serious replies only
Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Twitch: rewenx

New Player Open-Ended Survey

Post by Rewen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Hello newbies!

I'm interested in how we can improve the user-friendliness of the forum resources, and make things more intuitive for new players. Here are some things I am personally curious about, but any constructive feedback is welcome.
  • What were the hardest things to learn when you first started?
  • How quickly were you directed to the resource that helped you, and what resource was it?
  • What do you like or dislike about the forum structure?
  • Which "unwritten rules" did you learn about way too late?
Thanks for helping us out, and welcome to SBEmu!

exiledtyrant
Snobo
Snobo

Re: New Player Open-Ended Survey

Post by exiledtyrant » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:00 pm

I'd like to start off by saying I found this game yesterday off a blog from MMORPGcom. I did a bunch of reading and got in and messed with two characters up to about level 5-10 to get a feel for the movement and combat. The game adapts pretty well to my xpadder emulator I just need to mess with a few more hot key buttons to get it where I need it. It was terrible launching on full screen mode and windowed was worse than that while playing it on my TV. Even after adjustment little parts are still cut off so I'll have to find a way to shrink it.

I can not post topics or PM anyone including admins as to why. I'm not even sure if this post will go through
. I could really use some class help for number constraints and mechanic/gameplay help that isn't on the wiki.

What were the hardest things to learn when you first started?
Finding mobs I could kill. I swore I was going crazy reading he new player guides about a town and killable monsters nearby. I apparently picked the wrong starter spot. I spent the first hour attempting to fight things, having to run away and then heal. Apparently the level 1-10 skull area only has level 10 mobs. When I tried another character I picked a new spot and the mobs way off to the left were the level 1 and up camps. There's no indication that those smaller mobs are there though. Only red dots with shields on the world map that I suppose are representing guild names. The map in general was hard to follow when looking for cities.

It reminded me a lot of my first time playing anarchy online where going south opens up the entire wilderness( hours of zones to get through with no way to get back if you used the basic maps) to a player and walking just around the corner north( of course out of view) takes you into the cities where you belong.

How quickly were you directed to the resource that helped you, and what resource was it?
I looked for the wiki because that's always the first source to go to after forums.

What do you like or dislike about the forum structure?
I can't post or do anything on it. I can't even search while logged in.

Which "unwritten rules" did you learn about way too late?
I have read about some but haven't experienced any.

zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by zenjah » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:12 pm

exiledtyrant, welcome aboard!

You will be able to post new topics and PM people after you have replied to a handful of posts. This is to prevent spambots, I suppose. I don't know the exact number, but you will certainly be able to post/PM after making 15 replies. One of the unwritten rules is that you should go to this thread and spam your way to 15 posts. Don't necro a bunch of old threads to get to 15.
Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

exiledtyrant
Snobo
Snobo

Post by exiledtyrant » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks a lot everything is unlocked now.
No time No long good-bye
No time No answer for the reason why
No Guarantees in life Save for the end
Which is no big surprise
-Psychedelic Soul

Cassidor
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cassidor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey all, I'm new to sbemu as well, though I've periodically checked the progress of the emulator development. I played some SB in college and again after it went f2p. I had so much fun playing the game that, while playing other mmos of the more modern variety, I commiserated with a gamer buddy/ fellow SB enthusiast about how much we wish this game hadn't gone away. Now, with the emulator in beta, it's looking like we might get our chance to play it again one day!

I couldn't make a new post, so I apologize for making an introductory message in the survey thread. I will happily edit this in the future. I am on a cell phone at work, but when I get home I'm hoping to delve into how to get the emulator running.

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Rewen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Not a problem, Cassidor.

As an anti-spam measure, we require accounts to have 15 posts before making new threads or sending PM's.

Here's a thread where you can spam some nonsense to get there quicker.

Cassidor
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Cassidor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Appreciated, I'll get to spamming.

RisingForce
Snobo
Snobo

Post by RisingForce » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 am

Rewen wrote:Hello newbies!

I'm interested in how we can improve the user-friendliness of the forum resources, and make things more intuitive for new players. Here are some things I am personally curious about, but any constructive feedback is welcome.
  • How quickly were you directed to the resource that helped you, and what resource was it?
Thanks for helping us out, and welcome to SBEmu!
It's wonderful to see this! Thank you very much for this wonderful spot on the forums!! :D

The vast array of character/class/etc. variables

Within a day. Though, sporadic info at best and still working on it. There's kind of a lot to take in regarding that.

I disliked the absence of an area of the forum for new player help and introductions. Even created a petition about it. Then, Rewen saved the day! ;D

None, yet

jedeyemindtrick
Snobo
Snobo

Post by jedeyemindtrick » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 pm

I am unable to post new topics/message users. Why is that? Registered the other day for the beta. Moderator help please!

Candi
Retired Test Team Lead
Retired Test Team Lead

Post by Candi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:01 am

First, welcome! You need 15 posts before being able to send PM's. To quickly increase post count, I suggest, post here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=354

DrizitTheWizard
Snobo
Snobo

Post by DrizitTheWizard » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Personally I think there should be a 'Getting Started' link on the front page. One that will give all the information you need to download the client and get logged in. As it is now someone could easily come here and have no idea if the Emulator is live or not without doing some digging.

Candi
Retired Test Team Lead
Retired Test Team Lead

Post by Candi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:31 am

DrizitTheWizard wrote:Personally I think there should be a 'Getting Started' link on the front page. One that will give all the information you need to download the client and get logged in. As it is now someone could easily come here and have no idea if the Emulator is live or not without doing some digging.
A page like you describe is being worked on currently by Rewen and myself. Thanks for the suggestion :).

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 am

Not a newbie by any means, but an UPDATED MORLOCH WIKI to show the changes done in RiF (and also correct errors in wiki that were already there) would help the majority of the population. If somebody wants to build a toon, he has to do it by arkanis calc or something, check morlochwiki often and search through the forum to find the content of the RiF patches (I always have a problem finding special lore race class combinations).

xilic
Snobo
Snobo

Post by xilic » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:03 pm

preface, i'm not exactly new to sb but i am new to sbemu

[*]What were the hardest things to learn when you first started?

learning to reconcile why a particular players public comments against cupping had no bearing when their city was in trouble and they used their kr or cn speed dial links to bring in help. i learned that it's just something that you don't worry about.

[*]How quickly were you directed to the resource that helped you, and what resource was it?

pretty fast. i was told about standing on carpets and shooting through windows and wall edges almost immediately. the resource was other players experiences.

[*]What do you like or dislike about the forum structure?

there's probably a view-sort order that organizes everything in newest to oldest regardless of pinned-status but i cba to find it.

[*]Which "unwritten rules" did you learn about way too late?

exploit early and exploit often before it gets fixed because there's rarely a rollback. i missed out on lots of dupe bugs because of that.
play to crush! - Pyn/LB

AmazingTacoBurito
Snobo
Snobo

Post by AmazingTacoBurito » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 pm

What were the hardest things to learn when you first started?
When I first started, how to play the game. Coming back and playing SBEMU, remembering all my builds and how to play them, and getting used to a regular server since I only liked to play test.

How quickly were you directed to the resource that helped you, and what resource was it?
Within my first day, the wiki.

What do you like or dislike about the forum structure?
I like a lot of it, needs an introduction section. Needs search function (I cannot find it).

Which "unwritten rules" did you learn about way too late?
None
Last edited by AmazingTacoBurito on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Rewen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:07 pm

8Shade wrote:Not a newbie by any means, but an UPDATED MORLOCH WIKI to show the changes done in RiF (and also correct errors in wiki that were already there) would help the majority of the population. If somebody wants to build a toon, he has to do it by arkanis calc or something, check morlochwiki often and search through the forum to find the content of the RiF patches (I always have a problem finding special lore race class combinations).
Added a link to the RIF patch notes to the wiki home page. Look for "recent patch changes" on the left side.

8Shade
Snowy Mino
Snowy Mino

Post by 8Shade » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Rewen wrote:
8Shade wrote:Not a newbie by any means, but an UPDATED MORLOCH WIKI to show the changes done in RiF (and also correct errors in wiki that were already there) would help the majority of the population. If somebody wants to build a toon, he has to do it by arkanis calc or something, check morlochwiki often and search through the forum to find the content of the RiF patches (I always have a problem finding special lore race class combinations).
Added a link to the RIF patch notes to the wiki home page. Look for "recent patch changes" on the left side.
This is what I was waiting for. One place to see all the changes in RiF not scattered and hidden inside quotes, so we can easily search it. Great job!

s3nate
Snobo
Snobo

Post by s3nate » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:07 am

I didn't realize there was a greater conc pot. I kept using def and dex pots. I found out by looting one off a player's inventory. The next thing i knew nothing about was how long stun and pb immunity lasted. I figured this out by practicing on my summon bot.

Rujind
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Rujind » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:41 am

Hiya, just here to help.

I never got to play Shadowbane back in the day. The game came out in an era when P2P MMOs began flooding the market and I think that is one of the main reasons it isn't still alive today. I've been checking this site every now and then for the past 2 years, waiting for the opportunity to play. I just started a couple days ago. Here's my experience so far.

The first thing I dealt with was the game settings. The in-game settings don't let you adjust the resolution to custom values, and I didn't know about SBconfig.exe. After tweaking the settings, I made my character.

I forget where I read, but an explanation of attributes made it sound like dexterity affected movement speed, so I have a mage with a ton of a dex right now :P Definitely one of the pluses for me with Shadowbane is the amount of races and classes though. I ended up with an Irekei Fury.

After getting in game, the next thing to deal with is the UI and controls. This was definitely the hardest thing to deal with for me, lol. It took me a while to find out that I cannot use a WASD+Mouse control scheme, so it took some time getting used to that. I have to right click to move, and use the edge of the screen for the camera. I believe most of the SB veterans probably use arrow keys or numpad for camera, but I'm not sure I can get used to that. Which is a common problem with older MMOs. They all have different control schemes and UI mechanics, whereas all the modern MMOs typically work exactly the same. I certainly like being able to put my abilities anywhere on the screen, I've never understood why so many games don't do this, and only have hotbars.

Finally, it's time to start adventuring. I don't know if SB has quests, so I started looking for mobs to grind. I never saw any other player, except one named magea who was clearly botting on a group of Risens just outside the village. I claimed the nearby group of haunts for myself.

I like being able to choose where to spend my points, choice is pretty non-existant in the modern MMO. Having no idea if I was even on the right track with my character, I began using the who command and started sending random people tells, but sadly none ever responded. I did seem to notice a lot of idle players, then later found out about "buffbots." Being spammed with PVP messages, I knew there had to be players in the world somewhere, but I don't know when or where that happens. With my ridiculous sleep patterns I am often online at completely off hours, I'm sure this is the main reason I didn't run into other players. I did eventually find one guy with whom I grinded on some ratmen with. After he left, I soloed the camp to level 21. He had also given me some potions that buffed all of my stats, hugely, which I later found to be pretty cheap from an alchemist vendor.

The last thing I want to bring up before the TL;DR list is that it's nice to have a number of abilities. These modern MMOs where you have only 1 hotbar OR LESS of abilities is kind of driving me mad.

TL;DR; a list of things that should be made more obvious to new players and put in new player guides:
-Help with settings, SBconfig.exe, resolutions, etc
-Help with UI (maybe make resizeable map part of the default files, I found this tip on the forums)
-Detailed information on attributes
-Info about alchemist and runemaster
-^BUY POTIONS!
-^Teleporting is free?!
-Items need to be sold to appropriate vendors
-Identifying I think increases the sell value of items? Does everyone get the identify power?
-IRC channel? I can't seem to find one if it exists. This is pretty important IMO.

There's probably a lot more I could add. I think a lot of the people who have written newbie guides (which I'm grateful for, btw!) forget what it's like to be a TRUE newbie to a game, especially older MMOs which are a lot different. So a lot of the guides are more stretched out and more based on telling you where to go to level. Anywho, I hope my advice is helpful!

Sazquatch
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Sazquatch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 am

I just discovered Shadowbane.

There are many dead links in the forums to download the client - the old host says the account stopped 25-01-2015, so I suppose it is something you guys are currently reacting to.

With the emergency upload of the client - there seems to be no install option - so I got the client to work, by manually pasting the unzipped files into a folder.

I found the latest patch link, unzipped it into the same directory.

Unfortunately the SB.exe starts the client in a window, where options etc. are off screen.

Closing the client with taskmanager works.

But the Config.wpak file seems not to be exectutable within windows 8.1 - so I cannot adjust resolution or full screen options.

so... I can't play *sniffs

So regarding the survey

- Bad links
- I am awaiting help
- "Post Reply" button is a bit small, no obvious search function (to find if I am not asking the same question as 100 other players), there is no option for new players to post a new topic in the 'HELP' section of the forum - so new problems or problems you can't find because there is no visible search function will have to be posted on non-relating threads.
- Can't find any rules regarding how/when I can make an avatar or sig, or even if it possible

My tone btw is light-hearted, I am just answering your questions.

Saz

EDIT: Ah - I just found the User Control Panel, it doesn't stand out enough, looks like its part of Messages/FAQ etc. - general info not important personal info - I don't know about you, but "ME" needs to have more shinnie....

MUHAHahahaa :D

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Rewen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Welcome, some of the links in my signature should help.

Check out "How to join SBEmu" for a full guide.

Sazquatch
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Sazquatch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Rewen wrote:Welcome, some of the links in my signature should help.

Check out "How to join SBEmu" for a full guide.

Hi Rewen,

Your Sig link on how to join - goes to a wiki where the windows client download leads to a GoDaddy page - is this where I should be - I cant see any Shadowbane links..

Rewen
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Rewen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:45 am

That should be resolved now. Someone has hosted a new version of the file.

Sazquatch
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Sazquatch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:43 am

Downloading now - Thank you

Kalaber
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Kalaber » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 pm

I'm sure this has been said already, but the worst thing is not being able to post off the bat. Noob players of any game start off with questions and generally have no useful information to impart, so responding to existing threads in order to post those nagging initial questions is really frustrating.

I'll just have to keep plugging away until I can ask the ten or so questions that are really bugging me. (and yes, I did search the forums for answers).

zenjah
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by zenjah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:28 pm

You are allowed to spam your way to 10 posts in this thread only:

The pointless quest for post count... (Spam Here!)

Make some random replies in that thread and then you will be able to start your own threads and ask away.
Master spies and infiltrators, the Nephilim have spread throughout Aerynth in secret, and perhaps only the Dark Lords know precisely how many there are.

dblaze9891
Snobo
Snobo

Post by dblaze9891 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:19 am

Hi,
Honestly- I just can't figure out how to d/l the game and play...

I would love to as back in the day I was big into SB... Please let me know how I can do that- Thanks

Candi
Retired Test Team Lead
Retired Test Team Lead

Post by Candi » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

dblaze9891 wrote:Hi,
Honestly- I just can't figure out how to d/l the game and play...

I would love to as back in the day I was big into SB... Please let me know how I can do that- Thanks
viewtopic.php?f=381&t=23433

darq
Snobo
Snobo

Post by darq » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:49 pm

First time I'm playing since.. SB beta I guess, no I did play at release but not much.

So I create a guy, join All-Father's rest, grind to level 11, so have some lvl20 thief corpsecamp me.
Why is PvP enabled on Newbie Isle?

I deleted the guy and created a new guy on the lvl20 thief's faction.
I don't know why I'm not able to join that faction.

At this rate I'm gone quicker than you can say "good riddance".
I'll not play entertainment for some frustrated Skah!.
I understand once, but corpsecamping get the Skah! outta here, kindergarden

Return to “New Player Q&A”