Icy Troll

Stealing Bug - Announces What you steal in /info

Post by FeiBloodmoore » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:18 am

Forum Date/Time: 10/16/11

Server Rev #: 4691

World Location Coordinates, Macrozone, Microzone: Any

Character Information (race, class, level): Any Thief

Bug Summary:

When a thief steals from someone, it's announced in /info what was stole. It's only suppose to announce something in /info if you failed to peek in someone's bag.

Steps to Reproduce:

Get on a thief and steal from someone successfully. Have several people around to see this.

Additional Information: Moco stole from Silk with me around and I saw this message of what was stole in /info.

Silk
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Stealing Bug - Announces What you steal in /info

Post by Silk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I can't remember what was and wasn't displayed, and if it was just to the target or to everyone around. Gonna consult some thief experts and see what they say.

Moco
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Moco » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:27 pm

Silk wrote:I can't remember what was and wasn't displayed, and if it was just to the target or to everyone around. Gonna consult some thief experts and see what they say.
They only time it displayed is when you failed/got caught. If it showed everything I did what would I need catlike or stealth for :lol:
Pertonas - "We will not bane Stimutax because it is a CN nation" "you play a bird scout & exploit constantly"

Silk
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Silk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 am

Peek:

Notifies target and all nearby only on detect. Detect is still a successful peek though I believe. If you outright fail I don't recall there being a notify to everyone nearby.

Steal:

Notifies only the target on a successful steal. I don't think it says anything to the target when you fail.

That sound right to people?

FeiBloodmoore
Icy Troll
Icy Troll

Post by FeiBloodmoore » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Yeah, more than it is now. As long as it don't announce it to everyone that ThiefA stole something from UnsuspectingNewb.

farmy
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by farmy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:35 am

Silk wrote:Peek:

Notifies target and all nearby only on detect. Detect is still a successful peek though I believe. If you outright fail I don't recall there being a notify to everyone nearby.

Steal:

Notifies only the target on a successful steal. I don't think it says anything to the target when you fail.

That sound right to people?
next build will be set like this, with the exception that there is currently no logic for a detect on a successful peak.

- what percentage of sucessfull peaks would you expect to trigger that message (gm peak / equal level characters)?
- what should the message be?

Silk
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Silk » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 am

Not sure what percentage would trigger the message, maybe only if you barely succeeded based on the calculation? lower 33% maybe?

"You catch (name) peeking through your belongings!" I think is what the message was. Note that if they are stealthed, (name) is "someone".

farmy
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by farmy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 pm

ok, this functionality has been added.

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Twitch: rewenx

Post by Rewen » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 am

I noticed today that failed peek attemts are also shown in the info channel.

Thenebrosity
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by Thenebrosity » Thu May 03, 2012 11:12 pm

from what I remember, if you actually peeked successfully no knew, if you failed to peek a message would come up if you failed.. something like DETECTED.. it wouldn't break stealth so people would then go crazy and sprint away/recall/aoe

Mobs, in the other-hand, if they detected your peek the mob that you were trying to peek would start attacking you (most of the time they would miss so you could usually get away safely without the mob breaking your stealth).. I know this from peeking the R8 mob and running away from it when my peek failed (it failed often)... what is peek's success rate base off anyway?

I don't remember what you stole ever being announced (to everyone), I know it tells the person what you stole from them.. I think.. I know it told you what you stole.. don't think it every let everyone know though..

Ajushi
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Ajushi » Sat May 05, 2012 11:36 pm

No, the chance to be detected was a completely separate roll from peak success. Or rather, the chance of being detected was not tied to success or failure of peaking in any noticeable fashion.

As far as I'm aware, only the person being peaked and the peaker get the messages. "You catch X blah blah" "X catches you blah blah" etc.
Now you must build the lies you have told.

Alyriel
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Alyriel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:28 am

r4859

Currently its working like this:

Peek - notifies all on failure, notifies target on detected.
Steal - notifies target on success, notifies caster only on failure.

Logan
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by Logan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Alyriel wrote:r4859

This is pretty much correct if I remember right but the peek notification on failure wasn't sent on the /info channel it was in /system or /powers just FYI. No character mechanic sent messages on the /info channel.

Vervandi
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Vervandi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Logan wrote:
Alyriel wrote:r4859

This is pretty much correct if I remember right but the peek notification on failure wasn't sent on the /info channel it was in /system or /powers just FYI. No character mechanic sent messages on the /info channel.
I remember it working like this:

The thief and the victim were the only ones to ever get messages.

The thief got all the messages.

The outcomes could be as follows:

Thief fails to peek, thief received message, victim does not receive message. "You fail to get a good look at the goods."

Thief fails to peek, thief receives message, victim receives message. "You fail to get a good look at the goods." and "You catch so and so looking through your (whatever, can't remember)."

Thief succeeds to peek, thief receives message, victim does not receive message.

Thief succeeds to peek, thief receives message, victim receives message.

Thief fails to steal. thief receives message, victim does not receive message.

Thief fails to steal. Thief receives message, victim receives message. Message for the victim had something to do with the attempt, something to the effect of "So and so attempts to steal something"

Thief succeeds to steal, thief receives message including gold amount if that was the target item. Victim receives no message.

Thief succeeds to steal, thief receives message, victim receives message, including gold amount stolen.

These messages were shown in powers like Logan said and no one else was a recipient of the message besides the thief and the victim.

Besides these bugs, the formula itself is completely messed up. The success rate on attempting to peek and steal are both extremely low, even when you are higher level than the target character and you have both GMd.

Also, when you move after peeking, the window disappears. On live the window would stay up unless you closed it. It is almost impossible (Maybe completely impossible) to rob a mob because if the mob catches you peeking them, they teleport away and moving to them closes the window.

The success rate is a fraction of what it was on live currently, no matter the level of the thief/victim or how many trains you have in the two skills. I know sky dancer has taken over as their class defining ability, but some of us still like to play steal thieves and this is one of the major skills of the class, so it should be a high priority bug.
“some days, some nights, some live, some die, in the way of the Jen'e'tai, some fight, some bleed, sun up to sun down, the sons of a battlecry ”

"Every day I worry all day, about what's waiting in the bushes of love."

GRANTO
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by GRANTO » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Vervandi wrote:
The thief and the victim were the only ones to ever get messages.
This is correct

Return to “Thief”