Dalgoth Launching 15th January
Greetings all! First off, a quick apology on our behalf for the long wait between our updates. As you know, it's a particularly busy time of year and we've had things come up individually that made it hard for us to commit time to the project. We're back now though and looking to the future!
The first part of that is our Dalgoth Re-Launch! It'll open on the 15th of January, 2016. What a great way to start off the new year, eh!?
Come one come all!
On the new server you can look forward to the following:
- Dalgoth Reforged map, similar to last time - a map focused on conflict with a smaller number of zones, realms and city locations.
- Increased XP & Gold Rates - jump straight into the action this time around!
- Bane Balance Anti-Zerg Mechanism - we'll talk more about this below.
- Scroll of Knowledge bug fix.
- A final chance to get involved with the Reforged in Flame Patch Line - this is your final chance to check out many of the RiF updates to the game, and decide what you do like & what you don't. Much of it will be getting reverted, removed or polished up based on your feedback this go around.
You can also expect us to be actively involved as much as we can be! We'll be monitoring the server for keycloners, dupes or those gaming the system. We'll be hoping to enlist your help in solving any bugs or issues that come up. We'll be here trying to ensure a smooth gameplay environment is achieved, and we'll be looking into any major issues that come up. RichV, Aeroch, Koots, Candi, Omnius, Zooks, Daymar and myself are all here and we'll be around as much as we can. We've recently moved the server over to a more permanent home, which greatly reduces the costs and burden on some of the senior staff - but more importantly ensures longevity with our server solution. Hurrah!
We'll also be working on the 2.0 update, which we'll talk about in the development diary. More importantly, we're here, we'll be listening, responding and staying in touch regularly. We'll be acting on any issues that come up to the best of our ability.
Anti Zerg/Boxing Mechanism: Siege Bonus
As part of the feedback we received throughout 2015, we're focusing on ways to mitigate boxing and zerging issues. The first round of this will be ready and coming to Dalgoth launch. It'll be focused on Banes by reducing the need for boxing and giving a small bonus to outnumbered guilds.
- Crashers will receive a small, but noticeable debuff. This should deter guilds involved in a bane from bringing multiple tags. Crasher guilds are still welcome and will still be viable, but it won't be useful in trying to game the system.
- Both the defenders and siegers will receive a Siege Bonus, just like they do and have done. The Siege Bonus will now be a Health bonus.
- Once one side or the other outnumbers the opposing side by more than 5 (or 10 - this is something we can tweak and get exactly right), the larger side loses their siege bonus.
- In addition, the Siege Bonus affecting the smaller side will become slightly stronger for every person over 5 (or 10) that the larger guild has. It will affect health, damage and power damage, becoming increasingly more powerful. The lesson here is bringing bots, multiboxing or using zerg tactics may actually back fire on you. You'll be less tanky and deal less damage than those you're fighting.
- We chose this route as it's nothing new. The siege bonus already exists and has existed - we're just making it scale based on numbers of your opponent and yourself.
We hope this deters a botting/boxing/zerg gameplay and multiboxing meta. It's the first round and we will watch the effect of this siege bonus carefully and tweak as desired.
When we have the above Dalgoth RiF server launched, we'll be switching most of our attention to finishing SBE 2.0. You may have heard bits and pieces of the purpose of this update through the grapevine, but we have yet to cement the full scope of the update. Some of the key features will be coming up in the development diary very soon. For now though, here are a few of the main points:
- We'll be switching to Vorringia.
- We'll be reverting or removing much of the Reforged in Flame balance reworks. This includes things like the prelate, druid or healer reworks. The major reworks that shifted balance and were complex.
- Smaller, impactful, positive and cost effective chages will stay, based on your feedback. For example, the stealth fix will be in, in some form or another with slight tweaks.
- We will focus on content updates. This means the new Noob Island will stay. The Outpost system will stay. The useless Discipline updates will stay, and we'll continue working on them.
- Some of the reworks or RiF changes can stay based on the feedback we receive. We will keep all of the related database entries and code, and allow the community to suggest updates from RiF to add to SBE 2.0.
- We'll also encourage the community to think of anything from RiF, or even Classic Shadowbane, that they would like to see in the game. For example, group runbuffs.
- We will focus on small, iterative patches and balance tweaks instead of larger ones. We will keep our team focus on content.
- We will work on an anti-boxing/zerg framework. This may or may not include singleboxing limitations, depending on time limitations, but we will aim to deter mass boxing, keycloning and zerg gameplay in any form we can.
SBEmu 2.0 will launch after Dalgoth, when it's closer to completion. We need your feedback from the upcoming Dalgoth phase to help shape 2.0. What you want, or don't want for it to include.
The basis of our 2.0 update is this: We're shifting our project back into a more classic-lite approach. We're removing all the huge, complex or unnecessary reworks that came too-fast-too-soon, but we'll be keeping the content updates, useless discipline reworks and some smaller, singular balance updates that were cost effective, because we've received feedback that these are the areas that went well. Then, YOU can decide what you want patched in - from SB Classic, or from RiF, or something brand new - all the while we work on bugs, content and useless disciplines.
This is a very exciting time for the project and we're glad to be finally back in the action. Remember, our next server launches on the 15th of January and it'll be easy to jump into. See you there!