allowed to have that item(s) given back to you. Also, it must show in the logs (or is this even possible?).

Also, agreed about duping. If player is caught duping, they're gone. No second chances. Once a duper, always a duper.

Last thing, bring back the freaky CCR heads in-game!!!!

Hidetade
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Hidetade » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Thor wrote:I've always felt if you lose items (resources, weapons, etc) due to a bug that can be replicated multiple times, you should be allowed to have that item(s) given back to you. Also, it must show in the logs (or is this even possible?).

Also, agreed about duping. If player is caught duping, they're gone. No second chances. Once a duper, always a duper.

This is where I somewhat disagree. If someone is duping, they should be given the chance to come clean, if they don't and refuse to help the team figure out the issue and fix the dupe, they should be removed without a second chance. If they comply, agree to have their Skah! deleted, and help fix the dupe, they should be granted amnesty and probably added to the Test Team so they can do this sort of thing in a closed environment.

Jellyfish - GL :: Order of the Pink Pansies - IC :: House of Errants - FM

Thenebrosity
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Thenebrosity » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Hidetade wrote:
Thor wrote:I've always felt if you lose items (resources, weapons, etc) due to a bug that can be replicated multiple times, you should be allowed to have that item(s) given back to you. Also, it must show in the logs (or is this even possible?).

This is where I somewhat disagree. If someone is duping, they should be given the chance to come clean, if they don't and refuse to help the team figure out the issue and fix the dupe, they should be removed without a second chance. If they comply, agree to have their Skah! deleted, and help fix the dupe, they should be granted amnesty and probably added to the Test Team so they can do this sort of thing in a closed environment.
Future duper right there. :roll: :p
.. If someone dupes unintentionally or is testing something, it should be reported immediately (that's the point of beta) with duped items being deleted. If something is duped no reported and taken advantage of.. PERMABAN. Why are you playing beta if you're not reporting bugs and helping better the game, especially if it's such a game breaking issue?

Neal
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Neal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Exploiting into cities during banes via Height Mapping and collision issues

Thor
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Thor » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Neal wrote:Exploiting into cities during banes via Height Mapping and collision issues
It's very hard to prove something like this though. I've seen people warp in to the city and speak in vent "um, I'm in their city now". I wish we could police this because we've seen whole guilds do it first hand.

BiggieMhoothoot
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by BiggieMhoothoot » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Key cloning. This Skah! is stupid.

notdoonossa
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by notdoonossa » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:27 pm

I would like to propose that we have no rules on in game language including racism. I can't tell you how many times i've shouted out racist profanities at a bane while i'm drunk. Every single time someone sends me a pm saying they are going to report me and they never do. I'd like to be confident that I won't be banned for it.
Last edited by notdoonossa on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExE
Snobo
Snobo

Post by ExE » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:28 pm

notdoonossa wrote:I would like to propose that we have no rules on in game language including racism.
Agreed. This isn't pansy [fluffy bunnies] WoW.

Alias
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Alias » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:29 pm

I agree, in todays climate i think we could handle a little good natured racist banter
Dahk - "Chimpy fingerbanged my sister now I'm quitting shadowbane"

Zoopz
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Zoopz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:29 pm

notdoonossa wrote:I would like to propose that we have no rules on in game language including racism.
+1 rACISMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Shax wrote:The Darwin Awards better watch out for Zoopz.
Swing wrote:Zoopz, I think you should have your sig's ears flash on an off, too. There's just not enough animation in that sig.

Seadust
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Seadust » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:30 pm

notdoonossa wrote:I would like to propose that we have no rules on in game language including racism. I can't tell you how many times i've shouted out racist profanities at a bane while i'm drunk. Every single time someone sends me a pm saying they are going to report me and they never do. I'd like to be confident that I won't be banned for it.
I agree with this statement and I can guarantee that I didn't just get an entire box of delicious pixie sticks.

Colest
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Colest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:38 pm

BiggieMhoothoot wrote:Key cloning. This Skah! is stupid.
It's hard to monitor but I agree.

Also agree with the racism. It already occurs anyway with character name filter bypassing so why fight it.

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Balice » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:27 pm

QFT cheated a lot. So if any QFT members log in it should be a bannable offense

notdoonossa
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by notdoonossa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 am

It seems like we have an agreement on the whole racist bit. Can we get a mod to verify?

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Twitch: rewenx

Post by Rewen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am

We'll give this thread some more time to gather responses on that.

Also, no rules will be changing during OB. This discussion pertains to the rules once we're completely out of beta.

Skoot
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by Skoot » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:44 am

Racism is so hot right now. +1
MrZoneSix

notdoonossa
Chilled Zombie
Chilled Zombie

Post by notdoonossa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:24 pm

Skoot wrote:Racism is so hot right now. +1
I'm mainly happy we've found something that everyone can agree on finally

Balice
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Balice » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 pm

+1 to racism. You'd def have my support if this were to happen.

zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by zenjah » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I am fine with racism in game so long as it is based on Shadowbane Lore.

Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

Dreaden
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by Dreaden » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 am

+1 freespeech in game and on forums.

longblade
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by longblade » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:51 pm

I find this vote for "racism" sad. There are clearly a large number of people who don't like it, or people wouldn't get PM's about it when it happens. It makes it impossible to bring new people to the game. The vocal minority shouldn't prevail here. If you can't live without it, keep it in your vent. Thought more people would have grown up since SB was released. Very disappointed in my SB community.

Other than that:
Key Cloning
Duping
Attacking from the inside of objects (trees, runegates, walls)

Colest
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Colest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:48 am

longblade wrote:I find this vote for "racism" sad. There are clearly a large number of people who don't like it, or people wouldn't get PM's about it when it happens. It makes it impossible to bring new people to the game. The vocal minority shouldn't prevail here. If you can't live without it, keep it in your vent. Thought more people would have grown up since SB was released. Very disappointed in my SB community.
It's more of a problem that it's selectively enforced and it's easily able to be bypassed.

longblade
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by longblade » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:51 am

Colest wrote:
longblade wrote:I find this vote for "racism" sad. There are clearly a large number of people who don't like it, or people wouldn't get PM's about it when it happens. It makes it impossible to bring new people to the game. The vocal minority shouldn't prevail here. If you can't live without it, keep it in your vent. Thought more people would have grown up since SB was released. Very disappointed in my SB community.
It's more of a problem that it's selectively enforced and it's easily able to be bypassed.
Enforcing bad choices of language in a game is like trying to enforce drug marijuana laws. You spend a lot of time doing it, and nothing changes. Just have a list of words that can't be typed. If someone must type that stuff with symbols or whatever, more power to them. It should still be discouraged by the community rather than applauded.

I have friends who literally can't play SB because of the stuff that goes on in the community, because it could have an adverse affect on their careers. Be as offensive as you like with your friends in vent, without ruining things for everyone else.

Colest
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Colest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:38 pm

longblade wrote:I have friends who literally can't play SB because of the stuff that goes on in the community, because it could have an adverse affect on their careers.
Come on now. That's being a little melodramatic.

longblade
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by longblade » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Colest wrote:
longblade wrote:I have friends who literally can't play SB because of the stuff that goes on in the community, because it could have an adverse affect on their careers.
Come on now. That's being a little melodramatic.
Nope. Both of them were at the live launch with me. Both are now partners at one of the big 4 accounting firms. When I tried to get them to come back I got a firm "no" because it would "look very bad." I said, "who would know?" I was told "why risk it?"

No melodrama at all.

Tatt
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Tatt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

Asking the community if racism in game should be allowed or not is sad. That is not something you put to a vote in a community game that seeks to welcome new members. Tyranny of the majority and all that.

As for punishments (for whatever is deemed illegal on the server), they should always fall on the heavy handed side otherwise they will be universally ignored. This is the internet on a free server, and suspending a character just means the offender gets on one of his other 20 toons. Meaningless.

zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by zenjah » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Tatt wrote:Asking the community if racism in game should be allowed or not is sad.
Rewen did not ask the community for feedback on racism, and allowing racism was not put to a vote. People trolled the thread with talk of allowing racism, and acted like they had put it to a vote. I guess the trolls fooled you.
Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

xilic
Snobo
Snobo

Post by xilic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:59 pm

what about input on when a ccr should *not* intervene? i remember an o-bane on a qft city on mourning where a ccr attempted to ensure a qft-favorable outcome but the city was still burnt anyways.

edit: on a more positive note (relative to this thread) i remember having to talk to the heads a few times in game. i cant remember the details but i remember being pissed-off afterwards. i think that the reporting system should be strengthened by adding a public identification of the reporter when someone is getting narc'ed on. that might limit spurious or malicious narc'ing presumably with an intent to accomplish via side channel what the reporter couldn't accomplish in-game.
play to crush! - Pyn/LB

Return to “General Discussion”