SBEmu Dalgoth Re-Opening 15th January

A storage place for old announcements
Starfish
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

SBEmu Dalgoth Re-Opening 15th January

Post by Starfish » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Dalgoth Launching 15th January

Greetings all! First off, a quick apology on our behalf for the long wait between our updates. As you know, it's a particularly busy time of year and we've had things come up individually that made it hard for us to commit time to the project. We're back now though and looking to the future!

The first part of that is our Dalgoth Re-Launch! It'll open on the 15th of January, 2016. What a great way to start off the new year, eh!?

Come one come all!

On the new server you can look forward to the following:
  • Dalgoth Reforged map, similar to last time - a map focused on conflict with a smaller number of zones, realms and city locations.
  • Increased XP & Gold Rates - jump straight into the action this time around!
  • Bane Balance Anti-Zerg Mechanism - we'll talk more about this below.
  • Scroll of Knowledge bug fix.
  • A final chance to get involved with the Reforged in Flame Patch Line - this is your final chance to check out many of the RiF updates to the game, and decide what you do like & what you don't. Much of it will be getting reverted, removed or polished up based on your feedback this go around.

Active Development

You can also expect us to be actively involved as much as we can be! We'll be monitoring the server for keycloners, dupes or those gaming the system. We'll be hoping to enlist your help in solving any bugs or issues that come up. We'll be here trying to ensure a smooth gameplay environment is achieved, and we'll be looking into any major issues that come up. RichV, Aeroch, Koots, Candi, Omnius, Zooks, Daymar and myself are all here and we'll be around as much as we can. We've recently moved the server over to a more permanent home, which greatly reduces the costs and burden on some of the senior staff - but more importantly ensures longevity with our server solution. Hurrah!

We'll also be working on the 2.0 update, which we'll talk about in the development diary. More importantly, we're here, we'll be listening, responding and staying in touch regularly. We'll be acting on any issues that come up to the best of our ability.

Anti Zerg/Boxing Mechanism: Siege Bonus

As part of the feedback we received throughout 2015, we're focusing on ways to mitigate boxing and zerging issues. The first round of this will be ready and coming to Dalgoth launch. It'll be focused on Banes by reducing the need for boxing and giving a small bonus to outnumbered guilds.
  • Crashers will receive a small, but noticeable debuff. This should deter guilds involved in a bane from bringing multiple tags. Crasher guilds are still welcome and will still be viable, but it won't be useful in trying to game the system.
  • Both the defenders and siegers will receive a Siege Bonus, just like they do and have done. The Siege Bonus will now be a Health bonus.
  • Once one side or the other outnumbers the opposing side by more than 5 (or 10 - this is something we can tweak and get exactly right), the larger side loses their siege bonus.
  • In addition, the Siege Bonus affecting the smaller side will become slightly stronger for every person over 5 (or 10) that the larger guild has. It will affect health, damage and power damage, becoming increasingly more powerful. The lesson here is bringing bots, multiboxing or using zerg tactics may actually back fire on you. You'll be less tanky and deal less damage than those you're fighting.
  • We chose this route as it's nothing new. The siege bonus already exists and has existed - we're just making it scale based on numbers of your opponent and yourself.
We hope this deters a botting/boxing/zerg gameplay and multiboxing meta. It's the first round and we will watch the effect of this siege bonus carefully and tweak as desired.

SBEmu 2.0

When we have the above Dalgoth RiF server launched, we'll be switching most of our attention to finishing SBE 2.0. You may have heard bits and pieces of the purpose of this update through the grapevine, but we have yet to cement the full scope of the update. Some of the key features will be coming up in the development diary very soon. For now though, here are a few of the main points:
  • We'll be switching to Vorringia.
  • We'll be reverting or removing much of the Reforged in Flame balance reworks. This includes things like the prelate, druid or healer reworks. The major reworks that shifted balance and were complex.
  • Smaller, impactful, positive and cost effective chages will stay, based on your feedback. For example, the stealth fix will be in, in some form or another with slight tweaks.
  • We will focus on content updates. This means the new Noob Island will stay. The Outpost system will stay. The useless Discipline updates will stay, and we'll continue working on them.
  • Some of the reworks or RiF changes can stay based on the feedback we receive. We will keep all of the related database entries and code, and allow the community to suggest updates from RiF to add to SBE 2.0.
  • We'll also encourage the community to think of anything from RiF, or even Classic Shadowbane, that they would like to see in the game. For example, group runbuffs.
  • We will focus on small, iterative patches and balance tweaks instead of larger ones. We will keep our team focus on content.
  • We will work on an anti-boxing/zerg framework. This may or may not include singleboxing limitations, depending on time limitations, but we will aim to deter mass boxing, keycloning and zerg gameplay in any form we can.
SBEmu 2.0 will launch after Dalgoth, when it's closer to completion. We need your feedback from the upcoming Dalgoth phase to help shape 2.0. What you want, or don't want for it to include.

The basis of our 2.0 update is this: We're shifting our project back into a more classic-lite approach. We're removing all the huge, complex or unnecessary reworks that came too-fast-too-soon, but we'll be keeping the content updates, useless discipline reworks and some smaller, singular balance updates that were cost effective, because we've received feedback that these are the areas that went well. Then, YOU can decide what you want patched in - from SB Classic, or from RiF, or something brand new - all the while we work on bugs, content and useless disciplines.

This is a very exciting time for the project and we're glad to be finally back in the action. Remember, our next server launches on the 15th of January and it'll be easy to jump into. See you there!

kopko
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Re: SBEmu Dalgoth Re-Opening 15th January

Post by kopko » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:21 pm

time has come

MoronPatrol
Snobo
Snobo

Post by MoronPatrol » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:27 pm

This will be hilariously bad.

12jseitzer
Snobo
Snobo

Post by 12jseitzer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:56 pm

And so it begins....

-Vanish

shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by shadowboxer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:24 pm

About time you took care of multi-boxing, I'll admit I always had a buffbot, but 2 guys controlling 2 full groups is ridiculous...

shadowboxer
Snowy Harpy
Snowy Harpy

Post by shadowboxer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Good changes, I'll be coming back to play..

Drenath
Ice Drake
Ice Drake

Post by Drenath » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:27 pm

LOLOLOLOL

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:53 pm

many hearty chuckles will certainly be had for the first 2 weeks if your guild plays ^_^
Last edited by Dyson on Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dahk
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Dahk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:54 pm

We do tend to have quite a lot of laughs in our voice coms

Dyson
Wolven Brute
Wolven Brute

Post by Dyson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:02 pm

all that self-deprecating humor no doubt

NotaBene
Snobo
Snobo

Post by NotaBene » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:09 pm

shadowboxer wrote:Good changes, I'll be coming back to play..
Same!

Evilmilkcow
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Evilmilkcow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Thx for the hard work! And happy holidays for all sbemu team! As for the siege bonus how will it determin the radius?

wang011014
Snobo
Snobo

Post by wang011014 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Look forward to

kajiiz
Snobo
Snobo

Post by kajiiz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Evilmilkcow wrote:Thx for the hard work! And happy holidays for all sbemu team! As for the siege bonus how will it determin the radius?
I'm assuming it has the same effects as the spires would and just be the city grid. I guess this helps banes but what about mines?
Can people still box 10 characters per person or what?

Bleeds
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Bleeds » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 pm

will their be a test phase before it goes live?

Anklebiter
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Anklebiter » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Thx for for bringing server back and listening to feedback . Can you try to apply same sort of deterrent for mutli boxers at mines and at outpost as that was a major problem !

Evilmilkcow
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Evilmilkcow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:30 pm

kajiiz wrote:
Evilmilkcow wrote:Thx for the hard work! And happy holidays for all sbemu team! As for the siege bonus how will it determin the radius?
I'm assuming it has the same effects as the spires would and just be the city grid. I guess this helps banes but what about mines?
Can people still box 10 characters per person or what?
I was hoping something further than a spire. Or I will have my reinforced outside the spire range and put it in once my main force is having casualties. A spire range times 2 would be nice it would give at least 2 minute of travel distance into the engage point. And I think limited boxing is a different mechanic.

sb945
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by sb945 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Perfect!

Thanks for the update and re-opening.

qwertying1
Snobo
Snobo

Post by qwertying1 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:00 pm

I recommend: SBEmu 2.0 for a period of testing, such as two weeks. Then formally launched.

Kaycer
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Kaycer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Haha. Good joke. You Listen to feedback.

How about you make the all the default game features work! Then you worry about your "balance".

This server has only ever succeeded at breaking the game further and ignoring majority input for the Skah! ideas of a few. While sensoring any negative criticism from your forums like your Kim Jong.

Gl, I'll check it out but I remain highly skepticial.

Maggyar21
Snobo
Snobo

Post by Maggyar21 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Kaycer wrote:Haha. Good joke. You Listen to feedback.

How about you make the all the default game features work! Then you worry about your "balance".

This server has only ever succeeded at breaking the game further and ignoring majority input for the Skah! ideas of a few. While sensoring any negative criticism from your forums like your Kim Jong.

Gl, I'll check it out but I remain highly skepticial.

What's cool is that you don't have to play it! Better yet, front all the expense and do it yourself! These guys don't make anything off doing this and quite frankly, I appreciate being able to play at all.

RavenHawk
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by RavenHawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:30 am

Id love to see rangers in guardian leather again!

AriusSerillious
Snobo
Snobo

Post by AriusSerillious » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:30 am

Looking forward to playing Shadowbane again! Thank you for all your hard work. Can't wait to join up and Play to Crush!

Also, will be streaming on Twitch and got quite a few people interested in playing too =]

khwylar
Snobo
Snobo

Post by khwylar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:46 am

Wow, thanks for hard working guys!

didiao
Chilly Orc
Chilly Orc

Post by didiao » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:39 am

We CN are very excited.

Dachende
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Dachende » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:29 am

Good to see some sort of update. Cheers.

Whatever
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Whatever » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:22 pm

the facebook post said something about "classic shadowbane", the true classic is 24.3 + bugfixes

Also, those
too-fast-too-soon
could have been avoided and team-time better spent if feedback had been listened too way back, so personally i am doubtfull

Starfish
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Starfish » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:04 pm

As the post stated, we'll be taking a few steps back towards classic in terms of class balance, only keeping the small, cost effective and positive singular changes while reverting the complex reworks. We won't be striving for 24.3 as we've passed that milestone. We will focus instead on updating useless disciplines, bringing you new content and bug fixes. We'll also work in a slower more incremental form of balancing, but more regular rather then large patches every few months. This allows us to make smaller changes on a more regular basis.

Again, to temper expectation, this won't be a "true classic" as we have no faith in that form. This will be classic-lite where the community can decide which direction we take in the form of balance and at a much easier, slower pace. For example, if we wanted to take some balance things from classic and add them here, such as group runbuffs, we could. It's all up to the community!

Dachende
Snobo Seer
Snobo Seer

Post by Dachende » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Well obviously group run buffs are making a come back whether we suggest it or not, as you've already mentioned them twice. One doesn't have to be a genius to see that's something you've already got your sticky little hands all over :)

Starfish
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by Starfish » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:04 pm

or it's just a really well known item from classic balance and therefore a good example! Hah

I don't really care for or against them - I'm more of a fan of the old armor balance, where class gear wasn't what you HAD to wear. Mix and match and not lose stats. Or just use 100% ugly stuff. Stylebane! That would be my personal contender for a classic change :)

Return to “Archived”